Michael Essien 'horror' tackle on Pennant

Do you think it was worthy of:

• Total voters
So here is the video of the Michael Essien challenge that everybody has been saying was deserved of a red, and is worse than Rooney swearing in to the camera:
[video=youtube;sYNpldrC3fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYNpldrC3fs[/video]
As you can see it's really not anywhere near as bad as the gif and picture made it look.
Why would a picture make it look worse than a video? In a video it is more likely to be manipulated through angles and the fact you're watching a split second event. A picture freezes it at the exact frame before the tackle giving the best view. When you combine the video and picture evidence together, it's quite obviously a red card. Considering where his feet are in the challenge, and the momentum of Essien shown by the video.

I said this yesterday when i was watching the game live on the internet with my brother and his mate i said thats a straight red in real time. And nothing has changed my mind at all, it was a definate red card but and i say but. The op said is this worse than what Rooney did and no its not. Now both incidents have happend Pennant is ok but Rooney has offended many worldwide.

thats ridiculous, since it actually got minimal complaints, a lot less than any other recent tv censures. So that argument holds no water

can somebody post a link about the incident?
never mind,i is 2 post over mine....

thats ridiculous, since it actually got minimal complaints, a lot less than any other recent tv censures. So that argument holds no water

Its because the majority of people who complain to TV companys are stuck up their own **** and are normally at their allotments on a Saturday afternoon. Hardcore football fans wont ring up and complain will they. Rooney has no reason what so ever to do what he did and it makes no sence at all.

But is Pennant injured?

That's not the thing though. His career could have been ended by that challenge, that would have been far worse than the public being offended.

Its because the majority of people who complain to TV companys are stuck up their own **** and are normally at their allotments on a Saturday afternoon. Hardcore football fans wont ring up and complain will they. Rooney has no reason what so ever to do what he did and it makes no sence at all.

But you said many were offended worldwide. And then you're saying that the football fans (People watching) won't care. Make your mind up?

Rooney could have easily not sworn directly at the camera.

yes he could have but seeing as this is a thread about Essien's discusting, career threatening challenge and not about whether someone was offended by words they hear every day from Wayne Rooney, i fail to see why you keep going on about it.

yes he could have but seeing as this is a thread about Essien's discusting, career threatening challenge and not about whether someone was offended by words they hear every day from Wayne Rooney, i fail to see why you keep going on about it.

The op says this was this worse than what Rooney did thats why i bought it up?

Last edited:
The op says this was this worse than what Rooney did thats why i bought it up?

which too many people, tackles like this need to be stamped out of the game before swearing in my opinion but some people may see swearing as a bigger problem to career ending challenges, clearly the FA find the later to be more important.

which too many people, tackles like this need to be stamped out of the game before swearing in my opinion but some people may see swearing as a bigger problem to career ending challenges, clearly the FA find the later to be more important.

Yer i agree tackles like this need to be stamped out but in this case the player is fine. So in this case Rooney's case was worse than Essiens.

Yer i agree tackles like this need to be stamped out but in this case the player is fine. So in this case Rooney's case was worse than Essiens.

So swearing is worse then potentially breaking someone's leg?

The OP guy likely and another mong.

It was a terrible challenge, red with out a doubt.

Nope I put yellow, I think. Definitely didn't put that it was a good tackle though.

So swearing is worse then potentially breaking someone's leg?

But in this case their was no injury thats the point. I dont understand why he had to do it simple as that. He has just scored a hat-rick possibly his best 20minutes as a footballer and arguably just made his team the most decorated team in terms of league titles in England. The pressure he is under is all down to himself knowone else.

This goal here won Chelsea the game on the day the papers published John Terry's "alledged" affair with Wayne Bridge's ex girlfriend. Surely you could say Terry had more incentive to swear or act in an inppropiate manner then what Rooney did.
YouTube - John Terry's Power Winning Header vs. Burnley

How can anyone say it's a good tackle? HE DOESN'T WIN THE BALL!! - A tackle involves winning the ball, a foul involves getting nowhere near the ball & making contact with the opposition player, as seen above.

The OP guy likely and another mong.

It was a terrible challenge, red with out a doubt.

Wasn't me. I put yellow, I think but after thinknig about it I agree, it's a red, but people are dragging out of proportion. You see one of these tackles per game/two games it's not the 'worse challenge of the season' Bosingwa made a worse challenge later on in the game, did you see that CJACKO? It wasn't two-footed or off the floor, but it was a lot more dangerous than Essien's IMO.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Nope I put yellow, I think. Definitely didn't put that it was a good tackle though.[/QUOTE]

please tell me your joking?

Didn't mean to post that I was about to edit it but I'm in college and the internet lagged.

Wasn't me. I put yellow, I think but after thinknig about it I agree, it's a red, but people are dragging out of proportion. You see one of these tackles per game/two games it's not the 'worse challenge of the season' Bosingwa made a worse challenge later on in the game, did you see that CJACKO? It wasn't two-footed or off the floor, but it was a lot more dangerous than Essien's IMO.

Now you mention it yes i do remember it. Right on the touchline i think it was on Ethrington and he got booked for it. That was a poor challenge too but Essien has got form so its more in the light.

But in this case their was no injury thats the point. I dont understand why he had to do it simple as that. He has just scored a hat-rick possibly his best 20minutes as a footballer and arguably just made his team the most decorated team in terms of league titles in England. The pressure he is under is all down to himself knowone else.

This goal here won Chelsea the game on the day the papers published John Terry's "alledged" affair with Wayne Bridge's ex girlfriend. Surely you could say Terry had more incentive to swear or act in an inppropiate manner then what Rooney did.
YouTube - John Terry's Power Winning Header vs. Burnley

It's not worse because it didn't injure him on this occasion. It had the potential to, which makes it worse. Just because Pennant has got lucky and suffered no injury is completely irrelevant to the severity of the challenge.