Liverpool Agree Fee For Raul Meireles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your obsession with wanting to get Toivonen? He's nowhere near Liverpool standard.
We were looking in on him, apparently. But now I hear the talks have broken down. So I guess were looking elsewhere for a striker, if we're looking for one.

On that talk about Liverpool standard, what exactly is Liverpool standard? Finishing in 7th place? Poulsen? Konchesky? Selling Masch for £20m? The game has changed. We can't afford supposed "Liverpool standard" players anymore like we used to do in the past. Just like we can barely hang on to our star players. Joe Cole and Meireles are the only "standard" players we were lucky enough to get. Although, the former was a free agent, and the latter had only 2 years remaining and wanted out, apparently. Mark my words, we're not gonna see any more WOW signings until we get new owners. We just don't have the money, we're working on a shoe-string budget right now. So we have to make do with what we can afford, and Toivonen is among the better options we have right now.

Hes got the number 4 hasnt he :) Doubt will go in for Diarra, I think a striker and left back should be priority but looks like Konshitski is joining haha joke. Anyway a striker should be priority as Hodgson said in his interview before..

Apparently Liverpool are interested in Bayern Munich's Mario Gomez but only on loan for one season i'm hearing and he is their record signing so fingers crossed here lol

first of all i will start off by saying i think this is an excellent signing, i have always said he would suite the PL.

I think the only way he will fit into the Pool side is if Gerrard ends up playing deeper i.e the Mascherano/Alonso role. Meireles is not a holding midfielder he is a box to box midfilder and with Gerrard being 31 now and no dout has lost some of his pizzaz maybe he can take up the Alonso role being more displined and we all know he can hit a long range pass like Alonso. I just think that if you end up playing Meireles in the holding role you will lose to much from his game and we all know Gerrard can play this role and has the disapline to adapt to play in this role also. Would love to see what the Pool fans think of this.

GK Reina
RB Johnson
LB Konchesky
CB Agger
CB Carragher
CM Meirleles
CM Gerrard
RM Kuyt
LM Cole
CF Torres

That looks like there strongest line up to me, a top 4 line up, possibly dependent on injuries.
If they keep Poulsen, Lucas, Maxi, Ngog and Aureillio away from the starting 11 they may have a very good season

Your never gonna win with 10 players..

first of all i will start off by saying i think this is an excellent signing, i have always said he would suite the PL.

I think the only way he will fit into the Pool side is if Gerrard ends up playing deeper i.e the Mascherano/Alonso role. Meireles is not a holding midfielder he is a box to box midfilder and with Gerrard being 31 now and no dout has lost some of his pizzaz maybe he can take up the Alonso role being more displined and we all know he can hit a long range pass like Alonso. I just think that if you end up playing Meireles in the holding role you will lose to much from his game and we all know Gerrard can play this role and has the disapline to adapt to play in this role also. Would love to see what the Pool fans think of this.

Gerrard's passing is way too hollywood for the Alonso role.

Status
Not open for further replies.