This tactic looks awesome can't wait to try it. My question is which position do you find getting the goals or is it spread around the team? Also do you score many from corners.
Can't wait to play with 2 strikers again!!

This tactic looks awesome can't wait to try it. My question is which position do you find getting the goals or is it spread around the team? Also do you score many from corners.
im my save with R.Madrid is the rigth striker who score +30 per season,but the two strikers can do it. And all the midfielders score a lot ( the two offensive in the midle are so nice to see them )

Thanks for that. I've decided to have a nice easy game so I'm man city. (Already done my lengthy careers etc)
so I want total dominance with stacks of cash. I just couldn't find something with great attacking and high goal ratio

I'm sure that the CM's will score quite a few goals and make several assists as well, but ofcourse creativity finishing and pace can be of great benefit in the centremidfield, but in case you don't have such you can do well with DM/CM types who are strong and creative. Corners look really good its very different than the typical 6 lurking outside area with good defenders who is good in jumping/heading you will score a fair few, with Man.city you should easily aquire the right players. In my France squad it was the SCL that scored the most, but both SC's looks dangerous.

Your aim should be to win as many matches as possible with Man.City

Alright I couldn't wait testing this tactic and I actually had already decided to use my own tactic playing France in the world cup, in my current save I don't have any real good CM/AM types who are good at dribbling so the players called up for France was mainly DM/MC types but looking more thoroughly at the players they are more deeplaying playmaker types, so would fit badly in marcelo's high reputation tactic. I decided too use Marcelo's tactic anyway and I was very sceptical becourse of my midfield problem and ofcourse the fact that France aren't fluid in the tactic, this happened!

2nd match in the Group VS Argentina
View attachment 631017

An absolutely positive and unexpected surprise to beat Argentina 4-1 but even better was the way it happened, a brilliant corner kick setup led to several goals, and I thought the lurk outside area with 5-6 players was the way too go, but this proved me wrong. The passing was exellent and with a much better team I can see destruction happening. The negative for me is the amount of chances created compared to my own tactic, but I think that will improve with a great team so I'm not really negative about that, I can say the chances that France did have made them look extremely dangerous. So for a first shot on this tactic I will call it very promising, oh and yeah the left winger was a wingback cause I expected to play with wingbacks from my own tactic, however I did have a world class winger on the right becourse my tactic can play with wingers too, but this was exellent, I can't wait to test it further it looked really good.

Hi, so the corners in this tactic are good? I used the default tactic for a bot but wasn't scoring a lot of goals from them (and the corners were not set to near post), so I changed. Should I revert back? Does the original work?

Hi, so the corners in this tactic are good? I used the default tactic for a bot but wasn't scoring a lot of goals from them (and the corners were not set to near post), so I changed. Should I revert back? Does the original work?

I normally change corner kick setup to the 6 lurking and near post, but on this tactic I decided not to do it, becourse of the success screenshots shown, it was an indicator for me to keep everything as it is. I have my defenders for France score several already. It was a defender that destroyed Argentina from corners winning 4-1. It will be even better with a club

First game trialling this out with a Wigan team that has been struggling for goals despite splashing out £20m on strikers...and I won 1-0. I did however play 72 minutes with 9 men so even missing the RW and a striker it was effective. Let's see how the rest of the year goes...

Twelve games in, started so well but it has disappointed recently. Results to date:
Burnley (19th) H 1-0 W
Swansea (17th) A 1-2 W
St Etienne H 1-1 D
Notts Forest (18th) A 1-3 W
Everton (14th) A 5-4 L
Besiktas A 1-3 W
Tottenham (10th) 1-1 D
Newcastle (12th) 1-2 L
Besiktas H 3-2 W
Man U (3rd) H 0-3 L
Fulham (7th) H 0-1 L
Norwich (8th) H 3-3 D

Summary:
Goals scored: 22
Goals conceded: 21
Won: 5
Drawn: 3
Lost: 4

Average shots for per game: 8
Average shots against per game: 9
Average Possession: 47%

The formation that it clearly struggles against is 4-3-3. All of the defeats and the Norwich draw were versus 4-3-3 formations playing advanced wingers/inside forwards which suggests considerable weakness against width. I will add that my first choice defence has been severely injury plagued.

The majority of my goals have been shared by my advanced forward and the two CM's. The DLF has contributed 1 goal between the three players used there but has managed 5 assists.

I have tweaked the formation to reduce the number of crosses we concede by shifting the wingers back to wing backs so I will see how effective that is.

So, my results with this tactic. Used for 3 seasons with Palermo in 2029-2031. Already were a decent team, CL finalists before I took over, a top 3 team in Serie A. Its a poor league with only Juventus really Strong. I like to tinker with teams so sold a lot of players and rebuilt the team using regen wonderkids with high potential but low ability at start.

I also modified the corners with near post and the usual, so that may have affected the goal output! Will try unmodified next. I also rotate a lot, you won't find a player that plays like 33-34 league games a season so that might also affect the results as my best 11 don't go out for many matches (but the sides are pretty comparable).

Three consecutive league titles. 2 consecutive cups and Champions Leagues.

View attachment 357008

League tables: as you can see, similar amount of goals scored but goals conceded and points dramatically improve as my regens fulfill their potential. 100% League record last season (unprecedented, the best I had before was 35W,3D and 37W,1L with Arrigo Sacchi 442 with my Athletico Madrid side, around 130-140 goals scored, but that side was very very strong i.e. much stronger regens)
Tables
View attachment 357007View attachment 357006View attachment 357005

League, Champions League, and Cup Fixtures for 3rd season:
View attachment 357004View attachment 357003View attachment 357002
Yep, 2 losses in all competitions (CL), no draws.

Players: As mentioned before, high potential regens that reached their peak in the third season. Latest attributes
Strikers (rotated due to injuries):
View attachment 357001View attachment 357000View attachment 356999View attachment 356998

CMs:
View attachment 356997View attachment 356996View attachment 356995View attachment 356994

DMs:
View attachment 356993View attachment 356992

LM:
View attachment 356991View attachment 356989

RM:
View attachment 356988View attachment 356987

CDs:
View attachment 356986View attachment 356985View attachment 356984View attachment 356983View attachment 356982

GK:
View attachment 356981

So I think this is a great tactic at par with Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2, in that both can be used with lower sides effectively and are devastating when used with a strong team.

National Team Sidenote(Brazil): used the tactic with brazil national team for 4 years. Decent team with 5-6 outstanding players. Topped WC qualifier with record points and goals. But in WC lost 2 and drew 1, so out at group stages. Quite shocking given the tactics consistency and the fact that the teams I faced weren't really good.

But still, Great work galego25!

Last edited:
So then, it turns out that shifting the wingers to wing backs worked out very well. I made no other changes [edit: one of the CM's changed to a defensive CM without my noticing, the formation continued to work and work well so I didn't bother changing it!] other than to the corners (as I note others have). My logic for shifting the wingers to wing backs was to improve the defensive positioning, reducing the number of crosses whilst not taking too much away from the attacking threat they posed. I endured considerable success in this formation with my Wigan team, so much so that I decided a new game was needed to devote to this formation.

I started with Elgin facing up to Rangers in the old Scottish Third division and achieved a respectable 2nd place behind them. Unfortunately I lost out in the play-offs to rivals Peterhead. I will post screenshots as soon as Steam wakes up and lets me on to the **** game again!

One thing that I have learnt is that for both the talented pro's at Wigan and the not-so-talented semi-pro's at Elgin the DLF position was the absolute key to the attacking success of the formation. Solving this problem at Elgin meant I could play 16-year-old YTS players in the other striker slot and they were still able to rack up a goal a game average. John Dempster my grizzled January signing to solve this only managed a handful of goals but got an absolute boatload of assists. Moving into the second season I'm confident of securing the title if I can keep my key man fit!

Last edited:
Where can i find the update for recent transfers in FM 13 ?

works great! I started using it when I switched clubs, brought Hayes & Heading up to the Premier league from the Skrill South then moved on to Norwich and my old tactic just wasn't going to work with the players I had. I moved mid season, so I tested it a fair bit with almost no familiarity and beat Man U 2-1 in the first match, and it continues to work great. I still don't have the midfielders to dribble around and shoot but I simply changed the dribbling from "often" to "sometimes" and it is working great. Saved Norwich my first season, when I moved they were 2-2-7 and in 19th place. This tactic with some small adjustments (only to match my players abilities and deficiencies) got my team back into euro qualifications, and we actually won the Euro Cup Final vs Tottenham, and also the Super Euro Cup vs Chelsea. Had a few bad results but overall its been marvelous!

Note! - This Post Will Be Edited According To Progress

Note:
While I'm a big fan of Marcelo's 3-1-4-2 I have to admit that research is getting me newly excited towards football manager. Alot of the sliders in the game since I played FM06 have always been grey and not explained clearly enough to the community. So alot of tactics haven't been created on full knowledge and there for haven't maxed out their potential. I'm now in the process experimenting with Marcelo's tactic - not because marcelo's tactic doesn't work or doesn't work good enough, but because I feel I can improve it with my knowledge. Unfortunately I have tweaked his tactic so much that it can't go as marcelo's tactic anymore and I have to open a new thread to release this tactic if it continues the way it is currently - very successful.

However Marcelo inspired me to play with his tactic in the first place and I would never have played with such a tactic if it wasn't for the proof's that Marcelo showed us all. I warmly recommend Marcelo's tactic to anyone who play FM13 this is one of the best tactics created for all teams and I think their will be a huge agreement on that. My Barca team use a very modified version of marcelo's and is the one that's to far away to be marcelo's.

FC Nurenberg is slightly modified and still close enough to be Marcelo's. I will update what I did with Nurenberg in 2.division (Germany) - Huge success with a reshaped team on the cheap. I have changed the passing sliders for all players to mixed passing individually so slider 10. I have also changed all players except the Goalkeeper - Creative Freedom individually to slider 10. I'm thinking to make one last change for FC Nurenberg, but haven't done it yet. That is a Team setting - Tempo=20 Timewaste=0. Something I believe strongly will change Marcelo's tactic for the better.

Slider Interpretation:

Timewaste you can interpret as urgency if slider is set to 0=very urgent. Timewaste slider 20 is very patient players will slow down play much more - hold up the ball much more - sometimes at the point where you wish they wouldn't especially defensive minded players defenders and defensive midfielders losing possession in dangerous positions is obviously annoying (You'll certainly need technically gifted players allround). High Timewaste is a must in a possession based tactic and it can be quite beautiful play around opponents penalty box if tactic is right. Chances will be less but chances will be of high quality.

Tempo dictates how attack minded the passes are. A slow temo players will pass backwards more and is perfect for possession style tactics (Tiki taka) - A quick Tempo will see your players pass forward more so in general you want the individual passing sliders set to a longer style of play so the players positioned deeper will look for a player positioned high up on the pitch in a great attacking position. So the individual passing sliders is passing range how far he should look for a passing option.

Just letting you all know that I added a new manager to the game. I wanted to devote myself to this tactic 100% without switching things because I like Experimentation. The year is 2038 FC Nurenberg just got relegated from the german 1 division, so I decided to pick them. I also decided that most of the players had to go and they did I kept like 4 or 5 players out of 35-40 players. I made quite a sum of money because of 1 sale in particular a young talent that I sold to spanish outlet Real Betis for around 23 million pounds, I ofcause didn't expect I would make that sale but it happened and I could put all my focus into building the staff and the new squad.

The staff I got fully maxed out in 4 star coaches and I was pretty happy with that. The squad I decided not to go on a crazy shopping where I would buy amazing players (talents) I also decided that the squad didn't have to be full of youngsters, what I did want was players capable of playing in Marcelo's tactic example wingers that is good at dribble cross and quickness. Well because of the way I have played the game I wanted to freshen things up so I decided that all my strikers shouldn't be quick and composed like its always recommended. I wanted strong and good in the air instead with less finishing and less quickness. My initial thought towards this was if I'm getting quick normal wingers who are capable of a good cross would't it be nice if my strikers could be dangerous from the crosses in the air. My other thought was while I edited the Attacking corners - The Defensive corners - The Attacking freekicks - The Defensive freekicks These strikers will help me defend well on deadball situations. What I'm basically trying to say is, I want to put the myth in Football manager to shame that these types of players can't work in the same way as a quick poacher (I need proof on this myself).

The last thing I wanna say is my team gel level is obiously very poor, but compared to what it could be I can't be dissatisfied I'm at good understanding. I'll be perfectly honest I believe in my own training strategy to much that I will follow those principles that I have experienced during my time with Gooaall262. When thats said its simular to the author here in this thread.

Preeseason - Focus Tactical Fluidity -
Team Cohesion - Very high - 50% - Tactics Only

Preeseason
- 2 Weeks before 1st League Match - October:
Team cohesion - very high intensity - 50% - Teamwork
If Tactical Fluidity is maxed out earlier make the switch to this then!

All Season - October-June:
Team cohesion - Hard intensity - 50% - Teamwork untill (Extremly strong understanding) Then Attacking Movement

This is my training formula with any tactic and if this was a possession tactic I would simply have teamwork all season since teamwork is what you need for possession (possession is defending)

When I have watched a few games when I have reached Extremely strong understanding I will decide whether I will continue teamwork or do as the author use attacking movement which I also like. Many things depends on my possession in the games.

I am very excited to finally have started the season knowing that I bought players that weren't as good as I could have bought, and some of them so easy to get cheap because noone wanted them. It will be a real joy knowing that I saved money and still succeeded and I honestly fully expect to succeed. The goal is max points, but I do understand if that will not happen.

I will update this post with my seasonal results images and tell you more what I think about things. I'm pretty sure that this tactic are very close to being the best by itself and by editing the setpieces it will be even better in my opinion.

General Comments/Thoughts:

I've noticed something very important in the FM13 match engine. READ THIS! - Targetman strikers are a disaster and should at all cost be avoided. Their is a flaw in the match engine that annoys the **** out of me by the way - Balls in the air in front of goal is useless most often and lack alot of variety.

Also READ THIS!
After watching the 3D Engine some more I have to eat my words a little bit. What I have figured out is you'll need the correct positioning (mentality) of your tall strong man to be efficient in this role. When that is said I still think the variety level is poor in the 3D match engine, but not just with aerial balls. If using a targetman type it looks to me he works best in a support role with a poacher as a partner. In this way you'll be dangerous both on the ground for your quick poacher and in the air for your targetman. I still recommend a complete forward more who's extemely quick and strong mixed in with inteligence and creativeness.

1. Poacher (bold=Most important - Unbold can be less)- All skills are very useful and should be maxed out in the development so a striker that possess 16+
Finishing13+ - First touch - Dribbling - Offball - Composure - Anticipation - Acceleration - Agility - Balance - Pace
Also wanted skills: - Strenght 13+ - Tecnique 10+ - Decisions 12+ - Passing 10+ - Creativity 10+
Very easy to train: Poacher schedule & Complete Forward schedule
PPM
: Shot with power (I enjoy this one)

2. Or get Young targetman who already have some strenght - The poacher schedule will be enough but when fully developed/skills above maxed out, you can switch to complete forward schedule. I feel the more strenght the better but 13 is a good target. Think hard to mark/hard to battle and strong shot.

FC Barcelona Comments:
So when I started this season (still young) I wanted to play the Totaal Voetball tactic with Barcelona so I bought everything quality for that tactic. I knew in my head if it wouldn't work the way I wanted it too I could easily make the switch to Marcelo's 3142 and had that as a backup. I have tried it before but didnt have the right players for Barcelona, but now they do. 1st match after the switch Vs. Ath. Madrid (top team) 9-0 win proof is under Barcelona images below. My description of the perfect strikers in the game is above under general comments. I didn't edit the setpieces and I'm not going to. I edited the setpieces now :) so it benefits my 2 best headers and its working sweet!. Here's a screenshot of my fixtures before I started changing Marcelo's tactic - in the league only 4 goals conceeded.
View attachment 338798

I will close my progress with Barcelona in this thread because it has now become unrelated to Marcelo's tactic, but I will continue it in another thread when I'm satisfied with how my new tactic is behaving - This tactic I'm in the progress of creating is ofcause partially inspired by Marcelo since it was his tactic that I changed. Alot of individual instructions have been changed to much. Alot of sliders have been changed to much and I feel it has nothing to do with the original Marcelo tactic. Its gonna be fast its gonna be rich with goals its gonna be solid in defence its gonna be a great away tactic and even greater home tactic. I will let you know when I'm ready to share it. I will keep updating the Nurenberg progress with the slightly modified Marcelo.

FC Nurenberg Comments:
Nurenberg 6 played 6 wins - Target man strikers=Fail Blog!
Strikers working better they have become a little quicker and more composed.

Remember I reshaped the team - team gel level is at good understanding
Nurenberg
has progressed to the quarter finals of the German national cup. Big achievement being a cheap 2.division team. Nurenberg played 19 matches 16 wins 3 draws in the german 2.Division with cheap players. Look at the Nurenberg images a little below this!. I'm very happy with the progress. I will keep updating more so you can follow the progress of Nurenberg further

Upcoming Images FC Barcelona:

View attachment 340469

Upcoming Images FC Nurenberg:

Over Half a season 19/34 matches completed - screenshot
View attachment 338797

Cheers and wish me luck - I hope you will enjoy and take advantage of my thoughts and analyzis

Ps.

My Nurenberg team is having lots of success and I decided to adapt this tactic to FC Barcelona as well.

Last edited:
Very Nice! You might be right about the Target man thing, but Jumping ability I think is worth something. For example with Norwich I've been mostly using Paddy O'Conner, some Irish regen iirc.

View attachment 340404

He is considered the front runner for English Player of the Year at this point, but mostly because my even better striker, Gilberto Carlos (a regen that plays alongside Neymar on the Brazil team) had a 2 month injury. The DLF attributes are highlighted because that is the position I always play him at. I changed the corner instructions slightly so that Gilberto (corner, cross ratings of 18) passes it to Paddy, it works great. Not to mention in regular play I have a left footed player on the right, and a right footed player on the left, they both have great ability at long shots as well.

Anyways, I just came on here to say how awesome this is again, just beat Barcelona in the champions league, after losing away 3-0 came back and absolutely dominated them at home.

View attachment 340403

Its an amazing tactic. Actually all of my teams are in first place at the moment. We already won the Capitol One Cup, for the 2nd time in a row. Still alive in champions league and the FA Cup, and first in the Barclays. Reserve team and Youth team are first place and have already qualified as well. Its a monster tactic! I made 2 other tactics similar to it as well, you might want to add or just remake yourself. One just moves the DLF to another CM with attack duty, same as the others. The other one moves one of the CM back to DMC, same as the other defensive mid. Both work about equally, I just made it for injuries or slumps in performances really, but they work quite well also.

Last edited:
POST UPDATED

Barcelona progress will be stopped in this thread from now on due to a dramatic change in the Marcelo tactic it has become unrelated to the original Marcelo tactic. I will keep updating any FC Nurenberg progress and anything I find interesting to share with you.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you are not interested :)

Cheers Mates - Have a beautiful day today tomorrow and the rest of your life!

Just a quick update: if anyone wants to use this tactic and play with an attacking midfielder, just push the right striker to the AMCR position, to look like this:

I played a few games with this formation and the tactic was as strong as always, and the AMCR play was very good.

BTW, I have tried some of the other tactics posted in this forum recently, but I always end up coming back to this one. I'm still using the original (and in some games the original with the AMCR tweak) and, at least for me, it's been nothing but fun.

All the best to Jesaustralia, Mr Langvatn and others that keep this part of the forum going.

cheers