Post Your Frustrations

• Thread starter Thread starter Aannddyy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 362K
Things I can't comprehend: my centre back ben turner gets moved to being an icon when he has been dropped and has played about 8 games, I meanwhile remain favored personnel in spite of the fact that I have won 2 europa leagues, 1 fa cup, 1 league cup and 1 euro super cup, in three years, with Birmingham City. Come on... The board meanwhile are content with my achievement of winning Birmingham's first ever treble and finishing 2nd to Man Utd.

It's ruining my enjoyment of this game

It's not so much a frustration as I can't be bothered to go into all the flaws I feel there is in the game as they are covered here by others 100x over.

It's more of a question and a slight frustration as I'm a pedant.

What is it with players and caps/goals... There is a ridiculous amount of players hitting near 200 caps on my game, I'm into the 2040s. It is a supreme rarity for players in real life to hit over 150 and happens once or twice a generation.

Surely this is something that wouldn't happen in the game, surely the code isn't programmed to increase the amount of international friendlies? I just don't see how this is happening, not sure if anyone else has spotted this.

One of my regens is 28 and already has 180 caps for Australia.

Another regen had 190 caps for Spain and 175 goals... I mean come on.

Overpowered AI manager half-time team talks... Playing as Chelsea with a far superior side against Swansea at home and 1-0 up at half-time, all over them. Then I tell them they can still improve and they are motivated and gain focus. But then out of nowhere Swansea score 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the second half and I lose 3-1. Then after the game it says summin like Laudrup inspires win. I means c'mon how unrealistic, maybe one goal maybe even two but 3 in 5 minutes???!!!! Totally unrealistic. Teamtalks are far too overpowered and the team's quality isnt took into account

Today I give up on fm 13. I play a wide 4-2-3-1 w/ Liverpool fc torprak n Coates cb, Kelly and Jose Enrique on FB. Mids consist of romulo defensive and Honda support isco cam with coutinho and sterling on wings borini Suarez and the psv Korean as strikers rotational. Str8 to the moaning I'm 6th and just lost after domination possession 65% to 35% and having14 shots 6 on target. Their cm walked around my defense as if it was Swiss cheese and scored the only goal. It's been happening all season like that to lower table teams they had 4 shots. I destroy euro teams but I can't get my league form righ. I just don't know anymore. Anyways I hope I have better luck in fm14 cuz 13 has been $h!t for me since the day I bought it.

First moan in this thread, probably won't be my last.

Such an unlucky end to my first season at Leeds, took them over in Jan 2nd season where they were in the playoffs. Stayed in the playoffs all year and beat Leicester in the first leg away 2-1. Second leg I go 1-0 down after Austin gets sent off. Use all my subs at ET then have someone injured and to top it off someone sent off. There goes my playoff run :(

Overpowered AI manager half-time team talks... Playing as Chelsea with a far superior side against Swansea at home and 1-0 up at half-time, all over them. Then I tell them they can still improve and they are motivated and gain focus. But then out of nowhere Swansea score 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the second half and I lose 3-1. Then after the game it says summin like Laudrup inspires win. I means c'mon how unrealistic, maybe one goal maybe even two but 3 in 5 minutes???!!!! Totally unrealistic. Teamtalks are far too overpowered and the team's quality isnt took into account

Team talks have standalone less impact than ever.

Nothing unrealistic about 3 goals in 5 minutes either?

You might be frustrated, but there is no nothing wrong with what happened here. Did you take into account that Laudrup might have shifted Swansea's mentality. Bear in mind the AI can use the full scope of the Tactics Creator.

To be honest I think this is a problem with the game overall, there are a lot of features that or either poorly explained or actually don't work in the way they would suggest. I feel that FM has not gotten more realistic over the years but has gotten more complicated to understand and as so has become harder. I was struggling but then I understood it's like any game and you just have to learn how to beat it. It doesn't do what it says on the tin.

It does do what it says on the tin, the problem is that its not explained well at all.

Team talks are incredibly in depth and they are not given the credit they are due. This is because SI in truth dont do a great job in explaining the concept behind it.

If you're just trying to beat the game rather than understand the concepts, FM will chew you up time and again.

Pointless features in the game... Tell the team to not get complacent when winning 1-0 and I always end up losing (ALWAYS!). I mean what is the point in having this if it never actually works and doesn't stop them getting complacent. Overload is another feature that never seems to work for me. Since playing FM12 I have never scored a single goal when changing to overload and always concede. Contain clearly states to not to try and score but I often score. Why have these features if they dont implement events in the game what they're meant to...??

You ever thought the losses might actually have nothing to do with complacency?

Team talks are not black and white, but entirely in the context of your team, the state of the current match, the opposition, the build up before the game, the results before the match, the personality of your squad, your relationship with the squad, your reputation, your approach in your press conferences. they are virtually never stand alone. A happy, green delighted, is not always a good thing, a red angry reaction is not always a bad thing.. There should be a consistent and coherent logic to your team talks in the same way you should have one with your squad building, tactical approach and how you buy players.

Overload merely exploited a flaw in FM12 because of no collision detection, which mean they could swarm forwards and literally run through a player. Now they actually have to jostle. more importantly you actually have to put some thought into getting numbers forward. Contain means they will be extremely risk adverse in what they do, at no point does it mean they will not score.

Overload and Contain are not features, but parts of the TC.

Your thinking is far too reductive towards FM, I wonder what is your overall strategy interms of tactics, man management, squad bulding and transfers?

Last edited:
The biggest issue with team talks isnt actually team talks but the lack of information you get about your squad personality. After your reputation, that is the next most important factor.

You ever thought the losses might actually have nothing to do with complacency?

Team talks are not black and white, but entirely in the context of your team, the state of the current match, the opposition, the build up before the game, the results before the match, the personality of your squad, your relationship with the squad, your reputation, your approach in your press conferences. they are virtually never stand alone. A happy, green delighted, is not always a good thing, a red angry reaction is not always a bad thing.. There should be a consistent and coherent logic to your team talks in the same way you should have one with your squad building, tactical approach and how you buy players.

Overload merely exploited a flaw in FM12 because of no collision detection, which mean they could swarm forwards and literally run through a player. Now they actually have to jostle. more importantly you actually have to put some thought into getting numbers forward. Contain means they will be extremely risk adverse in what they do, at no point does it mean they will not score.

Overload and Contain are not features, but parts of the TC.

Your thinking is far too reductive towards FM, I wonder what is your overall strategy interms of tactics, man management, squad bulding and transfers?

I totally agree with some of your points and am not denying that there are many other reasons to losing a game ,but, if there is a feature in the game (or parts of the TC) such as switching to overload then I at least expect to create a chance. In a real game if a team throw everyone forward (note that most of the time there isnt much thought about it, it's literally lump ball into box and throw everyone up) they will 9 times out of 10 create a few good chances, maybe not score, but have chances. But in MY SAVE I will do this (and I dont throw everyone forward I will leave one or two back) I don't even create chances and all that ends up happening is the players mess about passing the ball around defence (note that I have applied the 'pump ball into box' and 'get ball forward' shouts by now but they don't do what's asked of them.) and the other team will break away and score.

I also agree that this could be down to their personality and relationship with me, but at the end of the day, this is a game and if an option is there for me to click on to try and change the events of the game then surely the game has to try and adapt (I respect not always) to what I have chosen as it isn't real life and I cant explain to them that if I switch to overload then I want them to lump it forward.
I respect what you have said, that there are many factors that affect the game but there needs to be some sort of advice (be it from the assistant manager's feedback) in FM 2014 where the game tells you what you are doing wrong as at the moment I am playing games and I get results that I have no idea of what I have done wrong or right. E.g Beating Man City 4-0 one week and then losing 5-0 to West Brom the following week and I am left somewhat clueless as to why this happened as there are so many reasons as to what I could be. For me, and it seems many others, the link and communication between the game and the player is one thing that needs improving as you said in a previous reply.

I totally agree with some of your points and am not denying that there are many other reasons to losing a game ,but, if there is a feature in the game (or parts of the TC) such as switching to overload then I at least expect to create a chance. In a real game if a team throw everyone forward (note that most of the time there isnt much thought about it, it's literally lump ball into box and throw everyone up) they will 9 times out of 10 create a few good chances, maybe not score, but have chances. But in MY SAVE I will do this (and I dont throw everyone forward I will leave one or two back) I don't even create chances and all that ends up happening is the players mess about passing the ball around defence (note that I have applied the 'pump ball into box' and 'get ball forward' shouts by now but they don't do what's asked of them.) and the other team will break away and score.

I also agree that this could be down to their personality and relationship with me, but at the end of the day, this is a game and if an option is there for me to click on to try and change the events of the game then surely the game has to try and adapt (I respect not always) to what I have chosen as it isn't real life and I cant explain to them that if I switch to overload then I want them to lump it forward.
I respect what you have said, that there are many factors that affect the game but there needs to be some sort of advice (be it from the assistant manager's feedback) in FM 2014 where the game tells you what you are doing wrong as at the moment I am playing games and I get results that I have no idea of what I have done wrong or right. E.g Beating Man City 4-0 one week and then losing 5-0 to West Brom the following week and I am left somewhat clueless as to why this happened as there are so many reasons as to what I could be. For me, and it seems many others, the link and communication between the game and the player is one thing that needs improving as you said in a previous reply.

but you can explain to them ( though I know what you mean). lump it forward - get ball forwards shout

Oh dont get me wrong, if your issues are because you are not understand why things are not working due to a lack of feedback, then I am 100% with you.

The lack of feedback is the single biggest issue. It doesnt matter how many bugs you fix, if a player cant see why he is going wrong, he will quit long before he appreciates the subtlely of the team talks for example.

Disagree on the bold. MOTD overplays how often this happens, it doesnt actually happen that often over a large number of games.

Last edited:
but you can explain to them ( though I know what you mean). lump it forward - get ball forwards shout

Oh dont get me wrong, if your issues are because you are not understand why things are not working due to a lack of feedback, then I am 100% with you.

The lack of feedback is the single biggest issue. It doesnt matter how many bugs you fix, if a player cant see why he is going wrong, he will quit long before he appreciates the subtlely of the team talks for example.

Disagree on the bold. MOTD overplays how often this happens, it doesnt actually happen that often over a large number of games.

I 100% agree with the difficulty in understanding this game. From reading various forums it seems that the descriptions of instructions through TC are misleading and the problem for most of us players is that we take them for how they are written often leading to mistakes. I have also found tweaking one or two sliders makes a massive difference, I kinda take umbrage with this as you can be pulling your hair out wondering what to do for the sake of 1 notch on a slider. It needs to be clearer

Well from all the years I have been watching football I have seen countless teams scoring late goals and clear cut chances solely from overloading at the end of the game. Anyway, yes, my main problem and probably many others is seeing what I am actually doing wrong, and right. I feel, like I mentioned earlier, the best way for the game to get info to the player would be from the assistant manager. And because of this I am simply just trying anything to try and figure out what i'm doing wrong and it's affecting the team's familiarity with the tactics.

Well from all the years I have been watching football I have seen countless teams scoring late goals and clear cut chances solely from overloading at the end of the game. Anyway, yes, my main problem and probably many others is seeing what I am actually doing wrong, and right. I feel, like I mentioned earlier, the best way for the game to get info to the player would be from the assistant manager. And because of this I am simply just trying anything to try and figure out what i'm doing wrong and it's affecting the team's familiarity with the tactics.

Over load was too effective because of the lack of player collision. So now its at is more natural point, though I do think it can be improved as the match engine improves naturally.

I very much agree with you, about seeing what you are doing wrong and right. It's something I keep raising on the SI forums time and time again, and hopefully things like the assistant manager feedback will be much improved for FM14

Today I give up on fm 13. I play a wide 4-2-3-1 w/ Liverpool fc torprak n Coates cb, Kelly and Jose Enrique on FB. Mids consist of romulo defensive and Honda support isco cam with coutinho and sterling on wings borini Suarez and the psv Korean as strikers rotational. Str8 to the moaning I'm 6th and just lost after domination possession 65% to 35% and having14 shots 6 on target. Their cm walked around my defense as if it was Swiss cheese and scored the only goal. It's been happening all season like that to lower table teams they had 4 shots. I destroy euro teams but I can't get my league form righ. I just don't know anymore. Anyways I hope I have better luck in fm14 cuz 13 has been $h!t for me since the day I bought it.

This used to happen to me all the time with Liverpool. Then I improved my tactics and it doesn't happen any more. It's most likely a problem with your tactics. Keep trying, Liverpool are a very hard team to manage in FM13.

It does do what it says on the tin, the problem is that its not explained well at all.

Team talks are incredibly in depth and they are not given the credit they are due. This is because SI in truth dont do a great job in explaining the concept behind it.

If you're just trying to beat the game rather than understand the concepts, FM will chew you up time and again.

Is there a good guide on giving team talks that you would recommend?

I just gave a young striker his debut after 2 sub appearances as he has been on fire for the reserves since I signed him, having scored 8 in his 9 appearances for the reserves. So why, after his debut for the 1st team, do I get:

"Van der Meulen Finding it Tough: Koen Van der Meulen is no nearer to scoring his first goal for the club as the striker AGAIN failed to find the net against Aston Villa on Sunday. Van der Meulen HAS NOW PLAYED 16 MATCHES WITHOUT A GOAL and it does seem to be affecting his confidence."

I'm really fed up with getting nonesense messages like this, which obviously have some impact. No wonder there's problems with morale! I mean, his total games, incuding subs for the the 1st and reserves team combined only add up to 15....in which he's scored 8 times! So where the 16 matches goalless streak comes from is beyond me!

And here's another one! My star defender, for whom I turned down a £29.5 bid from Barcelona and who now is being trailed by Man U, Man C, Arsenal and PSG, seems concerned. He fancies a move to a bigger club. I tell him you can realise your ambitions here. He says he wants to play in the Champions League and when do I think we'll be able to qualify? The best answer available is "The end of next season".
So, you may ask, what's wrong with that? Well, for starters, he played in the Champions League this season, coz we qualified last season, plus we just finished 3rd in the EPL and thus qualified for next season's Champions League too! So 1, why is he asking stupid questions and 2, why is this game not letting me tell him that WE HAVE ALREADY QUALIFIED 2 YEARS IN A ROW!

Back