Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K
Champions League Group Stage - Game 6 - Zenit (Away)

This fixture is less important than it could have been had we not had such a great result against PSG, and had Zenit not drawn with Galatasaray. Nonetheless, I want to win to end the season on a high, and to instil confidence in my team for the knockout rounds. Besides, there is still a tiny chance that we could finish ahead of Paris.

Petkovic raced for the box in the 2nd minute, and was tackled, but the loose ball rolled into the path of KBH, who could only find the keeper’s arms.

In the 11th minute a free kick from wide on the right was swung in by Ricardinho, and Helander belted a header inside the near post to give us the lead!

Just 5 minutes later, Helander had his second! A Ricardinho corner was cleared, but the Brazilian chased it down, and played the ball down to Santos who had drifted wide. Santos delivered a low cross to Helander at the near post, who slammed it home!

In the 33rd minute, a floating cross from the left was met by a vicious volley from Kalitvintsev, but KSG displayed brilliant reflexes to tip it round the post.

Petkovic was having a field day on the right wing, and he raced past his man yet again in the 42nd minute, before delivering a perfect cross from wide through the 6 yard box which left Santos with the easiest of finishes at the back post.

Ricardinho ballooned a free kick over the bar in the 46th minute.

In the 59th minute some good passing around the edge of the area resulted in KBH sending a quick shot towards the goal. The keeper’s outstretched hand knocked it onto the inside of the post, before it rebounded into the net off the unfortunate keeper. I thought it should have been counted as KBH’s goal as it appeared to be going in anyway, but apparently not.

In the 71st minute, youngsters Romagnoli, Neri and Kardum replaced Ricardinho, Santos and Gustafson.

In the 72nd, Kardum displayed some lovely skill before releasing Petkovic down the right. Petkovic left the full back for dead and made a bee line for the corner flag, before putting in a cross, which the keeper tried to reach, got a fingertip to, and only succeeded in helping it find Neri, who was left with an easy finish at the back post.

In the 77th minute, they finally pulled a goal back, Kerzhakov getting on the board with a close range header.

In the 87th minute KBH punished the centre back for mucking around with the ball on the edge of the box, tackling him and moving up to the keeper. He showed dazzling footwork to send the keeper one way, step inside and pass into the far corner of the net.

We were far too good for the Russians today, thrashing them in their own backyard. Petkovic was incredible filling in for Molins, and the entire starting lineup was absolutely sensational. We finish the group stages with a better goal difference than PSG, but as they beat Galatasaray 1-0, they finish above us in the group. I’m already looking forward to the knockout rounds. I think that if we can avoid a huge team like Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern or Chelsea then we will be in with a decent chance.

POM: Filip Helander (9.4, 2G, 0A)

Players of the Year

Honourable mention #1: Santos

The young Brazilian joined mid season, and in 22 appearances since, has had an impact on almost every game he participated in, whether it was from the start, or coming off the bench. He demonstrated his versatility too, making appearances on both wings, behind the striker, and even as the striker, but played brilliantly in each. He is going to be a vital player for us going forward.

Honourable mention #2: Simon Gustafson

Took the reins as the team’s chief playmaker in the centre from Simon Thern, who suffered from injuries all year, and was brilliant. Whilst he only picked up 8 assists, he was involved in a great deal of our goals, despite not always giving the final pass. He also chipped in with some useful goals.

Honourable mention #3: Martin Linnes

Firmly established himself as my first choice right back and was very dependable all year. He didn’t offer the same threat going forward as my left backs, but he didn’t have as expansive a role in the 4-3-3 formation, and additionally, was not a set piece taker. Vindicated my decision to move Mater and Concha on, as he proved an upgrade on both of them, as well as Tinnerholm.

Honourable mention #4: Kim Byung-Hyun

A solid debut season for the talented young striker. It took him a while to get going, but when he did, he established himself as my first choice striker ahead of Eriksson. He was a creator as well as a scorer, highlighted by his 13 assists to go along with 16 goals in all competitions. I’ll be looking for him to step up next season, with the added competition of Delahaye and Jovic sure to put pressure on his place in the team.

5 - Alexander Milosevic:

The fans had reservations when I signed him from rivals AIK at the beginning of the season, but he dispelled all doubts by forging a dominating partnership with Helander in the centre of my defence.

4 - Ricardinho:

Finished the season with the highest average rating, but last years player of the year was, in my opinion, overshadowed by three others, as he ended up becoming the second choice behind Bengtsson, and thus had the easier games in the Champions league. He kept up his incredibly high standards though, and is surely on his way to cementing his status as a club icon at least!

3 - Filip Helander:

The rock in the centre of my defence, and the team’s leader. I can only remember him having one bad game all season, and we lost it, demonstrating how important he has been for us. He was imperious at the back, and a constant set piece threat, illustrated by his 12 goals in all competitions. His partnership with Milosevic has proven to be Champions League calibre.

2 - Pierre Bengtsson:

The Sweden international proved to be a brilliant addition to the side, displacing last season’s best player, Ricardinho, from my preferred starting lineup. He was a constant threat with his crossing and his set piece delivery, and was solid in defence. A brilliant Bosman signing if ever there was one!

1 - Florian Thauvin:

An opportunistic signing made towards the end of the window, but undoubtedly the best one. He’s way too good for the Swedish League, and he showed it, with 19 goals from the wing in all competitions to lead our scoring charts. There was a period where he was simply unplayable, and everything he touched turned to goals, which was unfortunately cut short by injury. He still managed to prove the difference time and again, and in big games such as the win over PSG. Initially when I signed him I thought it would be a short term thing, and I would make a profit off selling him back to a bigger club, but right now I don’t want to let go of him!

Captaincy Change...

I’ve broken the news to Markus Rosenberg that I will be replacing him as captain. He resisted initially but I talked him around, and he agreed to step aside. He is a fan favourite but he has struggled to get into the team this season, and will hopefully be moved on in the summer, though I have no doubt the fans and board will be unhappy about it. Filip Helander is the new captain, promoted from his role of vice-captain, and Lorenzo Crisetig becomes the vice-captain. Despite receiving this email, almost every player in the squad was delighted by the appointment of Helander, and not one complained.

Ajer, Linnes and Petkovic all want to discuss moves to the Premier League. They, like everyone else so far, were persuaded that they wouldn’t get first team football there.

Turns out the fans disagree with me, voting Gustafson as the player of the year. The season’s Best XI is pretty similar to my first choice lineup, except Bengtsson would edge Ricardinho at left back. The overall Best XI has undergone some changes too.

Simon Thern wants to join Leicester, but the same old story convinces him to stay put.

That conveyor belt of youth keeps bringing them in for you mate! Unbelievable result against Zenit!

How are your intakes looking mate, any future Zlatan's coming through?

You have probably mentioned them before but i'm old & forgetful! :P

How are your intakes looking mate, any future Zlatan's coming through?

You have probably mentioned them before but i'm old & forgetful! :P

Old people...

The first year's intake was rubbish, the second one was mostly rubbish, except for Joakim Kardum (AMC), and there's also a CM who is okay, but probably won't make it here

Champions League First Knockout Round Draw

View attachment 256757

You couldn’t write it could you?! I wanted CSKA Moscow, but instead draw Liverpool! Now I’ll be sad no matter who wins! :P

Would anyone be interested in a summary of the best youth prospects I have at the club currently? Accompanied by screenshots of course. I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on which are the best prospects, and what I should do with them in future

Would anyone be interested in a summary of the best youth prospects I have at the club currently? Accompanied by screenshots of course. I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on which are the best prospects, and what I should do with them in future
Of course, always thought everyone loved a look at youth prospects and thats why I flaunted Graham Dalton and Liam Warren!

Young Talent Report

Part One of Three

View attachment 256733

Kristoffer Ajer

- Defensive Midfielder/Centre Midfielder

- Produced by Lillestrøm Academy (2013).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2015 from Start (600k).

Plans for the future:

Rotational option for the next season. As we transition more towards a 4-2-3-1 rather than the 4-3-3, his future will be cast under more scrutiny unless he can prove himself. Could be retrained as a centre back or have a future in centre midfield, but is more likely to be sold for profit in a couple of seasons.

My Prospect Ranking: 12

Kim Byung-Hyun

- Striker

- Produced by Kwangyang Jechul High School (2014).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2015 (91k).

Plans for the future:

Begins next season as first choice striker after ousting Eriksson this season. No intention of ever selling unless he falls down the pecking order. Hopefully will be here for many years.

My Prospect Ranking: 2

Dorian Delahaye

- Striker

- Produced by Anderlecht Academy (2015).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2016 (625k).

Plans for the future:

Will play a backup role next season, before fighting for a first team slot with Kim Byung-Hyun and Luka Jovic in the future. Alternatively, he may be loaned out this season or next to gain first team experience - maybe to AIK? Considering using him as a winger, probably right wing, if he can't challenge for a role up front.

My Prospect Ranking:

Héctor Díaz

- Centre Midfielder

- Produced by Boca Juniors Academy (2015).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2016 (5.75m).

Plans for the future:

Will begin next season as a rotational option for central midfield. Has the potential to develop into a first team member either in central midfield or as the attacking midfielder. Club record signing so is unlikely to be sold save for a monumental sum.

My Prospect Ranking: 5

Young Talent Report

Part Two of Three

View attachment 256729

Luka Jovic

- Striker

- Produced by Loznica Academy (2009).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2016 from Red Star Belgrade (600k).

Plans for the future:

Will fight with Kim Byung-Hyun and Dorian Delahaye for many years for the first choice striker role. Magnus Eriksson will also provide competition for a year or two. Unlikely to sell unless outperformed by aforementioned two and an acceptable offer comes in.

My Prospect Ranking: 6

Joakim Kardum

- Attacking Midfielder

- Produced by Malmö FF Academy (2015).

Plans for the future:

Future first team star. Possible loan this season or next to further development, but is almost certainly going to play a big role in the club’s future, especially after coming through the youth system.

My Prospect Ranking: 4

Sixten Mohlin

- Goalkeeper

- Produced by Malmö FF Academy (2012).

Plans for the future:

Future first team goalkeeper barring the signing of a better prospect, or one coming through the academy. Hopefully will be introduced to the first team as backup this season.

My Prospect Ranking: 11

Gianluca Neri

- Attacking Midfielder

- Produced by Pro Patria Academy (2014). Joined Malmö FF in 2014 (525k).

Plans for the future:

Will remain with the first team for the next season, and will probably become a rotation option for most of his career here. May be sold if a large enough offer is made.

My Prospect Ranking: 10

I forget how young some of your guys are! Byung-Hyun looks amazing - are you leveraging his nationality and doing bulk Korea tours to raise your profile over there?

I forget how young some of your guys are! Byung-Hyun looks amazing - are you leveraging his nationality and doing bulk Korea tours to raise your profile over there?

Yeah KBH is pretty awesome! I haven't been able to yet because the board won't let me travel that far, but he and KSG were the top two shirt sellers!

Young Talent Report

Part Three of Three

View attachment 256715

Marinívio Pastore, “Biro-Biro”

- Defensive Midfielder/Centre Back/Left Back

- Produced by Atlético Mineiro Academy (2014).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2015 (525k).

Plans for the future:

First choice defensive midfielder in that formation, rotational centre back and centre midfielder too. Unlikely to see much game time at left back due to the presence of Ricardinho, Bengtsson and Romagnoli. Disinclined to sell.

My Prospect Ranking: 8

Drasko Petkovic

- Right Winger

- Produced by Landskrona Academy (2014).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2015 (185k).

Plans for the future:

Has performed well this season as a rotational option, and is likely to remain in that role next season. Wanted by big clubs abroad so there is a possibility he will be sold for a big enough offer, but I’m inclined to try to keep him here due to his Swedish nationality. He has heavy competition for a future starting role though.

My Prospect Ranking: 9

Damián Romagnoli

- Centre Back/Left Back

- Produced by Argentinos Juniors Academy (2014).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2015 (2.2m).

Plans for the future:

Rotational option for both left and centre back, possibly right back as well. Long term future is likely to be at full back due to his incredible crossing ability. Unlikely to sell except for a massive figure.

My Prospect Ranking: 3

Alcir Gonçalves dos Santos, “Santos”

- Left Winger

- Produced by Sāu Paulo Academy (2014).

- Joined Malmö FF in 2015 (725k).

Plans for the future:

In my opinion, the best prospect of them all, who is already better than many players in the big leagues, and wouldn’t look out of place in a club like Liverpool or Arsenal. Can play anywhere in the attacking midfield strata or even as striker. No doubt that he will become one of the world’s elite players, and as such even a monumental offer would not sway me to sell him. Future club legend.

My Prospect Ranking: 1

So do you guys agree with how I've ranked them? What are your thoughts?

Who do you think I should look to play, to loan, to sell etc?

Back