Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
This entire game is ******* me off. It doent matter what team I am, it ends up beeing a complete joke. Just started a save with Bayern Munich, playing with a 451 tactic, that i've spent hours making. And no one is doing what i want/tell them to do via my tactics. I tell them to pass deep, to mark this and that player, do this and that etc. and nothing seems to work. It's like im managing a bunch of retards.
And why does it take forever for my players to adapt to my tactic??

So far i've only played one full season in fm13, usually because i go absolutely mad about a month in, and delete the save.... Grrr.

It doesnt happen in real often because most teams are well prepared, same way it doesnt happen in game for a lor of users because they themselves are prepared. That said; Everton Villa is a good example. And Saints nearly did a complete job on United.

You've assumed form means you are going to turn up and win. Effectively complacency 101, and you got spanked for it. The fact that the bold is a usual issue for you is a massive warning sign about your approach. I just made this point to another user earlier. We all play the same game, yet the why do some have this issue, and some never do, the difference generally comes down to the user.

There is nothing predictable or unavoidable about, so if you are suffering constantly then you need to change any number of things. Given that we havent seen your setup any specific advice is impossible, but this generall happens to people, pushing up creating huge numbers of relatively one dimensional chances, and eventually getting pick off on the counter, which is one of the most dangerous attacks (in game and real life) because the team being countered is exposed, on the back foot, usually outnumbered and the shot taken is generally under no heavy pressure.

Please don't accuse me of not being prepared! After struggling for so long and finally realising what I was doing wrong on my 8 previous saves, I did actually work out what was required in this game. Which is good preparation, analysis of your opponents, appropriate training, opposition instructions and team talks etc etc. This resulted in my first promotion with just 5 defeats and only 22 goals conceded in 46 games. This season, with a little more quality added, I am again pushing for promotion, losing just 5 so far of 27 games and again conceding well below a goal a game. Considering that my defenders are ranked 21st for marking, tackling and positioning, I think i've done incredibly well to have the best defensive record in my league for 2 seasons in succession! Does that sound like I'm not preparing correctly and getting my tactics spot on? There is definitely no complacency on my part as I do everything I can to guard against it.

What I can't control is the game itself deciding now and again that the team at the top of the league is going to be complacent, regardless of preparation, when it plays the bottom club!

The 30 shots to 1 scenario was a hypothetical one based on screen shots from other users experiencing the same problem. As it happens, my set-up is very controlled. I use a balanced, standard approach which is aimed at limiting the opposition's creativity by pressing them in all areas, trying to keep possession and also to win it back as quickly and as high up the field as possible after we lose it. Consequently the opposition are able to create relatively few chances. Winning the ball back high up the field also helps to create chances for my forwards. So it's not the gung-ho approach you suggested, much the opposite in fact!

Please don't accuse me of not being prepared! After struggling for so long and finally realising what I was doing wrong on my 8 previous saves, I did actually work out what was required in this game. Which is good preparation, analysis of your opponents, appropriate training, opposition instructions and team talks etc etc. This resulted in my first promotion with just 5 defeats and only 22 goals conceded in 46 games. This season, with a little more quality added, I am again pushing for promotion, losing just 5 so far of 27 games and again conceding well below a goal a game. Considering that my defenders are ranked 21st for marking, tackling and positioning, I think i've done incredibly well to have the best defensive record in my league for 2 seasons in succession! Does that sound like I'm not preparing correctly and getting my tactics spot on? There is definitely no complacency on my part as I do everything I can to guard against it.

What I can't control is the game itself deciding now and again that the team at the top of the league is going to be complacent, regardless of preparation, when it plays the bottom club!

The 30 shots to 1 scenario was a hypothetical one based on screen shots from other users experiencing the same problem. As it happens, my set-up is very controlled. I use a balanced, standard approach which is aimed at limiting the opposition's creativity by pressing them in all areas, trying to keep possession and also to win it back as quickly and as high up the field as possible after we lose it. Consequently the opposition are able to create relatively few chances. Winning the ball back high up the field also helps to create chances for my forwards. So it's not the gung-ho approach you suggested, much the opposite in fact!

The game doesn't randomly decide this, not by any means. Complacency in your side doesnt randomly pop it, it builds up over time, and thus is genrerally avoidable.

I never said gung ho. But you are winning the ball high up the pitch, and pressing very high, that is a very aggressive approach, any mistake in your pressing allows for acres of space on the counter. You will restrict most sides to few shots, but the few they will get on the break will tend to be very good ones, as they have acres of space to attack behind your back line. That is the nature of a high pressing game. Everything is a trade off.

There is a reason why not that many teams play a a persistent pressing game, and why even fewer can do it for 90 minutes. And fewer still who can do it consistently over an entire season.

Your defenders are ranked 21st for marking, tackling and positioning (im hoping at the very least they are strong in anticipation pace and decison making?), and you are playing a high, heavy pressing game? Can you not see the inherent risk in that? The demands of that kind of play is exceptionally high, and you are doing it with defenders who arent particularly good enough, really you should be pleased that its' been this successful so far. You took tactics into consideration, but did you take your players? In terms of attributes both hidden and seen? If any of your players lack the ability to be consistent, it creates a weakness. Players who are not up to scratch ability wise create a weakness. Enough factors come together for any one match, and you can lose, and lose heavily

Given that as you say you are generally successful, but that your defenders are not actually up scratch, can you not see why a complacent display, or any kind of off day, inconsistent players, or sheer bad luck would see your side get utterly humped?

You play an approach that carries a relatively high amount of risk for your defenders. One that requires your players to be focused and consistent at all times, something that can be difficult in game and in real life. In your approach there is little room for failure in your defenders, you are asking from players who cant necessarily deliver all the time. Granted, much better defensive players for that kind of player will see less of this. But none of this is unexpected or particularly harsh.

I woulnt neccesarily change it, I'd absolutely accept there will be times that it will backfire, and occasionally spectacularly so. at least until i get a better defensive line.

In short: Buy better defenders.

Last edited:
Few things; Contract negotiations are terrible, mediocre players requesting 100k+ p/w. Interacting with players is pointless, almost every player sooner or later wants a new challenge, it's stupid and when you offer them to cancel their contract which expires at the end of the season they go on a defensive and ask why you're forcing them out of the club. Youth recruitment and Feeder clubs are useless, you get one or two good players come through in about 10 seasons and 99.99% of the time your chairman is incapable of finding a suitable feeder club. Also teams never approach your staff anymore, I remember in FM2012 other teams were always approaching my coaches, which was a pain in the **** but still it was realistic. In 12 seasons so far only Carragher has been headhunted to be the Newcastle manager in my Liverpool save, not Gerrard, not Fowler, not Reina, not Xabi Alonso. Also it also baffles me how Lucas has decided not to stay in football when he's one of the definite Liverpool players in the Liverpool squad that would go into coaching. All minor faults that make the game nearly unbearable, faults which I thought would have been ironed out with the beta being released first. Also anyone else noticed the Footballer of the year award being incredibly biased towards Messi up until he retires? Tbf he could go a season injured and still get the award. Another thing I just remembered if a team had one of the best youth recruitment networks in the world then they would expand much further than the region they are in.

Just seen on the 3D match viewer an opposition player quite blatantly take out one of my key men off the ball. It would've been right in the referee's line of sight, and the referee gave nothing at all. Had to sub the player off too. Disgraceful.

5mins to go 1-0 up, my keeper takes a goalkick and passes straight to their striker

2 games to go, 2nd in the table, fighting for automatic promotion. 6 games unbeaten, 5 games without conceding, thrashing everyone in our path. So, of course, when we have a chance to take top spot, my in form players of course play with no confidence, don't pay attention to instructions and completely forget how to play football. Concede one of those flukey goals where your goalkeeper decides he doesn't need to stay on his line for any reason and their winger "miraculously" manages to slice a cross straight into the top corner from 40 yards out way out on the touchline. We then collapse from there.

Play offs it is then and, judging by that performance, we've got no chance of promotion.

Last edited:
This.
o6sxbSs.jpg

The game doesn't randomly decide this, not by any means. Complacency in your side doesnt randomly pop it, it builds up over time, and thus is genrerally avoidable.

I never said gung ho. But you are winning the ball high up the pitch, and pressing very high, that is a very aggressive approach, any mistake in your pressing allows for acres of space on the counter. You will restrict most sides to few shots, but the few they will get on the break will tend to be very good ones, as they have acres of space to attack behind your back line. That is the nature of a high pressing game. Everything is a trade off.

There is a reason why not that many teams play a a persistent pressing game, and why even fewer can do it for 90 minutes. And fewer still who can do it consistently over an entire season.

Your defenders are ranked 21st for marking, tackling and positioning (im hoping at the very least they are strong in anticipation pace and decison making?), and you are playing a high, heavy pressing game? Can you not see the inherent risk in that? The demands of that kind of play is exceptionally high, and you are doing it with defenders who arent particularly good enough, really you should be pleased that its' been this successful so far. You took tactics into consideration, but did you take your players? In terms of attributes both hidden and seen? If any of your players lack the ability to be consistent, it creates a weakness. Players who are not up to scratch ability wise create a weakness. Enough factors come together for any one match, and you can lose, and lose heavily

Given that as you say you are generally successful, but that your defenders are not actually up scratch, can you not see why a complacent display, or any kind of off day, inconsistent players, or sheer bad luck would see your side get utterly humped?

You play an approach that carries a relatively high amount of risk for your defenders. One that requires your players to be focused and consistent at all times, something that can be difficult in game and in real life. In your approach there is little room for failure in your defenders, you are asking from players who cant necessarily deliver all the time. Granted, much better defensive players for that kind of player will see less of this. But none of this is unexpected or particularly harsh.

I woulnt neccesarily change it, I'd absolutely accept there will be times that it will backfire, and occasionally spectacularly so. at least until i get a better defensive line.

In short: Buy better defenders.

To be honest, I don't really know why my defenders are ranked so low! My central defenders are 15 & 14 for heading, 14 &14 for marking, 13 & 15 for tackling, 14 & 14 positioning and 15 & 13 for anticipation. I guess it must be the back-up players that bring down the average, although they don't look too bad either! The other teams must have some cracking defenders! Buying better ones, as in the real world, is near impossible on the budget I have!

The tactics I use were actually designed around the players I have! Virtually every player on the pitch is a bright green, so it's not the tactics not matching the players, or vice versa

Most of the pressing is done by the midfield and forwards. Most of the time the opposition are struggling to get over the half-way line!

I accept that the tactic will backfire once in a while, but logically you would expect that to happen against the more able sides, rather than the one's who are struggling at the bottom! I understand that if I'm regularly struggling against the poorer teams then I'm either not doing something I should be or something I'm doing is not quite right, that's obvious! The difficult thing is finding and correcting the problem! It can't be that big a problem as I can't remember ever being so consistent. What I can remember is that I've always had this problem against struggling teams in every version of the game!

View attachment 307266

Frustration isn't the word! You'll notice they had 1 shot hit the woodwork, it rebounded off the bar, with my goalkeeper playing a game of statues instead of football, straight to an oppositon forward who tapped it into an empty goal! Why do goalkeepers make no attempt at rebounds? He hadn't even dived for the original shot so was still on his feet when the ball rebounded off the bar!!!!

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't really know why my defenders are ranked so low! My central defenders are 15 & 14 for heading, 14 &14 for marking, 13 & 15 for tackling, 14 & 14 positioning and 15 & 13 for anticipation. I guess it must be the back-up players that bring down the average, although they don't look too bad either! The other teams must have some cracking defenders! Buying better ones, as in the real world, is near impossible on the budget I have!

The tactics I use were actually designed around the players I have! Virtually every player on the pitch is a bright green, so it's not the tactics not matching the players, or vice versa

Most of the pressing is done by the midfield and forwards. Most of the time the opposition are struggling to get over the half-way line!

I accept that the tactic will backfire once in a while, but logically you would expect that to happen against the more able sides, rather than the one's who are struggling at the bottom! I understand that if I'm regularly struggling against the poorer teams then I'm either not doing something I should be or something I'm doing is not quite right, that's obvious! The difficult thing is finding and correcting the problem! It can't be that big a problem as I can't remember ever being so consistent. What I can remember is that I've always had this problem against struggling teams in every version of the game!

And thats ranked 21st? I'd hate to see the other sides defenders then, wouldnt say that was too bad at all.

I hope you havent taken any of what I've said as a criticism of your ability, its not meant in that way at all.

The "problem" (i use this term loosely) is that you are play a relatively high risk, but also very high reward system. When it works, its excellent stuff, if there is a mistake, you will be punished heavily. It sound like the players simply cant keep totally switched on against "bottom feeders". That could partly be down to the players own innate personalities. (Here is my own personal issue with the game, we still don't get enough information about player hidden attributes, something I have asked to be considered for future releases). There is only so many times you can tell a player to not be complacent if they haven't actually got the attributes for it, they wont be able to keep it out.

A lot of how you describe your play I very much like. Its good logical system, not flawless (what system is?) but still very effective.

What about concentration, pace, acceleration?

As consistent as you are, i'd hesitate against making changes to the initial. In the short term I'd look to possibly create second tactic to deal with bottom. Each time you do concede or go badly, watch the players, try and spot which particular ones are at fault, and look at their motivation as an when you concede, watch exactly how the goal is conceded. Not a lot you can do without money player wise though.

Actually this very much reminds me of Arsenal about 3 season ago...

View attachment 307266

Frustration isn't the word! You'll notice they had 1 shot hit the woodwork, it rebounded off the bar, with my goalkeeper playing a game of statues instead of football, straight to an oppositon forward who tapped it into an empty goal! Why do goalkeepers make no attempt at rebounds? He hadn't even dived for the original shot so was still on his feet when the ball rebounded off the bar!!!!

Nothing you can do about that. Bug, pure and simple. Fixed in the patch list for the future update

Somehow managed to sign Robben on loan for my Ajax side in my 3rd season.

Gets injured for 2 months, 15 mins into his debut.

And thats ranked 21st? I'd hate to see the other sides defenders then, wouldnt say that was too bad at all.

I hope you havent taken any of what I've said as a criticism of your ability, its not meant in that way at all.

The "problem" (i use this term loosely) is that you are play a relatively high risk, but also very high reward system. When it works, its excellent stuff, if there is a mistake, you will be punished heavily. It sound like the players simply cant keep totally switched on against "bottom feeders". That could partly be down to the players own innate personalities. (Here is my own personal issue with the game, we still don't get enough information about player hidden attributes, something I have asked to be considered for future releases). There is only so many times you can tell a player to not be complacent if they haven't actually got the attributes for it, they wont be able to keep it out.

A lot of how you describe your play I very much like. Its good logical system, not flawless (what system is?) but still very effective.

What about concentration, pace, acceleration?

As consistent as you are, i'd hesitate against making changes to the initial. In the short term I'd look to possibly create second tactic to deal with bottom. Each time you do concede or go badly, watch the players, try and spot which particular ones are at fault, and look at their motivation as an when you concede, watch exactly how the goal is conceded. Not a lot you can do without money player wise though.

Actually this very much reminds me of Arsenal about 3 season ago...

Yeah, the ranking of the defenders does seem a little wierd! I totally agree with you on the hidden attributes! It's like having one hand tied behind your back! Are these visible in the editor? And if so, would it be cheating to have a look, without changing them of course! Even though I could probably spot some inaccuracies, as I go and watch this bunch of under performers week in week out, for my sins!

Yeah, the ranking of the defenders does seem a little wierd! I totally agree with you on the hidden attributes! It's like having one hand tied behind your back! Are these visible in the editor? And if so, would it be cheating to have a look, without changing them of course! Even though I could probably spot some inaccuracies, as I go and watch this bunch of under performers week in week out, for my sins!

They can be seen in the retail editor

It happened again. 1 min to go, my keeper kicks it straight to their striker from a goal kick. Every other kick he's blasted it up front, why? twice in 2 games

OK so another thing I've noticed - I'm in the championship and a lot of teams bottom of the league have extremely good players (best in the league in some cases) but they're low down (21/22/23/24) and everyone beats them. When I play them they remember how good they're supposed to be and they batter me and nothing I do can change the game.

when you have 5 mill in your transfer kitty, want a player whos transfer listed at 30 mill to take u to the next level, u sell 3 players for 10 mill each, but the board reduce your money due to debt issues, so you now have, no world class striker cos u cant afford him, and your 3 players short. so now gotta get make shift players in on loan.

OK so another thing I've noticed - I'm in the championship and a lot of teams bottom of the league have extremely good players (best in the league in some cases) but they're low down (21/22/23/24) and everyone beats them. When I play them they remember how good they're supposed to be and they batter me and nothing I do can change the game.

Glad it's not just me! I'm in the championship too. Cardiff are bottom, whereas they are winning the real thing by a mile! Anyway...I'm top of the league and they come to my place and are 3-0 up in 50 minutes! Check out previous posts and replies, they may be of some help.

Back