Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K
Possebon agrees to sign for Basel. I told him he was welcome back at any time, yet he said he would never come back while I was still manager. This is particularly strange as I’m listed under his favoured personnel. He will join them in January.

AC Milan, Inter Milan, Feyenoord offer interviews

Real Madrid win the Clasico at the Nou Camp, though still trail their rivals by 3 points after 8 rounds.

Injury News...

Forsberg out for 3 weeks

Disastrous news as star keeper Kim Seung-Gyu is out as well, and will likely miss both PSG games. I hope Olsen can repeat his heroics of last season, but he hasn’t played too much this year so it’s a big ask.

Both Milan clubs! Well done mate - you are a man in demand!!

Swedish Premier Division - Game 26 - Ljungskile (Away)

Second placed Djurgården beat third placed Norrköping away yesterday to draw level with us on points at the top of the table, though we have the goal difference advantage, along with two games in hand. It does demonstrate that a poor run of form could see this slip, so a win today is vital to get back on track. I have to hope that my backups can do the job however, as we travel to Paris in 3 days time.

In the 21st minute, Crisetig slipped a pass in to Neri, who gave us the lead with a quality finish high inside the near post. It’s his fifth career goal for us, but his first league goal.

A 34th minute Bengtsson cross found Petkovic at the back post, but his header somehow rebounded off the woodwork.

The youngster had another good chance two minutes later after turning his man and bursting into the area, but his tame effort was held.

In the 57th minute, Kardum was replaced by Santos, who moved to the left wing.

Biro-Biro lobbed a ball into the area for the Brazilian just a minute later, but his header was held by the diving keeper.

Neri played Petkovic in on the hour mark, but the youngster hit the post again.

20 seconds later, Neri slipped him through again, but he was denied by the keeper this time.

I lined up Thauvin to replace him in the 63rd, with Santos to move to right wing, and KBH would also come on for Eriksson.

Before the changes were made though, a Bengtsson cross found Petkovic virtually in the goal, and he finally got on the board. Too late to cancel my changes though.

Bengtsson chipped a cross to Santos at the back post in the 70th, but his header hit the post!

A shocking miscommunication between Romagnoli and Bengtsson, as the former headed straight into the latter, allowed the opposition striker a shot, but Olsen tipped it onto the post and out for a corner.

A solid win, nothing spectacular, as we turn our attention towards the PSG match. Bengtsson and Crisetig were our best players today.

POM: Pierre Bengtsson (8.4, 0G, 1A)

We have set a Premier Division record points tally, with 4 matches still left. This makes Djurgården’s title challenge all the more impressive, as they are just 3 points behind us and have 3 matches to play, one of which will be against us.
Stade de Reims offer an interview. Leverkusen and Lille also approach me

Last edited:
Champions League Group Stage - Game 3 - Paris Saint-Germain (Away)

Huge match today against PSG. We can’t realistically be expected to even draw, but that would be a great result. We will do our best. Helander and Milosevic are reunited at the back, though the latter is short of match fitness, and sit in front of a keeper far inferior to our regular number one.

In the 17th minute Molins broke down the right before squaring for Gustafson, who played the ball forwards to KBH. The Korean spun and slotted the most perfect through ball into the area for the run of Crisetig, who had just his compatriot Sirigu to beat…but was denied, and a corner resulted.

A minute later, KBH smoothly weaved through two defenders before having a crack from range - unfortunately, David Luiz managed to get a touch and redirect it out for another corner.

In the 37th minute a lightning run from Gervinho down the right left Ricardinho for dead, and his cross found Cavani for a volley just a few yards out. 1-0 to the hosts.

We went into the half having spurned two clear cut chances and one half chance, whilst PSG had scored off their solitary half chance - though it was really a clear cut chance in my opinion.

Gervinho cut inside from the left in the 49th and had a go from distance, but his shot was held by the diving Olsen.

Santos came on for Molins in the 54th.

And just a minute later the Brazilian latched onto a brilliant KBH through ball and slotted past Sirigu to tie the game! Or not - offside!

Biro-Biro replaced Crisetig in the 62nd.

Neri replaced Ajer in the 65th, and I shuffled the formation.

Gervinho should have scored in the 69th minute when he was found by Hamsik in oceans of space in the box, but he fired high and wide.

We went into overload mode for the last 20.

In the 79th minute, we failed to properly clear a corner, and it just seemed to sit on our goal line for a few seconds, before Chiricheş knocked it home.

And our ultra attacking strategy allowed them to counter in the 90th, and Lucas Moura finished beautifully to seal our fate.

Santos scored in the 92nd from close range off a Neri cross, but was once again unlucky to be ruled offside.

A frustrating result in the end, and a match that was much closer than the final scoreline. Had we picked up a goal in the first half, or Santos’ first goal not been ruled offside, then I am confident we could have drawn the match. In the end we had to go all out for an equaliser, and were punished on the counter. Every player had a rating from 6.4 to 6.7. Hopefully morale hasn’t been damaged too much, because if we play well at home then I feel we should be able to take a point at least. Zenit beat Galatasaray 3-0 so we fall to third.

POM: Blaise Matuidi (8.3, 0G, 0A)

Swedish Premier Division - Game 27 - Elfsborg (Home)

Big match against Elfsborg, who I’ve lost to twice in three attempts. I really want to win our next two matches, as we play Djurgården in two games time, and have the second PSG match just 3 days after that, so I will have to play a weak team there. Picking up points here is vital in order to prevent Djurgården from having a sniff at the league title.

In the second minute, great passing around the area culminated in Santos finding Rosenberg for an easy finish, but the strike was overturned for offside.

In the 4th minute, a throw in high on the right wing was worked into the box, Neri found Kardum and the youth product lashed a beautiful effort across the keeper and into the top left corner!

Santos nutmegged his man on the edge of the area in the 12th minute, but his low effort was well saved.

In the 21st minute Elfsborg scored, but their striker was a mile offside.

In the 60th minute, two Elfsborg players must have passed back and forth between them 6 or 7 times in our box before one of them lobbed a cross to the far post. The Elfsborg player rose and creamed a header which smashed the top corner of the woodwork and cannoned into the ground, before being cleared. I thought it had gone in!

Neri had had a brilliant game, but had taken a few knocks, so I replaced him with the returning Simon Thern in the 61st minute.

A great lofted through ball from Kardum in the 63rd was well won by Rosenberg, who wriggled free into the box, before firing at goal, but his low shot was saved.

Eriksson came on for Rosenberg and Biro-Biro for Helander in the 68th minute.

Elfsborg launched a brilliant counterattack in the 80th, and their striker raced free, but his shot was straight at Olsen.

In the end a tough but important win. I was pleased that we managed to grind out the result, as we have not been playing too well of late, and Elfsborg are a strong team. Bengtsson and Linnes were excellent, but the two youngsters Neri and Kardum were the stars of the show, and combined for the only goal of the game.

POM: Joakim Kardum (8.9, 1G, 0A)

Swedish Premier Division - Game 28 - Ängelholm (Home)

Ängelholm should not pose any problems today. A win will see us 6 points clear of Djurgården with two games left, and a goal difference lead of 35+, so the title will virtually be guaranteed when we face them in 3 days time.

In the 16th minute, Neri set KBH up about 8 yards out, but he slammed it straight into the keeper.

A long shot from Gustafson a minute later was parried by the keeper, and Thauvin’s followup couldn’t beat him either.

A Ricardinho free kick in the 25th was pumped high into the box, and Molins rose highest to head goalward, but an incredible save denied us our opener.

In the 32nd minute Neri came close with a header, but it was held by the keeper diving at full stretch.

We finally broke the deadlock in the 34th, as a Ricardinho cross was headed back across goal by Molins, then knocked back across goal by the defender who just edged out Thauvin, and Guillermo passed into the open net.

A beautifully weighted Linnes cross in the 37th minute found KBH for a simple half volley which doubled our lead.

Petkovic and Santos replaced Molins and Neri in the 59th minute.

Santos passed forward to KBH in the 65th, and the Korean weaved his way through the defence before firing agonisingly close to the right post from the edge of the area.

Biro-Biro replaced Crisetig in the 75th.

Petkovic fired over when it would have been easier to score in the 85th, but was ruled offside anyway.

An 86th minute bullet from Linnes almost found the top left corner, but was narrowly wide.

In the 89th minute, they pulled a goal back with a header off a free kick that somehow looped high over Olsen and found the far side netting. It was described by the commentator as a total fluke, and I couldn’t agree more.

So in the end a much narrower scoreline than we deserved - it really didn’t reflect the match, and I criticised the team for their profligacy. 71% possession, 43 shots to 3, yet a 2-1 scoreline. Our backups will hopefully do better against Djurgården, before the first team will test themselves against PSG once again.

POM: Joel Westerlund (Ängelholm - 8.7, 0G, 0A)

Best Malmö Player: Martin Linnes (7.9, 0G, 1A)

**** - 43 shots Patrick! Your team would be entertaining as **** to watch!!!

Swedish Premier Division - Game 29 - Djurgården (Away)

So the potential title clincher against Djurgården - a team predicted to finish 8th, yet they’ve been the only side within touching distance of us all season - 13 points clear of third place! This will be a tough match, particularly away, but I’m hopeful my backups can come up with the goods, and we can welcome PSG on the back of a title victory.

Some slick passing around the area in the 11th minute led to Petkovic sliding a ball across the face of goal to leave Neri with the simplest of finishes at the back post. Beautiful team goal, and the vital opening goal!

Eriksson’s flick on for Petkovic in the 18th gave the young winger a chance to shoot first time, but his effort was well saved.

The cleared ball was swung back in by Romagnoli, and Petkovic headed it into the roof of the net, but was offside.

It was hard not to feel sorry for Simon Thern, who has yet to regain match fitness, and he was forced off the field by yet another injury in the 38th minute. His replacement was Kardum.

Petkovic found Eriksson in the area in the 40th, but a defender got a foot in to divert his shot behind.

An Eriksson cross in the 43rd found Petkovic, who controlled, turned his man and shot. He beat the keeper, but not the right post.

In the 44th minute, a somewhat opportunistic piece of play led to a spectacular equaliser for Djurgården. A cross was headed clear, but straight to a man on the edge of the area, who half-volleyed a chip forwards and to his left for Tibbling to crash a perfect volley across Olsen and into the net.

Eriksson’s shot in the 51st minute beat the keeper, but came back off the left post. It appeared to be that sort of day.

Bengtsson came on for Romagnoli and KBH for Eriksson in the 56th.

In the 60th minute I couldn’t believe my eyes as I watched KBH’s shot get blocked, Neri’s followup get saved, and KBH’s followup get blocked as well!

We switched to 4-2-3-1 in the 62nd.

A Neri cross in the 81st was glanced goalward by the head of Kardum, but somehow the keeper caught it at full stretch.

Just 30 seconds later Biro-Biro held back the Djurgården striker as he looked to chase down a long ball. I thought it was going to be red, but was only yellow.

Former player Matthias Lepiller sent in the free kick and it pinballed around for a bit before Olsen made a great save to deny them.

Kardum raced the length of the field and cut inside, but with only the keeper to beat, couldn’t do it, as his effort was tipped over.

I went overload, but today was the sort of day where we couldn’t buy a goal - apart from the first one obviously.

Disappointed with the result, as we had more than enough chances to win the match. Djurgården to their credit played very well, and proved themselves worthy title rivals. They, like us, have lost just two matches all season, but have drawn three more than ourselves. The title is now ours, and hopefully the players’ morale is boosted by this as we square up to PSG in 3 days time.

POM: Oliver Silverholt (Djurgården - 9.0, 0G, 1A)

Best Malmö Player: Gianluca Neri (7.2, 1G, 0A)

So we win the Premier Division! And this time it’s been added to my personal achievements - though last years mixup between the CL and the League still hasn’t been fixed.

I join the Sweden Hall of Fame, ranking in at number 7. Roy Hodgson is number 1, I’ll be looking to overtake him as soon as possible - though with 7 Swedish Premier Divisions and 2 Swedish Cups to his name, it could take me a while!

So SM Caen have lost 6 games in a row, 5 in the league, and no longer lead the Ligue 1 :(

Congrats on the league win mate! The game is just a couple of years ahead on the Champions League win mate - just around the corner I can tell. ;)

Congrats on the league win mate! The game is just a couple of years ahead on the Champions League win mate - just around the corner I can tell. ;)

Hahahaha that's wishful thinking! Didn't you see the thrashing PSG handed to us? :P

Very true! And with a bit more luck we could have taken something from Paris :)

Spoiler: I've played the second PSG match, do you want me to post it now? :P

Keep it chronological :)

I wait with bated breath though!

Back