Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K
Neri has played in 9 of our last 20 matches, starting just 3 of them, yet for the second time, I’ve been asked this question:

Crisetig and Biro-Biro are suspended for the next match, and poor Ajer is exhausted. Not much to choose from for my defensive midfielder(s) or centre backs.

We still have a nasty injury list to contend with. Helander (top of list) is only out for a day but will be short of fitness.

Looks like Neri has a few admirers! You looking to sell if a big enough offer comes in?

Looks like Neri has a few admirers! You looking to sell if a big enough offer comes in?

Not really, but maybe 8-10m I would consider. Nothing higher than about 4m bid so far though, I'd rather hold on to him in that case

Swedish Premier Division - Game 24 - Brommapojkarna (Away)

So U21’s centre back Brorsson gets an unprecedented start against Brommapojkarna today - he’s the best of a bad bunch in that he’s unlikely to ever make it here, but with Biro-Biro suspended, Ajer tired and Helander only fit enough to make the bench, the kid gets a chance to show he’s got what it takes.

A brilliant through ball from Petkovic in the 10th minute found the run of Eriksson but he was denied at point blank range when he should have scored.

And we fell behind in the 25th minute as a free kick was swung in and fell to an opponent, who took full advantage of the space he found himself in.

But two minutes later, Joakim Kardum scored his first goal in his first start for us, latching onto a Petkovic through ball to finish with aplomb.

In the 31st minute, an optimistic long ball from Brommapojkarna flew between our two central defenders, and their striker led the chase. That was until Brorsson scythed him down from behind - straight red card. Very disappointed with him, as this was likely to be his one and only chance in the first team unless he impressed - instead, he’s let the side down and made it an uphill battle. Neri was the man who unfortunately had to be sacrificed in order to bring on Helander much earlier than I’d intended, as he is not yet at full fitness.

In the 63rd minute Kardum and Eriksson were replaced by Ajer and KBH.

In the 67th minute we had a stroke of luck as Romagnoli’s corner was redirected into the net by an unfortunate defender.

Two minutes later no luck was needed as we sliced them up with a brilliant team move. Ajer passed forward to KBH, who played Ricardinho in on the left. He lofted a curling cross with the outside of his right foot beyond the keeper to the far post, where Petkovic headed it down for KBH to finish from close range.

Forsberg made it four in the 81st minute, hammering home KBH’s exquisite through ball after the Korean had danced through three players on the edge of the box.

We continued to dominate, and Forsberg narrowly missed the top right corner just two minutes later after some more great passing in and around the box.

You certainly wouldn’t have known that we were playing a man short - if anything, it appeared the other way around! We were sensational in the second half, and I’m delighted with how the players performed. KBH was sensational off the bench, but as for Brorsson - he’s not likely to get another chance in the first team. Though interestingly enough, in the post-match, everyone seemed to think the referee had been too harsh.

POM: Drasko Petkovic (8.7, 0G, 2A)

The Ligue 1 table looks sensational with SM Caen top after 8 fixtures - they have the top two goal scorers as well! Their scalps so far include PSG (3-1), AS Monaco (5-2), Lyon (3-1) and Lille (4-1), so they’re not just beneficiaries of a kind fixture list! The PSG win was the most recent, and arguably the most impressive, with striker Xavier Pentecôte scoring a late hat trick in 6 minutes to steal the points. The man sits top of the Ligue 1 with an incredible 8 goals from 2 starts and 3 substitutes appearances! Inexplicably, he also sits on the transfer list - and not by request!

So I’ve been advised to appeal against Brorsson’s ban - something I’ve never come across before actually! :P I may as well do it, he might make the bench in the next match if we’re desperate or something.
My respect for Emil Forsberg doubles upon the discovery that his two favourite clubs outside of Sweden are Liverpool and Mallorca! I discovered this after his agent wanted a new contract for him after his last match. He didn’t want to sack his agent, but was pacified when I reminded him he had plenty of time left on his current deal.

Brorsson’s ban upheld - I’m not too worried.

Does Pentecôte look any good? Might have to pick him up if he is listed after scoring hatties against PSG!!

Does Pentecôte look any good? Might have to pick him up if he is listed after scoring hatties against PSG!!

He's solid, lots of 12's and 14's, nothing special but could definitely do a job. What's most impressive is how they dominated shots and possession against PSG as well! It was a deserved win!

Here he is

He has three goals and one assist in 9 starts and 13 substitute appearances, with an average rating of 6.99

It says he's wanted by 7 clubs, but I've received bids over the last few months from at least 10 different teams, some of whom must have given up.

Swedish Premier Division - Game 25 - Helsingborg (Away)

The derby against Helsingborg today once again takes a backseat on the priorities list to the Zenit fixture in 3 days time. Most of the intended starters for that match are rested for this one.

Helander rose to head a Romagnoli corner home in just the 3rd minute.

Petkovic slipped a great pass in for Eriksson in the 28th, but he somehow was denied by the keeper when he really should have scored.

In the 31st minute, a long ball from Bengtsson became a footrace between Forsberg and the Helsingborg keeper. The keeper won, and knocked the ball down, but straight to Eriksson, who had an empty net to aim at from 25 yards. His lobbed shot bounced on the bar and went behind.

A stoppage time long throw from Helsingborg was still in the air when Helander brought a player down, and the referee pointed at the spot. Mohammed Abu made no mistake, levelling the game on the brink of half time.

Gustafson replaced Ajer in the 53rd as we switched to 4-2-3-1.

In the 55th another unnecessary foul by Helander gave away another stupid penalty! KSG got himself behind Abu’s penalty, but only deflected it into the side netting. 2-1 Helsingborg.

KBH replaced Eriksson in the 57th.

Biro-Biro replaced Helander in the 62nd.

In the 70th, KBH played Forsberg in beautifully, but the winger was denied by an unbelievable save.

We then proceeded to dominate play for the next 20 minutes, but couldn’t break down the stubborn defence.

Eventually, we had too many players committed forwards, and much like Juventus in the CL Final the other day, were hit by a sucker punch in injury time.

An even later Bengtsson cross was glanced goalward by KBH, but held by the keeper.

A really embarrassing performance today, as not one player rated over 6.7. Were it not for his early goal, Helander’s 6.2 rating would undoubtedly have been much worse. We committed an incredibly stupid 28 fouls, which cost us in the form of two penalties. I didn’t even have tackling set to hard! Terrible time to choose as well, in the derby, and the board and fans will not be happy. We now welcome Zenit to Swedbank Stadion after a demoralising defeat, rather than the wonderful run of form preceding it.

POM: Mohammed Abu (Helsingborg - 8.8, 2G, 0A)

Love the comment about the referee! You think he's not a popular lad with Malmo after handing the first 2 goals to Helsingborg!?

Love the comment about the referee! You think he's not a popular lad with Malmo after handing the first 2 goals to Helsingborg!?

Yeah I doubt he'd get a good reception if he came to Malmo in the next couple of weeks!

Transfer News...

Basel come in for Rodrigo Possebon. He was an important part of my team in the first part of the season, but has had a couple of nasty injuries that have seen him fall down the pecking order. I negotiate and accept the offer, worth 2.3m in the end. It’s a good deal as he won’t leave until January, by which time Diaz will have arrived, and if I feel I need another replacement, I will have time to find one.

Champions League Group Stage - Game 2 - Zenit (Home)

So a vital clash with Zenit that I would have been confident heading into were it not for our shock loss a few days ago. We need to bounce back with a good result today. A win is vital if we wish to progress, because I don’t fancy our chances against PSG, or on our travels to Russia. Helander starts despite his poor game against Helsingborg, but a number of first choices resume their places in the lineup too. Santos is fit enough to make the bench. They have a seriously strong team, with Rondón, Hulk, Verratti and Kagawa all starting.

And 44 seconds in, their left back swung in a cross, and Hulk headed home from Cristiano Ronaldo range - i.e. inches out.

We managed to settle the game fortunately, and in the 15th, Molins’ lovely turn on the edge of the area gave him a little bit of space, and he rifled a shot along the ground into the bottom right corner. Game on!

In the 21st minute, Ricardinho lined up a free kick, and I had flash backs of Real Madrid last year. He beat the keeper, but hit the crossbar. The ball was still in play, and Helander was onto it quick as a flash to make it 2-1!

Verratti teed up Rondon for a ferocious shot inside the area in the 31st minute, but KSG made a save at full stretch to preserve our lead.

KBH’s incredible skill in the 33rd fooled the Zenit defender into sliding into the space in front of him, before the Korean slipped in Thauvin to his left. Unfortunately just as the Frenchman took his shot, the man next to him managed to get his foot in and force a corner.

A cross from wide on the right in the 42nd was headed down by Hulk for Rondón just 6 yards out, but he smashed it straight into KSG! I couldn’t believe our luck!

Ricardinho had another free kick effort in first half stoppage time. The keeper made a save low to his left, and Molins’ effort from the rebound was from too tight an angle, and was also saved.

In the 57th minute, KBH put in a high cross from wide on the right. Thauvin headed it back across goal for Molins just a couple of yards out. Somehow their keeper held it on the line! A really poor miss from the usually reliable Molins - how costly is that going to be?

I introduced Santos in the 60th minute, switching to 4-2-3-1.

Ajer came on for Gustafson in the 81st, and he and Crisetig pushed back into defensive midfield.

In the 87th KBH passed to Molins who beat two defenders with some magical skill, but was denied by the keeper standing tall.

In the 88th minute, a long ball found a Zenit player in the box, and he half-volleyed home! What a kick in the teeth!

In the 90th minute we launched a counterattack that found Thauvin in space outside the box. He unleashed a pile driver, but was denied acrobatically by the Zenit keeper, who tipped it over the bar.

In the 93rd their striker almost broke free but a last ditch sliding tackle from Helander saved the day.

A draw was a pretty fair result, although I feel hard done by due to their late equaliser, and I felt we had the better of the chances. Helander bounced back from his shocker the other day with an excellent display, capped off with another goal. Molins got player of the match for his admittedly brilliant goal, but he missed two simple finishes that could have won us the game, so I was pretty disappointed with him really. We are going to have to steal points from PSG or when we travel to St Petersburg to have any hopes of progressing. Disappointing result.

POM: Guillermo Molins (8.3, 1G, 0A)

Not a bad result mate, Zenit are no pushovers! Still looking good to go through at this stage.

Not a bad result mate, Zenit are no pushovers! Still looking good to go through at this stage.

Maybe, but I was really hoping to win that one! Not likely to get anything from PSG, and if we lose in Russia then we're relying on Olympiakos to take points from them

Back