Liverpool: a team in decline?

Not sure how the players will be able to cope with three changes of managers and coaches within six months. If these players have adapted to Roy so badly, surely you will just go through another phase of poor form if a new Manager comes in.

But if the new manager doesn't play 'Roy football' and closer to 'Rafa football' then it wouldn't be so hard to adjust.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Not sure how the players will be able to cope with three changes of managers and coaches within six months. If these players have adapted to Roy so badly, surely you will just go through another phase of poor form if a new Manager comes in.

You're calling for Merieles to play in the centre when Lucas and Gerrard play there and are two of your best players. Would you drop Gerrard or Lucas then?

No, Gerrard plays further up behind Torres, in a 4-2-3-1, but most of the time he drops back and makes a 4-3-2-1

But if the new manager doesn't play 'Roy football' and closer to 'Rafa football' then it wouldn't be so hard to adjust.

No, Gerrard plays further up behind Torres, in a 4-2-3-1, but most of the time he drops back and makes a 4-3-2-1

I think anyone who comes in will have a tough job because Rafa had such a unique Managerial style so I still think a new manager wouldn't bring you much progression. As for Gerrard in behind Torres. Won't Gerrard be dropping back to CM when Cole returns from injury.

The jist I get from Liverpool supporters (correct if I'm wrong) is that they are not happy with the results. But it's more than that. Roy's tactics are very negative for a team that should be challenging near the top of the league. You would expect a team that is challenging at the top to be playing decent football, not league 1 style. That's why Liverpool supporters are not happy with Roy. The results are bad enough but the style of football is worse. It doesn't matter how long you give Roy he will keep this negative style of football and that is what Liverpool fans are afraid of. In their minds the sooner they get rid of him, the sooner the negative football goes too. Whether this would happen or not we don't know but Liverpool fans would like to hope so. Again this is just my interpretation of the Liverpool supporters, this is in no way me trying to sound like I know all about Liverpool.

Spot on.

Bad tactics + bad results + bad signings = bad manager. It's a simple equation. For a top club, we're going nowhere except down under Hodgson.

I notice rival fans are urging the club to stick by him again, for motives that are all too obvious, despite some of their spurious reasoning; we are a laughing stock while he is in control.

Last edited:
Near enough every manager wants the title "I took liverpool back to the top"...as for benitez I never wanted him to go...it's a shame the americans went after him as I'm sure he would of been liverpool manager still...all personal opinions of course lol
As for Hodgson I was VERY VERY disappointed when he got the managers job...as everyone said YES he did well at fulham for 1 season but he didn't win anything...
Completely agree with you, I'm a Liverpool fan and I more than anyone else am itching to see them bounce back into the top 4. Seeing them well below those top positions pains me! And with that pain I think to myself Roy H. has to go, but then you start thinking about it, Sir Alex Ferguson (hope that's the correct spelling) never won any Major Trophy during his first season With Man Utd, yet they stuck with him and he later led, and continues to lead - I believe - Manchester to bitter sweet Glory! He turned them into one of England's, if not the Worlds best teams! Now I'm not trying to say RH has the capability of Sir Alex, but I kinda do believe that after his last season with Fulham and the beautiful football he implanted there, he does deserve time and investment. More importantly INVESTMENT! because for his methods to be deployed to perfection he has to have the right "tools" to carry out his thoughts! So in that case I agree 100% with Thefreeman. As for willster947's comment on RH not winning anything, I don't believe that's reason to exclude him as a good if not great manager. Did you see the team he had last season? Nothing a football team such as Juventus would take as intimidating, yet he played developed a great tactic to overcome them in the Europa League and there after take them all the way to the Final! Where they were beaten after extra-time, if I am not mistaken. And as a semi-pro football player I can guarantee you that after playing 90' mins of football, despite being trained and built to have the stamina to resist those 90' it is still MENTALLY (because of the fans pressure and the constant thought of the importance of the competition) and PHYSICALLY (Obviously) draining and in the end can be fatal when you're playing against another strong team such as Athletico Madrid. Please Believe me when I say I really want Liverpool to be the team we all know they CAN be, I just think TOO much change in a season can also lead to failure. P.S Willster947 I am not trying to attack you in anyway, hope i didn't come across too strong.