Manchester United set to complete £16m deal for Blackburn's Phil Jones

• Thread starter Thread starter leke
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 102
  • Views Views 6K
Good deal for United, but I would love to have him at Anfield to boost our weak - and ageing - defence.

And £16m is not much, English players/youngsters are inflated and the transfer prices have gone up significantly nowadays, especially when clubs are reluctant to sell.

Anyway, I don't see why he's gone to United instead of us - although they are currently a better club - as he doesn't have much of a chance of starting there - whilst we have a poor defence and many players are getting older. Smalling, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown and Evans are all top defenders who will battle for CB so I don't see how he's going to get many games with Smalling on form, Ferdinand forming a great partnership with Vidic, Vidic indispensible, Brown an experienced and capable defender and Evans rated highly by Fergie.

Good deal for United, but I would love to have him at Anfield to boost our weak - and ageing - defence.

And £16m is not much, English players/youngsters are inflated and the transfer prices have gone up significantly nowadays, especially when clubs are reluctant to sell.

Anyway, I don't see why he's gone to United instead of us - although they are currently a better club - as he doesn't have much of a chance of starting there - whilst we have a poor defence and many players are getting older. Smalling, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown and Evans are all top defenders who will battle for CB so I don't see how he's going to get many games with Smalling on form, Ferdinand forming a great partnership with Vidic, Vidic indispensible, Brown an experienced and capable defender and Evans rated highly by Fergie.

Brown has barely played this season, and is most likely going to Sunderland it seems. Evans has already been overtaken by Smalling in the pecking order, he's been poor all season. Jones also covers a big gaping hole in our DM, where we massively lack a player as shown by Fletcher's virus.

Brown has barely played this season, and is most likely going to Sunderland it seems. Evans has already been overtaken by Smalling in the pecking order, he's been poor all season. Jones also covers a big gaping hole in our DM, where we massively lack a player as shown by Fletcher's virus.
Brown is probably leaving, but Smalling is a young defender who would replace Ferdinand surely? Still, I do agree you need a DM as Fletcher is sometimes injured and Carrick & Co. are more attacking. You don't really have a clear DM and AM (Sneidjer and Jones), most of your midfielders are just CMs.

Brown is probably leaving, but Smalling is a young defender who would replace Ferdinand surely? Still, I do agree you need a DM as Fletcher is sometimes injured and Carrick & Co. are more attacking. You don't really have a clear DM and AM (Sneidjer and Jones), most of your midfielders are just CMs.

Smalling is long term for Ferdinand, Jones the future Vidic. Depending if we sign Varane or not, 3 way competition for the 2 spots which can only be good. I have no doubt Jones will get plenty of game time, rotating in midfield and defence.

Smalling is long term for Ferdinand, Jones the future Vidic. Depending if we sign Varane or not, 3 way competition for the 2 spots which can only be good. I have no doubt Jones will get plenty of game time, rotating in midfield and defence.
I know competition is good, but this many players cost money and wages. Signings for 'the future' don't always work out - Vidic is still fairly young and can carry on for a few years and where will Jones play there, if Fletcher stays fit?

I see Jones playing more DM than CB initially then eventually Smalling/Jones partnership at the back

I know competition is good, but this many players cost money and wages. Signings for 'the future' don't always work out - Vidic is still fairly young and can carry on for a few years and where will Jones play there, if Fletcher stays fit?

With Scholes, VDS, Brown, Hargreaves, O'Shea, Gibson and maybe more leaving, a lot of money for wages will be freed up.

Maybe abit hefty on the price but thats because he is English. Could go on to be a great player, reminds me of a young JT. One hitch could be he has already had a nasty knee injury, yes ok Utd wouldnt have signed him if they knew there may be future complications but there is always a risk.

BBC Radio Lancashire claim that #Rovers defender Phil Jones has failed #MUFC medical #BRFC
Richard Buxton

Maybe abit hefty on the price but thats because he is English. Could go on to be a great player, reminds me of a young JT. One hitch could be he has already had a nasty knee injury, yes ok Utd wouldnt have signed him if they knew there may be future complications but there is always a risk.

BBC Radio Lancashire claim that #Rovers defender Phil Jones has failed #MUFC medical #BRFC
Richard Buxton

If true just as i stated only minutes ago ay.

Richard__Buxton Richard Buxton
No details given for why Jones reportedly failed medical but possibly connected to hamstring problem suffered in December #Rovers #MUFC

"If you fail a medical that Owen Hargreaves once passed then you must be clinically dead."
Haha.

A club can still choose to sign him regardless of the medical, right?

A club can still choose to sign him regardless of the medical, right?

They can indeed. Torres didnt even complete a medical before he signed for Chelsea because he had no time, he done it the day after.

Yes and end up with the new Hargreaves.

one hamstring injury in december =/= severe tendonitis. Medicals are very strict and easy to fail.

United simply chose to ignore the warnings with hargreaves and believed the risk was worth it at time, couldnt have forseen it would get so bad (Steadman called it the worst case he had ever seen)

Back