My life, My Story, My aim to become a football manager.

Reaction score
My goal throughout this story is to start as an unknown manager and become a world class manager. The countries i've chosen for this save are England, Scotland, Italy, Spain. The story will be different throughout, points will be creative writing (Mostly beginning and ending of seasons) and other points will be season updates. Hope you'se will enjoy the story, feed back and contrsuctive crticism would be nice - thanks.

Introduction -

Yeah, so where to start huh? Just lost my job at the local business due to downsizing and got no other experiance to apply for anything else. Only two things i've ever wanted to do was play football which I never followed up on because I became lazy and never followed my dream and thats what made becoming a highly successful businessman came to mind.

I wanted to be a top manager, you know - of top businesses. Microsoft, Apple, you name them! That was my goal, but it never really got going-..and my previous employees just paid me off due to them downsizing there business, nothing seemed to be working. I needed a change, then I thought of something brilliant. Why dont i just join both of my top two things together and try and become a football manager?

It sounds stupid, I know but just think about it for a second. I've got previous managerial experiance, all be it with my local business from down the road but it's still managerial experiance and that's alot more than some of these ex-players can say they've got and they still get jobs. Also Im a big football fanatic, watch it and follow my local team - sure i was never a football player, but really? I aint letting that stop me.

I had to get this started, I had to find myself an agent and get applications ready to be handed into anywhere, here in Scotland, south in England or even abroad! Im not caring. I've already got an office my house, just need to get an agent. But first, i've got to start writing up suitable applications aswell, previous ones wouldn't really suit football manager vacancies.

Alright, i've got applications ready and i've even found myself an agent! Well yeah, let's call it an agent - he's an old school friend who went on to get some degree in some sport or whatever, im not really sure but he seemed confident and knowledgable enough to be an agent, and let's face it - it's not like i've got much better avalible to me - my agent sent out applications all around the globe, all to do now is sit and wait for that phone call....

The Chance -

God it's been a full 6 months since i've started this football manager idea..and nothing. I've even hadd to start to work down at the local fruit market to bring in extra cash while looking for a break. Im determined that Im not going to give up on this, this is something I want to do and im going to stick to it - i've even went and got my coaching badges.

I've gotta be honest, what was I thinking - trying to get into football management. I mean they just arn't any room for non-experianced footballers. Just as I was starting to give up on this idea, I get a call from my agent, telling me that a family friend of his has just started working in the back offices of small part time 3rd Division side Annan Athletic and that they could get me an interview for the vacant manager position. "YES!!" was the word i screamed down the phone, I wasn't caring what division they was in, I wouldn't of cared if the job was in China - I would of said yes. This was it, this was my chance.

Driving up to Annan Athletic's small stadium the next day in my old Ford. Which looked very much in place with the run down small "Galabank" stadium, which to my suprise could hold a capacity of 2,000. Not that it ever get's near that attendance. I met with the chairman Henry McClelland and presented myself in his very small tight and got to be honest untidy office.

The conversation was quick and to the point, not really what I was expecting. He was impressed with my attitude and my ambition to get foward and he must of saw something in me because I left Galabank with a two year contract with Annan Athletic. I had done it-..I was a football manager in the Scottish Third Division. It was time to make a name for myself..

xfwayc.jpg

This can develop into a great story. Keep it up man! ;)

Great start man , i'll be following. Bookmarked.

Bonding, Dining & Cup Exits

Alright, so it wasnt exactly Old Trafford or Celtic Park or even a stadium with seating capacity, it was Scottish Third Division side Annan Athletic. We've all got to start somewhere and for me Annan Athletic was the beginning to a long succesful managerial career. Easy saying that right? It's time I go and prove it..

Pre-Season

Annan Athletic 0 - 0 East Fife

Annan Athletic 1 - 0 Stenhousemuir

Whitehill Welfare 2 - 2 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic
0 - 2 MK Dons

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 2 - 2 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 0 - 2 Sunderland Reserves

Challenge Cup 1st Round

Livingston 2 - 0 Annan Athletic

League Cup 1st Round

Annan Athletic 1 - 2 Livingston

I've been trying to bring in a few players, sitting at my office in my house day after day after the pre-season games trying to improve our squad - but nobody caught my attention, well I really mean nobody we could afford caught my attention. I decided after the pre-season results to stick with the player's i've got after seeing some decent performances and all be it some poor peformances also, i saw potential in the side.

We ended the pre-season with defeat to Sunderland Reserves which may come off as a bad result to some, but to me we played well and that's what matters most during the pre-season, finding form and getting match fit, sure winning's always nice - but cant have it our way all the time.

Livingston knocked us out not one, but two cups - which I was dissapointed about, because I was hoping for a little nice cup run, but to be handed Livingston twice in the first round was surely the worst luck we could get in my opinion, newly pormoted to the 1st Division after back to back promotions, it was always going to be a struggle - but the performances my boys put in was nothing to be ashamed off and we so nearly pulled it off at home.

After the game, I took the boys out to the local restuarant "Galloway's Steakhouse" for a big three course meal! Was gonna set back a fortune, but it was something I was willing to do to get the boys bonding with each other and get the spirits up, although no alchohol was allowed, I wasnt wanting to be carrying any of the boys out of a restuarant - ha! Listen to me, being strict with the players, never would of saw myself like that.The night was a cracker and the highlight of it, was no doubt big Ian Harty's mrs comign to get him from the restuarant and drag him home, she had been waitin on him for there night in or whatever, woops my bad! Yeah, the morale was high and before the end of the night I gave a speech to the boys

"Alright boys, we may not be high-living superstars or even full time professional with thousands of pounds coming in every week, but we have a good tight squad and a great bond with each other and from what i've seen throughout the pre-season (with a few tweeks here and there) we're more than ready for the season a head, so let's give it our best and be proud of whatever we achieve!"

Heading home that night, I felt confident and proud of what i've seen from the players, we're starting to all gel together and be a right team - just before i jump in bed i circle 6th August what is this saterday, where we travel to Clyde on the opening day of the season

Don't let the pre-season results damage your and your players' morale. I hope everyone's feeling better after the night at the restaurant ;)

sweet! your story has definetly attracted my attention.

Season One Review

14l3bcx.jpg

ANNAN ATHLETIC

Season Objective - Reach Playoffs

August -

Clyde 1 - 1 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 3 - 1 Elgin City

Montrose 3 - 2 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 2 - 1 Berwick Rangers

Alloa Athletic 1 - 2 Annan Athletic

September -
Annan Athletic 3 - 2 Peterhead

Annan Athletic 3 - 2 Queens Park

October -

Annan Athletic 3 - 2 Stranraer

East Stirlingshire 0 - 4 Annan Athletic

(Scottish Cup 2nd Round)
Annan Athletic 5 - 1 Burntisland

Annan Athletic 1 - 0 Clyde

November -
Elgin City 0 - 4 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 1 - 1 Montrose

Berwick Rangers 0 - 2 Annan Athletic

(Scottish Cup 3rd Round)
Annan Athletic 1 - 2 Livingston

December -
Annan Athletic 1 - 2 Alloa Athletic

Peterhead 1 - 1 Annan Athletic

Queens Park 0 - 2 Annan Athletic

Stranraer 1 - 3 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 1 - 0 East Stirlingshire

6pano2.png

January -

Clyde 2 - 3 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 5 - 3 Elgin City

Montrose 4 - 1 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 3 - 4 Berwick Rangers

February -
Alloa Athletic 1 - 0 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 3 - 0 Queens Park

Annan Athletic 1 - 1 Peterhead

East Stirlingshire 1 - 0 Annan Athletic

March -
Annan Athletic 2 - 1 Stranraer

Annan Athletic 4 - 0 Clyde

Elgin City 1 - 2 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 2 - 2 Montrose

Berwick Rangers 1 - 0 Annan Athletic

April -

Annan Athletic 1 - 0 Alloa Athletic

Queens Park 3 - 1 Annan Athletic

Peterhead 0 - 3 Annan Athletic

Annan Athletic 1 - 1 East Stirlingshire

Stranraer 1 - 2 Annan Athletic

6xthmh.png

SCOTTISH 3RD DIVISION CHAMPIONS!!
2011/2012

Is this a dream? No it's reality..

I still cant get over it, I mean what a season. The lad's have been fantastic, i've been getting texts and phone calls all day from friends and family and even managers in the 3rd division, nice to see theres no sour grapes! The boys are buzzing in the dressing room - first time in Annan Athletic's history of reaching the 2nd Division.

We presented the trophy at Galabank infront of our few hundred of fans who have followed us throughout the season, when I put my hands on that cup to lift above my shoulders, I actually had to ask one of the players to give me a quick hit to make sure this wasn't a dream. I mean I know it might not be the biggest title or achievement, infact it's probarly one of the lowest, but to me and the boys it's bigger than winning the Champions League.

I'll never forget the look on the boy's faces, especially Davie (David ***). He must have been more emotional than he was when he celebrated the birth of his baby boy, well it seemed that anyways - not that I would ever say that, wouldn't want to get him grief from his mrs.

After the trophy presentation, we planned to go out in the town to celebrate, as the manager I insisted to stay out of it, but the boys wasnt for having it and by six o'clock I was sitting putting on my classy shoes and my "designer shirt" and it was off to the known nightlife of Annan! Ha - more like a few pubs and one wanna be club.

Yeah, so this is where I tell you what happened in the night out, say how good it was and it was one of the nights to remember, well truth is? I cant even do that! I dont remember a thing, dont know if that;s a good thing or bad - I nearly forgot that we won the league until I read the local paper headline "Annan Champions!"

My agent contacted me, making me aware that my name was getting noticed around Scotland, especially in the First division and even one or two teams from the SPL. It was good to see my efforts wasnt going unnoticed - he congratulated me and told me to enjoy my summer break, but to be honest - I just want to get straight back into it. Second Division? Here we come!!

Good first season man , you get your seasons done quick. A bit of analyse could make the story a bit more interesting.

Now that is very interesting!
After reading this I might start a lower league one when my Arsenal one gets abit boring :p
Good luck in division two, can't wait til next update!

I'm glad to see that the pre-season results didn't affect you and your players. I agree with Seano, a bit of analyse would improve the story. Also, haven't you done any transfers at the winter transfer window?

Nope, never had any cash to bring players in andd no free agents really caught my attention. Il be bringing in a few for this season though, dont worry about it! Hopefully have the next update up by tonight, or at the very latest tommorow!

Nice job on taking the Celtic job but... doesn't this sound a bit unrealistic? You know... going from such a low team to Celtic.. My opinion . :) Anyway that doesn't mean I won't be following... I am a big fan of your story and I LOVE your updates :D

Last edited:
Nice job on taking the Celtic job but... doesn't this sound a bit unrealistic? You know... going from such a low team to Celtic.. My opinion . :) Anyway that doesn't mean I won't be following... I am a big fan of your story and I LOVE your updates :D

I thought the same mate! I stuck the application in just for a cheeky shot! Never eard anything for like a month, then got offered the job! Thats why I stuck the history summary at the end to prove to people i aint full of bs, because I know it sounds unlikely and cheers mate, next update will be up today!