Portsmouth Relegated.

• Thread starter Thread starter Tom26
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 102
  • Views Views 6K
The players have always tried to win the games, and Avram has stuck at the job even though he could of left for Hull which is a slightly better position than us.

The fans have remained loyal all season, and yeah a few twats in the stands might of boo'd once or twice this season, but we've kept singing every game and won't give up. Only sad thing about this is that it will be extremely hard to get back up and my love for football is quickly deteriorating.

The players have always tried to win the games, and Avram has stuck at the job even though he could of left for Hull which is a slightly better position than us.

The fans have remained loyal all season, and yeah a few twats in the stands might of boo'd once or twice this season, but we've kept singing every game and won't give up. Only sad thing about this is that it will be extremely hard to get back up and my love for football is quickly deteriorating.

You don't mean that Maxwell..

I would like to mark the sad occassion of Pompey's relegation with a few quotes from the club's once self styled "saviour" Peter Storrie...

“People have got to appreciate that I am the Chief Executive of this club, I am an employee, I am not the owner and it is the owners who make the decisions and run the club. At the end of the day I am simply an employee of the club and I only carry out the instructions of the owner.”

Funny because he also said...

“Al Faraj doesn’t like publicity, he’ll let me run the club day to day.”

From the Daily Mirror (31/5/09): Peter Storrie Exclusive: How I sealed Portsmouth takeover deal with Sulaiman Al Fahim.

Peter Storrie has been hailed a hero by Portsmouth fans just months after they were calling for his head.
The executive chairman bore the brunt of fans' criticism as Pompey was put up for sale and rumours were rife that the club was facing financial ruin.
But in the early hours of last Wednesday morning, in the penthouse suite of the Intercontinental Hotel in Rome, Storrie and 53 year old former teacher Pairoj Piempongsant masterminded a deal that is set to revolutionise the Premier League club.
"I cannot even begin to explain the relief I felt when we finally concluded a deal at 1am on Wednesday morning."

Having taken the credit for "masterminding the takeover" he later told the same newspaper (20/02/2010): Peter Storrie: Where it all what wrong with Portsmouth

"Our financial problems increased when we had a succession of owners who didn't have the money to run the club, borrowed against the assests and put us in more debt. Perhaps the Premier League should have more stringent rules in place to prevent this."

And when Peter Crouch and Sol Campbell expressed concern about the club’s finances publicly Peter was quick to set the record straight:

“Sometimes they just don’t understand, they make these silly statements”

Another gem from the Storrie teller...

“The club is not going into administration, if that were the case we it would have happened at the end of September or early October. Much is happening behind the scenes but constant malicious rumours and speculation do not assist with the proposed major long term funding that is currently being put in place. We’re financially sound now, the moves that we made in the transfer window [selling Lassina Diarra and Jermaine Defoe] have made things stable.”

Altogether now, oh no they haven’t!

And possibly my personal favourite, on resigning Peter said...

“It is an extremely sad day for everyone connected with this club.”

Err, no it ******* wasn’t!

(quotes courtsey of the Football Ramble, probably the best football podcast in the world!)

wait till you start next season mate and your winning again you will fall back in love with the beautiful (if not slightly frustrating) game.

Sadly I do Samwell.

oh come now, i'm a Derby fan, and i still love football after that trainwreck of a Premiership season we had not ling ago.

sure we weren't in any financial difficulties, but we only had 11 frickin points!

oh come now, i'm a Derby fan, and i still love football after that trainwreck of a Premiership season we had not ling ago.

sure we weren't in any financial difficulties, but we only had 11 frickin points!
I can understand where your coming from, but like you said you weren't in financial difficulties and managed to hold on to most of your squad which kept you in the Championship, and I'm just worried we won't be able to do that and we'll sink further and further :S

Thats why you dislike them then. :S

Pompey are a proper football club, good fans, not glory hunters, legend of a manager who's not getting paid.

The Prem will miss them.

no just meant never liked them from the start but i dont hate teams coz they beat man utd!

I can understand where your coming from, but like you said you weren't in financial difficulties and managed to hold on to most of your squad which kept you in the Championship, and I'm just worried we won't be able to do that and we'll sink further and further :S

I agree, this isn't about relegation this is about the financial mess that our club have got themsleves into.

It's a problem that affects many clubs, Portsmouth have had more publicity because of their league profile but I empathise with any supporter whose club is in administration, is facing administration or whose ambitions are hamstrung by high debts and mismanagement of the clubs finances.

This problem is becoming endemic in the modern game and it is fans who are being shat on from a great height.

Until the powers in the game do something to ensure transparency this problem will persist. Forget the "fit and proper test" it is proven to be worthless and what's more questionably legal (can the League or FA really stop somebody from buying a company? no!)

As long as there is a club to support, I'll be there to support it no matter whether it is in the top or bottom tier of the game. I will never demand that the club wins a trophy, achieves promotion or buys that star striker because I know that when you reach for the sun you get burnt.

My advice to evry football fan is think about this when you bemoan your club's lack of ambition and be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

well, not all of our good players.

heres a list of people from the top of my head we lost when we got relegated:

Kenny Miller
Benny Feilhaber
Laurent Robert
Steven Howard
Andy Todd (well, not really good but he left nonetheless)
Matt Oakley
Roy Carroll

They all played ok for us in the Prem, and we lost them when we went down.

still, i see what you mean, we still have a lot of our good players.

Its a massive loss for the premier league to have no South coast football team in the top flight next season.

Portsmouth will come through this and I hope they are back in the top flight one day.

Pompey will be back, The men who have mis managed and ****** the club over are slowly ******* off. Unfournately Uncle Avram will leave. I think it needs a young manager, who will manage there for a long time. He needs to be given support and time whether you get relegated again or struggle. He needs to be able to slowly Re-Vamp the squad, It will take time, effort and Support. but he can do it.

Technically, they might finish with the lowest points tally in the history of the Premier League - the previous record was set by Sunderland at 19. But even if they do, it won't really count after the points deduction...

Technically, they might finish with the lowest points tally in the history of the Premier League - the previous record was set by Sunderland at 19. But even if they do, it won't really count after the points deduction...

Derby Got 11 points mate.

I can only feel sorry for the fans of the club, seeing there club be brought down like this by the Board at teh end of the day, hope they can create abit of Joy in the FA Cup today :)

it all depends if they get the finances sorted out coz lots of players are premier league level wont want to stay...belhadj ,david james, ben haim, etc

The one thing we must do over the next couple of years is keep faith in managers, if we chop and change to much we're just going to end up like the rest of them, e.g Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Bradford.

do you think avram will stay he only signed a one year deal
No, he will go definitely.

It's the clubs own fault really, they lied to him about selling players saying they wouldn't sell anyone, and also said he'd have transfer funds which he never got, so I think he has every right to leave if I'm honest.

But, of course, I'd love to see him stay.

if he goes who would you like to see as manager i would like mark hughes

Back