PSN details stolen

It's going to be tough to get the network back online ever again. The hackers have our passwords as well as other data, i can't really think of a merthod that allows Sony to get the network back online and only allow genuine users to have access to thier accounts if the hackers have all of the same info.

Jake they are working on that update so i presume that will have something to do with that

I'm of the belief that there is not a chance that Sony are going to keep PSN off indefinitely, it would be absolute suicide in the video gaming market for the Playstation 3. Everybody interested in online play would flock to purchase an XBox360, and they're surely aware of this.

Which is why (despite what they say) they will take a risk by going live again and asking users to change passwords, how is that secure if the hackers have your current password and your registered email address? Plenty/most/the majority of people use the same password for everything so its safe to say the hackers have access to lots of peoples email accounts too, meaning any changes to passwords can be intercepted by the hackers too.

Let's not forget that this is a company who stored our data IN PLAIN TEXT on their servers, that is the equivalent of leaving the vault door wide open in a bank. The fact that they are moving their network infrastructure to a more secure location suggests this was either at least partly an inside job, or hackers managed to physically break into their HQ and gain access directly at source. Pretty poor stuff from Sony, i'm glad i dropped PSN in favour of XBL when i did tbh.

good new everyone

BBC: Off The Record, Credit Card Details Probably Safe | Gaming News and Opinion at TheSixthAxis.com

The BBC’s technology correspondent, Rory Cellan-Jones, has been told ‘off the record’ by Sony that PSN users’ credit card details are ‘probably not compromised’. Sony are still investigating the full extent of the intrusion which is probably why they are erring on the side of caution and have yet to release an official statement regarding credit card information.
You can watch the clip via this link.
In related news, the BBC News At Ten has just featured Christopher Ingram from ICO who has said Sony have some “pretty serious questions to be answered’ and will be fully investigated.
As we’ve said before – be vigilant. Keep a close watch on your bank account and seriously consider taking out ID Theft protection.

I trust Rory about as much as i trust Sony, he's a brainless Apple fanboy.

A rumour leaked by a useless blogger from a company i no longer trust, meh i suppose it's better than no news, but i'll believe that financial details haven't been stolen when the security firm Sony have hired says so.

I just got an e-mail from SONY does that mean my personal stuff have being stolen, or is just a warning and stuff

They clearly stated that all 77 million users of PSN will be receiving an e-mail, regardless of whether their account has/has not been compromised.

Everyone is getting the same email, it's a copy and paste job from their website: PSN News - PSN/Qriocity Service Update

It's in no way personal to you, you have received it because your email address is on their servers, along with 77 million others.

Which is why (despite what they say) they will take a risk by going live again and asking users to change passwords, how is that secure if the hackers have your current password and your registered email address? Plenty/most/the majority of people use the same password for everything so its safe to say the hackers have access to lots of peoples email accounts too, meaning any changes to passwords can be intercepted by the hackers too.

Let's not forget that this is a company who stored our data IN PLAIN TEXT on their servers, that is the equivalent of leaving the vault door wide open in a bank. The fact that they are moving their network infrastructure to a more secure location suggests this was either at least partly an inside job, or hackers managed to physically break into their HQ and gain access directly at source. Pretty poor stuff from Sony, i'm glad i dropped PSN in favour of XBL when i did tbh.

Seriously, in plain text? man alive... Was thinking of getting a PS3 and finally getting into online gaming, definitely holding off on that now

Yup, the only data that was encrypted on their systems was credit card data, which is why they don't know yet if it has been stolen.

Names, addresses, D.O.B's, email addresses, passwords etc etc were all stored in plain text and have been harvested by the hackers, it must have been like christmas for them.

I changed all of my password's just to be safe. Also confirmed it was my old card details - bullet dodged on that front.

Yup, the only data that was encrypted on their systems was credit card data, which is why they don't know yet if it has been stolen.

Names, addresses, D.O.B's, email addresses, passwords etc etc were all stored in plain text and have been harvested by the hackers, it must have been like christmas for them.

that's ******* appalling, especially given the threats they have had, the number of customers, the extent of cybercrime, and the sheer size of the company...

An old credit card was used to buy the MW2 map packs, but i don't actually remember my login info as my PS3 logs into PSN automatically, meaning i have no idea what my password is, looks like a day of trawling all my websites and changing p/w's. :(

I was thinking about getting a PS3 in a few weeks. Im deffo not now.

Very poor stuff from Sony. You would think they would have at least put basic encryption on personal data.

This has caused severe ramifications for Sony, including future sales. I wonder if they're aware of how much they have shot themselves in the foot.

Seriously, in plain text? man alive... Was thinking of getting a PS3 and finally getting into online gaming, definitely holding off on that now

Join us on xbox, Kris's dulcit tones, T-Bag's laugh, Redders Northern Soul and Dunc's hyperactivity ruining everything... ;)

The clan of Me, Kris, Becky, Sean, Redders and T-Bag is a force to be reckoned with in any COD arena.

The clan of Me, Kris, Becky, Sean, Redders and T-Bag is a force to be reckoned with in any COD arena.

This is true, If Sean's camping, Becky's screaming, Redders....being Redders or Simon's creepy monotone doesn't put you off then my angry voice will scare you into turning off the console. Joe used to talk on XBL before I came along.