Liverpool: a team in decline?

Good point. But how do you know, what about the likes of Nottingham Forest, Leeds , Sheffield Wednesday and many more, all the small teams that not so long a go were in the Prem and in the top 10 ?

You're right. Times change. Clubs rise and fall in power. United rose under Ferguson, Chelsea have risen recently because of Abramovich. City are on the rise, as are Tottenham. Clubs going down include West Ham, Portsmouth, et cetera. Liverpool are declining as a force in English football. Whether this slide can be arrested (more than likely, if they find a better manager) and even reversed, or continues remains to be seen.

i think my reason for posting was because there is a core of quality at liverpool and it will take just a few well thought out signings from a tallented manager to give them the breath of life. i'm not dismissing the plight of sheff wed, notts forest or leeds. they each have reasoning behind their decline.

leeds got bit by the champions league bug, the chairman threw money hand over fist at it, and the manager at the time David o'Leary, spent it on what he thought was right. but that is for another thread.

Liverpool have great potential, i just think they need confidence. They showed when they beat chelsea what they are capable of, but they are not producing it week in, week out, Roy is a pretty useless manager IMO, but will a new manager work? or will it just unsettle the players and the club further? if they were to bring in a new manager who would they bring in? Martin O'neill?

I like how everyone was bumming Roy a couple of months ago and now they are saying how much of a poor manager he was pre liver. A change of manager certainly isn't going to help them this season, oh the pity.

I like how everyone was bumming Roy a couple of months ago and now they are saying how much of a poor manager he was pre liver. A change of manager certainly isn't going to help them this season, oh the pity.

I dunno, maybe if they appointed a manager who doesn't play a rigid 4-4-2 with Merieles on the right wing they might do better...

some of us have never rated RH as a manager, if you search back through a few threads i have previously posted in regarding roy, you will see i have mentioned his failure at blackburn, RH is a mid table manager at best, thats fine fir teams who are more than happy to stay mid table and not push on, other teams take risks and get burned

some of us have never rated RH as a manager, if you search back through a few threads i have previously posted in regarding roy, you will see i have mentioned his failure at blackburn, RH is a mid table manager at best, thats fine fir teams who are more than happy to stay mid table and not push on, other teams take risks and get burned

Some of you have, one or two sceptics though.

Unlucky Roy, you are coming in at a bad time but I guess if anyone can rally these guys it's you.. Good luck. P.s I prefer Rafa

I think it would be a good appointment for Liverpool -- if the fans and board accept they won't challenge for the title next season and give him time to rebuild the squad.

I think its the best appointment as I dont think liverpool have the money at the moment to pay huge wages to a coach and they could get Roy Hodgson for about half the wages as most coach's these days.

Considering what he's done to Fulham with players that he has at his disposal, I can't imagine how well he will do with Liverpool, he will bring the best out your players, that is for sure.

Good manager, not the right man for the Liverpool job. The yanks have payed out nearly £10 Million to get rid of Rafa and bring Roy in, a waste of money I reckon. Roy coming in means Mascherano will leave and there is a high chance Torres and Gerrard might. Feel sorry for Roy, Fulham is a better place to be than Liverpool right now.

To be fair Roy has a quality record in foreign countries. 6 Swedish Leagues with 2 different teams and 2 Swedish Cups. A Danish League and a Danish Cup. He made Orebro who were a struggling Swedish side into title challengers, did a pretty good job at Inter Milan too. Not forgetting what he has done to Fulham, earning them their highest ever league finish, and taking them to the Europa League final. Not sure what you have against him. The only person I would of wanted ahead of him was Dalglish.

great move as Roy Hodgson has shown he can do wonders even with a limited transfer budget unlike Benitez

You guys said Porto is in the CL, but now they are on Europa League, but I think AVB wouldn't leave porto, at least for now, because they have a winning formula and its working, he's trying to cement his career I reckon, and going to Liverpool now would be a a bit risky, but hey, money talks.

The now Valencia manager should be considered.

You mean Unai Emery? Hmmm...dont think thats such a good idea. He started at Almeria, where he did a good job imo, but in Valencia he is very inconsistent. Its true that Valencia struggled a lot before and Emery saved them from ****, but from there to Liverpool its a very long road ahead.

What about Alex Milner? The scottish fellow that left Sweden recently? :)

Liverpool still has great players, and with a couple of new ones, together with a different manager and/or system, I can see them turning things around. It is clear to me that the way they are playing now is not very promising. Having said this, there are several managers available in the market now. It depends a lot on what is expected and style of play they want to adopt. The same is happening with Man City, good players, but they look like **** when playing.

In either case, my favourite would be Marcelo "Loco" Bielsa, he´s free now. He is known for getting 110% of commitment and determination from his squads.

What about Alex Milner? The scottish fellow that left Sweden recently? :)

i don't know much about the guy, i think liverpool, if they did sack roy, would only look for a top manager with proven experience in a top standard of league. especially as they have new owners, they would have to show a signal of intent to the fans

Liverpool have great potential, i just think they need confidence. They showed when they beat chelsea what they are capable of, but they are not producing it week in, week out, Roy is a pretty useless manager IMO, but will a new manager work? or will it just unsettle the players and the club further? if they were to bring in a new manager who would they bring in? Martin O'neill?

from an everton fan :O
but you are right and in my opnion o'neill should of got the job first time round I really hope he will be the next liverpool manager...he takes no ***** from players and knows what he is on about!!

from an everton fan :O
but you are right and in my opnion o'neill should of got the job first time round I really hope he will be the next liverpool manager...he takes no ***** from players and knows what he is on about!!

I really don't think O'Neill would be good for Liverpool. He relies on a team of power, pace and width, using a big man up front to hold up the ball with speedy out and out wingers putting it on his head. Liverpool have neither speedy wingers nor a a target man of Carew/Heskey/Davies etc mould. I've put it in simple terms because I'm a bit busy at the minute, but generally it can be an effective method, but only with the right players.

Last edited:
Man United, will decline first because of their owner, before Liverpool completely die.

Besides, NESV is giving Liverpool 60m for the transfer budget... 30m for january and 30m for summer.

Local Portugease ones, easy ones to win. Face it, he WOULD join. Now go KBAITHX.

To be fair, you say that, but if you put Liverpool into the Portuguese league I couldn't see them winning it, Porto are a much better side.
By the way, how come people are saying that Roy needs to go so quickly? He's not even had half a season and you guys want rid of him? Probably the same people who complain about Chelsea changing managers so quickly and having no stability as well. If you want something to work you have to give it some time, you can't expect everything to go perfectly straight away.
Also, stop expecting managers from blatantly better teams to want to go to your club based on history. Yes, Liverpool have a great history and historically are a great club, but the way I see it a lot of these managers will want to go to the clubs which are big now - why do you think Mourinho and Guardiola aren't fighting over the Notts Forest job? They did win the European Cup twice after all...

In either case, my favourite would be Marcelo "Loco" Bielsa, he´s free now. He is known for getting 110% of commitment and determination from his squads.

Omg yes please. The thought of Paul Konchesky as a rampaging wing-back is too good to pass up.

To be fair, you say that, but if you put Liverpool into the Portuguese league I couldn't see them winning it, Porto are a much better side.
By the way, how come people are saying that Roy needs to go so quickly? He's not even had half a season and you guys want rid of him? Probably the same people who complain about Chelsea changing managers so quickly and having no stability as well. If you want something to work you have to give it some time, you can't expect everything to go perfectly straight away.
Also, stop expecting managers from blatantly better teams to want to go to your club based on history. Yes, Liverpool have a great history and historically are a great club, but the way I see it a lot of these managers will want to go to the clubs which are big now - why do you think Mourinho and Guardiola aren't fighting over the Notts Forest job? They did win the European Cup twice after all...
That was just who Alex WANTED, he dosen't expect him. Roy needs to go because he has no future, he's the wrong manager to have, and a simple stop-gap and a fool.