Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
Highly agreed - no FM series is the same in the match engine, I always seem to have to tweak tactics that I had thought would work fine on the next generation of the game, as it turned out they were pants on the next - but it'd be boring otherwise, right?

I'll tell you what ****** me off, two days before the champs league final my leading goalscorer and star player and defender both get injured. my star centre mid goes on international duty on the day of the champs league final... WHAT?? When would that ever happen???? Anyway, start the game and 2 minutes in (the very first graphic) my captain (centre mid) gets sent off. I only have one other centre mid who ten minutes later goes off injured... Game turned off and will be left for a few months now I think...

youb have to take this post in the context it was written, this was release week and about 99 percent of threads posted were people complaining about the match engine and how **** it was, not realistic, fm12 was better and blah blah blah.

Of course I have had issues with the match engine but back on realease I still managed to have an unbeaten season with Chelsea, won the league with spurs and came top four with QPR etc so I still had success as did a number of other people

My issue at the time of posting was that people blamed the match engine for all their failures and was not prepared to look at their tactic and consider their approach was wrong I can recall a number of people posting SS of their tactic and you could see the flaws. they thought that just because it worked in FM12 which had a number of exploits it would work in the current ME but that is not the case but thanks to replying too a comment I wrote in November or whatever it was

Yeah, now I see what you mean and I feel the same way. People shouldn't be blaming the match engine for their past failures. People should consider tweaking their tactics, going over them, the people that say fm12 is better are wrong because there is a significant difference in fm13 and the game has improved a lot. Thanks for replying as well :)

A frustration for me is when i'm drawing 1-1 and just as my team get the ball through on goal wide open chance to score, the referee blows the whistle for full time because it has hit 90 mins+2 exactly not even a second or two give or take. Its not very realistic

I've had the same problem in 99% of the games I fail to win. I once had a penalty and the **** ref blew the ****** whistle. I'm fine with a draw, but definitely not a draw like this. I just had to replay the game because that is not acceptable

When my player complains about not enough first team football, you promise him you'll start him in more games, you start him in every game since then and he then hands in a transfer request due to me not fulfilling my promise!!! Oh. My. God.

I do feel like there are too many times when players got injured on the field.
Not sure if this is just confirmation bias but when I regularly see at least one player got injured on the field and have experienced having -three- of my own players get injured in a single game then I do feel there is a problem with the ME. This doesn't seem to happen very often IRL games.

Team talks really **** me off this year in FM.

My team scraps a narrow win against the team that is dead last in the league, I'm second placed team atm, and didn't play well at all, in the end it could pretty easily have been a draw due to the fact that we allowed several big chances.

So I told my team that the expectations weren't meat and we need to step it up against better opposition, not an unreasonable demand to have if you so narrowly escaped an upset against a much weaker team, well at least that's what I though, me team thought otherwise and now I have 3 unhappy players in the squad who all feel I'm treating the team unfairly...

Of course those were the three players that got reasonable good ratings in the game, so if you ever play a ****** game but there is only one player in the squad who got a 7.5 or higher rating, better don't be demanding or you risk ******* up his moral, just awesome.

Team talks really **** me off this year in FM.

My team scraps a narrow win against the team that is dead last in the league, I'm second placed team atm, and didn't play well at all, in the end it could pretty easily have been a draw due to the fact that we allowed several big chances.

So I told my team that the expectations weren't meat and we need to step it up against better opposition, not an unreasonable demand to have if you so narrowly escaped an upset against a much weaker team, well at least that's what I though, me team thought otherwise and now I have 3 unhappy players in the squad who all feel I'm treating the team unfairly...

Of course those were the three players that got reasonable good ratings in the game, so if you ever play a ****** game but there is only one player in the squad who got a 7.5 or higher rating, better don't be demanding or you risk ******* up his moral, just awesome.

Have you called a team meeting recently? What is your team's personality (You can check this by going on a player's profile, report, and seeing it above the team's on the far right). You can also check team-talk feedback in the assistant manager's report (click on his profile, reports, team-talk feedback).

You need to be aware of their personalities and perhaps adjust them to situations where they can provoke a stronger reaction; e.g. at home to a weaker opposition, you take a more demanding or assertive tone. Away from home, against similarly weaker opposition, calmer, however, be more encouraging in having more faith.

hey guys my problem is me lol hmm i have player faces when i type there names on the right put but say i click on maupay profile then his face is gray how do i get his full pic?

Either I'm just having a bad day and woke up grumpy I don't know, but I'm getting really fed up with this game.

My team is valued at over 250million quid, Its based around four key elements. Passing, Technique, Decisions and Composure.
Now granted that in itself does not guarantee success but what I have just witness is effin insane.
I played a match Vs Man City with my very successful self built tactic and all of a sudden we look like Bury playing Brazil.

Every single effin pass we make is to a City player, every pass we make is to a marked player even though we have players unmarked and OPEN, every run we make is straight into a City player, every pressure clearance my keeper makes is closer to our corner flag than the half way line, every tackle we make misses, every time we get into shooting position my player stops and waits to get tackled, my player keep bumping into each other and losing the effin ball.

City passes to a player who is MARKED and BEHIND the marker yet the ball gets to him, every time City run with the ball they run around my player, every time City get into a shooting position THEY SHOOT, every effin single effin tackle City make they effin win, every clearance their keeper makes is straight down the middle of the park, City players never bump into each other.

Match finished 1-1 with us having 29% possession, City have 19% IN OUR EFFIN HALF.

WHAT THE **** IS UP WITH THIS ******* MATCH ENGINE???

Last edited:
I am done with this game.

Been trying to get into a new save with the new transfers for a while but find myself frustrated with every team I try. Decided to choose PSG and stick with it for at least 10 games or so, give the team a chance to get used to my tactics and hopefully get some fun out of it considering they're vastly superior to every other team in the league (before I was mainly trying mid-table teams). So far my home games have gone great, dominating possession, playing good football, keeping clean sheets and scoring plenty of goals. As soon as I play an away game all of that goes to ****.

How dare you try to play possession-based attacking football in an away stadium, even if your team is superior! The FM gods will not allow it! I still dominate games but opposition keepers become superhuman, saving everything, while my defence becomes suicidal. On two seperate occasions in the first five games I've lost by conceding four goals. In both games I conceded from a penalty that wasn't a penalty, my goalie having a complete howler (the first time he flapped at a corner, the second he just let a simple free kick go over his head for no reason), and my centre backs deciding they would rather not pass to all the open team mates and would rather slowly walk up the pitch until they're tackled, letting the attacker clean through on goal. This is Thiago Silva, he should not be getting a 5.4 rating every away game! Maybe playing a more defensive, counter-attacking tactic will help my away form but how do I know it won't stop my defence gifting the other team goals like they already do. With other teams I usually just concede crosses all the time anyway and they're always the exact same. I have no motivation to continue trying to find something that works since the AI will just **** it all up anyway. Hopefully FM14 doesn't continue this trend since everything before 13 was fantastic.

Either I'm just having a bad day and woke up grumpy I don't know, but I'm getting really fed up with this game.

My team is valued at over 250million quid, Its based around four key elements. Passing, Technique, Decisions and Composure.
Now granted that in itself does not guarantee success but what I have just witness is effin insane.
I played a match Vs Man City with my very successful self built tactic and all of a sudden we look like Bury playing Brazil.

Every single effin pass we make is to a City player, every pass we make is to a marked player even though we have players unmarked and OPEN, every run we make is straight into a City player, every pressure clearance my keeper makes is closer to our corner flag than the half way line, every tackle we make misses, every time we get into shooting position my player stops and waits to get tackled, my player keep bumping into each other and losing the effin ball.

City passes to a player who is MARKED and BEHIND the marker yet the ball gets to him, every time City run with the ball they run around my player, every time City get into a shooting position THEY SHOOT, every effin single effin tackle City make they effin win, every clearance their keeper makes is straight down the middle of the park, City players never bump into each other.

Match finished 1-1 with us having 29% possession, City have 19% IN OUR EFFIN HALF.

WHAT THE **** IS UP WITH THIS ******* MATCH ENGINE???

You had your arsed handed to you by Man City? Where is the problem in that? You're telling me you have never seen a game where a top side has had a bad day and nothing has come off?

I am done with this game.

Been trying to get into a new save with the new transfers for a while but find myself frustrated with every team I try. Decided to choose PSG and stick with it for at least 10 games or so, give the team a chance to get used to my tactics and hopefully get some fun out of it considering they're vastly superior to every other team in the league (before I was mainly trying mid-table teams). So far my home games have gone great, dominating possession, playing good football, keeping clean sheets and scoring plenty of goals. As soon as I play an away game all of that goes to ****.

How dare you try to play possession-based attacking football in an away stadium, even if your team is superior! The FM gods will not allow it! I still dominate games but opposition keepers become superhuman, saving everything, while my defence becomes suicidal. On two seperate occasions in the first five games I've lost by conceding four goals. In both games I conceded from a penalty that wasn't a penalty, my goalie having a complete howler (the first time he flapped at a corner, the second he just let a simple free kick go over his head for no reason), and my centre backs deciding they would rather not pass to all the open team mates and would rather slowly walk up the pitch until they're tackled, letting the attacker clean through on goal. This is Thiago Silva, he should not be getting a 5.4 rating every away game! Maybe playing a more defensive, counter-attacking tactic will help my away form but how do I know it won't stop my defence gifting the other team goals like they already do. With other teams I usually just concede crosses all the time anyway and they're always the exact same. I have no motivation to continue trying to find something that works since the AI will just **** it all up anyway. Hopefully FM14 doesn't continue this trend since everything before 13 was fantastic.

A posession game is definitely possible away from home, especially with a top side. If you are getting a 5.4 with Thiago Silva, you are doing something pretty wrong.

And the AI wont mess it up. Should really make that clear, thats not how it works.

Posting your approach and creating a thread will serve you better, than blaming the game.

You had your arsed handed to you by Man City? Where is the problem in that? You're telling me you have never seen a game where a top side has had a bad day and nothing has come off?
Sure many bad days and many bad beats but this was insane.
Played Man City last season and the season before and always competed, they had many new signings in their starting lineup all mine where bar one who was on the bench have played for me for 18 months or more.
It was as though they where all super human, like the AI was turned up to 11.

I know it sounds like I'm another ME hater, honestly i'm not TBH I like the added challenge compared to FM12.
But I can only take so much, there is no rhyme or reason to how and why Man City could be so deadly, fast a fluid with so many new signings.

It feels unbalanced and unfair. I'm going for a good man cry now. Boo-hoo :'(

EDIT.... Like I said it did finish 1-1 (we got a penalty) and managed 3 shots on goal with two CCCs.
And it was away, but I had suited my tactic and formation and players to counter the 4-2-3-1 City play.

Last edited:
Sure many bad days and many bad beats but this was insane.
Played Man City last season and the season before and always competed, they had many new signings in their starting lineup all mine where bar one who was on the bench have played for me for 18 months or more.
It was as though they where all super human, like the AI was turned up to 11.

I know it sounds like I'm another ME hater, honestly i'm not TBH I like the added challenge compared to FM12.
But I can only take so much, there is no rhyme or reason to how and why Man City could be so deadly, fast a fluid with so many new signings.

It feels unbalanced and unfair. I'm going for a good man cry now. Boo-hoo :'(

There is always a rhyme and reason, whether its tactical, man management or simply bad luck. Your best is to re watch the highlights again, on comprehensive or full, watch their positioning, your positioning, watch how they constructed moves and your players reacted.

They had 71% of the ball, that suggests either tactical or man management, or both. Although, you drew 1-1, get over it haha. It's hardly the end of the world, its Man City!

And that's your impartial and unbiased opinion? that I got it wrong.
I had this game in mind three weeks before I played it and kept keys players fresh for it.
I scouted team, press confab went well, pre-match chat well really well, I micro managed the first 45 minutes, watching my shape Vs their positioning and adjusting OI's where necessary, made changes at half time from pace to power/strength, half time team talk went very well again even though 0-1nill down, micro managed the second half again adjusting OI's where necessary, nicked a goal. SO NO, TACTICALLY I WAS SOUND.
I can accept my team being out performed.

What I don't accept is how it was done, in the time I have been playing FM I have never been able to make a team play like the AI does. I give my team instructions but its the AI and ME that controls them. AND ITS BUNK!!!!

We are current Premier league title holders, WE are the big swinging dicks in this league...but ohh no its City. Meh!!

Last edited:
Maybe it was just a bad day. I wouldn't overthink it. Sometimes it just happens, you lose. It happens in the real world - you can do everything in your power to motivate your players etc and have the perfect tactics but sometimes the team just don't show up. Or even more likely your team do an okay job but the City players were just exceptionally fired up for it. Regardless, it is just one game and there's nothing you can do about it.

Finishing 7th on the last day of the season with West Brom to Arsenal meaning no European football, that is what I call frustrating!

Oh and who cares about losing to City!? They're basically one of the hardest teams to beat on the game, I've had Lukaku score a hat trick against City away and I still lost 5-3, take the positives and move onto the next game

Last edited:
And that's your impartial and unbiased opinion? that I got it wrong.
I had this game in mind three weeks before I played it and kept keys players fresh for it.
I scouted team, press confab went well, pre-match chat well really well, I micro managed the first 45 minutes, watching my shape Vs their positioning and adjusting OI's where necessary, made changes at half time from pace to power/strength, half time team talk went very well again even though 0-1nill down, micro managed the second half again adjusting OI's where necessary, nicked a goal. SO NO, TACTICALLY I WAS SOUND.
I can accept my team being out performed.

What I don't accept is how it was done, in the time I have been playing FM I have never been able to make a team play like the AI does. I give my team instructions but its the AI and ME that controls them. AND ITS BUNK!!!!

We are current Premier league title holders, WE are the big swinging dicks in this league...but ohh no its City. Meh!!

Well if you read my point is that you might have got it wrong, you might have been unlucky. Although 29% possession says you were somewhat unable to cope. If you really were as sound as you think you, with such a good side, you don't think you could have done more than 29% and 1-1? Considering that many people do actually beat Man City, that's an obvious pointer that its nowt to do with the "ME and AI" since that is the same for everyone. Preparation does not guarantee victory, it can only help push the odds in your favour

The bold is wrong. All other factors being equal (fitness, form, happiness, motivation, squad blending, pitch condition, and most of all, the opposition etc), your team instructions are on you. Neither the ME nor the AI "control" your input.

If you cant make your team play like the AI does, then that DOES point to how you set up and how you play. The ME doesn't control anything, its exactly the same for both teams, it just receives the inputs from you ( though its obviously infinitely more complicated than that).

The AI also has nothing to do with your "inputs" during 90 minutes. The Match Engine and the AI are two completely separate things.

If the AI can do it, so can you. The AI only uses the TC and the shouts ( in relation to the attributes and preferences of the manager in charge of said team)

There is no rubber banding, there is nothing the AI can do in 90 minutes that you cannot do, there is plenty you can do that the AI cannot do in 90 minutes. That is literally how the game works.

That is my unbiased opinion, I dont see what else it would be since i dont know you from adam.

TL;DR: There are things that actually need improving in the ME, and there are things that the user has to work on themselves.

This falls firmly into the latter.

Last edited:
Back