Our run in the Champions League came at a price as our small squad struggled towards the end of the league season and slid down the table.

View attachment 158915

No Champions League football next season unfortunately.

Our finances have improved to the point were I can spend some money on transfer for once. Previously it was all free signings and loans so hopefully we can add quality before the group stage of the Champions League begins next season.

If, as expected, we don't manage to win the ACL I will definitely begin to look elsewhere for a bigger job as I don't want to be stuck in Africa for longer than is necessary.

Champions League Group Stage

With 3 South African sides in the group we knew what to expect at least. However our form towards the end of last season against the big sides in the league was poor so we needed to up our game.

We hit the ground running...

View attachment 158890

View attachment 158891

Then we hit the wall...

View attachment 158892

View attachment 158893

We needed a good result in the final game as the Kaiser Chiefs to guarantee a spot in the semi finals.

Despite being outclassed for large spells we somehow managed to sneak a win and even top the group.

View attachment 158894

View attachment 158895

ACL SEMI FINAL

We're in uncharted waters here with such an important game only a few matches into our domestic season and with 5 or 6 players still finding their feet.

-- 1st Leg --

View attachment 158888

A solid away performance against our more illustrous opponents. A vital away goal
gives us a great chance of booking a final spot

-- 2nd Leg --

View attachment 158887

Is this real?? We put in a great performance to seal a Champions League final spot. Signing a new keeper has been a masterstroke as he popped up with a few good saves that set us up for winning it later in the game.

ACL FINAL 2019

CAF_Champions_League.png

Having began at lowly Baroka FC I never envisaged my first Champions Final would have also been with them. I always felt I'd outgrow the club and take one of South Africa's more established clubs to Champions League glory.

Yet here we are. Two games away from glory or despair!

-- 1st Leg --

View attachment 158802

Its was backs to the wall stuff even before the red card we received! How we managed to sneak away with a 1-1 i'll never know. Perhaps this is just 'our year'.

-- 2nd Leg --

View attachment 158803

CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Al-Ahly will feel hard done by and rightly so as over the two legs they definitely had the better of the chances.

But lady luck was on our side throughout the ACL campaign and we bring the trophy back to South Africa. Who'd have thought that we would have won the Champions League BEFORE even winning our own top-flight title.

View attachment 158804

I leave Africa for Asia with a growing reputation.

We followed up the Champions League triumph with another Super 8 trophy and added the SA Cup to my collection.

However, we could only manage a 3rd place finish in the league so I exit Africa without the top flight title which is a shame. I'll maybe come back in several years to complete the collection.

View attachment 158784
View attachment 158783

In Asia I felt Korea or China would be the best option to challenge for the Champions League.

After a few failed job applications I was finally handed a chance in Asia with South Korea's Incheon.

View attachment 158780

As expected, any new club will almost always be in trouble in the league and Incheon are no exception as they are deep in a relegation battle.

View attachment 158779

So first things first, avoid relegation!

Brilliant going so far especially win the first Champions League Title, KIU

End of Se seasontson - Asia

After a very slow start I thought I was about to follow up a Champions League with a relegation!

But we steadied the ship an ended the season well to save our league place.

View attachment 158536

View attachment 158537

I've a few young African players joining at the end of season so I think we will have a competitive squad to fight at the top end of the table next season, although the rules will only allow 4 foreign players in the match day squad so I'll have to rotate.

Last edited:
Across all the season as a manager so far we always seem to jump out off the blocks at the start of the campaign as this year is no different. The foreign lads have made all the difference.

View attachment 158525

View attachment 158519

The relentless pace we have set this season has been match by Ulsan as we slug it out at the top of the table.

The new signings have settled well and turned us from relegation candidates to unlikely title chasers

Champions League Group Stage

After an amazing title win last season we find ourselves in the group stage of the Asian Champions League - step two on our Pentagon journey.

Japan's Osaka AC and Guangzhou of China will be the main barriers to qualification.

-- Results --

View attachment 158137

View attachment 158136

View attachment 158141

View attachment 158140

View attachment 158139

View attachment 158138

Qualification at the first attempt.

Some great performances especially beating Osaka AC 12-1 over the two matches. Beating Guangzhou over two games as well bodes well for the knockout rounds.

Could we claim another continental title at the first attempt?

View attachment 158135

Asian Champions League KO Rounds

2nd Knockout Round

-- 1st Leg --

View attachment 158130

As good a first leg result as any side could hope for.

-- 2nd Leg --

View attachment 158129

Sydney took the lead and despite dominating it took us until near the end to cement our place in the Quarter Finals.

QUARTER FINALS

-- 1st Leg --

View attachment 158128

We have a mountain to climb now despite bossing most of the game.

-- 2nd Leg --

View attachment 158127

Another leg were we have the better of the chances but still fail to win. Poor finishing and defending has cost us dear as we exit the Champions League at the quarter final stage.

End of Season 2022

After exiting the Champions League I wanted to make sure we got ourselves the domestic double and the players duly delivered finishing a mammoth 40 points clear at the top of the league!! (my biggest ever in FM I would think)

View attachment 158123

View attachment 158122

View attachment 158097

An unexpected managerial change but I've went from a budget of £0 transfers/£80k a week wage budget to £21m transfers/£400k a week wage budget.

Their 5th place finish means no Champions League football next year but that gives me time to build a squad capable of winning at the first attempt when we do qualify for it.

*will just do an end of season update unless something spectacular happens

CHINESE SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

View attachment 157104

DOMESTIC CLEAN SWEEP

View attachment 157105

The decision to leave South Korea for the cash-rich Chinese Super League has been justified so far. Dominating domestically has led to a place in the Asian Champions League next season and with the squad I've assembled over the last 12 months I see no reason why we can't win it straight away.

For example, I could never have got Richairo Zivkovic to come to Incheon in Korea. And what a signing on a free half way through the season.

View attachment 157106