Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K
Martin Jol is apparently the favourite to take over at the moment.

Was because Nicky Shorey left the club, I know how he feels.

Grow up? My own opinion.. I didn't ask for yours..

I don't care.. I don't like McClaren, don't go off topic, you're a admin or mod or whatever, you should know.

Nobody is off-topic, you said McClaren was a ****, he may a terrible international manager, but is definitely one of the best at changing the fortunes of clubs like Villa so you'd be lucky to get somebody like him. Unfortunately he's just signed for Wolfsberg, who are arguably better than Villa so I doubt he'd consider leaving ;)

I hope you get Paul Ince or John Barnes. You certainly won't be competing for a few years now.

i think it will be bob bradley the next manager and if it is i think he will sign his son aswell as a kind of replacement for milner.

How are they in that much debt and yet can afford to give their shirt sponsorship to a chartiy? I would be very suprised if it is that much given they dont seem to spend much money and have been in the Europa League for the last few years under O'Neill.

I also ignored that you said Milner is an ambitious manager. ;) Not sure which way roud you meant it. About O'Neill or Milner.
i know, thats what i thought, but godcubed has comfirmed its 70 million. and when you consider that lerner bought the club entirely with own money (rather than leveraged buyout like two other sets of american owners), you can see why hes that prudent. im not saying hes blameless but i can see his standpoint. im sure there is more to come

I suspect a long season for Villa.

Wanted him at L'Pool aswell. Shame.

They say its because of the James Milner transfer, but what if thats only part of the reason? The timing is very odd, so it makes sense that the reason for his resignation is the transfer of James Milner. However what if this is the right timing for Martin O'Neill because of another job? What if he's giving himself a year to prepare himself for another job? Which job ? Manchester United. I predict that at the end of this season, as long as Manchester United win the Premier League, that Fergie will retire and Martin O'Neill will take over. What if he's giving himself a year to understand the situation at Man Utd with regards to the ownership, the players, the facilities, and any future transfer targets he may have? I believe that the job at Man Utd isn't something a manager can just walk into, I think they have to prepare themselves for what is in many respects the biggest club job in the world, they have to follow Fergie as the manager of Man Utd, they will always be compared to him. Yes I think Martin O'Neill will have a rest and a holiday but I also think he will be preparing for his next challenge.

i know, thats what i thought, but godcubed has comfirmed its 70 million. and when you consider that lerner bought the club entirely with own money (rather than leveraged buyout like two other sets of american owners), you can see why hes that prudent. im not saying hes blameless but i can see his standpoint. im sure there is more to come

At least last time I saw it it was hovering around the 70 mil mark.

At the moment, I'm not interested by speculation over why he resigned. Fact is, he did. What I want to know is who we're going to sign.

I jumped at this hoping it was a story "/ i like Villa, and this is not good for them! Loosing both Milner and O'Neil in the same week!! :(

He is probably the third/fourth best manager in prem after Moyes, Ferguson & Hodgsen. Big loss for villa. Must be because of lack of funds and future sale of Milner

Wenger? Ancelotti? Redknapp?

Anyway, i agree it's a big loss, i'm expecting Bilic to take over personally, he seems ideal. I'd be surprised if Bradley came to England, despite the 'American Connection'

not interested in who called who what. but remeber this a forum where opinions are debated, challenged and discussed. so if someone has a (ridiculous) opinion about maclaren being a ****, they should realise people will debate that opinion

schteve wouldnt be interested anyway since he is at an arguably better club

Summer Transfers 2010

In:
None

Out:
None

January 2010 Transfers

In:
None

Out:
Craig Gardner (£3million, Birmingham City)
Shane Thomas Lowry (loan, Leeds United)
Nicky Shorey (loan, Fulham)

Summer Transfers 2009

In:
Stewart Downing (£12m, Middlesbrough)
Fabian Delph (undisclosed, Leeds United)
Habib Beye (undisclosed, Newcastle United)
Stephen Warnock (undisclosed, Blackburn Rovers)

Out:
Gareth Barry (£12m, Manchester City)
Stuart Taylor (undisclosed, Manchester City)
Martin Laursen (retired)
Zatyiah Knight (undisclosed, Bolton)

January 2009 Transfers

In:
Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey (£3.5m, Wigan)

Out:
None

Summer 2008 Transfers

In:
Curtis Eugene Davies (Curtis Davies)
Steve Sidwell (£5m, Chelsea)
Bradley Howard Friedel (undisclosed, Blackburn)
Nicky Shorey (£3m, Reading)
Luke Paul Young (£6m, Middlesbrough)
Carlos Javier Cuéllar Jiménez (£7.8m, Rangers)
James Milner (£12.5m, Newcastle)

Out:
Luke Isaac Moore (£3m, West Brom)
Thomas Løvendahl Sørensen (released)
Olof Mellberg (free, Juventus)
Patrick Berger (free, Sparta Prague)
Shaun Maloney (£2.5m, Celtic)

January 2008 Transfers

In:
Wayne Neville Anthony Routledge (£1.5m, Tottenham)

Out:
Zoltán Stieber (loan, Yeovil)
Stephen O'Halloran (loan, Southampton)
Gary Cahill (£5m, Bolton)

Summer 2007 Transfers

In:
None

Out:
None

January 2007 Transfers

In:
Shaun Maloney (Celtic, £1m)
Phillip Anthony Bardsley (Manchester United, loan)
John Alieu Carew (Lyon, swap deal for Milan Baros)
Ashley Simon Young (Watford, £9.65m)

Out:
Peter Whittingham (Cardiff, £350,000)
Eric Djemba-Djemba (Burnley, loan)
Milan Baros (Lyon, swap deal for John Carew)
Lee Hendrie (Stoke, loan)

Summer 2006 Transfers

In:
Stiliyan Petrov (Celtic, undisclosed))

Out:
James Milner (Newcastle United, loan return)
Danny Phillips (West Bromwich Albion, £700,000)

He's had so much money to spend in the past and great financial backing from Lerner that I think he is being a bit selfish, O'Neill is doing a Brian Clough here maybe, always thought he had a good relationship with Lerner though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly can't see Milner staying now :P. Martin O'Neill has done a very good job there considering the shambles David O'Leary left them in

Bilic I would welcome with open arms to Villa. We have about as solid a defence outside of a top 4 side that you're going to get, we just need a little attacking variation

Also, agree with Jack above. Looks a bit like O'Neill tried to force an issue and Lerner wouldn't have it.

This is a huge, huge loss to Villa, O'neill is a quality manager. He threatened to leave a few months ago stating he would go if any attempt to sell Ashley Young was made. But it seems that Young isn't the catalyst, but James Milner may be.

Oh my god shocking, cant believe it! Hes been building that team for ages must be sad for him to have to resign.

it could be due to anything, most likely the transfer situation but it could be family issues yet again but i hope its not that

Back