Meireles explains Chelsea switch

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 104
  • Views Views 6K
Way too light weight for the middle, never seen him tackle.

Thats ok, he is now playing for a club that is very physical so it will only make him raise this part of his game. Torres was injured nearly everyweek and started stepping away from challenged before he joined Chelsea but now he dosen't and has never been injured as of yet.

Thats ok, he is now playing for a club that is very physical so it will only make him raise this part of his game. Torres was injured nearly everyweek and started stepping away from challenged before he joined Chelsea but now he dosen't and has never been injured as of yet.

He scored more when he got injured :(

and then why was he sold....

He was sold because Liverpool didnt need him and Dalglish has his own way, its almost as if Hodgson was never manager now days. He is a fantastic footballer without a doubt and for a first season in the PL he did very well.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Ineffectively for the most part - sold in the end.

For a first season in the PL he was very impressive.

He was sold because Liverpool didnt need him and Dalglish has his own way, its almost as if Hodgson was never manager now days. He is a fantastic footballer without a doubt and for a first season in the PL he did very well.

Liverpool didn't need him because he couldn't perform well enough in the role they needed him to. Good player but Liverpool didn't really need him

Liverpool didn't need him because he couldn't perform well enough in the role they needed him to. Good player but Liverpool didn't really need him

I dont think thats fair at all, i think he had a very good first season in what is a very tough league to play in.

I dont think thats fair at all, i think he had a very good first season in what is a very tough league to play in.

may not be fair but it's true otherwise Liverpool wouldn't have let him go so easily. He did alright but not outstandingly well to make him indispensable.

If you had watched him regularly, which by your comments I'm guessing you did not, you would see he was not good week in week out, backed out of challenges and rarely carried out his defensive duties effectively [largely because of his stand off nature.]

He had a fantastic 3 months or so, nothing else.

Let's not kid ourselves, it wasn't a fantastic season. It was a decent one when you factor into account it was his first. For the role he wanted to be played in, he constantly backed out of challenges and exposed his partners. The worst part of it, however, seemed to be his lapses in concentration, which seemed to happen at least once or twice per match. Still, he improved, and maybe AVB can get the best out of him.

may not be fair but it's true otherwise Liverpool wouldn't have let him go so easily. He did alright but not outstandingly well to make him indispensable.

Dalglish let him go because he has his own ideas which is fair enough. Meireles is not a Dalglish player and Dalglish likes his Brits.

If you had watched him regularly, which by your comments I'm guessing you did not, you would see he was not good week in week out, backed out of challenges and rarely carried out his defensive duties effectively [largely because of his stand off nature.]

He had a fantastic 3 months or so, nothing else.

His not naturaly a defensive minded player so thats irrelivent, We are looking for someone who will take the weight off Lampards shoulders and Meireles can do that very well.

It's irrelevant? If he is going to be in the middle of the park he can't back out of tackles and often let players roam free.

Dalglish let him go because he has his own ideas which is fair enough. Meireles is not a Dalglish player and Dalglish likes his Brits.

His not naturaly a defensive minded player so thats irrelivent, We are looking for someone who will take the weight off Lampards shoulders and Meireles can do that very well.

He was not needed by Dalglish it's really as simple as that. Oh and about the Brits thing Coates, Enrique, Doni and Suarez all aren't brits. about 50% of his transfers have been brits so he doesn't seem to have any preference really

It's irrelevant? If he is going to be in the middle of the park he can't back out of tackles and often let players roam free.

Like i say i believe he has been bought in to take some ov the weight off Lampards shoulders and if thats the case is Lampard known for his tackling??No. Even if thats not the case playing for a strong physical side like Chelsea he will have no choice and will learn to get stuck in.

Who wants to be in Anfield when you can be in Fulham. Anfield isn't exactly a beautiful place in Liverpool :)

Also better to use 12 million on Meireles than pay overprice for Modric. We succeeded in making Modric uncomfortable, which could help the Gunners. At least Arsenal has more gunpowder when they are fighting Tottenham, as long as they can stay injury free!

Last edited:
You don't get it, I doubt he has the capacity to tackle affectively for the ball, if Chelsea are a 'physical side' or not.

Yeah but the middle of the park isnt his normal position.Thats why its irrelevent.He plays further forward in an area where he wouldnt normally be comitting to challenges and thats why he doesnt normally do it.Lampard does the same and thats why he would fit in and be able to replace the aging lampard

Back