Portsmouth F.C - The Rebuilding Job

Who to be!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
View attachment 212763

View attachment 981497

View attachment 212767
Oh how I earnt this win, listened to my staff changed tactic while keeping my plan A in tact for in use of home games and others I feel confident with. So this was my plan B staff told me to play low tempo with a balanced mentality to allow me to ***** the game.

We got the goal early on and had decent possession so went to control managed to rest my star striker took him off at 65 and in the last ten minutes went defensive told the lads to concentrate pulled the wingers back and result! An away win which puts us in 3rd!!

167069959-portsmouth-football-club-fans-celebrate-as-gettyimages.jpg

View attachment 212724

View attachment 212722

I Didn't want to make too many transfers in January so after a ton of scouting eventually decided on Callum Woods signed from preston for 48.5k can play at left and right back will be playing on left primarily with duckworth doing a steady if unspectacular job on the right.

And with the fact I have managed to get rid of more reserve players wage bill will still be lower than it originally was :)

View attachment 212717

Oxford Vs Portsmouth

This is a huge match match for us Oxford are currently in 2nd place and a staggering 8 points ahead of us eek!

So 1st Off my new signing woods is fit to play so he's going in no time for him to settle in :p

My staff are telling me to play counter fluid and with a few things I don't usually play with so decided to go with my Plan A but on counter.

View attachment 212706

Soccer%20Kick%20off.jpg

Kick off!

So it was a pretty tight 20minutes possession was tight not much to report but then Kyle Bennet who else? :p cut inside the 18 yard box and was about to shoot...

Brought down! Penalty! result Gary Roberts penalty taking 17 went to take it ...

And made a right hash of it weak and low goal keeper quickly collected and distributed and before I knew 1-0 down :(

View attachment 212705

39mins: Dunne has the ball maybe 40 yards out runs and finds a pass to roberts... hes just outside the box two defenders on him turns and takes an ambitious shot with his left foot ...

WHAT A BEAUTY! TOP CORNER 1-1 this was a sick goal totally redeemed himself!

View attachment 212704

View attachment 212703

View attachment 212702

I've earn't their respect and look at me like they would at mourinho :p
I tell them were playing well and to keep it up they seem pleased.

View attachment 212700

It's tense end to end stuff...

View attachment 212701

View attachment 212699
58minutes Free kick to us

View attachment 212698
GARY ROBERTS!

Great Goal! 2-1 up :)

After that we had it With a couple of tactical tweaks from me we held them out well and in the 92minute Dunne tied up it up with a sick volley

View attachment 212697

View attachment 212681

View attachment 981718

View attachment 212679

View attachment 212675

Ahh February the month of love... Luckily for us we fell in love with winning 4 out of 4 playing my plan A for most of it and my youngsters are growing learning playing evolving strike that just like pompeii they have ERUPTED!

View attachment 212671

Well young Ben Close has anyway he is in the form of his life and is playing week in week out 19 years old!

View attachment 212669

Manager of Month award for me also :D 2nd in the league one point off top 13 games to go!

Doing well mate and a really good choice in club! Keep it up and you'll be in the Prem in no time

View attachment 212599

View attachment 981918

original.jpeg

View attachment 212597
Yea... well the joke was clearly on us I dont know what happened we played well in a few and were a bit unlucky morale dropped like a rocket and that was that what an awful awful month. We have managed to secure a play off position but now automatic promotion is over and my job threat is insecure and my contract runs out at the end of the season...

Confused and unhappy...

We draw Luton in the play offs a team meeting has put them a bit happier which is something here goes nothing

View attachment 212583
View attachment 212582

Here we are Wembley Day So much hard work all comes down to this. I listened to my staff and my gut for this one struck a balance between what I was being advised and what I thought was best probably the best combination :p

And what can I say this was a really really boring match well at least to begin with even on extended not many highlights very few chances for both sides a tight game and before I knew it 90mins had been played 0-0.

Now at this point I'm freaking it out because on the one hand we are not losing and while we are not playing that well were not playing badly so I give a rousing team talk and hope for the best.

Bennet and my 1st choice keeper were both unavailable since the start of the match so in a lot of respects I was pleased but we had McNulty and Roberts so I was praying they could get something special...

time ticked on and then

View attachment 212580

They scored Alex Gillead slotting it past the keeper from 12 yards we have 11 minutes left its not looking good

View attachment 212579

116minutes why do I play this game honestly I know how its going to end Ive been on this all day ffs it only ****** me off

View attachment 212578
Corner to us,

header deflected...

volley! blocked nooooo

Wait!

TAP IN!!!!!!!!

View attachment 212577

ADAM WEBSTER OUR SAVIOR GET IN ******* GET IN WE CAN DO THIS LADS!!!

I encourage the lads aggressively cmon lads...

1 minute remains looks like penalties Oh **** theyve got a freekick...

Long way out were fine keeper kicks it out

McGuirk collects in loads of space still in our half starts to run forward with it

Then he just switches the play much to my surprise only to find my right back duckworth of all people whos charging forward (the right back I bought at the start) and hes 20 yards out on his own THE RIGHT BACK!!!

surely not defender closes down he shoots the idiot he's never going ...

View attachment 212575
HE LOBS THE KEEPER! HE SCORED THE RIGHT BACK! NOT OVERPRICED NOW IS HE FANS!?! (they didnt like him originally)

View attachment 212573
article-2075747-0F37B48E00000578-509_468x286.jpg

2-1 2-1 were in league one!!! GET IN!

View attachment 212324

Season Summary

Well what a year it has been for us. It certainly has been a rocky ride but we have definitely progressed since last year.

I managed to get a one year extension to my contract, We now have a parent club with arsenal who pay us 85k a year, we have more and better qualified staff most of our areas of training are the best in the league and the board have agreed to upgrade the youth level and facilities as part of our philosophy to develop young players :D

It wasn't easy though coming in with a next to nothing football background it took a bit of time to win the players over especially during team talks. The first move I made was to upgrade/replace the staff bringing in more specialized coaches. Then having looked at the squad originally I looked to the youth set up to see how could make the upgrade and there were a few lads with high potential so I stuck them all into the first team. Sadly the only players I wanted to sell mainly our right wingers what kind of a team has 7 right wingers! and no left! best position granted.

Either way noone was sold in terms of incomings aside a couple of loan moves my only real buy was Michael Duckworth a right back solid and dependable and while did cost a bit seemed a necessary buy.

Pre-season was awful lost every game including the game to the reserves they couldnt get the tactic at all so I ended up creating a new tactic control low tempo the opposite I had envisaged for the club but it worked at least for a bit and we found ourselves doing ok in the playoff positions 5/6/7th area . Then when we hit a slump I found the backroom advice that now give you advice for each game.

So I started to do that which didnt really work as they became even less competent about the system.

The first 2/3 months were a nightmare for goals though during pre-season noone had scored and despite having 3 strikers 2 on loan classed as leading star for this level no of them had scored it was all bennet and roberts my inside forward carrying the team.

So after a lot of searching I managed to find Sheff Utd Mcaulty originally I only got him on loan for 3 months as he was seen as might be interested in joining. He was way too good for this league and he tore it up and going back to my original plan A helped him even more aswell as the team all was looking rosy despite our 1st round cup exits in both the league and fa cup.

January allowed to reduce the wage bill of players that just weren't needed think I sold 6/7 and brought in a new left back due to my poor defence so we went from the highest wage bill in the division to about 4th.

Results really began to pick up win after win and in February we got a perfect month, manager of the month award and goal of the month (which eventually won goal of the season). Players were happy board and fan confidence was good we were in top 3 everything looked great and it continued through march not quite as good we drew a couple and despite a few players moaning about playing time people were happy.

At this point we had a preferred eleven and formation 4 at the back 1 DM 2CM's 2 Attacking wingers and Mcnaulty up front. Bennet and Roberts were doing brilliantly average ratings of 7.3 something while my 34 year old captain was doing well in DM Mcaulty doing great upfront and one of my youngsters to look out for had established himself as a first team regular at the back and my keeper was also a solid player and for the first time we found ourselves top of the league!

Then in april we lost a game and it really hurt us bad morale dropped i had to do a team meeting, it wasn't as effective as I hoped then after drawing the game after I tried to change things up and it just made it worse we lost 3 games and drew 4 in april winning none we had fallen from top to about 5/6th luckily we had already qualified for the playoffs but my job was insecure and it just sucked.

Then playoffs! listened to my staff again and they rode me through the first game agaisn't carlise a different mentality and style luckily they were still accomplished with it which rocketed morale and took us straight over the edge to win the playoffs!

Got my new contract, southampton got relegated which usually I wouldn't care but given I'm portsmouth is awesome clearly don't have saintmotbot in charge :p

Let a few more staff go during the summer and players managed to get Mcaulty on loan for another year bring on league one!

View attachment 212321

View attachment 982584

View attachment 212320

View attachment 212254

So then Transfers! While I would have preferred a few more players bought rather than on loan to keep team cohesion high I'm pleased.

I kept on my 35 year old captain his contract extended automatically and he his good hopefully his experience will bode well for us. Had a bit of clear out got rid of everyone not including youngsters who's contract was running out and didnt want to renew, had a season with an average rating of 6.7 or less and sold a few more players who just weren't needed.

So League one! using my arsenal connections I picked up Bielik and Pleguezuelo? yea me neither

Bielik is a versaitille player and could play in the championship according to my staff he can play at CB, DM or CM and he's now by far our best player check his stats

View attachment 212315Not bad right? I also got Donyoh from man city who can play at AML or up front really fast, which helps me in my system awful in the air but thats fine whipped crosses for you! :p

Anthony Gerrard is a name that some of you should recognise! on a free from shrewsbury to be honest he cost me a bit in wages 2.8k a week all though those of you doing a prem game wouldnt even worry about releasing him its so low in comparison! A bit slow but an excellent defender happy to have him.

Oh and James wilson is another CB my defence was my biggest problem from last yer only guy I spent money on my best CB and again good enough for the championship take a look

View attachment 212312

Still got some money left all goes well there in terms of tactics I have my Plan A still attacking free flowing football and my now plan B is where I basically listen to my staff which is becoming more apparently clear is a 4 -2-3-1 (2 DM's) formation controlling the game retaining possesion at a low temp.

Will see which does better!

View attachment 212309
Better than Last year! the game agaisn't arsenal we played really well :p its too bad that would have been a cool win haha

Last edited:
View attachment 212298

View attachment 982651

View attachment 212295

View attachment 212294

View attachment 212292
View attachment 212290
What a great start! Were playing really well results and confidence is great so with some big wins also two 3-0's and only one goal conceded!!! again were out the cups tho but what ya gonna do

So who's doing the best one of my new signings?!? someone I spent a ton of money on!?! no far from it it's... Mr. Dependable

View attachment 212288
Kyle Bennet! gave this lad a new contract 4 games 2 goals 1 assist 1 POM Avg Rating 7.43 seen as a league one player by my staff this guy is just awesome dribbles really well and is quick he just beats people!

Donyoh from man city has done really well sadly my youngsters haven't done particularly well but keeping them in the squad hopefully they'll get some more games and progress :)

Last edited:
View attachment 212222

View attachment 982826

View attachment 212221

View attachment 212220
View attachment 212219
View attachment 212218

We are Unbeatable! 10 games 8 wins two draws in which we have conceded 3 times! we have conceded less goals than some of the best teams in the world! we have such a mean defence is it boring though are the fans happy YES! Not only that but one of our philosophies is to play attacking football and were doing it most of the time I can play my plan A tactic and what can I say were just cruising!

Top of the league only 9th highest in wage bill I mean look at Birmingham! 3 times more than we have Kyle Bennett is killing it as always, putting us highest in most dribbles However he's not getting my Player of the month as he was injured for last two games no that goes too ...

View attachment 212216
Adam May 18 years old very high average rating and is performing well in training also he's 18!!! Incredible hopefully he can lead the team for many years yet :)

Back