Meireles explains Chelsea switch

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 104
  • Views Views 6K
he'll be playing CL football this season too, still currently a step up

short term; yes, maybe. long term; probably not.

Had to have a little laugh to myself at all the outsiders who think they know Dalglish's transfer policy, most Liverpool fans don't know it, so please, explain how you non-Liverpool fans know our managers transfer policy?

EDIT: Jamie, I don't get your point about the Arsenal game, Suarez & Mereiles came on as soon as Frimpong was sent off, so you can't say we didn't create anything against 10 men until those 2 came on, because they came on as soon as they went down to 10 men. So, your point is kinda weak.

Had to have a little laugh to myself at all the outsiders who think they know Dalglish's transfer policy, most Liverpool fans don't know it, so please, explain how you non-Liverpool fans know our managers transfer policy?

EDIT: Jamie, I don't get your point about the Arsenal game, Suarez & Mereiles came on as soon as Frimpong was sent off, so you can't say we didn't create anything against 10 men until those 2 came on, because they came on as soon as they went down to 10 men. So, your point is kinda weak.

Sorry, I meant Liverpool created not that much before the pair came on. It was a flimsy point anyway as fans will argue it changed because Frimpong got sent off...

Was never a solid point to begin with, but from where I was sitting when Meireles and Suarez came on Liverpool's attack and build up was alot less direct and had some good on-the-ground central flow to it. You could argue LFC would have scored even without them 2 coming on but I think it's not likely. All I meant to say was Suarez and Meireles changed that game's dynamic when they were subbed on, against 10 men or not. I either cleared that point up or made it cloudier, not sure.

Sorry, I meant Liverpool created not that much before the pair came on. It was a flimsy point anyway as fans will argue it changed because Frimpong got sent off...

Was never a solid point to begin with, but from where I was sitting when Meireles and Suarez came on Liverpool's attack and build up was alot less direct and had some good on-the-ground central flow to it. You could argue LFC would have scored even without them 2 coming on but I think it's not likely. All I meant to say was Suarez and Meireles changed that game's dynamic when they were subbed on, against 10 men or not. I either cleared that point up or made it cloudier, not sure.

I'd say that was more down to the fact that Carroll had gone off that our play was less direct, as it's been a theme to whenever he's played this year, we have a tendency to just lump it up to him, and even when the balls out wide, he stands on the edge of the area and moans when he doesn't get the ball. He's 6ft odd, and I haven't seen him attack the ball in the box this season.

Anyway, I'm waffling here, I get what you're saying, but it was a combination of things, as we looked very good against Bolton (no Mereiles) and funnily enough, Carroll didn't start that game either.

Didn't AVB essentially force him to move from Porto in the first place and drop him from the side?

In this particular discussion, what difference does it make whether you're a Liverpool fan or not?

Didn't AVB essentially force him to move from Porto in the first place and drop him from the side?

Not entirely true :) he wanted him to stay but Moutinho had just been brought in. AVB figured they were incompatible with each other..

What makes you so sure Chelsea wont stay a better club than Liverpool?? I see no evidence that proves Liverpool will overtake Chelsea and i fail to see your point. Its a step up and would have been a step up for the last 8years.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

AVB sold him to raise the cash for Moutinho, didnt really want to sell him but didnt have much choice. The Porto side had gone abit stale and needed a few of the regular lads out and some new additions.

What makes you so sure Chelsea wont stay a better club than Liverpool?? I see no evidence that proves Liverpool will overtake Chelsea and i fail to see your point. Its a step up and would have been a step up for the last 8years.

I'm a Liverpool fan, I'm hardly going to say you're going to stay a better club. We'll see this season, I firmly believe we can finish above you. Also, i'd say you've been the better club for the last 4 or 5 years (and that might be pushing it), not the last 8. You've done well domestically, but up until recently, we've out-performed you in Europe.

I'm a Liverpool fan, I'm hardly going to say you're going to stay a better club. We'll see this season, I firmly believe we can finish above you. Also, i'd say you've been the better club for the last 4 or 5 years (and that might be pushing it), not the last 8. You've done well domestically, but up until recently, we've out-performed you in Europe.

Its not just about Europe mate, since 2003 Chelsea have been the better side without any question. You can believe you may finish above us thats fine but it makes me laugh how much people have all of a sudden started writting off Chelsea.

Its not just about Europe mate, since 2003 Chelsea have been the better side without any question. You can believe you may finish above us thats fine but it makes me laugh how much people have all of a sudden started writting off Chelsea.

& it's not just about domestic success.

& I'm not writing you off, I'm bigging us up, because I think we look THAT much better than we have in past seasons.

with the exception of the 2008/2009 season when Liverpool finished second ;)

Indeed, thanks to massive help from Torres and Yossi lol

arguably the 2004/2005 season when they won the champs league (and beat Chelsea in it) but were pretty fail domestically (they finish 5th that year?)

arguably the 2004/2005 season when they won the champs league (and beat Chelsea in it) but were pretty fail domestically (they finish 5th that year?)

Yeah, we finished 5th.

2007, we reached the champions league final again. Beating Chelsea in the semi's. AGAIN.

Im not sure where Pool finished that year but Chelsea won the League and Carling Cup double breaking all sorts of records along the way so i think it was a pretty good season.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Yeah, we finished 5th.

2007, we reached the champions league final again. Beating Chelsea in the semi's. AGAIN.

Yes you have won one CL in them 8 years but what else have you done?? You got beat in a final which we have also and we have been in the competition every year since.

Im not sure where Pool finished that year but Chelsea won the League and Carling Cup double breaking all sorts of records along the way so i think it was a pretty good season.

We finished 5th, behind Everton. However, we won the Champions League after probably the greatest final ever. League cup means very little, and I'd rather win the Champions League than the League. Also, wasn't it the first year where you'd really flashed the cash?

Like I said, I'd say you've been better for 4 or 5 years. Not 8.

We finished 5th, behind Everton. However, we won the Champions League after probably the greatest final ever. League cup means very little, and I'd rather win the Champions League than the League. Also, wasn't it the first year where you'd really flashed the cash?

I could say we have been more successfull in the last 15years and it would be correct.

Maybe so. But we could win the treble for 3 years running, and still be dismissed as a **** team by the Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea fans.

Does it really matter who did what and when?
Currently it's a better move for him, Liverpool were willing to sell and Chelsea needed a CM and they're in the CL.

It's impossible to say who will do what and who will finish where. Torres might suddenly realise he's a forward and knock in 30 goals this season, he could also fall over break his leg and never play again.

Back