Liverpool: a team in decline?

Man United, will decline first because of their owner, before Liverpool completely die.

Besides, NESV is giving Liverpool 60m for the transfer budget... 30m for january and 30m for summer.

where do you get your information from?

We will see about utd, owners come and go you know, who to say the glazers will still be there in 5 years.

I really don't think O'Neill would be good for Liverpool. He relies on a team of power, pace and width, using a big man up front to hold up the ball with speedy out and out wingers putting it on his head. Liverpool have neither speedy wingers nor a a target man of Carew/Heskey/Davies etc mould. I've put it in simple terms because I'm a bit busy at the minute, but generally it can be an effective method, but only with the right players.

Babel aint that slow & Joe Cole must have abit of magic left on the right and torres aint the worst striker in the air

where do you get your information from?

We will see about utd, owners come and go you know, who to say the glazers will still be there in 5 years.

But you do have an ageing squad, one of the oldest; with over 1 billion debt and when Ferguson retires, what will you do then. /Rhetorical question.

We were in decline the day the 2 planks took control, though at the time we didn't know it. Hindsight is a wonderfull estate.

At this moment in time our Talisman has hit 30, our peerless hitman & solid GK are disillusioned, & our manager is ineffective & uninspiring. Happily we have seemingly decent new owners, so the decline is stoppable, but there will have to be blood-letting. I believe everyone knows who will be the first casualty. Sooner rather than later I hope.

But you do have an ageing squad, one of the oldest; with over 1 billion debt and when Ferguson retires, what will you do then. /Rhetorical question.

i was more talking about the money bit, and we have about 700million debt, we have an ageing squad, we have 17 pros under 23( and older then 17, who are playing for either the first team or on the fringes). give me a break. Fergie is the only thing i am worried about, i mean properly worried about.

( I know you question was rhetorical, but i thought i give it an honest answer)

Out of interest have you calculated the average age of our squad or are you just guessing?(A)

I have to agree with Scott 100% on this and as he and others know i never do. Liverpool are already on a decline if Gerrard and Torres don't turn up Liverpool don't win simple as that. Utd are a bigger club in than Liverpool and will be a top side for years to come. Liverpool haven't been a top side (and when i say top i mean challenging for titles) arguably for 20years. Utd have a great business model and have been a huge force in Europe and have the world wide backing if the glazers deside to sell (i hope they dont).

At the moment i don't think either side are in the clear but Utd have the players/momentum/knowhow/manager to succeed and keep succeeding.

Utd have a great business model and have been a huge force in Europe.

Not only Europe mate, United are huge force world wide. Asian market is completely dominated by premier league with most being United supporters, then Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in that order.

On topic, I think they are on decline, They have Gerrard and Torres who can change games on their own, but its a huge burden to do it week in week out. I think Liverpool gets good budget for Jan, but with Roy, i expect him to buy average mid table players.

I think they have to get rid of Roy as soon as possible. The games against Wigan and Stoke are clear examples. They defended so deep, with even back they would have ended up behind Reina. With the defensive mindset i dont think Gerrard and Torres can be utilized effectively, even Joe Cole. Mentality should be Go for win, if not possible then for Draw. On the other hand Roy is like, Play for draw, hoof the ball to Torres and expect some magic.

The club Need a few new signings, Honda would be an excellent signing because a problem at the minute is there is no creativity coming from Lucas when he tries a pass its always the hardest pass possible and he cant do it, Honda is not the type of player not to do something special. Also a new striker, Ngog is good for his age but we cant rely on him to bring up the goods, Fernando Lorente would be a good signing

I wouldnt look at the Manager yet, though he needs a change of tactics! 1 striker against stoke who are a defensive side anyway, watching stoke was like watching Wimbledon all they do is hit the ball up to the big strikers and defend its hard to beat a team like that but it should be hard to lose to a team like that!

Not only Europe mate, United are huge force world wide. Asian market is completely dominated by premier league with most being United supporters, then Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in that order.

I agree, most fans in Asia are United supporters, but seriously, I have had a look on a few articles about this, Arsenal are no where near a force in Asia, as to the others are.

Anyway, back to Liverpool.

Yes, they are in decline, they played poorly in mid-week and today, but there is one way that Hodgson can secure his job - playing fantastically well in Europe. He's a proven Premiership manager, and I would give him until Christmas, then think about sacking him

Didn Fulham finish 12th or 13th last season and that suddenly turned him into a Big 4 manager.

Personally, I think the owners took the cheap option of hiring Roy, when comparing to other big managers. What i hate to hear is people wanting manager sacked after a short period. No one can a turn a club with problems into a unbeatable team like that, esepcially with all the stuff happening in the boardroom with new owners
I think they paid 3mil for compensation to Fulham for Roy?

The club Need a few new signings, Honda would be an excellent signing because a problem at the minute is there is no creativity coming from Lucas when he tries a pass its always the hardest pass possible and he cant do it, Honda is not the type of player not to do something special. Also a new striker, Ngog is good for his age but we cant rely on him to bring up the goods, Fernando Lorente would be a good signing

I wouldnt look at the Manager yet, though he needs a change of tactics! 1 striker against stoke who are a defensive side anyway, watching stoke was like watching Wimbledon all they do is hit the ball up to the big strikers and defend its hard to beat a team like that but it should be hard to lose to a team like that!

When would you look at the manager then ? On the last day of the season when we're fighting relegation ? I pity our season ticket holders who've pre-paid to watch garbage football. They deserve more & the rest of us long for more. It's not as if Hodgson's negative tactics are achieving what he hopes to achieve, ie: avoiding defeat.

Re new signings: I wouldn't trust him to buy a newspaper for me let alone buy some multi-million pound new players. The guy is an average ( being kind here ) manager who gravitates toward average players, & we've already got far too many of them already.

For every 1 fan like you who say have patience, there's 100 like me who say f**k patience, we've had a bellyfull.

A lot of people on here are (I think) being terribly harsh on Roy Hodgson - he's only been there 5 minutes! I'm not a Liverpool fan but I think any manager appointed after/ around the time of a takeover deserves at least one transfer window.

He also managed to keep hold of Fernando/ Steve/ Pepe despite coming in as the new guy, so I think big respect is due there.

Results of course could improve but as I said, give him a transfer window.

A lot of people on here are (I think) being terribly harsh on Roy Hodgson - he's only been there 5 minutes! I'm not a Liverpool fan but I think any manager appointed after/ around the time of a takeover deserves at least one transfer window.

He also managed to keep hold of Fernando/ Steve/ Pepe despite coming in as the new guy, so I think big respect is due there.

Results of course could improve but as I said, give him a transfer window.

I'm scared to think of who else he'll buy with actual money. Poulsen and Konchesky are amazingly *****.

I dont think Roy is a gr8 manager, he's decent but thats as far as it goes. i do feel for him though because he has inherited a poor squad from benitez. babel, lucas, maxi, the greek guy (i aint gonna attempt the spelling) jovanovic, ngog, johnson £18m???? dont forget aqualani and at least between 5-10 others where huge sums of money were wasted. Im a chelsea fan and we were beggining to slide before roman era when we had these foriegn mercenaries who just dont fancy it. They all play like top players when face dwith the like of chelsea, utd etc but then midweek away games at wigan, wolves stoke etc they dont fancy it. its an attitude issue with vast sum of liverpool squad. i can remember our 1st ucl group game at san siro we managed to come home with a point and we had played very well. following game in prem same guys who matched up to inzaghi, seedorf maldini & co go to watford and lose one nil. thats not being tired thats wrong attitude. i apologise for wafflin on a bit:)

When you was in debt you signed Raul merires (hes rubish always take long shots and never end up no where)
paul khoncsheky level probally suited Fullhall, you should of signed Bridge

The jist I get from Liverpool supporters (correct if I'm wrong) is that they are not happy with the results. But it's more than that. Roy's tactics are very negative for a team that should be challenging near the top of the league. You would expect a team that is challenging at the top to be playing decent football, not league 1 style. That's why Liverpool supporters are not happy with Roy. The results are bad enough but the style of football is worse. It doesn't matter how long you give Roy he will keep this negative style of football and that is what Liverpool fans are afraid of. In their minds the sooner they get rid of him, the sooner the negative football goes too. Whether this would happen or not we don't know but Liverpool fans would like to hope so. Again this is just my interpretation of the Liverpool supporters, this is in no way me trying to sound like I know all about Liverpool.

When you was in debt you signed Raul merires (hes rubish always take long shots and never end up no where)
paul khoncsheky level probally suited Fullhall, you should of signed Bridge

Merieles is very good.

I dont think Roy is a gr8 manager, he's decent but thats as far as it goes. i do feel for him though because he has inherited a poor squad from benitez. babel, lucas, maxi, the greek guy (i aint gonna attempt the spelling) jovanovic, ngog, johnson £18m???? dont forget aqualani and at least between 5-10 others where huge sums of money were wasted. Im a chelsea fan and we were beggining to slide before roman era when we had these foriegn mercenaries who just dont fancy it. They all play like top players when face dwith the like of chelsea, utd etc but then midweek away games at wigan, wolves stoke etc they dont fancy it. its an attitude issue with vast sum of liverpool squad. i can remember our 1st ucl group game at san siro we managed to come home with a point and we had played very well. following game in prem same guys who matched up to inzaghi, seedorf maldini & co go to watford and lose one nil. thats not being tired thats wrong attitude. i apologise for wafflin on a bit:)

People need to think up more things - Lucas is one of our best players, he's excellent, Krygiakos has been our best defender this season, it proves you don't watch any of our matches when people come out with bull like this. It really grinds my gears.

Yeah gr8 players when its against a TOP side, AVERAGE players when lesser sides. im not saying that technically they aren't top players but mentally which is a massive part of any sport they are not good Gerrard, Carrragher apart of course.

Not sure how the players will be able to cope with three changes of managers and coaches within six months. If these players have adapted to Roy so badly, surely you will just go through another phase of poor form if a new Manager comes in.

Merieles is very good.

People need to think up more things - Lucas is one of our best players, he's excellent, Krygiakos has been our best defender this season, it proves you don't watch any of our matches when people come out with bull like this. It really grinds my gears.

You're calling for Merieles to play in the centre when Lucas and Gerrard play there and are two of your best players. Would you drop Gerrard or Lucas then?