Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
First rule of FM, never make any kind of unforced substitution, let alone a defensive one, when you're trying to hang on to a lead! It just gives the ME an excuse to let the AI team score! I've kept players on the pitch at 50% rather than sub them 'cause I know exactly what would happen!

Are you serious? I've always tended to sub guys off if they've dipped below 70% and are not playing very well.

First rule of FM, never make any kind of unforced substitution, let alone a defensive one, when you're trying to hang on to a lead! It just gives the ME an excuse to let the AI team score! I've kept players on the pitch at 50% rather than sub them 'cause I know exactly what would happen!

That's not how the match engine works at all. I'd go so far as to say that's a terrible hard and fast rule to have, always judge each situation by its merits

Thestaggy, I know it wasnt your game but, the first thing I would have done is use the clear ball to flanks and get the ball forwards shouts, and also pass to feet. If in doubt hoof it out to feet. I'd also have pushed up the pitch.

I'd also have kept Carragher on over Coates, the latter isn't anywhere near as good mentally. In the same way a sub might not be fully switched on in a real game, this can happen in match. He might have been on 62% but hes a better player for closing out a game than Coates.

Are you serious? I've always tended to sub guys off if they've dipped below 70% and are not playing very well.

I'd pull a player off if he isnt playing well, if i felt I could get a better input off the bench, no matter the conditions. I make subs for all sorts of reasons, just because I want to.

Bladesman's rule there doesn't work because that isn't how the match engine works at all. And I think it's vitally important to point that out. People need to get away from this false logic that the game is out to get you or skews the ME against you. For one thing the Match Engine and the AI are two entirely different things.

Last edited:
Keeping players on the pitch at 50% or less is just...incredibly risky. they're going to be knackered therefore, the chances of making a gamechanging mistake rockets. As does the chance of an injury. Something I would never ever do, unless I'd run out of subs

Keeping players on the pitch at 50% or less is just...incredibly risky. they're going to be knackered therefore, the chances of making a gamechanging mistake rockets. As does the chance of an injury. Something I would never ever do, unless I'd run out of subs

Yes as condition falls, concentration and decisions reactions suffer, and the chance of injury increases hugely. so the balance comes do to, do you believe that your player on 50% is likely to close out a game better than a a fresh sub? Too many people don't realise how much subtlety there is in FM, they trying to be too reductive in their thinking, make everything black and white. In a lot of ways it's much much closer to real life than its given credit for. Its far more than a "complicated spreadsheet" and if people treat it as though its just that you will come unstuck very fast.

Yes as condition falls, concentration and decisions reactions suffer, and the chance of injury increases hugely. so the balance comes do to, do you believe that your player on 50% is likely to close out a game better than a a fresh sub? Too many people don't realise how much subtlety there is in FM, they trying to be too reductive in their thinking, make everything black and white. In a lot of ways it's much much closer to real life than its given credit for. Its far more than a "complicated spreadsheet" and if people treat it as though its just that you will come unstuck very fast.

I do remember when I first started playing the series-if I had a narrow 1 goal lead with about 10 minutes to go, I was terrified of making a sub in case it ruined everything and ended up losing lol. In the end it was the reverse that happened-kept the really tireed players on and ended up losing a few times. But that was when I started playing-that was the first lesson I learned and a mistake I've never repeated lol. downside is-when I'm into the latter stages and have a lead I spend the majority of the time distracted by fitness levels-especially if playing against a team loaded with pace.

It still baffles me people still see it as a spreadsheet based game. It's soooo much more. It's common sense, attention, thinking, prioritising. It's management as it should be. there's just too many things to list. I just can't wait for the next release. This one for me has been brilliant-which is why I've had to have lengthy break I was just playing too much until stupid o'clock in the morning lol. But I have the sneaking feeling the next one is going to be even better.

I do remember when I first started playing the series-if I had a narrow 1 goal lead with about 10 minutes to go, I was terrified of making a sub in case it ruined everything and ended up losing lol. In the end it was the reverse that happened-kept the really tireed players on and ended up losing a few times. But that was when I started playing-that was the first lesson I learned and a mistake I've never repeated lol. downside is-when I'm into the latter stages and have a lead I spend the majority of the time distracted by fitness levels-especially if playing against a team loaded with pace.

It still baffles me people still see it as a spreadsheet based game. It's soooo much more. It's common sense, attention, thinking, prioritising. It's management as it should be. there's just too many things to list. I just can't wait for the next release. This one for me has been brilliant-which is why I've had to have lengthy break I was just playing too much until stupid o'clock in the morning lol. But I have the sneaking feeling the next one is going to be even better.

FM's biggest flaw is that it isn't as good as it could be at showing you that all this is in the game. If people didnt visit a forum and get told about all this intricate stuff, they wouldn't even see it. And that's a shame.

Well, maybe it was a bit of sweeping generalization....UNDERSTATEMENT! I was just basing it on the odd time when I've conceded after making a sub. These occasions tend to stick in the memory more than all the times when I didn't concede, for obvious reasons! Having said that, I'm still very cautious when making defensive substitutions! It's probably based more on superstition and the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage than common sense and understanding of the game.
That reminds me....where are my lucky socks?....the new season kicks off in 7 weeks!

FM's biggest flaw is that it isn't as good as it could be at showing you that all this is in the game. If people didnt visit a forum and get told about all this intricate stuff, they wouldn't even see it. And that's a shame.

Couldn't agree more with that!

Most annoying thing on FM for me has to be what just happened.
Doing the pentagon challenge atm, just starting my third season after getting promoted to the premiership in africa.
Just played my first game of the season and won 3-1 after getting promoted, great result. FM then crashes and I lost almost up to a months transfers, loans friendlies and that match.
Luckily I have redone it and memerised the 2 loans and like 3 more transfers I got in. And I replayed the first match and won 4-1, I would have been soso annoyed if I didn't win again!
Anyone had a bad crash on FM before?

I used to have a lot of those in FM12. That's the reason I save before every game.

Well, maybe it was a bit of sweeping generalization....UNDERSTATEMENT! I was just basing it on the odd time when I've conceded after making a sub. These occasions tend to stick in the memory more than all the times when I didn't concede, for obvious reasons! Having said that, I'm still very cautious when making defensive substitutions! It's probably based more on superstition and the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage than common sense and understanding of the game.
That reminds me....where are my lucky socks?....the new season kicks off in 7 weeks!

For what it's worth, I'm less pro active about defensive changes. Because the whole idea about partnerships is also well replicated. So while I might throw in a new forward/wide player on in a tight game, I'm more cautious about doing the same to a new defender. It's not perfect, not by any means, but the more you try and put yourself into real managers shoes and work on the big picture, the more satisying, and easier it is. My experience anyway.

FM13 is a harder game, but I've found it easier than before.

But my god they need more information available. I shudder when I think about a new player in FM, learning curve must be nearly vertical if you dont have a pretty good grip on on real life football.

Illogical reactions to team talks get my goat! "You've done well first half, keep it up", half the team switch off! Players on a yellow card get "confused" when they are told to "calm down"! It would be nice if some of these little annoyances could be rectified in FM14. In fact the whole team talk thing needs a **** good looking at in my opinion.

Had a player once react badly to a Press Conference. We'd just be completely outplayed at home, and were lucky that it only finished 3-1 to the opposition. Naturally, I slam the performance in the post match press conference, my striker (who I was raging at throughout the match for standing around constantly doing eff all) had the little dark green PR by his name saying he was "disappointed" with what I had said. If he wasn't my best striker (and one of my few players scoring goals) I might have transfer listed him. Get annoyed with game's limited options for me to deal with BS that players, managers and agents come out with.

I've also noticed that loads of players get booked for diving but none get booked for time wasting, even though it's made to look ridiculously obvious on FM13! The free-kick or throw-in taker will just stand there motionless over the ball for ages....at least make it look a little less obvious!

Gets even worse when you see so much time wasting and the officials add barely any time on and then when there's even more time wasting in injury time, they blow on the dot.

But my god they need more information available. I shudder when I think about a new player in FM, learning curve must be nearly vertical if you dont have a pretty good grip on on real life football.

I know, right? Must be almost as bad for the kind of experienced player who ragequits because someone scored a goal!

I ve been playing this game for years. This year was the last time i buy this game. Shame on them. The best game is for loughs. The match engine sucks. No way to buy it next year. Waste of time and money. This games makes football look ridiculous. For example we had to wait five updates so that the problems in the match engine to be fixed. Yes guys the game was released on November but we had to wait until May to see it complete.

For me, it's gone to complete garbage again. I start well at a club, first 5/6 games go well, then suddenly the ME starts pulling out all the stops to screw you over. Players who were playing exceptionally well now constantly playing like they've been bribed. Horrendous refereeing decisions. Assistant manager talking BS about how I should tell the players they were unlucky despite playing like absolute ****. I keep seeing people who say that Overload works brilliantly to overcome HT deficits, yet for me it seems to just keep the same attacking ineptness but adds 10x worse defending. Give half time team talk giving the hairdrier, everybody is "fired up" yet absolutely no urgency is shown afterwards. The whole team just standing motionless letting the opponents pass it around with ease even in our own penalty area. I just had a match where we had just had a corner, my defenders were going back, one of them got the ball, looked straight at an opponent and passed it straight to him to set up a counter attack. Complete rubbish.

Back