Netherlands v Spain [World Cup Final]

Who will be the new World Champions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I Think 3-1 Spain ( I'm wrong a lot ) hopefully this can be the game to change my luck

I'm a dutch man so i hope and think that Holland is going to win with 2-1:)

Heart:
Netherlands 3-1 Spain
Sneijder - 2
Robben
Villa

Head:
Netherlands 1-2 Spain
Sneijder
Villa
Iniesta

Maybe we can do what we did at Euro 08 and suprise the **** outta them with fast pace football :D

You mean the tournament that Spain won? <)

Its going to be an Orange night

Holland 2-1 Spain

3-2 for Holland. Van Persie with two and one from Sneijder, all in first half. And if Holland decides to rest and do not play the second half then maybe Torres can score two back ;)

I would like Holland to win. But Spain are just to strong.

Holland 1 - 2 Spain

Spain to win 2-1. Can see Van Bommell getting sent off if he puts the boot in like he did in previous games with Howard Webb reffing which will give Spain the advantage. Iniesta and Villa to score for Spain. Kuyt to score for Holland.

Well at least England are in the final :D Come on Webb!

I hope Holland win, my love for Dutch football is second only behind Belgian so hopefully Stekelenburg and co. can win tonight! I wish I had enough cash to bet on it :(

spain 2 holland 2 extra time puyol sent off goes to penalties and david villa misses and holland win

i think spain have played really badly this world cup and were lucky to beat germany
holland have been one of the best teams and they actually have players who could change the course of a match in sneijder, robben and van persie while spain only have villa, xavi is overrated and they cant score from midfield, and they are just relying on villa
holland will win for definate if they score first and they could also pull off another comeback

I want Holland to win. I've always enjoyed watching them, and they've always been somewhat of a second team whenever England get knocked out. So I'd like to see the Dutch win this year, I think they deserve it overall for how they've played.

So I'm siding with the parakeet, not the octopus :D

Fiver on at 33/1 for Netherlands to win 3-1 within 120 minutes.

Worth a punt I think.

Got a feeling it will got extra time, gonna be a hard game to call.

But I'll go for Spain to win 3-2.

From Zonal Marking
Holland v Spain: tactical preview
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9104/worldcupfinal.jpg

The Dutch approach

It would be a surprise if Spain did not dominate possession, and Bert van Marwijk must be concerned that his sidewill simply get outpassed in the centre of midfield. Xavi will drop deeper and pick the ball up from Sergio Busquets, whilst Andres Iniesta will move in from the flank and create a skewed diamond in the centre of midfield. The Dutch players in the corresponding positions – Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben – are more dynamic players but neither reliable in terms of ball retention, nor hard-working defensively. They may have to compromise their natural game to make sure Holland have a chance.

Of particular interest will be the attitude of Mark van Bommel and Nigel de Jong. Will they sit deep in front of their own defence to prevent Spain playing between the lines, or push up and try and disrupt Spain’s passing game? Certainly, van Bommel will play slightly higher up the pitch than de Jong, so his positioning will be key.

Another key factor will be how they treat Andres Iniesta when he is in a right-wing position. Giovanni van Bronckhorst has tended to deal with opponents by sticking tight to them, but this probably won’t be possible when Iniesta moves inside. Dirk Kuyt is a good defensive player and will have to be incredibly disciplined in this game – he’ll be the attacker with the most responsibility to get behind the ball, but his primary job will be tracking the runs of Sergio Ramos, who bombed on forward to good effect against Germany.

Arjen Robben will focus on pinning back Joan Capdevilla rather than tracking his runs, whilst Wesley Sneijder’s job will be to take up positions that worry Sergio Busquets and Xabi Alonso, even when Spain have the ball.

The Spanish approach

Vicente del Bosque’s first decision is whether to keep Pedro Rodriguez in the side. On the basis of his semi-final performance against Germany, he is a surefire starter, but the other options – Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas, David Silva and Fernando Llorente – all offer something different if del Bosque wants to spring a tactical surprise.

But that is exactly what it would be if Pedro was omitted – a surprise. He and Iniesta will switch flanks throughout the game, and Pedro will relish the opportunity to use his pace against van Bronckhorst.

Elsewhere, it’s difficult to see Spain changing their general approach. So far, a constant criticism of Spain has been their lack of width, with their five midfielders tending to congregate in the centre of midfield. Today, however, this could suit the occasion quite well, for they will try and overrun de Jong and van Bommel in midfield, with the knowledge that Robben will stay wide, Sneijder will perform half a defensive job, whilst Kuyt coming inside will create an easy out-ball to Sergio Ramos.

The key, of course, is whether they can turn their expected dominance into goals, having scored just six goals in six games so far. Xavi has acknowledged Spain need to be more clinical, and whilst David Villa is the obvious threat, Pedro and Iniesta need to take up serious attacking positions more frequently to trouble Holland. The Dutch have looked slightly suspect against through balls towards wingers moving into central positions, as the centre-backs move too high up the pitch – think Robinho’s goal in the quarter-final against Brazil. That’s more Pedro’s natural game than Iniesta’s.

Defensively, Spain will press relentlessly in midfield, which should be interesting as Holland have generally faced teams who sit back deep inside their own half. There is no specific plan for dealing with Sneijder, and their priority might be doubling up against Arjen Robben.

A tight game that will be decided by the defensive jobs of the two midfields, and which side take the few chances that come their way.

16 - 1 on Webb sending off Van Bommel. Took a fiver on it.

Think Dutch have a chance but got to say that I think they'll struggle unless they're willing to play possession football to a level that team hasn't demonstrated yet.

Nothing would please me more than to see Kuyt get a world cup winner's medal (absolutely fantastic human being, exceptional pro who's taken way too much nonsense from supposed 'experts' who don't realise his value) but think Nando will be the one going back to Liverpool happier.

16 - 1 on Webb sending off Van Bommel. Took a fiver on it.

Think Dutch have a chance but got to say that I think they'll struggle unless they're willing to play possession football to a level that team hasn't demonstrated yet.

Nothing would please me more than to see Kuyt get a world cup winner's medal (absolutely fantastic human being, exceptional pro who's taken way too much nonsense from supposed 'experts' who don't realise his value) but think Nando will be the one going back to Liverpool happier.
totally agree on kuyt. if he was at united he wouldnt get the same flak at all. compare the way he gets spoken about to the way park is applauded for his hard running and work.

not sure about van bommel though. the man only just got a yellow card despite the ridiculous number of fouls he has committed this would cup...