Pele The Most Overrated Footballer of all time ?

Is pele the most overrated player ever

• yes

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • no

Votes: 45 90.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but its Maradonna who is overrated imo. Nothing on Pele whatsoever. I don't doubt he had great talent, but the way his dishonestly "won" the world cup for Argentina, well his estimation for me shot down through the floor.

sigh i have seen them all, funny how you dismiss the fact that pele was the guiding force of that great brazilian side, not to mention the single handed hero at club level.

You sir need to pull your head out of your own ***. First you question my knowledge, then assume i dismiss all these facts. I AM NOT saying pele was terrible. I am saying he is overrated because of people like you who never seen him play and were not alive at the time to judge the brazilian league. Perhaps i should have called this thread pele overrated compared to the best player ever diego maradona

your profile says you are 20 years old, so how did you watch them? youtube can make anyone look good or bad.

exactly he watched them largely how we did, through footage, AJT09 will have seen more of them than he has

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

You sir need to pull your head out of your own ***. First you question my knowledge, then assume i dismiss all these facts. I AM NOT saying pele was terrible. I am saying he is overrated because of people like you who never seen him play and were not alive at the time to judge the brazilian league. Perhaps i should have called this thread pele overrated compared to the best player ever diego maradona

pfft, i need to pull my head of my ***? says the one who doesnt even know how good the brazilian league was

I have to jump into this arguement. The Brazilian league wasn't near the standards of europe in terms of the quality of defending at that time, and the Brazilian ethos is and always has been to outscore the opposition. That said, he still tore defences apart in international games, and his national goal record is still very good. I don't think he would have scored as many in europe, but he isn't exactly overrated. He was probably the most complete footballer to ever play the game

Brazilian league in 60s > English league in 60s
I would love to see any pro player who can score more than 1000 goals, anywhere.
He won 3 WC. Period... Therefore:
imgres

Sorry, but its Maradonna who is overrated imo. Nothing on Pele whatsoever. I don't doubt he had great talent, but the way his dishonestly "won" the world cup for Argentina, well his estimation for me shot down through the floor.

in what way did he dishonestly win the world cup ? The drug scandle was in 1994. yes he did single handedly win the 86 world cup. Can you name any other player who played for that team no. Yet i could name almost everyplayer in the brazil 1970 team as thats what they were a great team filled with some of the best players ever from jairzinho to carlos alberto

exactly he watched them largely how we did, through footage, AJT09 will have seen more of them than he has

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------
I used to think when I was a kid that Maradonna was on the same level as Pele after the way played in World Cup games, but "that" game was enough to make me dislike him not only as a player, but doubt his integrity as a person. Pele never ever did that to win a World Cup-he was an absolute model proffessional. The World Cup is about the most talented players win such a trophy honestly-and he didn't in the England match. And when he admitted years after, just infuriated me.

I have to jump into this arguement. The Brazilian league wasn't near the standards of europe in terms of the quality of defending at that time, and the Brazilian ethos is and always has been to outscore the opposition. That said, he still tore defences apart in international games, and his national goal record is still very good. I don't think he would have scored as many in europe, but he isn't exactly overrated. He was probably the most complete footballer to ever play the game

well said, though that doesnt translate to the national side since it was brazil who invented the modern back 4

my profile information is false. I am not prepared to display my actual date of birth on an online form.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

well said, though that doesnt translate to the national side since it was brazil who invented the modern back 4

I am not prepared to argue this anyfurther. After reading it again. I will agree he is not overrated and i am wrong. However i still feel he is not the best ever and that he will never be on the same level as diego maradona.

Pele scored 1000 goals... therefore the league sucked

Real Madrid won 5 European Cups... therefore the European Leagues sucked.

We (Liverpool) also won five, so it must actually suck.. XD

my profile information is false. I am not prepared to display my actual date of birth on an online form.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

I am not prepared to argue this anyfurther. After reading it again. I will agree he is not overrated and i am wrong. However i still feel he is not the best ever and that he will never be on the same level as diego maradona.

So you have the balls to say Pele is overrated but don't have the balls to display your date of birth on a football manager forum?

maradonna is a great but his individual achievements dont even come close to peles.....

He obviously hasn't watched Zlatan Ibrahimovic play. He IS the most overrated footballer of all time

maradonna is a great but his individual achievements dont even come close to peles.....

This thread has turned into an shouting match that has gone completley off topic. I will begin a new one asking who people feel is the best ever. I also disagree with this feel free to continue the argument on the other thread.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

He obviously hasn't watched Zlatan Ibrahimovic play. He IS the most overrated footballer of all time

haha agreed

This thread has turned into an shouting match that has gone completley off topic. I will begin a new one asking who people feel is the best ever. I also disagree with this feel free to continue the argument on the other thread.

There's already a thread for that.

How has it gone off topic?

Well your are entitled to your opinion obviously. Perhaps you should have called the thread 'Pele The Best Player of All Time? rather than try to slate the man for being 'overrated'

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

haha agreed

the thread is on topic, and we do not need another thread

Are you old enough to seen him play? If so, your grammar is shameful for your age, really. Also, you're using the fact that a small percentage of the demographic of this forum will have seen him in the flesh playing, and then using that as a basis for an argument. This is just plain stupidity, you can still find TV footage of his old games for people to judge him off and not just a highlight reel.

You're contradicting yourself too, how can you discriminate against the Brazilian leagues because Pele scored 1000 goals, and then use Puskas as an alternate example. Surely R.Madrid's dominance can be used in the same context as your argument that the European leagues were weak. By your logic, if R.Madrid were brilliant in that time, then they were a group of fantastic individuals. So therefore, Pele must also be a fantastic individual - by your logic.

Think your arguments through before you make ludicrous claims, the fact the only argument you can form is a heavily contradictory one is just showing you to be incredibly ignorant and arrogant about your own opinion. If you want people to stop flaming you so hard, actually put forth a decent argument why Pele isn't so great. But then, that's pretty hard to do, so you have to resort to hyperbole and logical fallacies, which only discredits you further and makes Pele seem just as great.

Status
Not open for further replies.