Max's Set of Defensive Tactics

Max

Reaction score
Hey, well this is my first time uploading a tactic on here. I've been working on lots of different tactics for a while with different teams, in all different divisions. I've finally came to a conclusion with a good solid tactic, made with Brighton in the 1st season. Brighton were predicted around mid-table, and currently after 30 games I'm in position.

I've had some really good results with this tactic, such as beating Norwich 1-0 away from home, beating Huddersfield 2-1 at home and beating Millwall 1-0 at home and many more.
This contains 3 sets of tactics, a 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2, and a 4-3-1-2, this is for against teams who play well vs 4-4-2 formations. The 4-1-3-2 is best used for away games and the 4-3-1-2 is best for home games.

As with every tactic, each position needs certain attributes for players..

The 4-4-2:

Goalkeeper
Key stats:
One-on-one's
Reflexes
Concentration

Left Back (Wing Back - Mentality depends on your player)
Key stats:
Concentration
Tackling
Composure
Crossing

Right Back (Wing Back - Mentality depends on your player)
Key stats:
Same as left back

Centre backs (Central Defender - Defend)
Key stats:
Concentration
Marking
Physical stats more than 12 is preferred really

Left Midfielders and Right Midfielders (Winger - Attack)
Key stats:[/B
Dribbling
Crossing
Pace and Acceleration (Mainly for counter attacks)

Centre Midfielder - MCL (Deep lying playmaker - Support)
Key stats:
Creativity
Bravery
Work Rate
Passing

Centre Midfielder - MCR (Box-to-box midfielder - Support)
Key stats:
Work Rate
Creativity
All physical stats 12+ helps.
Passing
Technique

Striker - FCL (Poacher - Attack)
Key stats:
Anticipation
Finishing
Composure
Heading
Good pace helps.
/B]

Striker - FCR (Deep Lying Forward - Support)
Key stats:
Strength
Heading
Jumping
Finishing
Off the ball

Getting these stats will help your players a lot.

The 4-1-3-2:

Goalkeeper
Key stats:
Same as before

Left Back
Key stats:
Same as before

Right Back
Key stats:
Same as before

Centre backs
Key stats:
Same as before

Defensive Midfielder (Deep Lying Playmaker/Anchorman) (This depends on the player)
Key stats:
Bravery (Both)
Tackling (Both)
Marking (More for the Anchorman)
Creativity (More for the D.L.P)
Positioning (Both)
Stamina (Both)

Centre Midfielder (Box-to-box midfielder/Ball Winning Midfielder) (Depends on player)
Key stats:
Work Rate (More for B-T-B midfielder)
Physical stats 13/14+ (Both, more strength for B.W.M)
Jumping (B.W.M)
Creativity (B-T-B)
Passing (Both)

Left and Right Midfielders
Key stats:
Same as before

Strikers (FCL and FCR)
Key stats:
[/U]
Same as before

The 4-3-1-2:

Goalkeeper
Key stats:

Same as before

Left and Right Backs
Key stats:
Same as before

Centre Backs
Key stats:
Same as before

Left and Right Midfielders
Key stats:
Same as before

Centre Midfielders (Box-to-box midfielder)
Key stats:
Good physical stats above 12
Creativity
Work rate
Tackling

Attacking Midfielder (Attacking Midfielder - Support)
Key stats:
Creativity
Passing
Finishing
Flair
Off the ball

So that's the tactics done. Now for the tactical help in game...

When leading either at home or away no matter what the circumstances switch to 'Contain'.

If losing home or away switch to 'Standard'. If this doesn't work swap formations to the 4-3-1-2 Home.

Against bigger sides with good goalscorers and skillfull players, Arsenal for example, switch to the 4-1-3-2 Away formation and play with 'Contain'. (This worked for me against Southampton)

For teams with a 5 man defence or one of the best defences in the league but not great infront of goal, switch to the 4-3-1-2 Away

I'd advise using the 4-4-2 in any game in England unless your backroom advice says the opposition play well vs a 4-4-2 formation.

I hope you all give it a bash and give me feedback whether positive or negative. I will be looking to improve this and it is in 'Beta stage'

Please give it atleast 5-6 games for it to work. This won't work instantly, as most tactics won't.

Table and results. Enjoy :)

Last edited:
GREAT THREAD :)
I never use defensive formations and tactics.. But your making me want to try it! :)

GREAT THREAD :)
I never use defensive formations and tactics.. But your making me want to try it! :)
Lol cheers mate. Took a long time to type all that, hopefully it was worth it

Intresting Tactics there, ill give it ago later with a hard team like san marino

Intresting Tactics there, ill give it ago later with a hard team like san marino
Nice, haven't tried them with a top team yet. Might give them a go with Liverpool.

Nice thread, I'll give them a go mate.

I'm just starting a "journeyman" career in East Europe, beginning in the Romanian second division, so think these may come in useful.

I'm using your Away 4-1-3-2 with my Inter Team, haven't played a full match yet, will report with feedback =]

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

And just to let you know,even though these are defensive, I'm happy with them, I've played 3 games, 1-0 2-0 ans 2-0.. Before i started using them i was conceding a lot and not doing too well.. They've had a quick impact =]

i read mate but which ones do you highly recommend

I'm using your Away 4-1-3-2 with my Inter Team, haven't played a full match yet, will report with feedback =]

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

And just to let you know,even though these are defensive, I'm happy with them, I've played 3 games, 1-0 2-0 ans 2-0.. Before i started using them i was conceding a lot and not doing too well.. They've had a quick impact =]
Good to hear mate ^^)

& Joe, well, it depends on the situation of the game and your opposition. I strongly recommend using the 4-4-2 away and home unless the opposition plays well against a 4-4-2 formation, then choose 4-1-3-2 if your away from home and 4-3-1-2 if your at home. Hope that helped

Last edited:
helped alot, will give them a go with udinese and get back to you

helped alot, will give them a go with udinese and get back to you
Cheers Joe.

Also guys, it would be great if you can tell me how many clean sheets your getting. Will help me a lot as if it's getting clean sheets it's doing it's job as a defensive tactic in the style of Bolton a few years back under Sam Allardyce. The hit and run technique

Cheers Joe.

Also guys, it would be great if you can tell me how many clean sheets your getting. Will help me a lot as if it's getting clean sheets it's doing it's job as a defensive tactic in the style of Bolton a few years back under Sam Allardyce. The hit and run technique

1-0
2-0
1-0
2-0
1-0
1-0
1-0
2-1... Not scoring much , but it's doing a great job being a defensive tactic..

1-0
2-0
1-0
2-0
1-0
1-0
1-0
2-1... Not scoring much , but it's doing a great job being a defensive tactic..
Looks like it's doing the job for you :) Yeah, not scoring as a much is a downside but the tactic is very much hit and run and is consistent as you can see from your results, only conceding 1 goal in 7 games :)

Drew 0-0 with Juve Away and beat roma 4-1 , strange result against roma, they scored an absolute cracker from 30yards out so there's not tactic stopping that!!

Looks good Max, I will try it out for sure. :D

Drew 0-0 with Juve Away and beat roma 4-1 , strange result against roma, they scored an absolute cracker from 30yards out so there's not tactic stopping that!!
Good results there, impressive scoring vs Roma :)

And cheers Danny :D