Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
I hate how twisted and biased this f**king game is! I can play the last 10 games playing a good passing game with solid tackling then in a crunch CL game my team forgets how to pass and wont tackle anyone! Th main reason I think it is biased is how many mistakes my team will make in one game to gift them just enough goals to knock me out! Seriously what is the point in setting up your team to play in a certain way only for your players to hand the game to the opposition making constantly stupid decisions that they have shown no signs of in the previous games! I have said it before and I stick by it the game is decided before you even kick off! Some games no matter how you set up for you will lose regardless of what you do...
I did see a quote from an SI dev who was explaining that the game did compute all information before a game kicked off and used that to provide the outcome. Someone did point out that this could sometimes make it difficult for player input during a game to affect the outcome. If what that dev said is true you could have a point I guess?

I did see a quote from an SI dev who was explaining that the game did compute all information before a game kicked off and used that to provide the outcome. Someone did point out that this could sometimes make it difficult for player input during a game to affect the outcome. If what that dev said is true you could have a point I guess?

Yes and no. Every time from the moment after kick off, you make any kind of change, its recalculated.

But it wouldn't lead to any bias incase, since the ME cant tell the difference.

But it wouldn't lead to any bias incase, since the ME cant tell the difference.

BS! Player gets f***ed all the time! If you control the game you maybe win 7 or 8 times out of 10 but when the opposiotion controls it wins 9/10!

BS! Player gets f***ed all the time! If you control the game you maybe win 7 or 8 times out of 10 but when the opposiotion controls it wins 9/10!

Actually its true. The Match cannot tell the difference between inputs, Its just a giant and incredibly sophisiticated "calculator" with no slant to either side.

Actually its true. The Match cannot tell the difference between inputs, Its just a giant and incredibly sophisiticated "calculator" with no slant to either side.

While this is obvious, the number of times you see your players making glaringly stupid mistakes outnumbers the AI players making glaringly stupid mistakes at least 2-1 in my experience and I don't think you can point to tactics as the issue here. It could be team talks (Because if you think about it the AI giving the team talks knows exactly how to get the best result out of every one of the players it is giving the team talk to) but I don't think a poor team talk will lead to my GK making passes straight to the opposition striker for a CCC and goal.

It is just very frustrating when your team makes a stupid mistake to go down 1-0 and then dominates the rest of the game only to come out of the game with a 1-1 draw, and then when you scold the player for his mistake they don't even know what you are talking about.

Not blaming the Match Engine, but it seems there is an inherent bias because the match engine and the opposition team and your own players are being run by the same AI. The AI knows instantly how to and when to react to everything that you can throw at them, the AI know exactly what the players want to hear to fire them up.

[/incoherant rant]

While this is obvious, the number of times you see your players making glaringly stupid mistakes outnumbers the AI players making glaringly stupid mistakes at least 2-1 in my experience and I don't think you can point to tactics as the issue here. It could be team talks (Because if you think about it the AI giving the team talks knows exactly how to get the best result out of every one of the players it is giving the team talk to) but I don't think a poor team talk will lead to my GK making passes straight to the opposition striker for a CCC and goal.

It is just very frustrating when your team makes a stupid mistake to go down 1-0 and then dominates the rest of the game only to come out of the game with a 1-1 draw, and then when you scold the player for his mistake they don't even know what you are talking about.

Not blaming the Match Engine, but it seems there is an inherent bias because the match engine and the opposition team and your own players are being run by the same AI. The AI knows instantly how to and when to react to everything that you can throw at them, the AI know exactly what the players want to hear to fire them up.

[/incoherant rant]

AI is more limited tactically and thus have less chance to mess things up. On the other hand, has less chances to over-reach by having great tactical ideas

Not true about team talks though, AI not necessarily that good. And its very limited on overall interaction success.

AI is less like to be baffled by overwhelming amount of choice available to player ( why i keep calling for a technical manual akin to TT&F)

How on earth does being limited tactically amount to passing the ball straight to the opposition striker. It is not like the GK is overwhelmed by choices. And to be honest, hitting a soft pass straight at the feet of the opposition should not be an option.

But let me get this straight.

If you specifiy what you want a player to do, and limit their choices your team will make less mistakes and likely any up with more success?

How on earth does being limited tactically amount to passing the ball straight to the opposition striker. It is not like the GK is overwhelmed by choices. And to be honest, hitting a soft pass straight at the feet of the opposition should not be an option.

But let me get this straight.

If you specifiy what you want a player to do, and limit their choices your team will make less mistakes and likely any up with more success?

I'm talking about mistakes in general. But you GK isn't any more inclined to make mistakes than theirs. Unless of course you are playing a game that leaves your keep under pressure. This slant or bias simply doesn't exist in the game. I've watch their keeper kick it to my forward, shake my head, and promptly go one up.

The AI only follows the TC and shouts, and the formations already in the game. it hasn't got the freedom to mess about like we do and come up with crazier ideas etc,. Consequently, you can pretty much tactically outwit it every time all things going well. On the other hand, you have more freedom to make tactical choices that are bad ones.

But my tactical decisions cannot be directly linked to my players making mistakes otherwise there is an inherent bias in the match enginge that makes the AI less mistake prone. (Even if it gives me an inherent advantage of more options)

I just fail to see how me having more tactical options than the AI (Undeniable) can lead to my players making more mistakes than the opposition. The two things should be mutually exclusive. The "mistakes" should be made by players who have low composure and decisions ratings. The kind of players who will be prone to mistakes regardless of tactical instructions. Just like someone who has 20 decisions and 20 composure at the back should not panic under pressure, again regardless of tactical instructions.

This slant or bias simply doesn't exist in the game. I've watch their keeper kick it to my forward, shake my head, and promptly go one up.

I have seen the same, I am not talking about the AI not making mistakes, because they do, it is more about the quantity of these mistakes, who they are being made by, and why they are being made. They seem to be completely out of the players control, at least from what you are saying.

Would love to have some kind of techincal manual released with the game to explain some of these things too.

But my tactical decisions cannot be directly linked to my players making mistakes otherwise there is an inherent bias in the match enginge that makes the AI less mistake prone. (Even if it gives me an inherent advantage of more options)

I just fail to see how me having more tactical options than the AI (Undeniable) can lead to my players making more mistakes than the opposition. The two things should be mutually exclusive. The "mistakes" should be made by players who have low composure and decisions ratings. The kind of players who will be prone to mistakes regardless of tactical instructions. Just like someone who has 20 decisions and 20 composure at the back should not panic under pressure, again regardless of tactical instructions.

I have seen the same, I am not talking about the AI not making mistakes, because they do, it is more about the quantity of these mistakes, who they are being made by, and why they are being made. They seem to be completely out of the players control, at least from what you are saying.

Would love to have some kind of techincal manual released with the game to explain some of these things too.

Of course poor tactical decisons can lead to a player making mistakes, regardless of how good they are.

If you play a 4-4-2 that doesn't give your defenders protection, they can and often will concede under press from the opposition because they are exposed. Case in point Manchester united. It doesnt matter that your defender is Vidic, there is only so much he can do.

Having 20 does not mean he can never get it wrong regardless of instructions

Last edited:
Players and tactics go hand in hand. A world class player can suffer if the system he is playing in is compromised. Or if he is being put under pressure by oppositions approaches. And that is just one reason why a player might make a mistake. For as many reason that exist in a real game in football, they pretty much exist in FM.

[/incoherant rant]

This quote has to be true, surely!

I just did a little experiment. My next fixture was against the team at the bottom of the league, on just 3 points. All their morale was poor or worse. The thing that really scared me was that their manager was my predecessor at my present club, which must form part of the AI's pre-match calculations. I played the game 3 times, using each of my prepared tactics in turn. All 3 tactics have completely different formations, styles and strategies. I let my assistant pick the team on each occasion. All 3 matches ended in draws. The first two were scoring draws in which my opponent scored a late equaliser. The last one was goalless.

I find that the average rating seems to be a good indicator. If the average rating is very close or in favour of the oppossition then they will get a result 9 times out of 10. The same doesn't seem to apply to the human manager. I've been involved in several games where I've been 0.4 or more ahead on average rating, but not won the match. I can't think of a single occasion where the AI has been that far ahead and not got the result.

This obviously proves nothing, but I still agree with the above quote. The AI has to know the game inside out, because IT IS the game! Granted, it can't come up with all the wacky tactics that we humans do, but it surely has a much better chance of finding a way to counter whatever tactic we may think up.

This quote has to be true, surely!

I just did a little experiment. My next fixture was against the team at the bottom of the league, on just 3 points. All their morale was poor or worse. The thing that really scared me was that their manager was my predecessor at my present club, which must form part of the AI's pre-match calculations. I played the game 3 times, using each of my prepared tactics in turn. All 3 tactics have completely different formations, styles and strategies. I let my assistant pick the team on each occasion. All 3 matches ended in draws. The first two were scoring draws in which my opponent scored a late equaliser. The last one was goalless.

I find that the average rating seems to be a good indicator. If the average rating is very close or in favour of the oppossition then they will get a result 9 times out of 10. The same doesn't seem to apply to the human manager. I've been involved in several games where I've been 0.4 or more ahead on average rating, but not won the match. I can't think of a single occasion where the AI has been that far ahead and not got the result.

This obviously proves nothing, but I still agree with the above quote. The AI has to know the game inside out, because IT IS the game! Granted, it can't come up with all the wacky tactics that we humans do, but it surely has a much better chance of finding a way to counter whatever tactic we may think up.

You're confusing the AI with the ME. How often and well each AI manager uses the TC and shouts is based on their attributes. So it actually doesn't know the game inside out. I think people give the AI more credit than its due

Same with team talks. Although it pretty much fails on player interactions. And on squad building.

Last edited:
I've only recently picked up FM13 so I don't know how's it been with the previous patches, but I'm getting very irked at my attackers (or anyone else) not being able to put away anything. Granted, I'm managing CFR Cluj in Romania, but still it's a decent team, champs league, drawing with Valencia, Arsenal (don't laugh, CL champions 12/13), PSG and so on.

I can create chances, shots on target, possession, crosses, headers, anything, but they can't really score.

"Even his manager's got his head on his hands"
"He really should have scored"
"That should have been a goal"
"An incredible miss"
What others are there, I'm starting to learn them by heart...

You're confusing the AI with the ME. How often and well each AI manager uses the TC and shouts is based on their attributes. So it actually doesn't know the game inside out. I think people give the AI more credit than its due

Same with team talks. Although it pretty much fails on player interactions. And on squad building.

Sorry about the confusion between AI and ME. Getting my Acronyms in a twist! It was late!

Based on the manager attributes thing, a 15 year old who takes the Man U job as his 1st step in management should get stuffed the majority of the time by teams like Wigan, who's manager has to have far superior attributes. Can you imagine Rooney or RVP taking orders from, or being motivated by, a 15 year old? I've always said that you should never be able to start this game with your first job being Man U or Barca or Real Madrid. Those jobs should be the pinnacle of a career, not the start! Then again, I guess the plastic fans would never buy the game in the first place if they had to manage Accrington Stanley before their "beloved" big 6 club!

Sorry about the confusion between AI and ME. Getting my Acronyms in a twist! It was late!

Based on the manager attributes thing, a 15 year old who takes the Man U job as his 1st step in management should get stuffed the majority of the time by teams like Wigan, who's manager has to have far superior attributes. Can you imagine Rooney or RVP taking orders from, or being motivated by, a 15 year old? I've always said that you should never be able to start this game with your first job being Man U or Barca or Real Madrid. Those jobs should be the pinnacle of a career, not the start! Then again, I guess the plastic fans would never buy the game in the first place if they had to manage Accrington Stanley before their "beloved" big 6 club!

But Accrington stanley players can get motivated by a 15 year old?

No need to apologise. But its point that needs clarifying, as many people believe they are the one and the same, and that's why you get so many people thinking the AI has an inherent advantage.

I don't see why it should the pinnacle at all, unless you are starting a journeyman save. I don't play LL football anymore, not since 2011 (Macclesfield FM10), when the long term squad builing capabilities of the AI get better, then might venture back, but as long as you can pick up cheap wonderkids, its merely a slight delay to the inevitable rise. But then I don't really play the game for same reasons as many people.

The problem is that sometimes you just want to play as your favourite side, regardless of who they are, why should anyone not be allowed to pick their side because they are successful? I cannot start any new FM without playing as Manchester United first, I usually have far too many theories first. The idea of needlessly drilling through lower league football no longer thrills me, been there done it. I personally dont find it interesting, rather go play as Napoli, or n this case start up as Stuttgart. Besides when you do spend time bringing a side through, I usually then have no intention of throwing away all that work at said club.

I also personally simply play too slowly these days (At best I will get about 8-10 seasons in these days), and its no longer the winning that interests me, but tactical and player development, how many real life theories can I replicate has become my main drive in the game (usually with the aim of writing on it). If I want something different I play a different league.

The point about how they react is where the rep comes in, but even then rightly so most of the top players aren't interested. I nearly had Wayne Rooney walk out on me in February, because rightly so I had achieved nothing in the game. Winning the CL, he now fawns over me and favours me.

Put it this way you play as the Blades, imagine they were a top 6 club. Much as you can play as others, you'd still be pretty annoyed not being able to start as your side. That's where the choice comes in. Of course when you start as a journeyman, you cant just be your favourite club if you set your rep as lowest.

Last edited:
But Accrington stanley players can get motivated by a 15 year old?

Obviously not! All I'm saying is that the game should be about a career and that it should have something built in to ensure you can't start at the top. You have to earn the right to manage a big club by being successful with lesser clubs. Where's the skill in going straight to a club packed with Galacticos and millions in the bank to buy more, then downloading someone else's tactic to ensure that you win every trophy on offer?

I have been using this tactic and formation for 5 seasons now with QPR and have never not had my 433 in my 3 tactics you are allowed to have...

it is the 4th March 2017 now and I got an email saying that we need to focus on tactics.. so I checked quickly to see what was up and to my complete amazement, my squad are only 30% fluid in my 433 tactic that I have not changed the formation in sine day 1!

I cannot put my finger on why this has happened, it really should not happen! I have also used this tactic 4 games in a row and use it 75% of the season!

Put it this way you play as the Blades, imagine they were a top 6 club. Much as you can play as others, you'd still be pretty annoyed not being able to start as your side. That's where the choice comes in. Of course when you start as a journeyman, you cant just be your favourite club if you set your rep as lowest.

But that's my point! Have something to aim for! Yes you want to manage your favourite team, so why not earn it?

I understand the reasons you give for starting as a big club. Obviously you think about the real-life game, analyze the way teams play and try to replicate that in FM. But surely that type of save should be one of the challenge modes rather than the norm?

Back