Status
Not open for further replies.
this was very helpful but i am still confused because i play with a ball playing defender as a stopper and a limited defender as a cover. i tend to score a lot of goals but as well as concede a lot i.e. i scored 4 against burnely and burnley scored 3 back at me. its a simple 442 with falt back, wide midfielders, target man and a poacher and mostly i counter attack but then i change the mentality to attack after the second half. is it because of the ball playing defender that i am conceding a lot of goals.
i personally wouldn't use a ball playing defender away from home if that's what your doing, you will need to be more disciplined with your team away.

if you're having the same problem at home aswell, i would change the ball playing defenders role to just central defender (default one), and see how you get on with that.

if you have any other problems feel free to ask.

I plan to update this guide this summer when I have free time. Sorry about no updates for ages, exams have held me back sadly, thanks for you're patience.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I've decided most of the older requests on this thread, probably aren't wanted anymore/whoever requested them aren't active anymore (Paul **** for example).

so, i'll be taking new requests, and will be doing them asap.

Hi Max,

Firstly, thanks for a very useful guide. I've been struggling badly with tactics for FM2010 and I'm starting to see a few chinks of light now!

If you're taking requests again - how about talking me through the fundementals of the 4-3-3 (with one central striker and two inside forwards)?

I'm playing as Marseille but my team is horribly inconsistent - we just can't put a run of wins together and struggle badly against the smallest teams in particular - the game seems to drift by without any action, regardless of how attacking I play!

I use Niang as my advanced forward, flanked by Angel Di Maria and Baky Kone or Ben Arfa. In midfield I sometimes use M'Bia as a holding player and sometimes go with an attacking three of Lucho Gonzalez, Benoit Cheyrou and Rafeal Van De Vaart (but all with a support function).

Any help would be seriously appreciated as my frustration levels are growing!

Hi Max,

Firstly, thanks for a very useful guide. I've been struggling badly with tactics for FM2010 and I'm starting to see a few chinks of light now!

If you're taking requests again - how about talking me through the fundementals of the 4-3-3 (with one central striker and two inside forwards)?

I'm playing as Marseille but my team is horribly inconsistent - we just can't put a run of wins together and struggle badly against the smallest teams in particular - the game seems to drift by without any action, regardless of how attacking I play!

I use Niang as my advanced forward, flanked by Angel Di Maria and Baky Kone or Ben Arfa. In midfield I sometimes use M'Bia as a holding player and sometimes go with an attacking three of Lucho Gonzalez, Benoit Cheyrou and Rafeal Van De Vaart (but all with a support function).

Any help would be seriously appreciated as my frustration levels are growing!
It seems maybe the opposition have found out tactically, try something along these lines, with a 4-3-3 but the 4-5-1 style of it, with the holding DM, two CM's, two wingers (in your case inside forwards), and the lone striker.

Full backs - seeing as you will have those wingers most likely cutting in, it's important for your team to have some natural width, which will be given to you by your full backs. Set your full backs to support, therefore they are there to supply an important pass/cross when needed.

Centre backs - they don't need to do anything special, just let them do their jobs as limited defenders, on defend. They can simply pass the ball out wide to the full backs or use the short option of your holding DM which will gradually get the ball forward and avoid any silly mistakes. Think of your DM as your safety net of the team, and therefore needs good concentration, tackling, marking etc.

Defensive Midfielder - as i just said, he's really important for you, because when you have the ball forward, its most likely your full backs will push up to support, along with your centre midfielders, so you must be careful of an opposition counter attack. Put your DM as an anchor man, defend.

Centre midfielders - Seeing as your team seems to be quite attacking, I'd put these as box-to-box midfielders - this way, you'll have more cover defensively as they will track back, and you'll have more support attacking wise which could see you overload the opposition defence with your striker hopefully taking away 1 or 2 markers, your wingers going onto the centre backs aswell because they are cutting in, and then that gives your centre midfielders a bit of freedom in the middle when attacking the opposition defence.

It's also likely that the opposition full backs will follow your inside cutting wingers which leaves space for your full backs to put in a great cross into a crowded box for a good goal scoring opportunity.

Wingers (inside forwards) - these guys are important, because they really have the ability to screw up the oppositions defence. If they have the right attributes like dribbling and off the ball and acceleration, they will pull full backs all over the place and cause real confusion in the box, which could give your strikers/centre midfielders the opportunity to score.

if the opposition decide to ignore your wingers and focus on the runners from midfield and the lone striker, they will probably be punished even more if the quality is there and there will be enough space for your wingers to pick up speed and get a shot in at goal.

therefore, wingers are really quite important in this.

Lone striker - Now, this depends on what type of player your striker is. You could have him in a variety on roles, for example, poacher, deep lying forward, complete forward, advanced forward, or even target man (support) as your wingers/centre midfielders will be there to support him and for him to lay off the ball to them.

personally, from personal experience, if your player is good enough complete forward can be good enough, but only if he's world class tbh (villa, rooney etc), but poacher is a very good option to use. as you have Niang, i think poacher/advanced forward would be good for him.

if you need anymore help, feel free to ask, because that only took about 10 minutes to type up :)

know iam being lazy but if you could put them 4-4-2 tactics to downolad would be great

know iam being lazy but if you could put them 4-4-2 tactics to downolad would be great
all the information you need is in that OP for 4-4-2.

don't be lazy, i've put in all the effort, won't hurt you to make a tactic which has pretty much been written down for you.

Sometimes or most of the time my team does really well , i can beat most teams and basically know the way to beat chelsea man utd liverpool bla bla , but when i play weaker teams my team is always complacent and let in goals late and struggle to make chances and spend most of the game on the back foot , ive heard somewhere that against more defensive teams playing with a deeper backline works better any tips max greatly appreciated i use 451 , 41212 , 442 , have pretty much a dream team but they are very young ..

alright max ? basically i want you to talk me through on how to get the best out of my formation and players (see screenie)

It seems maybe the opposition have found out tactically, try something along these lines, with a 4-3-3 but the 4-5-1 style of it, with the holding DM, two CM's, two wingers (in your case inside forwards), and the lone striker.

Full backs - seeing as you will have those wingers most likely cutting in, it's important for your team to have some natural width, which will be given to you by your full backs. Set your full backs to support, therefore they are there to supply an important pass/cross when needed.

Centre backs - they don't need to do anything special, just let them do their jobs as limited defenders, on defend. They can simply pass the ball out wide to the full backs or use the short option of your holding DM which will gradually get the ball forward and avoid any silly mistakes. Think of your DM as your safety net of the team, and therefore needs good concentration, tackling, marking etc.

Defensive Midfielder - as i just said, he's really important for you, because when you have the ball forward, its most likely your full backs will push up to support, along with your centre midfielders, so you must be careful of an opposition counter attack. Put your DM as an anchor man, defend.

Centre midfielders - Seeing as your team seems to be quite attacking, I'd put these as box-to-box midfielders - this way, you'll have more cover defensively as they will track back, and you'll have more support attacking wise which could see you overload the opposition defence with your striker hopefully taking away 1 or 2 markers, your wingers going onto the centre backs aswell because they are cutting in, and then that gives your centre midfielders a bit of freedom in the middle when attacking the opposition defence.

It's also likely that the opposition full backs will follow your inside cutting wingers which leaves space for your full backs to put in a great cross into a crowded box for a good goal scoring opportunity.

Wingers (inside forwards) - these guys are important, because they really have the ability to screw up the oppositions defence. If they have the right attributes like dribbling and off the ball and acceleration, they will pull full backs all over the place and cause real confusion in the box, which could give your strikers/centre midfielders the opportunity to score.

if the opposition decide to ignore your wingers and focus on the runners from midfield and the lone striker, they will probably be punished even more if the quality is there and there will be enough space for your wingers to pick up speed and get a shot in at goal.

therefore, wingers are really quite important in this.

Lone striker - Now, this depends on what type of player your striker is. You could have him in a variety on roles, for example, poacher, deep lying forward, complete forward, advanced forward, or even target man (support) as your wingers/centre midfielders will be there to support him and for him to lay off the ball to them.

personally, from personal experience, if your player is good enough complete forward can be good enough, but only if he's world class tbh (villa, rooney etc), but poacher is a very good option to use. as you have Niang, i think poacher/advanced forward would be good for him.

if you need anymore help, feel free to ask, because that only took about 10 minutes to type up :)

Thanks for all of that Max - I think I'm already doing a lot of the things that you are suggesting (full backs set to support etc.), but the other tips are really interesting.

I would like to purchase a top level anchorman because I feel M'Bia isn't quite up to it. That'll have to wait until I have some more funds though, unfortunately.

I'd really value some advice as to the team settings that you think I should employ with this system.

Currently I tend to play 'fluid', with short passes (unless the opposition pitch is long). I leave the pressing as default, play with slightly wide width, normal defensive line (unless opponent has quick forwards and then I play deeper) and normal or slightly quick tempo.

Niang plays centrally as a complete forward, then my wingers play as inside forwards, swapping position with each other. My middle three are two advanced playmakers and a deep lying playmaker. The CBs are a cover and a stopper.

I tend to set up individual player instructions and then not change them from game to game.

Can you suggest anything with the above that doesn't seem to be set up correctly?

cheers buddy when is your next udate anyway on your story.
also i would still like you to comment max :)

Sometimes or most of the time my team does really well , i can beat most teams and basically know the way to beat chelsea man utd liverpool bla bla , but when i play weaker teams my team is always complacent and let in goals late and struggle to make chances and spend most of the game on the back foot , ive heard somewhere that against more defensive teams playing with a deeper backline works better any tips max greatly appreciated i use 451 , 41212 , 442 , have pretty much a dream team but they are very young ..
use touchline shouts more often mate. such as, play wider, work the ball into the box, etc.

these will tend to make the opposition stretch more and more gaps will open up for your team to grab a goal.

Thanks for all of that Max - I think I'm already doing a lot of the things that you are suggesting (full backs set to support etc.), but the other tips are really interesting.

I would like to purchase a top level anchorman because I feel M'Bia isn't quite up to it. That'll have to wait until I have some more funds though, unfortunately.

I'd really value some advice as to the team settings that you think I should employ with this system.

Currently I tend to play 'fluid', with short passes (unless the opposition pitch is long). I leave the pressing as default, play with slightly wide width, normal defensive line (unless opponent has quick forwards and then I play deeper) and normal or slightly quick tempo.

Niang plays centrally as a complete forward, then my wingers play as inside forwards, swapping position with each other. My middle three are two advanced playmakers and a deep lying playmaker. The CBs are a cover and a stopper.

I tend to set up individual player instructions and then not change them from game to game.

Can you suggest anything with the above that doesn't seem to be set up correctly?
if you're not managing to create anything, a change of philosophy can be just what is needed. change it to rigid for a while, let your players get used to your system more and when you feel your playing a lot better, its your choice whether to give them more freedom or to let them carry on the way they are at that point in time.

i find individual instructions are a waste of time, and therefore i never apply them. the default instructions on each role (except long shots etc which will vary on your players ability) are good enough for any of your players i think.

hia max can you talk me through the formation that i posted on page 3

Cheers mate you inspired me to do my first ever tactic.(which is waiting to get approved)
Don't worry i did post a sign of recognition to you and linked your thread.:)

hia max can you talk me through the formation that i posted on page 3
hi daz,

i'm pretty tired now tbh as i've been out most of the day and need to chill out, i'll try to have a look at what you're team is like tomorrow etc if i've got time.

until then, i'd use the link provided to you on page3 by undertheray (i dont mind about linking by the way, as long as people are helped i'm not bothered)

solid guide max you're a great assett to this forum
Thankyou :$

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

How do you think I could imrove this wonder tactic. As you are great at this i want to be unbeatable with any team. This is it: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=2717
i'll play a few games with it tomorrow mate.

by the look of your results though, i dont think it needs much improving, good job!

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

alright max ? basically i want you to talk me through on how to get the best out of my formation and players (see screenie)
i think sticking to that formation would be good.

make Dzeko a target man attack, and the two strikers beside him poachers. have your DM as an anchor man, your AM as an advanced player/inside forward, and your two CM's as box-to-box midfielders.

should do the trick hopefully.

Cheers for the advice max only problem is i use classic style , but it just means i take ur advice and play wider , more direct , quicker tempo maybe , once again thanks a lot ill give a try later on and see how it goes

Max ----- "use touchline shouts more often mate. such as, play wider, work the ball into the box, etc ,

these will tend to make the opposition stretch more and more gaps will open up for your team to grab a goal. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.