I posted this in the "post your success" thread and no one congratulated me!! Argh, now I'm enraged :mad:

First season I ended 3rd in Norwegian premier division, the last place that qualifies for Europa-cup
This is how 2nd season ended.
View attachment 1063789

3rd season will start with Europa-league knockout 1st round! Beat Leicester 3-1 away in the last match, pretty proud!

I got Milan in the Europa league knockout btw so I will update either here if I lose or in the success thread if I win, now recognize!!

(sorry for my horrible sense of humor,please dont ban me (A))

When you dominate the game and a mid tier keeper turns into Neuer to save almost everything. 9.3 rating after conceding - wtf am I to do when this happens. Just can't do anything. Game is so counter attacking orientated which is annoying when you dominate them for them to score every chance they have.

View attachment 140076

So frustrating. The game just decides you've lost before the game starts and nothing you can do about it.

This is just so bullshit, mate, you know this.

It's just ridiculous, the game just sees it's going too well so decides the keeper is gonna be stupidly good, or your best defensive player suddenly can't play football to sunday league standard. Don't forget the amount of ref cheating performances where gives a pen that wasn't.

My personally most annoying thing is the match engine, your player takes a throw-in up the pitch the player knocks it back and it will always be offside. It's got to the point where I can't watch it on comprehensive as it just infuriates me.

Game is so counter attacking orientated which is annoying when you dominate them for them to score every chance they have.

View attachment 1064648

So frustrating. The game just decides you've lost before the game starts and nothing you can do about it.

How about playing counter attacking yourself? worked for me when I had a mediocre team 1st season.
When you're among the strongest teams in the league you need a tactic that has several scoring options and allow for some creativity.

My personally most annoying thing is the match engine, your player takes a throw-in up the pitch the player knocks it back and it will always be offside. It's got to the point where I can't watch it on comprehensive as it just infuriates me.

change your throw in setup where a player who dribbles more and play more directly comes short to recieve it, standard setup does what you say for me to.

How about playing counter attacking yourself? worked for me when I had a mediocre team 1st season.
When you're among the strongest teams in the league you need a tactic that has several scoring options and allow for some creativity.

Not going to work at some point that well as AI opponents oft try to grind out draws against the big dogs (which includes your team if you are one such or have raised your game to be considered such), with barely anybody advancing (lots of defend duty players... at its most rigids none of the wide backs ever comes forward an inch). Agree about the "mediocre team 1st season" observation, where it's the opposite. The space gifted from the top dogs expecting no less than a win against you (managed by AI in particular those who have risky traits edited) is obscene on occasion. And yes, this was all AI gifts (little cover for attacking corners, obscene lines for through balls etc.), gladly accepted.

coh2t5N.jpg

However you yourself can easily do better than them (which needs lots of improvement). No idea for instance where people get the idea from that you'd always need a bare minimum of 7 players advancing to be a threat... as that also means play is hugely compressed with no back passes on to rebuild or many balls played from deeper areas anymore. The game being rigged to screw you over is a massively laugh though. Can't do much if luck is massively against you (remember a match where i conceded 3 dfks, whilst free kicks aren't awarded against the run of play or at random, which means you could have done something about it to prevent them, never had this since and before). However typically there's always something that makes stuff more/less likely to happen like, if you notice you're getting hit on the break, why the heck not add some coverage? Counter attacks where toothless enough on prior incarnations that you'd needed to have your back door ridiculously wide open to at all regularly concede from them. Upgrade was badly needed.

The supposedly super keeper is that realistically the game should model keepers in a way in which outside of tap-ins and penalties the keeper is always in the advantage to save... All performance data points to this which is a result of it being easier to deflect a shot off target than it is to get the ball accurately on target under pressure. Not saying that the balance is spot on, just as an argument. There's a difference between the class and the average, but clubs spend millions to squeeze the few tiny extra percentages. The ratings is pure gaming Maths. Keeper makes lots of saves, even comparably easy ones, gets a good rating. Also worth remembering that the game tries to model players growing confidence, which includes keepers, as well as them getting frustrated after wasting a billion shots (Cronaldo initially at the Euros, say).

Last edited:
just look at that pic, 31 shots and 2 clear chances, only 11 of 31 hitting target. You need a tactic that breaks down defences with creativity, pace and a bit flair. Not just shooting from 25 yrds because you have no options to play to..

playing more structured and defensive often draws the opposition out, kinda like what France just did against Iceland.
Just going on attack or control with no plan leads to frustrated long shots.

View attachment 139842

93 seconds on the clock, and my second choice right-back picks up his second yellow card! He passed the ball twice and committed two fouls. All in a day's work. Needless to say, our progress in the FA Cup was 'halted' as a result.

You'd think a professional defender worth millions of pounds could control a ball properly, or at least clear/pass to a teammate if he couldn't. And the icing on the cake? Post-match, a journalist says something about the goal being "a sensational effort that surely I will admit". Well, up yours, Paco Alcacer and "Darren Wood from BBC Radio 5 Live"!

View attachment 139767

Applied for the Athletic job and they want me, but they can't agree a few with the Mallorca board as compensation! The board block my move!

When you dominate the game and a mid tier keeper turns into Neuer to save almost everything. 9.3 rating after conceding - wtf am I to do when this happens. Just can't do anything. Game is so counter attacking orientated which is annoying when you dominate them for them to score every chance they have.

View attachment 1064648

The game does not decide you lost before it starts, but I agree that in some random match, AI kinda lower the players' shooting accuracy to an absurb level. Usually you have to use many skills to get past matches like this (actually the screenshot is in 2015):

View attachment 138793

I come up with a crazy solution in 2015, I restart the game before every matches and it seems that the nerf goes away. I didn't suffer any "unfair" matches. Of course you need good tactics and improvisation during the matches as well.

What's really going on is that SIgames can hear you talking through your computers built in microphone. That's why you always jinx yourself playing FM.
Wrapping your computer in glad-wrap makes your voice harder to hear and you're back on the winning track. Worked for me on FM06.

View attachment 136814

Sunderland lead 1-0. So frustrating. It's okay if it's once in a blue moon but it's an on going bug. The GK was a.v.e 10.0, finished with a 9.3 as we ended up winning 3-1. Scoring 3 goals from last 3 shots.

I'd consider it a bug if there was a real-life comparison to it (plus all playeres experiencing it). But usually there isn't, I've seen this in each version for years. If such happens regularly, there is system and pattern of play behind it, and you must have created a freak of pattern where either every or almost every shot is from set pieces. Typically it's just parking players into the area and/or going ultra narrow when trying to break up packed defenses, upon which defenders have zero area to cover. Click on the dots and watch. Set pieces on average are mostly easily defended and the shots off them not that good quality, like headers under pressure maybe on target, but easy to save for the keeper. Boxes are chock full of players and players marked during pieces by default. If an opponent drops deeps, that will lead to an increase in set pieces. However pushing every single player up so that they sit atop each other and playing so aggressively that there is only forward passes and zero space only highlights this all the more. Any player mistake by yours or bug if you're unlucky leads to a better shot.

Maybe it's unrealistic that in FM you can have every single shot from set pieces, which is indeed crazy, but teams don't play that way in real football, so who knows. What I don't find crazy that simply throwing players forward doesn't guarantee goals, same as piling up shot counts disregarding all quality, only the most naive would believe in such. And more crucially it's the tactical downloads creating crazy play, as they aim to expose the ME and game AI tactics, rather than play realistic football. Too many people are either influenced by this or download this themselves. Exact same story at annguyens' the corner counts says it all and the huge number of fouls leading to free kicks for yours. This is another shot from a view pages back, exact same thing, always the same. 33 shots, 20 corners, how many throw ins and free kicks? There you have your "wonder shot count", super keepers, bollocks. Lots of shots, little quality.

1011779d1453017542-post-your-frustration-rage-screenshot-29-.png

CCCs is *****. Even if they where accurate, they shouldn't be converted at higher rates to like 1 in 3 at best. And at the point your forward may have them, he might have lost the plot already due to missing all of his many weak ones previously, like CR7 at the Euros with his 40 shots and zero goals in the group stages. What the game really needs is a stat showing how poor you are at opening opposing defenses, which is a break down of shots from open play and set pieces. In the age of the mighty corner exploit which could turn both Cbs into top scorers, this was less of an issue. And as this is a rant thread, that like half of the research hands out "gets forward at every opportunity" ppms to players as if everybody was Lucio in his prime is also rather silly too (and can fuel this).

Last edited:
hi there,
i was playing with PSG, it was just too easy so i was wondering about resigning and joining a team in a better league without infinite money. i decided to play on 3 seasons. in the first i won the french double (minimum expectations) and the transfer budget next summer was a ridiculous 360 million. i bought some very good players and was able to win the CL too next year, Di Maria playing like a Golden Ball candidate. neyt summer the budget was about the same. i was buying some great young players. the season was starting in about 3-4 weeks when the board suddenly sacked me, cause of the team's performance in the league, which i won twice in 2 ******* years. WTF??

The fact that you can't get a replay of the goals playing a network game is frustrating. Hopeless. Should be possible to fix this.

I'd consider it a bug if there was a real-life comparison to it (plus all playeres experiencing it). But usually there isn't, I've seen this in each version for years. If such happens regularly, there is system and pattern of play behind it, and you must have created a freak of pattern where either every or almost every shot is from set pieces. Typically it's just parking players into the area and/or going ultra narrow when trying to break up packed defenses, upon which defenders have zero area to cover. Click on the dots and watch. Set pieces on average are mostly easily defended and the shots off them not that good quality, like headers under pressure maybe on target, but easy to save for the keeper. Boxes are chock full of players and players marked during pieces by default. If an opponent drops deeps, that will lead to an increase in set pieces. However pushing every single player up so that they sit atop each other and playing so aggressively that there is only forward passes and zero space only highlights this all the more. Any player mistake by yours or bug if you're unlucky leads to a better shot.

Maybe it's unrealistic that in FM you can have every single shot from set pieces, which is indeed crazy, but teams don't play that way in real football, so who knows. What I don't find crazy that simply throwing players forward doesn't guarantee goals, same as piling up shot counts disregarding all quality, only the most naive would believe in such. And more crucially it's the tactical downloads creating crazy play, as they aim to expose the ME and game AI tactics, rather than play realistic football. Too many people are either influenced by this or download this themselves. Exact same story at annguyens' the corner counts says it all and the huge number of fouls leading to free kicks for yours. This is another shot from a view pages back, exact same thing, always the same. 33 shots, 20 corners, how many throw ins and free kicks? There you have your "wonder shot count", super keepers, bollocks. Lots of shots, little quality.

1011779d1453017542-post-your-frustration-rage-screenshot-29-.png

CCCs is *****. Even if they where accurate, they shouldn't be converted at higher rates to like 1 in 3 at best. And at the point your forward may have them, he might have lost the plot already due to missing all of his many weak ones previously, like CR7 at the Euros with his 40 shots and zero goals in the group stages. What the game really needs is a stat showing how poor you are at opening opposing defenses, which is a break down of shots from open play and set pieces. In the age of the mighty corner exploit which could turn both Cbs into top scorers, this was less of an issue. And as this is a rant thread, that like half of the research hands out "gets forward at every opportunity" ppms to players as if everybody was Lucio in his prime is also rather silly too (and can fuel this).
To be fair, I didn't even set up much in the corners and free kicks and rarely score from them (except in direct free kicks). In my corners, I short pass to another player and keep playing short passing game. I play possession all the time. Most of the missed clear cut chances in this particular game are in close range after a through ball.

Btw, Ronaldo at Euro got 45 shots in total, not 40 shots in group stage. And he managed just 11 shots on target (just 27,5%).

To be fair, I didn't even set up much in the corners and free kicks and rarely score from them (except in direct free kicks). In my corners, I short pass to another player and keep playing short passing game. I play possession all the time. Most of the missed clear cut chances in this particular game are in close range after a through ball.

Btw, Ronaldo at Euro got 45 shots in total, not 40 shots in group stage. And he managed just 11 shots on target (just 27,5%).

The general point about Ronaldo was that he had apparently lost some cool, and would later miss a penalty. As FM has revealed for years in its body language feedback that players can grow nervous and frustrated from missing shots, it would be therefore an exercise in frustration to turn this into a contest of who's the first to get 70 shots, and there's that tendency to get shot+1 off any set piece no matter how it's set up. I play in quite simple ways, most of the core dating back to guides written years ago ensuring that you would create multiple chance types and have width and movement, but whenever I would approach 40 or 50 shots, that's matches were we had scored at least 4, 5 goals. There was a bug in an older version where you could create tons of through balls down the middle, which normally aren't that good chances even though flagged as ccc. They aren't angled balls so the forward has to turn and shoot typically immediately, and the keeper just get a body part in pretty much to deflect it. Which is also connected to playing narrow in some way or another, so that absolutely nothing would come from wider areas anymore. In general, keepers should be in the advantage to save on one on ones, which is a common misconception, messy tap-ins created are so underrated.

That sounds curious though, would like to see the match which can be saved when clicking on the result and clicking save match. Still have FM 2015 installed too and some curious matches, such as an AI managed Real Madrid fielding Ronaldo with his deservedly shoots at every opportunity trait fielded as a lone forward on attack duty off a flat midfield, which makes him run far ahead of everyone on each attack and the focal point. When the ball gets to his he tends to be without players to pass to, so takes shots. 40 attempts, zero return for Real. Stuff you can read about in entry level guides since years, yet still an AI manager weakness in FM 2016, if ever fixed, they will only get more efficient. It's not only a game of players, or else they could call it Player Manager 2017 (Buy-Ronaldo-and-win Special Edition). ^^) The shot counts may go down, and the dreaded ccc stat become more accurate (will still be all kinds of different chances), but none of this else has ever been a bug. It's playing in unrealistic/contradictory inefficient ways when facing packed defenses when it's happening regularly, and no update will ever change that as it's been a constant ever since. What's been a constant anyway is that as evidenced there's players who have issues here, whilst others less so.

Last edited: