Live - Transfer deadline day

Leaving out their strikers newcastle have a really good midfield and defenders. And even though i think they will struggle for the rest of the season they can get a much better striker for much less at the end of the season
That wont matter if they're not in the premier league next season.

All I can say is WOW!

3 massive transfers, Carroll, Torres and Luiz, and they should all be brilliant for their new clubs. Really happy with what Wolves have too, Hammill looks really good, and O'Hara should be competent too. What a transfer window, one of the best deadline days for a long time :)
Don't forget you also got Leigh Griffiths who comes with FMbase's own seal of approval.

Can't believe we actually let Webster go on a free!? He's a decent CB, and we don't exactly have a massive squad. Davie Weir (legend) is 40 and most likely going to retire at the end of the season, or if he does stay on another year, I doubt he'll be able to play 90 minutes every week. Just means we're going to have to buy someone else and it's not like we have the money. Hope this Hartly (sp) kid from Arsenal is decent.

i think that i would prefer cavani to carroll and napoli shouldn't want more than 35 millions

12mil (7mil + 5mil later) is absolutely miniscule compared to 35mil. That was such a stupid statement. Trust CJ to like it, he likes any anti-arsenal comments, regardless of how moronic they are.

They've paid £35M for a striker in the form of his career who is proven at EPL level.

You paid £12M, regardless of whether it was up front or not, for a 16 year old winger who had played about 5 games at Championship level and didn't play in your first team for about a year and a half to ensure that nobody else got him (sorta like we did with Bebe).

Just because it's not £35M doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid amount of money to spend on the player. It was still massively over-priced, just like the Carroll deal is. However, Carroll will do his job for the team immediately as he is proven at EPL level and knows how to score goals. Walcott has only this season started playing like a Premier League player, and that's after going to a World Cup as a 16 year old that hadn't played for Arsenal yet, then playing another 4 years and not making it into the World Cup squad as a 20 year old and is finally getting over his injuries..

For what they both bring to the sides, it's very good deals but both were over priced. However, you have to remember Liverpool's deal was done on Deadline day. If they wanted Carroll they had to pay whatever necessary to ensure that they would get him. The Torres deal was highly publicised, so Newcastle knew they would be getting £50M so knew that they could push for £30M+ and if they pulled out, then Newcastle would still keep their top striker. It makes sense to pay the amount they did because of the timing of the deal, but it was still overpriced.

Can a player really be proven at EPL level after half a season?

11 goals this season for a player in his first full season says to me he is proven at this level. That's at Newcastle, if he's getting service from the likes of Steven Gerrard, Raul Meireles and Luis Suarez, he will be even more lethal.

lol at the crazy transfers after my 2 weeks army overseas trip. :O

im quite disappointed that he was sold tbh, considering his statistics at the club. however, i've got to admit that 35m is too much to resist though. lets hope we can survive without him for the remaining half of the season and then get an able replacement after that. :'(

Really don't understand what Walters doing !! Letting Webster go and then sending Jordan Mcmillan out on loan ? Seriously we are in desperate of need of cover for defenders and were doing **** like this ! Well Webster to make his debut on Wednesday if he's fit ? Was pleased with out dealings on Deadline day with what we brought in but dissapointed in losing Webster although he his injury prone I can see where walters coming from but could have at least kept him until the end of the season.

Rididulous spending.

Anyway, Blackburn got two new players yesterday!

Full nameMauro Formica[1]Date of birth4 April 1988 (1988-04-04) (age 22)Place of birthRosario, ArgentinaHeight1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)Playing positionAttacking midfielderClub informationCurrent clubBlackburn RoversYouth careerNewell's Old BoysSenior career*YearsTeamApps†(Gls)†2006-2011Newell's Old Boys86(20)2011-Blackburn Rovers0(0)National team2005Argentina U-174(2)

&

Full nameRubén Rochina NaixesDate of birth23 March 1991 (1991-03-23) (age 19)Place of birthSagunto, SpainHeight1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)Playing positionStrikerClub informationCurrent clubBlackburn RoversYouth career2003–2004Valencia2004–2010BarcelonaSenior career*YearsTeamApps†(Gls)†2008–2011Barcelona B26(4)2011–Blackburn Rovers0(0)National team‡2008Spain U177(4)2009Spain U181(0)2010Spain U199(4)

Has anyone seen or heard of these guys before?! I'm quite excited on the basis that they are young and will add some flair to our team...

They've paid £35M for a striker in the form of his career who is proven at EPL level.

You paid £12M, regardless of whether it was up front or not, for a 16 year old winger who had played about 5 games at Championship level and didn't play in your first team for about a year and a half to ensure that nobody else got him (sorta like we did with Bebe).

Just because it's not £35M doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid amount of money to spend on the player. It was still massively over-priced, just like the Carroll deal is. However, Carroll will do his job for the team immediately as he is proven at EPL level and knows how to score goals. Walcott has only this season started playing like a Premier League player, and that's after going to a World Cup as a 16 year old that hadn't played for Arsenal yet, then playing another 4 years and not making it into the World Cup squad as a 20 year old and is finally getting over his injuries..

For what they both bring to the sides, it's very good deals but both were over priced. However, you have to remember Liverpool's deal was done on Deadline day. If they wanted Carroll they had to pay whatever necessary to ensure that they would get him. The Torres deal was highly publicised, so Newcastle knew they would be getting £50M so knew that they could push for £30M+ and if they pulled out, then Newcastle would still keep their top striker. It makes sense to pay the amount they did because of the timing of the deal, but it was still overpriced.
How can you actually argue that Carroll is not more overpriced than Walcott? The fact that the money wasn't all upfront is actually very relevant because I think the other 5mil was subject to appearances? I'm not sure but even if it was just monthly installments it's still relevant.

And so what if Theo's been to the World Cup? Just because a player goes to the World Cup doesn't mean they should spontaneously develop. When Theo came on against Liverpool in the CL and tore them apart he wasn't playing like a premier league player then? When Theo came on against Barca and terrorized their defence, he wasn't playing like a premier league player then? Stupid statement. Pretty much everything you've said in that last sentence is irrelevant/incorrect. The thing about Theo is that he had a world class quality before we bought him, his pace. Bebe (as far as I know) isn't one of the fastest players in the world (like Theo), or doesn't obviously posses some kind of world class talent (like Theo did) so the deals aren't the same.

Doesn't matter when it was, to compare the magnitude of the Theo deal to this Carroll deal is stupid.

How can you actually argue that Carroll is not more overpriced than Walcott? The fact that the money wasn't all upfront is actually very relevant because I think the other 5mil was subject to appearances? I'm not sure but even if it was just monthly installments it's still relevant.

And so what if Theo's been to the World Cup? Just because a player goes to the World Cup doesn't mean they should spontaneously develop. When Theo came on against Liverpool in the CL and tore them apart he wasn't playing like a premier league player then? When Theo came on against Barca and terrorized their defence, he wasn't playing like a premier league player then? Stupid statement. Pretty much everything you've said in that last sentence is irrelevant/incorrect. The thing about Theo is that he had a world class quality before we bought him, his pace. Bebe (as far as I know) isn't one of the fastest players in the world (like Theo), or doesn't obviously posses some kind of world class talent (like Theo did) so the deals aren't the same.

Doesn't matter when it was, to compare the magnitude of the Theo deal to this Carroll deal is stupid.

If a player goes to the World Cup, it's because the manager believes they have ability to do well. He went as an untried 16 year old, didn't play a minute. He then played for 4 years, and still didn't make it to the England World Cup side. Carroll is in his first season in the Premier League as a first team player, and has already won an England cap. If he's not on the plan to the next tournament for England, it'll be due to injury.

Theo's pace didn't make him world class because he isn't world class. That gets thrown around far too much. Just because someone is amazingly quick doesn't mean they have world class ability. He should be a sprinter if that's the case not a footballer. At the age of 16, he had very little technique, no end product (some could argue he still doesn't) and was all just pace (again, some could say he hasn't changed). Andy Carroll has proved he can score in the big games (local derby vs Sunderland, vs Arsenal away, vs Chelsea). He's physical, can win headers, has a good touch and is an excellent prospect.

They paid £35M because they needed to replace on of the best strikers in the world within about 4 hours. If the window had another week to run, you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't have paid that much. Same reason they didn't spend £10M+ on Charlie Adam, because they didn't have to. They didn't have an option with Carroll as Newcastle were in complete control. Just as Chelsea were forced to pay £50M or miss out on their man.

Theo Walcott for £12M was just as big a gamble as Andy Carroll for £35M.

Theo Walcott for £12M was just as big a gamble as Andy Carroll for £35M.
Can't believe you actually believe that... Alright Carrolls scored 11 goals this season but so has DJ Campbell does that mean hes worth £35M. Walcott was one of the best young prospects at the time, as Chamberlain is now, hence the £10M. £35M for a 22 year old in his first season in the league, not even a full one at that does not warrant that much money. End of.

Can't believe you actually believe that... Alright Carrolls scored 11 goals this season but so has DJ Campbell does that mean hes worth £35M. Walcott was one of the best young prospects at the time, as Chamberlain is now, hence the £10M. £35M for a 22 year old in his first season in the league, not even a full one at that does not warrant that much money. End of.

If you read what I actually said, I said he's not worth £35M but they paid it because it was deadline day and they had no other option.

If you read what I actually said, I said he's not worth £35M but they paid it because it was deadline day and they had no other option.
But you said it was as big a gamble as Walcott, which is completely wrong. £12M worse comes to worst and he flops, sell him on for £5M leaving a miniature loss, if Carroll flops, thats £30M down the drain.

But you said it was as big a gamble as Walcott, which is completely wrong. £12M worse comes to worst and he flops, sell him on for £5M leaving a miniature loss, if Carroll flops, thats £30M down the drain.

My point was Walcott was/is more likely to flop than Carroll. Carroll was/is more proven than Walcott. Walcott had played about 5 games at Championship level and went for £12M about 5 years ago.

Yesterday, a much worse climate, a proven Premier League goalscorer went for £35M having had half a season of Premier League level experience and is one of the top scorers in the league along with being an international footballer too..

My point was Walcott was/is more likely to flop than Carroll. Carroll was/is more proven than Walcott. Walcott had played about 5 games at Championship level and went for £12M about 5 years ago.

Yesterday, a much worse climate, a proven Premier League goalscorer went for £35M having had half a season of Premier League level experience and is one of the top scorers in the league along with being an international footballer too..
One of the top scorers in the league but only 20 odd games gone man, it means nothing, and Franny jeffers was an International footballer. I don't think you can really call Walcott a flop, he's the same age as Carroll, had more appearances for England, and plays regularly for one of the best sides in the country.

Walcott didn't go for £12 Million. It £5 Million upfront and rising to £12 Million depending on appearances for club and country so there is no way near as much risk as the Carroll transfer.

One of the top scorers in the league but only 20 odd games gone man, it means nothing, and Franny jeffers was an International footballer. I don't think you can really call Walcott a flop, he's the same age as Carroll, had more appearances for England, and plays regularly for one of the best sides in the country.

I'm not saying Walcott is a flop. I'm saying there was more risk in the deal..

Walcott didn't go for £12 Million. It £5 Million upfront and rising to £12 Million depending on appearances for club and country so there is no way near as much risk as the Carroll transfer.

I was going by it being £12M up front/ £7M up front + 5M on apps.

If Jack is right, I'll stand down. If it's £12M up front which is what I was told it was, then I stand by my argument.

People are forgetting that it is not only the transfer amount that is the price of the deal for a club. You have to remember wages etc. a player who earns 50k a week and signed for 30 mil is cheaper on a 5 year contract than someone costing 15 mil but on 120k a week wages. The 30 million player would cost 43 mil in 5 years (30mil + 13mil on wages) however the 15 mil player would cost 46.2 mil (15 mil +31.2 mil on wages)
Just thought id point out what people seem to be missing