Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
Got hit by awful injury bug, 6 players are injured. notables are my 2nd best player (DM), alaba and my leading scorer for the last 3 seasons.. all are atleast 3 months out.. Fvck!

Is it possible to recall a player on loan from the start(Essien at Chelsea)?

Starting a new game (feeling excited), doing lots of work to assure my team is to a sufficient standard by changing staff, tactics, transfers etc. Do very well in preseason friendlies, then come the start of the season, lose/draw my first couple of games and quit as I can no longer be bothered to continue.

Starting a new game (feeling excited), doing lots of work to assure my team is to a sufficient standard by changing staff, tactics, transfers etc. Do very well in preseason friendlies, then come the start of the season, lose/draw my first couple of games and quit as I can no longer be bothered to continue.

New season, new players, new coaches, new manager. Don't expect the players to hit top gear before Christmas.
The team needs time to gel, new players need time to settle and some current players may not like you, the staff also need time especially if they are foreign with low adaptability stats.
A couple of games before throwing the towel in? :P

New season, new players, new coaches, new manager. Don't expect the players to hit top gear before Christmas.
The team needs time to gel, new players need time to settle and some current players may not like you, the staff also need time especially if they are foreign with low adaptability stats.
A couple of games before throwing the towel in? :P

True but I have to say, your man up top is right. It's a game, and why bother playing a game if it's just not enjoyable, especially when you've put so much work into it. I do think the makers have forgotten that playing games is supposed to be a pleasurable pass time.

True but I have to say, your man up top is right. It's a game, and why bother playing a game if it's just not enjoyable, especially when you've put so much work into it. I do think the makers have forgotten that playing games is supposed to be a pleasurable pass time.

They haven't forgotten anything. Just because you don't enjoy doesn't mean the have forgotten

It is a pleasurable past time, but its still a fairly close sim of football. That has always been the aim and that will never change. If you want just a basic football game , then play FIFA.

This idea that its just a game therefore you must always be able to succeed doesn't hold up. Just because it's a game doesn't mean it should be easy.

He isn't right, if you give up after drawing two games, you shouldn't be playing FM.

I sort of see what your saying but perversely I quite enjoy putting hours of work into a tactic buying the players I think make it work and then getting mashed to bits.

I sort of see what your saying but perversely I quite enjoy putting hours of work into a tactic buying the players I think make it work and then getting mashed to bits.

If you put that many hours of work into a tactic and buying the players, why cant you put some hours into getting the team to know each other? It is true as above stated, you can't really judge a team's performances until after christmas.

Just conceded because of a joke of a refereeing decision! Opposition fullback crosses in right under my goalkeeper. Would've been an easy catch for my goalkeeper were it not for the fact that the opposition striker charged into him and barged him over. What's even more of a joke is the ridiculous match commentary blamed my keeper for making a rash decision by coming out for the ball - he didn't!

Completely ridiculous from the referee AND the commentary.

Edit: They then go and equalise using a similar method, only this time with no blatant foul play involved.

I'm sorry, but this game is completely unenjoyable and, quite frankly, it's rubbish.

Last edited:

That said we can talk about things like better feedback etc, etc.

But at the core level, it's still going to be a relatively difficult game standard, usually requiring a fair amount of thought unless it's already second nature to you, simply because of the nature of what its trying to emulate.

I wonder if the problems I keep going on about are more issues with the 3D viewer than the actual ME itself. If I were to go down this line of thought, I'd never know if the ME was actually doing well or not because the 3D viewer does such an average job of actually showing what the ME is processing.

I have read from page 195 on this thread and seen a lot of posts from people saying "don't blame the match engine - the fault is with your tactics and the way you're playing the game". But I'm seeing players do things on the pitch that are totally inconsistent with the concept of being a professional footballer - irrespective of the specific tactical instructions assigned to individual players.

For example:

- Wingers, being played in their preferred positions, with decent dribbling and crossing attributes and no problems with fitness, finding space and then just stopping, simply standing still despite the presence of other forwards waiting for the cross, until a defender comes and takes the ball from them.
- Erratic simple passes out of defence at a rate far greater than anything I ever saw during my own Sunday league career.
- Goalkeepers, rather than playing a simple pass to an unmarked full back as instructed, regularly playing hospital passes between the full back and the oppo's winger, usually resulting in injury, a yellow card or conceding goals or corners.
- Defensive midfielders whose specific instructions are to play it short and to the wings blasting hopeless shots at the corner flags at a rate of 4 or 5 per match.
- All the above happening to my team - but not to the slick, direct, determined opposition!

These things do happen in professional football, but at nothing like the rate evident in this supposedly realistic simulation of the game. It would also be interesting to know the real stats on the number and frequency of long-term injuries and superhuman goalkeeper displays (by the oppo, not my keeper) in professional football and how that compares to FM. Before anyone replies, no professional football manager ever told his team to go onto the field and tackle 'easy' in a competitive football match. I don't know why the option exists in the game, unless it's only intended for pre-season friendlies. If you don't tackle hard you don't win the ball; that's true at every level of the game, from kids to amateurs to women's to professional to veterans.

Plus, the animation was better in FM11 (which I played for two years, so I by-passed FM12 altogether). The players had heft and weight and looked as though they were running on grass. Now they look as though they are slipping and sliding on glass, or playing Rollerfootball - like poor CGI in a disaster movie. And all long range forward passes skidding out of play or to the oppo's keeper, irrespective of the weather conditions... like watching the real life Liverpool midfielder and England captain Steven Gerrard totally failing to understand that the pouring rain at St Mary's Stadium made his repeated chipped throughballs to Luis Suarez unobtainable even for the rubber-legged Uruguayan, a major contributory factor to his team's 1-3 demise!

I understand the commercial imperative to constantly innovate and reinvent the game so it looks as though they aren't just reissuing the same thing year-after-year, but I wish SI would get better at understanding and retaining the elements that they have already got right, instead of trying to fix things that are not broken in the first place. I temper that by saying that I have worked as part of a web development team and understand that to add new features to a piece of coding you first have to break it and changing one feature can affect how another functions, so I appreciate they have a difficult job.

The screenshots and changes for FM14 look encouraging and hopefully they will correct the obvious flaws in the AI and match engine, at least to a level of quality that we have already seen in a patched version of FM11.

Having said all of that, my game as AFC Bournemouth in League One has started to improve since I found this web page, to the extent that during October I have climbed out of the relegation zone and into 15th position, with ample time to mount a challenge for the play-offs:

http://www.footballmanagerstory.com/fm-13-tactics-index/

Last edited:
I have read from page 195 on this thread and seen a lot of posts from people saying "don't blame the match engine - the fault is with your tactics and the way you're playing the game". But I'm seeing players do things on the pitch that are totally inconsistent with the concept of being a professional footballer - irrespective of the specific tactical instructions assigned to individual players.

For example:

- Wingers, being played in their preferred positions, with decent dribbling and crossing attributes and no problems with fitness, finding space and then just stopping, simply standing still despite the presence of other forwards waiting for the cross, until a defender comes and takes the ball from them.
- Erratic simple passes out of defence at a rate far greater than anything I ever saw during my own Sunday league career.
- Goalkeepers, rather than playing a simple pass to an unmarked full back as instructed, regularly playing hospital passes between the full back and the oppo's winger, usually resulting in injury, a yellow card or conceding goals or corners.
- Defensive midfielders whose specific instructions are to play it short and to the wings blasting hopeless shots at the corner flags at a rate of 4 or 5 per match.
- All the above happening to my team - but not to the slick, direct, determined opposition!

These things do happen in professional football, but at nothing like the rate evident in this supposedly realistic simulation of the game. It would also be interesting to know the real stats on the number and frequency of long-term injuries and superhuman goalkeeper displays (by the oppo, not my keeper) in professional football and how that compares to FM. Before anyone replies, no professional football manager ever told his team to go onto the field and tackle 'easy' in a competitive football match. I don't know why the option exists in the game, unless it's only intended for pre-season friendlies. If you don't tackle hard you don't win the ball; that's true at every level of the game, from kids to amateurs to women's to professional to veterans.

Plus, the animation was better in FM11 (which I played for two years, so I by-passed FM12 altogether). The players had heft and weight and looked as though they were running on grass. Now they look as though they are slipping and sliding on glass, or playing Rollerfootball - like poor CGI in a disaster movie. And all long range forward passes skidding out of play or to the oppo's keeper, irrespective of the weather conditions... like watching the real life Liverpool midfielder and England captain Steven Gerrard totally failing to understand that the pouring rain at St Mary's Stadium made his repeated chipped throughballs to Luis Suarez unobtainable even for the rubber-legged Uruguayan, a major contributory factor to his team's 1-3 demise!

I understand the commercial imperative to constantly innovate and reinvent the game so it looks as though they aren't just reissuing the same thing year-after-year, but I wish SI would get better at understanding and retaining the elements that they have already got right, instead of trying to fix things that are not broken in the first place. I temper that by saying that I have worked as part of a web development team and understand that to add new features to a piece of coding you first have to break it and changing one feature can affect how another functions, so I appreciate they have a difficult job.

The screenshots and changes for FM14 look encouraging and hopefully they will correct the obvious flaws in the AI and match engine, at least to a level of quality that we have already seen in a patched version of FM11.

Having said all of that, my game as AFC Bournemouth in League One has started to improve since I found this web page, to the extent that during October I have climbed out of the relegation zone and into 15th position, with ample time to mount a challenge for the play-offs:

http://www.footballmanagerstory.com/fm-13-tactics-index/

I came here to posy this...I have successfully managed to recreate Jorge samaoli tactics on every game and on this one you can tell the me isnt quite there with niggled bugs...theres only so many times one can play with dl tactics and not be frustrated because tried and tested one the player produces are being let down by the game on 2011 I dominated with Porto 2012 it was anzhi including the champions league then Dominated with Liverpool this Game ive had to resort to arggio sacchi tactic which works beautifully result wize but osnt a real representation of the. Real deal

I came here to posy this...I have successfully managed to recreate Jorge samaoli tactics on every game and on this one you can tell the me isnt quite there with niggled bugs...theres only so many times one can play with dl tactics and not be frustrated because tried and tested one the player produces are being let down by the game on 2011 I dominated with Porto 2012 it was anzhi including the champions league then Dominated with Liverpool this Game ive had to resort to arggio sacchi tactic which works beautifully result wize but osnt a real representation of the. Real deal

The ME in 2011 and 2012 didnt have collision detection, nor was the AI as good to be fair. It's got a number of things to deal with, but its a closer representation than either of those two. Bugs aside ( of which there are fair few) its a much more realistic concept than the last two. Graphically it needs a lot more animation though

For example:

All of this^^ has me pulling my hair out, when I mentioned in an earlier post about the games being unbalanced and unfair this is exactly what I'm referring to.

All of this^^ has me pulling my hair out, when I mentioned in an earlier post about the games being unbalanced and unfair this is exactly what I'm referring to.

The answer is still the same though. There is nothing tactically you cannot do that the AI can do in the ME.

If something is constantly happening to you and not happening to the AI, its not a bug in the ME, its not the ME being unfair.

The ME cannot be unfair because it doesn't distinguish between either side. And bugs will happen to both teams.

Last edited:
1. inefficient long shots
2. walking on the pitch
3. ridiculous tackling (a player with tackling 18 is not able to tackle properly and win the ball from the opposition player who's not moving)
4. short passing that looks like the players haven't eaten for 5 days
5. defenders that play like they're drunk
6. bad goalkeeping of my GKs
7. unbelievable opposition high shot accuracy

One of the worst things is when you can suddenly go from winning every game comfortably, to losing every games against weaker opposition. Another is when you dominate a game with thirty shots an either win like 2-1 or lose 1-0 when they have 1 maybe 2 shots its so annoying when it happens

One thing that is frustrating the **** out of me is that Belgium have such a poor youth rating. Therefore the quality of players coming through is generally poor. In 8 seasons there's only been 3 players come through that have world class potential from every club in Belgium.

Back