Moderator Requests

I wouldn't give in so easy?
What about the Honeypot Technique and a question and answer field?

Not giving in, more looking at it honestly and admitting you will likely always be playing catchup to some extent. Like gramps says, even massive companies like Blizzard struggle with it. It's essentially a reactive industry, so you're always trying to fix exploits as they come up. Just look at Blackhatworld in the first week after any major Google update and you'll see the insane and collaborative lengths people will go to in order to make their **** work. It's a very lucrative business.

Lots of bots have contigencies for things like honeypots these days. ****, even the image captchas that should defeat bots are starting to fail because most of them draw from open source images, which are then indexed, meaning that the bot can, if needed, run 9 quick reverse image searches on a 3x3 grid, scan the metadata for each, cross reference with the subject of the captcha and work it out. You'd be amazed at how quickly a bot can now pick 3 flowers out of 9 images.

It's made even more problematic by absurdly cheap labour in the places that a lot of these blackhat boosters are operating out of. Build your botnet to put any difficult challenges to one side, and index them. Have them send those challenges every so often to a 3rd party "freelancer" (normally a kid in India) and have him solve them. Assuming you're spamming about 750 sites an hour, and maybe 1% of them have actually difficult captchas, you're looking at 7/8 difficult ones an hour. They'll take a human about 10 seconds to solve, meaning he can deal with 6 a minute, effectively allowing a single person to solve the issues of 45 bots. Assuming he is working an 8 hour shift, and your bots are spamming 24/7, you can run 15 bots off one kid. How the **** do you fight that?

Nothing more I can add really that Subtle hasn't already mentioned.

I've switch from using a reCAPTCHA to a question and answer (not possible to have both) which will hopefully stop them. But as soon as one cracks it then we will get hundreds of spam accounts through in minutes.

There isn't too much I can do with the current software that we use as it's hella outdated and a nightmare to work with.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the site from the ground up but that's not going to be ready for many months (hopefully before FM18 though).

I've switch from using a reCAPTCHA to a question and answer (not possible to have both) which will hopefully stop them. But as soon as one cracks it then we will get hundreds of spam accounts through in minutes.

There isn't too much I can do with the current software that we use as it's hella outdated and a nightmare to work with.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the site from the ground up but that's not going to be ready for many months (hopefully before FM18 though).

This is exciting

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with :)

Anyone know why there's an issue with the spacebar on a number of threads? You can work around it by copying and pasting into the reply box, even just one word and then typing the rest in, but it's still something of an problem

Anyone know why there's an issue with the spacebar on a number of threads? You can work around it by copying and pasting into the reply box, even just one word and then typing the rest in, but it's still something of an problem

OhgodIthoughtitwasjustme.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Last edited:
I get this too. If I hit the enter button on the first line, its fine. I dunno if its Browser related? I use Chrome.

I'm also on Chrome. I just assumed it was some combination of extensions I had ******** things up.

I didn't hear back so I'm bumping. Are username changes allowed? If so could you tell me how please. Thanks.