Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Not sure if this is gonna help anyone, but while watching matches I noticed something with how the free kicks are taken.

In my experience a lot of possession is lost due to "wrong" tactical settings for free kicks.
I am still learning myself so please excuse me for being wrong at any point (A)
View attachment 267739

Maybe this can help you perfecting your free kicks so that you can obtain more possession.

Note (refering to the ss):
1= often a ball to the center of the field in attempt to reach the attacking midfield/striker
2= taken according to tactical settings, unless its unable to to obey those settings its taken as explained in 1
3= how you want it
4= often a direct shot at goal, my advise (but I can be wrong) is to make sure that free kicks from left are taken by a right footed player and free kicks from the right taken by a left footed player so that the ball is more likely to curl around the wall and directly heads towards the goal.
5= taken as corner, in my case a nice pass towards the second post where it can be headed into the net while the rest is putting presure on the first post :p

Like I said, I am still learning myself so feel free to correct me if I am wrong at any point...I can only learn from that :)

Last edited:
Is it just me or does this guardiolaunderstoody seem a bit of a douche ? :) Thinks he is better than everyone who is trying to help him and has the nerve to charge people to download his tactic which after all the fuss is more likely going to be worthless anyway, thats what FM base it about helping people to be better at a game for free, if you want to charge other people for your work then go somewhere else and let the people on this thread continue helping eachother ....... free of charge !! :)

cannot agree more with both statements!

I don't get paid to be on Fm-base, I do it because I want to help people enjoy their FM experience more so than they would :)

anyway... Kris banned him for being a Gimp as he called it.. lol

Not sure if this is gonna help anyone, but while watching matches I noticed something with how the free kicks are taken. In my experience a lot of possession is lost due to "wrong" tactical settings for free kicks. I am still learning myself so please excuse me for being wrong at any point (A) View attachment 267739 Maybe this can help you perfecting your free kicks so that you can obtain more possession. Note (refering to the ss): 1= often a ball to the center of the field in attempt to reach the attacking midfield/striker 2= taken according to tactical settings, unless its unable to to obey those settings its taken as explained in 1 3= how you want it 4= often a direct shot at goal, my advise (but I can be wrong) is to make sure that free kicks from left are taken by a right footed player and free kicks from the right taken by a left footed player so that the ball is more likely to curl around the wall and directly heads towards the goal. 5= taken as corner, in my case a nice pass towards the second post where it can be headed into the net while the rest is putting presure on the first post :p Like I said, I am still learning myself so feel free to correct me if I am wrong at any point...I can only learn from that :)

I am just leaving the office now, will read properly tomorrow, however, set pieces do play a large part in racking up the passes :) looks very good so far of what I have skim read :)

chat tomorrow

Good thread, I'll try some of this when I get back on my my main computer, which will be another couple of days. Not sure how well it will work though since every time I try to make my own tactic it fails badly and I end up downloading one of yours. That Guardiola under study person has given me some fresh ideas so hopefully this will work, if it is unbelievably dire then I won't be coming back.

cannot agree more with both statements!

I don't get paid to be on Fm-base, I do it because I want to help people enjoy their FM experience more so than they would :)

anyway... Kris banned him for being a Gimp as he called it.. lol

hahah good, this kris guy needs a round of applause :p

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/users/354954/gogogo golem why turn your back to a thread, which is filled with info, when ideas of 1 person do not work for you?

Raikan has a reputation to uphold and with this thread he is helping others to create their own "perfect" possession soccer...instead of leaving I think you would be better of to ask questions so that others can help you.

Btw..Raikan has proven that his tactics work, as where Guardiolaunderstudy only showed his results...results which appear to look amazing, but how honest did he play the game to get those results? (adding a manager to take control over the next opponent and then totally screw-up the opponents tactic can help A LOT to show off some amazing stats for example).

Ask the right questions and you will create your own perfection imo...but thats just me.

FC Knudde, I can't play FM for a few days since I don't have access to my main computer. I also don't know what my tactic will look like since I don't have FM in front of me. I will ask Raikan when I'm not sure of something. All Guardiola under study gave me ideas about was swarm the midfield and peg them in the other half using DMs not CBs. I have done a poor possession tactic but I fell at the first hurdle, I chose the wrong formation and I think I've worked out how my formation should look like. I also questioned his honesty in my mind but now I'm glad I hadn't questioned it seeing the tantrums he pulled.

@ nikidoug

From my understanding short passing possession tactics take about 20 matches for the players to actually be "melted" into the tactic.

This might help you a little (as it did for me)
Raikan007

give it time, the possession looks good, if you want more passes then you have to edit player instructions, give players rarely everything with medium/high creative freedom and run from deep sometimes/moves into channels and roaming :0

there are a lot of factors that influence passing etc.. but these are fundamentals..
smile.gif
good luck

@gogogo golom

I changed my defending part to dr-dc-dl-dm-dm-dm and so far its a pretty stable defense.
Not sure if its gonna help you, but I have them set as followed:
DR + DL = Closing down whole pitch (1 knot above own half) Tackling set to normal and zonal marking with tight marking.
DC = Closing down own half (next tick is whole pitch) Tackling set to normal and man marking with tight marking.
DM = Closing down whole pitch (1 knot above own half) Tackling set to normal and man marking with tight marking.

So far hardly any attack got through and most of that did got through were off-side.
Note: I play with the defensive line set high

I hope this helps you a bit (no matter what set-up you are going to use)...for me it has proven to be good settings for a descent defense.

What attributes when buying players should I be looking for to implement this tactic sucessfully?

What attributes when buying players should I be looking for to implement this tactic sucessfully?

ffan

If you go to your tactic and then select the player instructions you can see what propperties are required at what task and what role.

But imo for short passing you should keep an eye on the following (no matter what position):
- anticipation
- creativity
- off the ball
- positioning
- teamwork
- decisions
- first touch
- technique
- flair

These propperties (and a few more) will be needed to get (and/or teach) players to play 1-2, short passing and/or plays through balls often.

@ nikidoug

From my understanding short passing possession tactics take about 20 matches for the players to actually be "melted" into the tactic.

This might help you a little (as it did for me)

Thanks! could you possibly screen shot some pictures for me of the tactic you use? player instructions/team instructions etc?

@nikidoug

I am still working on my tactic, for some reason my defense is screwed up and hardly pass but rather walk with the ball while their instructions is set to minimum...once I find my tactic is good enough for other to try I will upload it in the tactics section.

But as for the tactical set up I use, check page 54 of this thread.

Not sure if I am allowed to mention the following (I will edit this post if its not allowed) but I found a site that was helpfull for me in understanding certain aspects of creating your own tactic in FM (player roles and duties that are fitted for one and other for example).
The website is named: Guide to Football Manager | FM 2012 Guide and Forum

As for gaining possession, this thread contains a lot of information that can help you...or...can/will provide you with an answer to your "problem" at that time.

Hope this helps a bit.

@nikidoug

I am still working on my tactic, for some reason my defense is screwed up and hardly pass but rather walk with the ball while their instructions is set to minimum...once I find my tactic is good enough for other to try I will upload it in the tactics section.

But as for the tactical set up I use, check page 54 of this thread.

Not sure if I am allowed to mention the following (I will edit this post if its not allowed) but I found a site that was helpfull for me in understanding certain aspects of creating your own tactic in FM (player roles and duties that are fitted for one and other for example).
The website is named: Guide to Football Manager | FM 2012 Guide and Forum

As for gaining possession, this thread contains a lot of information that can help you...or...can/will provide you with an answer to your "problem" at that time.

Hope this helps a bit.

thanks, you've been a great help! as for sorting out your problem with players just walking with the ball, i'd recommend upping their creative freedom a couple of notches, that should sort it :)

all good input gents :) this is what this thread is about :) I made a possession tactic ages ago and from my experience decided to give advice and tips on how to create one yourself successfully :) that is why this thread was started!

My thoughts on possession have changed as you can see from my replies throughout this thread, the OP is just a template and yes may be a bit outdated, however, the importance of the thread can be found in the replies from myself and all of you!

cheers guys

Can someone tell me how long it takes for players to get over 100 passes? Here are some pictures. Help would be very much appreciated. I've done all the things that have been said on here like rarely everything, run from deep, normal creative freedom, offside trap, no counter attack etc.

These are my results so far!View attachment 267787View attachment 267788View attachment 267789

play a little wider, encourage the FB to RUN FROM DEEP OFTEN so that they sit on the halfway line and add an extra option for passing as well, make sure the CM is roaming/moving channels and has ppm's like:

1) plays short simple passes
2) dictates tempo
3) looks for pass rather than shot
4) plays one two's

@gogogo golom

I changed my defending part to dr-dc-dl-dm-dm-dm and so far its a pretty stable defense.
Not sure if its gonna help you, but I have them set as followed:
DR + DL = Closing down whole pitch (1 knot above own half) Tackling set to normal and zonal marking with tight marking.
DC = Closing down own half (next tick is whole pitch) Tackling set to normal and man marking with tight marking.
DM = Closing down whole pitch (1 knot above own half) Tackling set to normal and man marking with tight marking.

So far hardly any attack got through and most of that did got through were off-side.
Note: I play with the defensive line set high

I hope this helps you a bit (no matter what set-up you are going to use)...for me it has proven to be good settings for a descent defense.
Thanks, I was thinking I should use Raikan's closing down in the OP on the defenders and then move it up a notch or two further up the field so the opposition's defence is put under more pressure and that has confirmed that. I was thinking of that defence also so thanks again. What do you think of setting my FBs to cross ball often, run with ball sometimes, run from deep often and cross from byline so they really drive forward and cross and what about their mentality then? Also what would happen if I made the two more defensive minded DMs and the FBs go onto hard tackling since that is the one thing I've found always works in my previous tactics.

I threw my previous tactic away and started over, atm I am working on figuring out how to get my defense to do want I want them to do grrrr.

I guess no one has a non clasic tactic in which their defense / midfield has a high passing rate (raikan I hate you for making most tactics I can/want to use in classic!!!)?
My attacking part works great so far (between 20-30+ shots at goal from inside the box)..but my defense fails big time.

Since I am working on a non clasic tactic touchline shouts will influence my tactic ( I suppose ).

For those who are working on a non clasic possession tactic as well...here are "the" touchline shouts that are directly related to a short passing possession tactic:
- Play out of defense
- Push higher up
- Get stuck in (note: could result in yellow or red cards when players have low tackling or when the ref is a *****/card happy)
- Pass to feet
- Play through defense
- Retain possession
- Hassle opponents

These can be pre-set in your tactic section.

From my understanding (from what I read) these instruction should be used temporarely during the match and might not affect manuel instructed players.
I have all my players manually instructed (yes Im a little dictator (H)) so I am not sure if it will work for me...but I guess it cant hurt to give these touchline instructions during (or just before) the match.

edit: since its too much to copy, here is a link http://www.guidetofootballmanager.c...tactics/opposition-instructions#tight-marking to a guide that explains the opposition instructions (set just before the match).

This part is, imo, pretty important to have set correctly as these instructions overwrite the manual set instructions in your tactic.

For example if you have your striker set not to mark tight and not to press a lot in your tactic and you instruct him to mark tight and press often in the opposition instructions your striker will do as instructed according to the opposition instruction...meaning that your striker will NOT operate as you had in mind when constructing your tactic.

Note @ mods: if this site contains somewhat the same clear guide as the one I linked, feel free to edit my post or tell me to adjust it to the correct link from this site.

Last edited: