Post Your Frustrations

Why does every (exaggeration, but they're not at all rare, could be more than 50%, but have not counted so it might be a 5% only) match where I'm one down or need one goal gets the full whistle just as my team is running a counter with good looks to have chances of getting the goal?. Again and again, and even when I change from extended to full match in which it's supposed to show the whistling and walk to the locker room it just cuts out to the after game screen.

At least it's done the same to the AI a few teams. Hahaha! Eat it, comp! :P

Last edited:
Tell me about it mate, gets to the point where i do score then in quick succession the other team score 2 and we lose. Last game i played we had 29 shots and only 4 were on target, im like what the F***!

Yeah and even when you instruct your players to shoot rarely from long range they still ******* do it.

The game is a mess, the match engine is ******* brutal, not only is the issue we discussed a problem but the players are very hesitant. They stop running, stand still and spin on the one spot. Ai players are deadly user players are hopeless so in that regard the player ratings dont mean ****.

Is there another patch due or have they released their quota for this year?

Yeah and even when you instruct your players to shoot rarely from long range they still ******* do it.

The game is a mess, the match engine is ******* brutal, not only is the issue we discussed a problem but the players are very hesitant. They stop running, stand still and spin on the one spot. Ai players are deadly user players are hopeless so in that regard the player ratings dont mean ****.

Is there another patch due or have they released their quota for this year?

no patches

the game isnt a mess, the AI players are exactly the same us the user players because the match engine cant tell the difference between the two.

FM2011 has its limitations, but the match engine is actually pretty good and the problems you keep facing are less to do with the game and much more to do with your own actions. And you will face the same problems in fm12, 13 etc

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

it is actually ridiculous how often this happens

If you are creating chances like that, then you need to change your approach,

no patches

the game isnt a mess, the AI players are exactly the same us the user players because the match engine cant tell the difference between the two.

FM2011 has its limitations, but the match engine is actually pretty good and the problems you keep facing are less to do with the game and much more to do with your own actions. And you will face the same problems in fm12, 13 etc

FM11 is undoubtedly the greatest sports simulation ever, it's a staggering achievement, but this doesn't change the fact that pressure and complacency are designed to work together to make certain matches extremely difficult in order to maintain the "realism" of the occasional upset.

This is understandably frustrating since it is, in essence, rubberband AI and, if only occasionally, renders player input irrelevant.

I've played through several saves using a wide variety of tactical approaches and I invariably encounter matches like those people are complaining about whenever I hit first place and/or find myself several games into a winning streak. To the extent that it is so **** annoying and takes the fun out of the game for a lot of people, it is in the interest of SI as game designers to find a way to integrate upsets without making the match engine seem so obviously lopsided in front of the goal.

no patches

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

If you are creating chances like that, then you need to change your approach,

How about this happening numerous times a season, It doesn't just happen in this save it has happend in every save i have played. I have tried every well known tactic on this sight even made my own yet these types of games occur far too many times a season to be anywhere near realistic.

RangersvQueenofSthInformation_Overview.png

The game to me isn't anywhere near a sports simulation.

How about this happening numerous times a season, It doesn't just happen in this save it has happend in every save i have played. I have tried every well known tactic on this sight even made my own yet these types of games occur far too many times a season to be anywhere near realistic.

RangersvQueenofSthInformation_Overview.png

The game to me isn't anywhere near a sports simulation.

seen plenty of people post this and the fault isnt the game, frankly. 27 chances 9 on target = large number of poorly created chances. especially as you are clearly commiting many players forward and they will play on the counter. hitting a side on the counter inevitable will yield a better chance because most the side will out of position and committed.

In fact plenty f players have their side set up like Queen of the South, and its the AI who end up like rangers, forced in making a high number of poor shots.

if its happening numerous times a season then you are not doing enough as a manager

seen plenty of people post this and the fault isnt the game, frankly. 27 chances 9 on target = large number of poorly created chances. especially as you are clearly commiting many players forward and they will play on the counter. hitting a side on the counter inevitable will yield a better chance because most the side will out of position and committed.

In fact plenty f players have their side set up like Queen of the South, and its the AI who end up like rangers, forced in making a high number of poor shots.

if its happening numerous times a season then you are not doing enough as a manager

If i am not doing enough as manager then please tell me what i am doing wrong? how can i make my strikers score when on one on ones and not hit the keeper or balloon it wide. This happens regardless of player and stats.

If i am not doing enough as manager then please tell me what i am doing wrong? how can i make my strikers score when on one on ones and not hit the keeper or balloon it wide. This happens regardless of player and stats.

This is where i believe FM needs to improve, it can often be very difficult for people to spot where they are going wrong. and it ultimately leads to many frustrated players like yourself

I cant see exactly how are you are lined up, so this is very general

If you are creating that many chances and get hit on the counter, lower the pace of the game, slow the build up down using the shouts (retain possession) make them work hard to close you down (play wider), perhaps Lower strategy (switch to control/attack). Perhaps play with a deeper line, but move the ball forwards more quickly to prevent them getting back in numbers.

use the match analysis tool look at where your chances are being created

even checking the roles your player have is key make sure there is a unity

Last edited:
Sometimes strikers can be too offensive. Just because you are one on one, doesn't mean it's a good angle or there aren't better options.

I've seen plenty of examples in real life where a player has a clear cut chance but decides to rocket a shot at goal instead of making the more appropriate option to pass or hold up. Shooting does not equal scoring

And what brings me to this thread today? Well, my AC is broke and it's a good 80+ degrees in here with my cpu pumping out heat...ugh

Tactics aren't the only thing that affect player performance. There are a variety of factors that can make players play like garbage with a perfectly decent tactic. Morale and team talks are the most obvious example, but there are a lot of things going on under the surface that can affect player performance. Winning streaks and title challenges/defenses can have a profound effect on player performance, making it very, very difficult to score goals even when you use the "right" team talks and are using a tactic that functions well under normal circumstances. If your players are suffering penalties to Composure, Determination and/or Work Rate as a result of external factors, even the most iron clad tactic will appear flawed. Tactics and player performance are mutually dependent. No tactic will make up for ineffectual players just as great players won't perform well without an effective tactic. The pressure and complacency mechanisms make this clear.

This isn't necessarily a flaw in the game, but it is a real and clearly observable aspect of the game. Anyone who automatically insists "It's Yo' Tactics, Mate" is in denial. FM11 is great, but it certainly isn't perfect. There's a reason each iteration needs multiple patches, including long lists of adjustments to the match engine.

Last edited:
I use wolfsongs team talk guide and my team morale is sky high, i try to pick up players with as high determination, work rate and composure as possible well as good as my finances will allow. I won the treble last year so i am not posting and not being succesful i am just simply making an observation/rant :) of something i have noticed in a number of saves i have played.

I think i'll try to slow the play down a bit and see how that goes.

I use wolfsongs team talk guide and my team morale is sky high, i try to pick up players with as high determination, work rate and composure as possible well as good as my finances will allow. I won the treble last year so i am not posting and not being succesful i am just simply making an observation/rant :) of something i have noticed in a number of saves i have played.

I think i'll try to slow the play down a bit and see how that goes.

If that doesnt work, come back to the thread. Will try and help as much as i can, been there before and it makes you want to tear your hair out :)

First post on fm-base might as well be a frustration...

playing as Swansea away to Sheff Utd, 2nd game of the season. I go 2-0 down in 15 minutes. Second half team talk, we come out, go 3-2 up.

Fourth official shows 2 minutes of added time, Sheff Utd win 4-3. Goals in 90+1 and 90+5. FIVE. Worse than Trafford time.

Here s the thing. With my team, I played really well, tactics were fine, my defence was the beast in th league. But just til the end of January. Then everything collapsed. I only sold 1 player and bought 1 player so dont know what happened. My defence was very leaky, havent won 15 games go dont know what is this. I had to completely change the tactic to get out of this spell. And have to mention that I was Burnley, who has probably the best defence partnership in Championship in Bikey and Carlisle. At the end of the season I was afterall promoted via playoffs. But was really frustrating.

one off my biggest defeats. first was losing to Leicester 7-1. but this one was hard to swallow

wtfniko.jpg

*niko is overrated in FM11

Apparently, in my game, the 2014 World Cup Final was contested between Ivory Coast and Scotland, Scotland won it 2-0.

Football Manager, the most realistic football sim available, according to them ofcourse. So in the world of FM: Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands and Germany will not even reach the final, despite the fact we can all be sure that Brazil will win it (it's being hosted in Brazil for christ sake). I had to deleted the game save and start again, obviously was just ridiculous.

Back