Malmo FF - A Swedish Adventure

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 500K

First time I’ve been offered an interview in a while actually. Decided to attend, I could negotiate with my board to stay, or if I get offered the job that’s a steam achievement right?

Well I’m annoyed because I rejected the chance to talk to the board about our vision in the hopes of being offered the Napoli job for the achievement. Then U.S.A. came along and offered me their job out of the blue, and I got the achievement anyway. Ridiculous! I rejected the offer by the way.

Swedish Super Cup - Final - Elfsborg (Neutral)

A mostly rotated lineup today against Elfsborg for the Swedish Super Cup. Once again it’s the team who placed third in the league competing against us in the Super Cup - yet another error in the game for the Swedish league. Regardless, Elfsborg are a good side, and we’ll need to play well to win.

In the first 15 seconds Forsberg made a great run, and played Jovic through, but the Serbian was denied by the keeper.

In the 18th minute Bengtsson’s cross was headed down by Jovic, and volleyed emphatically into the net by Forsberg.

Jovic darted through the defence and shot agonisingly close to the top left corner in the 21st minute , but just missed his mark.

In the 35th minute Neri failed to capitalise on a mistake by the defence, shooting wide when he found space on the break.

In the 54th minute Neri played a great pass after receiving a throw in, and found Gustafson in space in the area. Gustafson played an exceptionally unselfish pass to Jovic for an easy finish.

Romagnoli replaced Helander in the 62nd minute.

Petkovic was on for Molins in the 64th.

In the 75th minute Jovic picked up his second with a floated header off Tinnerholm’s chipped cross.

Kardum returned from injury in place of Thern seconds later. Gustafson was moved to the defensive role, Neri back to CM and Kardum to AMC.

We demonstrated with ease today our superiority in Sweden, with a backup side. We were hardly threatened, but did the job up the other end comfortably, and picked up our third Swedish Super Cup. We don’t play Benfica for 16 days so I will arrange a couple of friendlies.

POM: Luka Jovic (9.2, 2G, 1A)

I want to see you sell them all & make Malmo the richest club in Europe :P

Champions League Group Stage - Game 5 - Benfica (Home)

Crisetig’s suspension means that the only change to our starting lineup against Utrecht is Biro-Biro in midfield. Kardum and Quintero are able to make the bench, which is promising.

In the 2nd minute Thauvin was fouled on the edge of the area. He stepped up to take the free kick, and smashed the bar.

Santos received Thauvin’s low free kick in the 15th minute and brilliantly backheeled it to Petkovic, who teed up Díaz for a shot - post! The woodwork was proving to be Benfica’s best defender so far.

But the ball wasn’t cleared properly and then Milosevic was on hand to tap home the loose ball, and we were in front!

In the 21st minute Benfica countered, and did so with precision, Rodrigo picking out Jonas’ run for a comfortable finish. I thought he was offside, but apparently not.

It was KBH’s electric pace that allowed us to regain the lead in the 29th minute. Díaz’s pass allowed him to take on the centre back’s, and he raced around them before slotting past the keeper from close range.

A similar pass from Díaz in the 34th found KBH again, and this time he went the other way before shooting from the edge of the box. It was parried, and Petkovic was first to the rebound, but his defender managed to dive in and block his effort with the keeper in trouble.

Santos looped a shot over a minute later after a nice turn on the edge of the box.

In the 47th minute Milosevic scored his second goal, just his fourth of the season! Romagnoli’s near post corner was headed on by Helander, and Milosevic volleyed it home!

In the 54th minute a hopeful long ball from their right back was missed by Helander and Rodrigo was through! He raced goalward, before doing his best to hit the corner flag, and narrowly missing.

Petkovic made way for Kardum in the 64th, who swapped with Santos.

In the 67th minute Thauvin’s free kick was parried by the keeper, and Santos was left with an easy finish, but hit it straight to the keeper.

But a minute later the Brazilian was heavily involved in the build up to Linnes’ cross, which found the back of the net via the head of KBH, who picked up his second of the match.

In the 74th minute Bengtsson and Quintero replaced Romagnoli and Díaz. Kardum dropped back into Díaz’s position.

In the 85th minute some brilliant passing culminated in Quintero finding KBH, who with the chance to go for his hat trick, passed to Thauvin, who couldn’t miss, but did, the keeper flinging himself full length to parry his effort.

In the 88th minute Quintero waltzed through the defence and found himself in some space just outside the box. His shot whistled past the left post.

In the 90th Thauvin finally got himself on the board, as Santos’ effort was parried, and he reacted faster than his defender to capitalise on the loose ball.

We did everything right today, and Benfica were on the receiving end of our excellent display. Brilliant performances across the board once again. With Man United’s 5-2 win over Utrecht, our place in the knockout stage alongside the Manc’s is secured, though we play for top spot when we visit Old Trafford. Benfica will need to reverse a 2-1 away defeat to Utrecht in order to qualify for the Europa League.

POM: Alexander Milosevic (9.2, 2G, 0A)

Injury News...

Gustafson will miss the Man Utd match

One thing I’ve liked on this save is the tycoon takeovers! Mallorca and Sochaux both appear to have had them, and they are both clubs I like. Now Zaragoza might be following suit, and I like them too!

Our very ordinary Director of Football was listed as a club legend, so I decided to give him a new contract. Tinnerholm, Helander and Bengtsson were all offered new deals.

I knew you'd beaten Benfica. ;)

Congrats on the qualification to the knockout stages!

How would you feel about a Malmo takeover?

I think I'd rather not have a takeover. My current board are pretty reasonable - though they keep refusing to expand the stadium, and it would reduce the challenge of the save. I'd be delighted if another Swedish club had a takeover though!

Champions League Group Stage - Game 6 - Manchester United (Away)

The only changes to the side that thrashed Benfica are Crisetig and Kardum joining the starting lineup, with Biro-Biro and Petkovic dropping to the bench. This is a vital fixture. A loss or a nil all draw, and we will finish 2nd. A 1-1 draw should see us finish first on goal difference, whereas a higher scoring draw or a win will definitely have us top the group. That has to be the aim. Biggest game of the season so far, and it’s the last one.

In just the second minute Romagnoli put a corner into the box, but first Helander’s shot was blocked, before De Gea saved Santos’ effort on the line!

But in the 11th minute the Spanish keeper could do nothing to prevent us taking the lead. Romagnoli’s cross was met by a perfect header from KBH, and it arrowed into the top right corner!

We immediately switched to a more conservative game plan.

Conservative it might have been, but that didn’t stop KBH doubling his personal tally, and our lead, right on the 13 minute mark with a well directed volley from Linnes’ cross.

In the 24th the Korean danced past the United centre backs before curling the ball towards the bottom right corner, but this time De Gea was equal to it.

Just a minute later Mata found Falcao behind the defence, and the Colombian beat KSG from close range. He was, however, comfortably offside.

In the 35th minute Santos sprayed the ball out to Romagnoli, who had just taken a corner. He looped a cross to the far post, where Thauvin met it with a cracking volley, which De Gea did extraordinarily well to tip around the post.

From the corner, Helander put a near post header on target, but De Gea was once again airborne in time to tip it over the bar.

In stoppage time Santos chased down a cleared corner and gave it back to Romagnoli. Helander’s header from the subsequent cross hit the bar, but Milosevic at the back post had an open goal, and his header clipped the bar on it’s way into the net.

3-0 at half time! Three of my defenders had an assist, and the fourth had a goal!

Helander’s near post volley from another Romagnoli corner in the 60th minute hit the post before being cleared.

In the 64th Santos got through the defence but was denied at the near post by De Gea.

Seconds later, Díaz was replaced by Quintero, who switched with Kardum.

Bengtsson and Biro-Biro replaced Romagnoli and Kardum in the 72nd minute. I dropped Biro-Biro and Crisetig back to anchormen, and shut up shop.

In the 87th minute KBH should have sealed his hat trick when Santos found him in the box with just De Gea to beat, but his uncharacteristically tame shot was easily held.

Not that it mattered in the end, as he had done the damage in the space of 90 seconds in the first half! Brilliant performance that sees us top our group, boosting our chances of going to the Quarter Finals significantly! Everyone did their jobs, and United hardly had a sniff in their own backyard! Utrecht beat Benfica courtesy of a Badjeck hat trick to deny the Portuguese outfit a place in the Europa League.

POM: Kim Byung-Hyun (9.2, 2G, 0A)

Incredible result ! Unbelievable !!!! Such an amazing game !
Congrats on the Benfica match too ;)

Back