Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
Loss of focus and conditioning most likely. Very much sounds like end of season burnout. Good rotation in Jan/Feb can prevent this. keep your best players fresh for the big finish

I play the game as realistically as you can and never have been a download a super tactic and plug and play away to success.
I have tried to come up with a good footballing reason for this to happen. I want to know why it has happened so i can prevent it from again in a future save or again in this one.
I did rotate my squad as i had a 30 point lead over 3rd in january and i like to anyway to keep all my players happy and to keep them improving in training as i usually prefer younger players to help develop them. I also had a team meeting after the first two losses of the slump and all players reacted well but we still carried on getting beat. The overall player personalitly for my squad is ambitious i thought i would mention. I can take having a loss and sometimes i prefer to have one as it can help to address any weakness but i have never experienced this in 8 years of playing fm and i do realize 13 is a completely different animal to the other versions but is this the realism everyone was after?

I play the game as realistically as you can and never have been a download a super tactic and plug and play away to success.
I have tried to come up with a good footballing reason for this to happen. I want to know why it has happened so i can prevent it from again in a future save or again in this one.
I did rotate my squad as i had a 30 point lead over 3rd in january and i like to anyway to keep all my players happy and to keep them improving in training as i usually prefer younger players to help develop them. I also had a team meeting after the first two losses of the slump and all players reacted well but we still carried on getting beat. The overall player personalitly for my squad is ambitious i thought i would mention. I can take having a loss and sometimes i prefer to have one as it can help to address any weakness but i have never experienced this in 8 years of playing fm and i do realize 13 is a completely different animal to the other versions but is this the realism everyone was after?

This happens a lot in FM and football. It very much sounds like you didn't keep them focused, or they may well have bottled it. Impossible to say which without looking at your side, but there are any number of reasons why they choked. Dont need team meetings just team talks will do it

Loss of focus and conditioning most likely. Very much sounds like end of season burnout. Good rotation in Jan/Feb can prevent this. keep your best players fresh for the big finish

With Man United, we played 10 games without conceding in the League then went on to lose the next three whilst conceding 6.

No because that isnt how football works. They dont just win because they are better, they win because they also have a probler game plan. A "lesser" but well drilled team can and fairly often will beat a "better" but less drilled team. Ask Madrid, they have lost almost all the games they have done, through a lack of focus. The big managers dont get the big bucks for just having the big bucks, but for their ability to handle each and every type of opposition. The idea that you just throw 11 players on a pitch and they get on it with is a falsehood. Barcelona in fact explicitly dont do this. Even the galacticos had some basic ideas, even then they won nowt.

They will always have a game plan regardless of who they are up against. Barca scout/watch every team they play. They then player higher, wider, deeper, faster, attack a specific point etc, depend on where they feel the percieved weaknesses are (sound a bit like shouts?). This can be put to just about every competent manager and side in football. You cant have the players without the plan and vice versa

Match engine cant tell the difference between you and AI, so almost certainly tactical/management issue you are having if they are splitting you.

Yeah but I'm not exactly just picking 11 players and telling them to get on with it. I still choose a tactic, just that it focuses more on the players and their strengths than the opposition. The other team might try to counter this but I'm expecting the sheer superiority I have to overcome a much lesser side 9/10 times. Obviously this wouldn't apply if the team was closer to the ability of my team.

In future I would love to see more wideplay options, and if I remember right, PaulC wants to develop this, but I doubt we will see this in FM13.

It is possible to target players in certain areas, thought not as intuitively as the way we do other things in the TC. will do a thread on it at some point.

Definitely interested in learning about targeting players. I'll keep an eye out for that thread. :)

My team is 9 unbeaten, won 4-0 away last match, conceded a total of 3 goals in 13 league games, 2nd in league and the club's hierarchy are losing patience! SI say its not scripted, so this must be one of its stupidest flaws....along with my Assistant manager expecting my League 1 team to be beating La Liga and Serie A teams every pre-season!

i just can't win lol unless i go all the best teams not playing this game anymore on the verge of playing frisby with it ... surely im not the only person to feel like this?

This happens a lot in FM and football. It very much sounds like you didn't keep them focused, or they may well have bottled it. Impossible to say which without looking at your side, but there are any number of reasons why they choked. Dont need team meetings just team talks will do it

So my team won the league having only lost two games all season with 8 left to play and then bottled it? bottled what?... Seems very realistic . Whats the point of a team meeting if your not supposed to use it? I knew whatever i said you would come out with some rubbish as to why it went wrong. Im not new to the game and i have never experienced anything like this in the game or in real life. You win the league and then lose 8 matches in a row and a semi final vs wolves (beat comfortably in league twice) after already beating man u and chelsea. It felt as if Si turned the you must lose switch on and left it there.
Oh well ive given up on the game when doing well with a team its awful and not fun anymore dont know how people must feel who have had no success.

So my team won the league having only lost two games all season with 8 left to play and then bottled it? bottled what?... Seems very realistic . Whats the point of a team meeting if your not supposed to use it? I knew whatever i said you would come out with some rubbish as to why it went wrong. Im not new to the game and i have never experienced anything like this in the game or in real life. You win the league and then lose 8 matches in a row and a semi final vs wolves (beat comfortably in league twice) after already beating man u and chelsea. It felt as if Si turned the you must lose switch on and left it there.
Oh well ive given up on the game when doing well with a team its awful and not fun anymore dont know how people must feel who have had no success.

Actually I was genuinely trying to help you, this isnt new to FM13. It's usually one of the reasons I posted above. But I'll leave you to keep losing the end of the season then.

Actually I was genuinely trying to help you, this isnt new to FM13. It's usually one of the reasons I posted above. But I'll leave you to keep losing the end of the season then.

I dont need any help thank you and never asked for any i know how to play and have done on all previous versions im posting my frustrations. I loaded the game back up and replayed the games doing everything the same and i won all of them. Must of just been unlucky first time round nothing to do with players losing motivation or bottling it or me using team meetings incorrectly . I feel people use genuine footballing reasons for things going wrong in the game to brush over the fact the game relys on luck if u think by managing your squad in a certain ways will bring good bad results your wrong luck is a big part of it with all these changeable variables in the game.
I have played a full season on two laptops side by side sending the file to the other at kick off before each match. Each game i will do everything the same and recorded the results and the other teams in the league to see how much i am effecting my team. At the end of the season i had two league tables one I finished the league winning the other i finished 16th both in the championship takes all the sense of achievement out of the game when this can happen for me.

I dont need any help thank you and never asked for any i know how to play and have done on all previous versions im posting my frustrations. I loaded the game back up and replayed the games doing everything the same and i won all of them. Must of just been unlucky first time round nothing to do with players losing motivation or bottling it or me using team meetings incorrectly . I feel people use genuine footballing reasons for things going wrong in the game to brush over the fact the game relys on luck if u think by managing your squad in a certain ways will bring good bad results your wrong luck is a big part of it with all these changeable variables in the game.
I have played a full season on two laptops side by side sending the file to the other at kick off before each match. Each game i will do everything the same and recorded the results and the other teams in the league to see how much i am effecting my team. At the end of the season i had two league tables one I finished the league winning the other i finished 16th both in the championship takes all the sense of achievement out of the game when this can happen for me.

The game doesnt rely purely on luck at this point. I have never blown the last 10 games of any season ever. And yes managing your squad on and off the pitch in certain ways does help bring you results, or can cost you results. This is an actual fact, unless you believe you know more about how the game was designed than PaulC and and wwfan.

Every single season and every single save, I have made sure my biggest players are well rested, and my squad not only have good morale but are high focused. Since I tend to buy ruthless driven characters, my teams talk change to reflect the importance of closing out every game, become more demanding. "lesser" players who have big game attributes are always on the team sheet because I know they are far less likely to choke when the pressure is on.

Last edited:
The big massive flaw in your test is that you don't account for the opposition, who are in essence a random factor

Definitely interested in learning about targeting players. I'll keep an eye out for that thread. :)

It will be in the tactical discussion thread this weekend. Is it specifically the tactical aspect of overloading a player you are looking for?

The game doesnt rely purely on luck at this point. I have never blown the last 10 games of any season ever. And yes managing your squad on and off the pitch in certain ways does help bring you results, or can cost you results. This is an actual fact, unless you believe you know more about how the game was designed than PaulC and and wwfan.

Every single season and every single save, I have made sure my biggest players are well rested, and my squad not only have good morale but are high focused. Since I tend to buy ruthless driven characters, my teams talk change to reflect the importance of closing out every game, become more demanding. "lesser" players who have big game attributes are always on the team sheet because I know they are far less likely to choke when the pressure is on.

I have never lost 8 games in a row at any time whilst i have played fm over the past 8 years let alone just after my team has just won the league and lost only two games all season. Do u really believe this is my players choking under the pressure of having 8 games to play where the results dont really matter as the league title is in the bag? I would of thought they would of started to choke before then as some teams do in real life, teams dont win the league and then choke they may get complacent and their form wont be as good as early in the season but 8 loses out of 8 is a bit much.

The game doesnt rely completely on luck im guessing if u played with 10 up front and just your goalie you would lose alot more than win for example. You have to manage your team using common sense and play as realistically as you can to get the best results but you can still do things the supposed right way and still lose or win which to me is luck.
My test was to replicate how you play a season on the game i was not trying to work out how the match engine works or anything like that im not an expert at that kind of thing. I wanted to see if it was my management style or tactics ect that were the reason behind my teams great form but after doing this i was just left feeling like luck is a big factor in the game which to me takes that sense of achievement away.

I have never lost 8 games in a row at any time whilst i have played fm over the past 8 years let alone just after my team has just won the league and lost only two games all season. Do u really believe this is my players choking under the pressure of having 8 games to play where the results dont really matter as the league title is in the bag? I would of thought they would of started to choke before then as some teams do in real life, teams dont win the league and then choke they may get complacent and their form wont be as good as early in the season but 8 loses out of 8 is a bit much.

The game doesnt rely completely on luck im guessing if u played with 10 up front and just your goalie you would lose alot more than win for example. You have to manage your team using common sense and play as realistically as you can to get the best results but you can still do things the supposed right way and still lose or win which to me is luck.
My test was to replicate how you play a season on the game i was not trying to work out how the match engine works or anything like that im not an expert at that kind of thing. I wanted to see if it was my management style or tactics ect that were the reason behind my teams great form but after doing this i was just left feeling like luck is a big factor in the game which to me takes that sense of achievement away.

To lose 8 of 8, then more than one thing would have gone wrong. But given that your approach on the surface seems solid (having done so well for the majority of the season) a mental issue is always a factor, whether they choke, or simply switch off. Luck is a factor in any match, as it is in real life. But good set ups and management minimise how much you have to rely on luck to go your way. Losing 8 from 8 isnt just bad luck, something else has gone wrong.

Totally agree with you mate. Your little experiment at playing the same save side by side on separate computers just highlights the total randomness of the game and just leaves you thinking that there's no skill whatsoever involved in the game anymore.

I know SI totally deny it, but it does, at times, seem totally scripted. As I mentioned in an earlier post, being 2nd in the league after 13 games, being unbeaten in the last 10, having conceded only 3 goals all season and winning 4-0 away from home in my last match should not produce a message saying the board are losing patience and that a positive result in our next game is vital to save my job!

It just seems so scripted and designed to create pressure in order to destroy morale and to force you into changing successful tactics. The game seems to hate any kind of consistency and seems **** bent on doing anything it can to prevent it. But when you put this to them it's "oh, you must have promised to win the league or been knocked out of cup or overspent".

I'm in League 1, no transfer budget. The board TELL ME they expect to win the league! How do you overspend when you've got nothing to spend? I got knocked out of the cup by higher league opposition! So all of their logical arguments for the stupid message I get whenever I'm doing well don't stand up at all!

To be honest, I'm getting totally bored and peed off with a game I used to love playing. I will never resort to managing Man U, Chelsea, Barca and the like because that is no challenge at all. It seems all the wonder tacticians on here create all their tactics using only these teams, so no wonder their tactics are successful!

Totally agree with you mate. Your little experiment at playing the same save side by side on separate computers just highlights the total randomness of the game and just leaves you thinking that there's no skill whatsoever involved in the game anymore.

I know SI totally deny it, but it does, at times, seem totally scripted. As I mentioned in an earlier post, being 2nd in the league after 13 games, being unbeaten in the last 10, having conceded only 3 goals all season and winning 4-0 away from home in my last match should not produce a message saying the board are losing patience and that a positive result in our next game is vital to save my job!

It just seems so scripted and designed to create pressure in order to destroy morale and to force you into changing successful tactics. The game seems to hate any kind of consistency and seems **** bent on doing anything it can to prevent it. But when you put this to them it's "oh, you must have promised to win the league or been knocked out of cup or overspent".

I'm in League 1, no transfer budget. The board TELL ME they expect to win the league! How do you overspend when you've got nothing to spend? I got knocked out of the cup by higher league opposition! So all of their logical arguments for the stupid message I get whenever I'm doing well don't stand up at all!

To be honest, I'm getting totally bored and peed off with a game I used to love playing. I will never resort to managing Man U, Chelsea, Barca and the like because that is no challenge at all. It seems all the wonder tacticians on here create all their tactics using only these teams, so no wonder their tactics are successful!
The game isnt scripted.

A couple of things you describe are actually bugs. have you ever raised them as such?

Picking up on another point. I got really peed off and put 10 up front! Obviously I lost, but not as heavily as you would logically expect, because the opposition couldn't work out how to stay onside most of the time! Reallity? What reallity?

Back