Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K
Champions League Group Stage - Game 4 - Paris Saint-Germain (Home)

Here is the big game against PSG. With everyone on a high after winning the league, I really hope that we can get at least a draw here today, if not a win. It could prove to be vital in sneaking second place from Zenit.

In the 18th minute Linnes swung in a cross from wide, and it was controlled by Santos on the short side. The Brazilian turned and shot quickly, but Sirigu got behind it and turned it round the post.

In the 27th minute, Linnes won the ball from Cavani in our half, and we flooded forwards. One touch passing from Crisetig, to KBH, to Gustafson, who was tackled. KBH picked up the loose ball and sent a low chip forwards for Thauvin who was running parallel to the baseline. Thauvin struck the sweetest half-volley imaginable and it flew past Sirigu and bulged the roof of the net! What a goal!!

From here I decided to park the bus, and we didn’t give up any real chances for the rest of the half.

In the 63rd minute, Biro-Biro was replaced by Ajer.

In the 67th Gervinho embarked on a mazy run across the top of the box but fired high and wide under pressure.

Molins replaced Santos in the 69th minute.

Romagnoli replaced Gustafson in the 77th, and became a third centre back, with Crisetig dropping back to become a second defensive midfielder.

In the 86th minute Thauvin should have wrapped up the points, but his shot was tipped onto the post by Sirigu.

In the first minute of stoppage time, Bengtsson raced up the left and cut back for Thauvin, who dribbled to the baseline and chipped a cross to Molins at the back post. Molins’ header came straight back to him off a defender, and he murdered a volley! Sirigu didn’t even see it, but it hit the bar and went behind for a goal kick.

It didn’t matter, as we saw out a famous win!

A fantastic performance where we were unquestionably the better side. They had more shots, but they were long range hopeful efforts after we had shut up shop, and in truth we probably should have won by more than we did. The match stats reflect this, with PSG failing to create even a half chance, whilst we had 2 half chances and 2 CCC’s, and hit the woodwork 3 times! I’ll take this result every day of the week though! Our day got even better when we saw that Galatasaray had held Zenit to a draw! We are now two points clear of the Russians, and even if we lose to them we can still go through provided we beat Galatasaray, as PSG are a pretty safe bet to take all the points from them. Delighted with the result today!

POM: Florian Thauvin (8.1, 1G, 0A)

Swedish Premier Division - Game 30 - Halmstad (Away)

So the final day fixture against Halmstad really doesn’t mean a great deal. A few youngsters get to start, it would be nice to finish off a great campaign with a win though!

In just the 4th minute, Crisetig hammered a volley from a Romagnoli corner, but it was saved. The keeper was sprawled on the ground and could do nothing to prevent Helander from sliding the rebound home.

In the 43rd minute, Santos cut back for Neri, who stepped into the box, and was tripped. KBH belted his penalty straight at the keeper, who didn’t even have time to get out of the way - saved!

With seconds remaining in the half, Joakim Kardum went down with a nasty looking injury - lets hope it’s not serious. Thern was his replacement, and Neri pushed forward to the number 10 role.

In the 48th, Thauvin squared the ball for KBH, whose first touch took him past the defender, but his shot was straight at the keeper again.

Biro-Biro replaced Helander in the 62nd.

Petkovic replaced KBH in the 67th, and Santos moved up top.

Santos played a lovely ball across the box to Thauvin in the 72nd, but the Frenchman hit the post, from a position ruled marginally offside anyway.

A brilliant run down the right flank by Petkovic in the 74th, where he beat no less than 3 men, gave him space to cross, and Santos slammed a low volley straight at the keeper. The rebound fell to him however, and he finished at the second time of asking. Petkovic was unfortunate to miss out on an assist.

In the 79th minute, Halmstad corralled a loose ball in our box, and their right winger blasted it! Olsen managed to get his hands up just in time to deflect it wide.

In the 82nd minute, a Linnes cross should have resulted in an easy finish for Neri, but he picked out the keeper with the rest of the goal gaping.

In the 84th, a counterattack released Neri on the left, and Santos powered home a header from the Italian’s cross.

In the 90th, a cross from Romagnoli was headed on by Neri, and fell to Petkovic at the back post, but the youngster was denied by the keeper at point blank range.

Everyone other than KBH played well today as we completed a comfortable 3-0 win in our last league match of the year. Romagnoli and Santos each had a rating of 9, and were the standouts in a great all round performance.

POM: Santos (9.0, 2G, 0A)

End of Domestic Season Summary

View attachment 257649

So this concludes the domestic season, as we take out the title once again. We were much more dominant than last season, yet were just 6 points ahead of second placed Djurgården, whose points tally would have been enough to win the league in any other season in the history of the Swedish Premier Division. We finish the season on 78 points, with ourselves and Djurgården (72) both surpassing the previous record points tally in a season of 67. Such a low record points tally suggests that this league has historically been very competitive, much like it was last season. Norrköping and Häcken finished third and fourth, and may both be competing in Europe next season - for reasons I still don’t know, there were 5 Swedish teams in Europe this year. Top 3 in the league, one for Fair Play, and the team that came fourth in the league was also in it, and I’m not sure why as the table does not indicate this. Hopefully there are 5 again next season, and at least one of them can make the Europa League Group Stages. At the other end of the table, Ängelholm and Åtvidaberg face relegation, whilst Mjällby will enter a playoff against GIF Sundsvall, who finished third in the First Division Elite. I was delighted to see Jönköpings Södra win the First Division Elite, and they, along with Gefle, will join us in the top flight next season. AIK finished just 8th, which is a real shame as I was hoping they would bounce straight back up. I may look to help them out with loans next season if possible. We are also now the most decorated team in the history of the competition, with 19 titles.

View attachment 257648

Swedish Super Cup Final

View attachment 257647

For some reason I can’t figure out, we will play Norrköping in the Super Cup Final. This is despite us winning both domestic trophies, and I therefore expected to face Djurgården in this cup, which would undoubtedly have been a great match. A google search confirms that it should be the league runners up in the event of one team winning the double, so I’m not sure what’s going on. Norrköping are a team who haven’t been in great form recently, having limped over the line into third place in the league, and who we beat 4-1 and 3-0 during the season, so we shouldn’t have any difficulty. It would be nice to know how they qualified though.

Neri injured on international duty
Swedish Player of the Year Award Winners - Ibrahimovic took the overall Player of the Year Award

Transfer News...
And here is my new record signing - Héctor Díaz. I don’t know what my assistant manager is smoking but he only rates him as 4 star potential. He is surely much better than that! There’s room for improvement physically and in some mental stats like concentration, decisions and composure, but he matches up to anyone technically, and is still young. He won’t be able to play in the Super Cup today sadly, as he’s injured, but only for a couple of days.

Another future world beater comes to Malmo! Unreal recruitment!

Another future world beater comes to Malmo! Unreal recruitment!

Yeah I hope my assistant is wrong, it would be annoying if he didn't have much room for growth, but hopefully he can become world class, he's already pretty good for his age!

how is zlatan looking stats wise?

Still pretty insane, not sure if he or Cavani is their first choice because he was injured around the time we played them. Hopefully in a couple of years they'll let his contract run down and we can bring him back to Malmo

Swedish Super Cup Final - Norrköping (Neutral)

Due to International call ups, I have not got much of a choice for my team selection today. I can almost get a full team out, but Brorsson has to start in central defence again, and the bench is almost entirely youth players - without much talent, I might add. I had to give 7 new squad numbers today, as most of them have never been near the first team before. I have to hope that the first team players I do have are enough to get the job done.

In just the 7th minute, Santos was brought down in the box, and a penalty was awarded. Eriksson put it away.

Ajer flicked a header from a 17th minute Ricardinho corner on to Brorsson at the back post, but his header at goal was blocked.

In the 27th minute a Linnes cross was headed across goal by a defender, and Thauvin struck a venomous half volley low inside the near post to double our lead.

In the 41st minute, Santos cut inside and passed to Thauvin, who also cut inside and bent a gorgeous effort inside the right post from outside the area to make it 3.

In the 70th minute one of their players picked up a second yellow card.

I replaced Ajer and Grändås with Cederholm and Westerberg seconds later.

Tinnerholm replaced Ricardinho and Linnes moved to left back in the 75th.

In injury time, Santos picked up a knock and I went to take him off. His pass as he injured himself found Tinnerholm out wide on the right, who swung a cross to the back post for Thauvin to volley home and complete his hat trick.

A good win in the end, Brorsson did pretty well at the back, although in truth he wasn’t tested much. Thauvin was magnificent, and hopefully Santos isn’t badly injured.

POM: Florian Thauvin (9.6, 3G, 0A)

Back