Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
Pfft..

I see no-one has actually told me how to stop crosses from coming..

Just again, telling me it's "my tactics, it's me".

FYI, I have used Defending Set-Pieces before to no effect. I haven't just decided to quit the game without trying, jeez.

You didnt ask though did you?

Nor have you told us anything about your side or how you line up etc. And if you dont think that is pertinent information then no wonder you concede constantly from set pieces/crosses.

need to agree that crosses are a bug , every goal i concede is from a cross or corner. I am Mansfield and got promoted every season then when i get to Premier League which i finished 8th first season i concede from crosses all the time. if its our tactics..........cmon tell us all how to stop goals from crosses then cause i know you cant.

Again: You havent told us anything about your side or how you line up etc. And if you dont think that is pertinent information then no wonder you concede constantly from set pieces/crosses.

If you think its that simple as just saying "tell us how to stop conceding" then its little suprise you are conceding from crosses and corners. Like everything else in the game it requires a little thought.

I did once have a complaint from a friend that he was conceding from crosses literally every game. I looked at his team and lo and behold, he was using a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 with two very attacking wingbacks with mentalities maxed and given orders to stand off.

Think about it more clearly, tell us your tactics, and then consider whether you're resorting to hyperbole. If everything checks out, then perhaps, PERHAPS you've found a bug. It's incredibly unlikely, mind, since SI has an arseload of people around being dull, wearing glasses and looking like Tay Zonday who give them reports constantly on new bugs, and they're both a lot more knowledgeable than you and also totally fine with how crosses are at the moment.

My team does fine for most of the season but then towards the end they start messing up..what could be the cause? Same tactic throughout the season, no changes made.

I'm fairly certain team sbegin to adapt to your tactics and set up to counter you, try one of your back-up options... Works for me every time, also why the article say 'tinkerer (Manager) keeps opponents guessing. Teams are ready for your tactic, change it and take them by surprise.

How different does the tactic have to be? Because I have 2 tactics but they might be too similar? I mainly play an attacking style.

Its as easy to say its peoples tacts as it is to say you can stop them but you need more info lol......tell us how you set about stopping then in your tact

It can be simply changing you Dm to amc etc; it doesnt have to be massive

Mainly my tactic revolves around pushing an extra bloke into midfield so I have 3-6-1 instead of 4-1-2-2-1

Just shifting one player into a spot your opponent didn't expect can give them a horde of problems. Change doesn't need to be extreme :)

i have used everything from 3 cds to 5 at back... tried narrow, wide and normal. had fbs on every possible setting. played 5 defs 4 def mids n still conceded from crosses

Its as easy to say its peoples tacts as it is to say you can stop them but you need more info lol......tell us how you set about stopping then in your tact

So these are the three tactics I have. Meanwhile look at you guys jumping heading stats etc; Pile as much defenders as you want but if a forward is taller and better in those two, then you'll concede from crosses. How many crosses=Goals?

Ok, jaydens tactics:

Steam Community :: Wynters22 :: Screenshots

You'll find them there, most recently uploaded.

Other than that, on here I play these formations set them to default man marking, closing down etc; apart from "More expressive in creative freedom and 'shorter passing' all tactics are 'balanced' with Attacking

4-3-3

GK: Keeper
DR: Full Back (Support)
DC: Central Defender
DL: Fullback (Support)
DMC: Defensive mid (Defend)
MC: DLP (Support)
MC: AP (Attack)
RW: Winger (Attack)
LW: Winger (Attack)
ST: Poacher

3-2-1-3

CD-CD-CD (Central Defender)
DM-DM (Defensive Mids (Defend)
MC: AP Attack
Lw&RW Attack Wingers
ST Poacher

3-3-1-2-1

Cd-cd-cd (Same as usual) (Sidenote, all 14+ speed with 16+ jumping and heading)
RWB-DM-LWB (Wing backs in support, Dm in defend)
CM: AP Attack
Wingers: ATtack
Poacher

Practically I keep the same roles, I just move a few players elsewhere, and the whole tactic becomes something new.

As my screenies say, 30 goals from 38 matches last year, my defense works, and I haven't updated yet. I'd say 10 were crosses but being a keeper myself that's honestly pretty fair, crosses are the hardest thing to defend against.

My team does fine for most of the season but then towards the end they start messing up..what could be the cause? Same tactic throughout the season, no changes made.

Could be lots of things: overall fitness levels falling. Players could be becoming complacent, or conversely they could be crumbling under the pressure. The fatigue of the season could be causing then to make errors. Poor quality pitches and bad weather can disrupt certain play styles. Almost anything that can disrupt a season real life, can disrupt your season in game. And it might not have anything to do with your tactics.

So these are the three tactics I have. Meanwhile look at you guys jumping heading stats etc; Pile as much defenders as you want but if a forward is taller and better in those two, then you'll concede from crosses. How many crosses=Goals?

Ok, jaydens tactics:

Steam Community :: Wynters22 :: Screenshots

You'll find them there, most recently uploaded.

Other than that, on here I play these formations set them to default man marking, closing down etc; apart from "More expressive in creative freedom and 'shorter passing' all tactics are 'balanced' with Attacking

4-3-3

GK: Keeper
DR: Full Back (Support)
DL: Fullback (Support)
DMC: Defensive mid (Defend)
MC: DLP (Support)
MC: AP (Attack)
RW: Winger (Attack)
LW: Winger (Attack)
ST: Poacher

3-2-1-3

CD-CD-CD (Central Defender)
DM-DM (Defensive Mids (Defend)
MC: AP Attack
Lw&RW Attack Wingers
ST Poacher

3-3-1-2-1

Cd-cd-cd (Same as usual) (Sidenote, all 14+ speed with 16+ jumping and heading)
RWB-DM-LWB (Wing backs in support, Dm in defend)
CM: AP Attack
Wingers: ATtack
Poacher

Practically I keep the same roles, I just move a few players elsewhere, and the whole tactic becomes something new.

As my screenies say, 30 goals from 38 matches last year, my defense works, and I haven't updated yet. I'd say 10 were crosses but being a keeper myself that's honestly pretty fair, crosses are the hardest thing to defend against.

Considering the lack of wide cover, to concede only 10 goals from cross is very good. Only one of your formations has actual full backs and they aren't even given protection by their wingers.

I'm fairly certain team sbegin to adapt to your tactics and set up to counter you, try one of your back-up options... Works for me every time, also why the article say 'tinkerer (Manager) keeps opponents guessing. Teams are ready for your tactic, change it and take them by surprise.

They don't all adapt to your tactics over a season in that way (ie you dont have to create a new tactic every now and then). They do react to your increasing reputation and begin to be more defensive accordingly etc. So you have to be able to give things a little though on who to bypass them, whether its something as small as using a different type of player, and a change in role, a shout, or something as big as creating a new tactical approach I have one playing style, but 3 formations. I usually stick with my favoured on, but i will pick one of my others when needed ( also have the tag tinkerer)

Yep, that formation is my main one, once teams start to counter it I switch to a three man defence

Or if i have injuries in the flanks...

Either way I just leave it at a new one for 2-3 matches and switch back and teams are hopeless against it again.

I average 64% possession, so other teams dont really get the ball to cross ;)

And that makes sense, Barcelona-esque with teams 'parking the bus' per se?

Last edited:
Oh....and while I'm here......just had my striker go past their GK in the area, open goal tap in from 6 yards out centre of goal, but instead of pulling the trigger he waits for the defender to catch him and all I get is a corner!

That is a bug. I would flag that up. its rare but he should absolutely be shooting.

i have used everything from 3 cds to 5 at back... tried narrow, wide and normal. had fbs on every possible setting. played 5 defs 4 def mids n still conceded from crosses

Flicking arbitrarily through settings to find some kind of "perfect level" is not the way.

Again, what is your formation and playing style? What are you players like? what are they like in comparison to the other teams in the league? What overall style are you trying to achieve with your team?

Another little hint for people looking to mix up their tactics: it doesn't have to be with positional changes. For example, Mike and I play in two quite different ways. He changes things around with positional changes, whereas I look to make quite a few low-cost signings and buy some backup players who are drastically different in playstyle to my primary ones. Then, instead of changing position or role, I can influence how my team plays purely through the players involved.

You didnt ask though did you?

Nor have you told us anything about your side or how you line up etc. And if you dont think that is pertinent information then no wonder you concede constantly from set pieces/crosses.

Enlighten.

Please don't say tick Defending Set-Pieces because that been done to death.. View attachment 313966View attachment 313967View attachment 313968View attachment 313969View attachment 313963View attachment 313964

I put both my wingers to loosely mark the oppositions wingers to create a 2 on 1 situation, but still crosses come in. I put the opposition fullback on to close down always, but sometimes no-one closes them down until it's too late.

Keep in mind that I'm Brentford in the PL, I can't exactly go out and by better defenders.

Last edited:
Enlighten.

Please don't say tick Defending Set-Pieces because that been done to death.. View attachment 313966View attachment 313967View attachment 313968View attachment 313969View attachment 313963View attachment 313964

I put both my wingers to loosely mark the oppositions wingers to create a 2 on 1 situation, but still crosses come in. I put the opposition fullback on to close down always, but sometimes no-one closes them down until it's too late.

Keep in mind that I'm Brentford in the PL, I can't exactly go out and by better defenders.

Look at those 4 players, you are playing very very high up the pitch, with a very direct style, with a defensive line that isnt very good. Your wingers are AML and AMRs with attack duties, so they are providing zero cover to your full backs.

Laczko and Maloca are defensive liabilities, are these the ones at full back?

You point out yourself that brentford in the PL, you are actually asking more of you players than they can actually deliver. To be 8th is actually very good. Playing with such aggressve wingers requires your full backs to be pretty good for that level. Assuming that the two I mentioned are the full backs they are not.

Last edited:
Back