Liverpool's next manager?

your bestb hope as manager in the state ur in is john barnes lol he will do a good job ur in unofficial administration ne way
Please type better English, you are an Everton fan like myself and making us look stupid.

Here's a question -

King Kenny is loved and respected by the fans for reasons which extend beyond football. He's not been in management for a long time now, and his last few stints as a manager were, to be blunt, failures at equally dysfunctional clubs.

How would you feel about him climbing into bed with the two leeches as they asset strip the club? How would you want him to receive the same treatment from the press as he did last time he managed us? How about seeing that dislike even more frequently because of the increased scrutiny on managers? How about seeing strips torn out of him by the numpty whining armchair fans from Slough because he doesn't get us into the top four with a budget of a Mars bar and a packet of Quavers to bring in new talent?

Hodgson is a lovely man. Got so much respect for him - true old school British football gent. But he's not even Graham Taylor in terms of making direct football attractive. And that's his football philosophy.

Martin O'Neill has underwhelmed at Villa. He's intelligent for sure, but there's an ego behind those glasses which has to be seen to be believed - and his track record in both Premier League and in European competitions with heavy financial backing at Villa is less than inspiring.

Mark Hughes is ex-Manc. That'd be a good call by the owners actually - would make it easier for me to want the club to go to the wall fully so we can rebuild again with something closer to what we once were.

I find it utterly astonishing that any of you think Roy Hodgson will get the Liverpool job? I think you have all jumped on a band wagon and refuse to get off. At x-mas people on here were suggesting Alex McLeish for Liverpool? Pfft!

I seriously doubt (and hope) this will (never) happen for a few reasons:

1. Liverpool are about to pay off Benitez and I assume his staff for 16m +, they are not going to be able to afford to pay Fulham or anyone else further funds for a new manager and follow that up with new players. One of the main rumours going around is Rafa is not happy at the prospect of selling Torres or Gerrard and not getting the funds from these potential sales to improve the squad.

2. I cannot imagine many Liverpool fans being overjoyed with someone like old Roy as there manager, Can’t see 4-5-1 and lumped to Zamora going down well with the Kop. That kind of ‘Direct Football’ works well for sides like Fulham, Blackburn and Stoke however when you have Gerrard, Maxi, Torres and Youssi then you don’t want to see that kind of ‘negative football’

3. Roy Hodgson has done a good job with Fulham, not great, Good! Finishing 7th was great as was getting to the Europa final. Cast your eyes back to Steve McLaren, did a good job with Middlesbrough, that same kind of mid table mediocrity, won the league cup and took them to the UEFA Cup final. Would you give him the job?

I would say the exact same about Alex McLeish or anyone else who manages a club in such a manor. My aim isn’t to have a go at old Roy, I know he has done a good job at Fulham, I just don’t think he is a Liverpool quality manager.

I would love to hear what Zebedee and Lee have to say on the matter.

I know it won't happen but Moyes would be an amazing appointment for Liverpool!

Mark Hughes - he went to one of Uniteds big rivals may aswell join the other

I find it utterly astonishing that any of you think Roy Hodgson will get the Liverpool job? I think you have all jumped on a band wagon and refuse to get off. At x-mas people on here were suggesting Alex McLeish for Liverpool? Pfft!

I seriously doubt (and hope) this will (never) happen for a few reasons:

1. Liverpool are about to pay off Benitez and I assume his staff for 16m +, they are not going to be able to afford to pay Fulham or anyone else further funds for a new manager and follow that up with new players. One of the main rumours going around is Rafa is not happy at the prospect of selling Torres or Gerrard and not getting the funds from these potential sales to improve the squad.

2. I cannot imagine many Liverpool fans being overjoyed with someone like old Roy as there manager, Can’t see 4-5-1 and lumped to Zamora going down well with the Kop. That kind of ‘Direct Football’ works well for sides like Fulham, Blackburn and Stoke however when you have Gerrard, Maxi, Torres and Youssi then you don’t want to see that kind of ‘negative football’

3. Roy Hodgson has done a good job with Fulham, not great, Good! Finishing 7th was great as was getting to the Europa final. Cast your eyes back to Steve McLaren, did a good job with Middlesbrough, that same kind of mid table mediocrity, won the league cup and took them to the UEFA Cup final. Would you give him the job?

I would say the exact same about Alex McLeish or anyone else who manages a club in such a manor. My aim isn’t to have a go at old Roy, I know he has done a good job at Fulham, I just don’t think he is a Liverpool quality manager.

I would love to hear what Zebedee and Lee have to say on the matter.
Nope, we're trying to get him to take 3M and run. If he said no, but was sacked, the 16M would only be paid if he didn't get a job within a year, and interest is high.

Mark Hughes - he went to one of Uniteds big rivals may aswell join the other
We're bigger rivals though, much bigger.

Our two tumours wanted to replace Benitez with Klinsmann six months after they took over Kris. I'm sure the board will be putting all kinds of names out for the armchair fans to reassure them. But the key criteria will be a man willing to see £127 million worth of talent divested from the playing side (whether in current players' salaries/transfer fees or future transfers/wages or a combination of both) into paying off the part of the RBS debt which isn't secured on the owners' assets. We'll end up with a mediocre manager who'll be a short-term fall guy when Benitez isn't around to blame for why the owners are asset stripping the club.

Not sure when reality will hit some of the numpties who claim to support Liverpool. Perhaps it never will. In honesty, I wish most of them would go support Chelsea or Spurs or Man City rather than pretend that they have any feeling for my club.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Roy Hodgson. He's polite and is always very respectful towards Liverpool. He's done a lot in his career and should be applauded for going abroad when many English managers don't. But his style of football is the antithesis of what Liverpool have been about for nearly sixty years. Graham Taylor did it in a more entertaining way with Watford back in the 80s and he's also a decent football man who I respect. I wouldn't want him managing us either.

I'd rather your pseudo-fans didn't come to Tottenham, Zeb, if it's all the same to you.

I agree with what you say though. The club will never again be in a healthy state until the vultures take their leave. The issue is, they just seem to be biding their time while they wait for RBS to confirm another loan. I don't think they have any real plans to sell the club yet, and are basically fobbing people off for the time being.

I'd rather your pseudo-fans didn't come to Tottenham, Zeb, if it's all the same to you.

I agree with what you say though. The club will never again be in a healthy state until the vultures take their leave. The issue is, they just seem to be biding their time while they wait for RBS to confirm another loan. I don't think they have any real plans to sell the club yet, and are basically fobbing people off for the time being.

Word is that RBS aren't convinced that they're going to be selling. Which puts Hicks and Gillett under pressure to raise the money RBS want - £100 million+. Only one way to do that for them and they've just removed the sole obstacle to them doing that as Rafa had final veto on any transfers (insisted that be part of his contract after the Barry/Keane shambles with Parry). This then frees them up to finance a new stadium and milk us for the rest of eternity. Happy days - maybe our pseudo-fans might be the ones who'll fill it for them? ;)

If Liverpools assets are going to be sold off then whoever comes in is going to have a rough ride of trying to build the club back up again. I dont envy the next manager at all because the media will pick him apart if Liverpool start failing yet it wont be his fault its those that are in the boardroom.

Word is that RBS aren't convinced that they're going to be selling. Which puts Hicks and Gillett under pressure to raise the money RBS want - £100 million+. Only one way to do that for them and they've just removed the sole obstacle to them doing that as Rafa had final veto on any transfers (insisted that be part of his contract after the Barry/Keane shambles with Parry). This then frees them up to finance a new stadium and milk us for the rest of eternity. Happy days - maybe our pseudo-fans might be the ones who'll fill it for them? ;)

It's all pointing to the sale of Liverpool's quality players then.

It's a depressing state of affairs really, even for those not linked to Liverpool, to see a club of this magnitude going under in such a relatively short period of time.

The only upside to this is that it's going to be interesting to manage us on FM2010 :/

I was reading the shortlist of managers on one of the many websites who claim to know everything and most of the names are shocking. I personally wouldn't like Hodgson to manage us I don't believe he could handle big players such as Gerrard and Torres, but nonetheless he is a decent guy and I wouldn't lose sleep over the appointment. The favourite for the job, O'Neil, is probably the manager I would go for, he could bring us in Young and Milner but this won't happen, if the rumours are true then the owners are looking to off the RBS loan meaning massive cut backs and probably a fire-sale of any talent we have. So my bet is on Kenny, he's a legend, and if anyone can inspire a club falling so fast it is him, however he is just going to be the face of an operation which could take us back to the stone age..

:( American's should be banned from buying football clubs! It should be Arabs and Russians only!!

We so desperately need a fresh start, starting at the top of the chain

Last edited:
I'm taking bets that the sell-off will start this summer and the board will blame Benitez initially as they already tried to do with their initial leak to Maddock at the Mirror.

Whoever comes in will be a 'yes' man. Anyone with a spine need not apply. That limits the field even further. Curbishley for Liverpool? Ho-ho-ho.

I say they hire Hughes. He is like Steve McLaren because he can operate on a shoestring budget but still bring enormous success, they both took teams very far in Europe and that is all Liverpool fans can really hope for for the time being. If you can bring in Hughes for next season you will have somebody who can buy bargains or top class talent depending on a club's situation. Whoever comes in shouldn't get a transfer budget and that is why you should hire him.

I'm taking bets that the sell-off will start this summer and the board will blame Benitez initially as they already tried to do with their initial leak to Maddock at the Mirror.

Whoever comes in will be a 'yes' man. Anyone with a spine need not apply. That limits the field even further. Curbishley for Liverpool? Ho-ho-ho.

Curbishley is not a 'yes' man in any sense of the term. He brought unbelievable success to Charlton against a tight and hostile board who wouldn't open their purses but he wasn't a 'yes' man. A 'yes' man wouldn't complain when their chairman sold Anton Ferdinand behind their backs. Curbishley resigned when West Ham abused him. He is not a 'yes' man and I find it insulting that you would insult Alan Curbishley, if you want to insult managers then you deserve Sam Allardyce. He would be able to weather the Kop's storm with no money at a cost of all of your attractive football. He could be the 'yes' man you so dearly need but Curbishley would not.

Curbishley is not a 'yes' man in any sense of the term. He brought unbelievable success to Charlton against a tight and hostile board who wouldn't open their purses but he wasn't a 'yes' man. A 'yes' man wouldn't complain when their chairman sold Anton Ferdinand behind their backs. Curbishley resigned when West Ham abused him. He is not a 'yes' man and I find it insulting that you would insult Alan Curbishley, if you want to insult managers then you deserve Sam Allardyce. He would be able to weather the Kop's storm with no money at a cost of all of your attractive football. He could be the 'yes' man you so dearly need but Curbishley would not.

;)

It could well be a national coach currently who leaves there post after the world cup?? Who knows?

I love Jason McAteer because despite being in the football industry, he actually know nothing about it :)

Back