Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Brilliant explanations! For someone who's never tried to create a possesion based tactic this is wonderful!

Hello Raikan007's,I created a possession tactic carefully following your advices. I employ a 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1 depending how you consider the two wingers) with a DM instead of an AMC. I play Juventus and I have to accomodate Andrea Pirlo in his best posistion. First 3 games with the tactics were good but I still have some doubts in the player instructions:- Fullbacks: in your OP you stated to set them on hold up ball (in order to retain possession and not to give ball away for free), but sometimes you suggest the contrary (no hold up ball) and through balls often to find wingers in space. Which factors should I look at for the best choice ? Are through balls really effective when playing short passes ?- Lone striker: the possession flow if very good but it normally end up with going down the flanks and put large amount of crosses into the box (20 or more) normally not on target. I don't have a tall striker (I play Alessandro Matri) even if he is not that bad in heading, and my CC's, even if set with runs from deep, do not get so deep into the box. What tweak do you suggest ? Should I work on wingers (maybe cut inside ?) or on the lone striler ?Many thanks !!

hey bud, they are just tips not exact things you need to adopt, its different approaches :) its for you to test with your team and your players as every team is different and different PPM's and settings etc :)

yes through balls are, they can open up the defence and gets the ball forward into attacking area's

work on both, dont cross the ball in possession tactics, its waste of possession and if you are lucky, 1/20 crosses will connect as this is FM....

use works ball into box, get the wingers more involved as well as the fullbacks (overlap) etc..

Hi Raikan,

One silly question from me: How do you get your fullbacks to overlap? Cause I thought it was easy: set run from deep to often, but I have and they rarely overlap.

Hi Raikan,

One silly question from me: How do you get your fullbacks to overlap? Cause I thought it was easy: set run from deep to often, but I have and they rarely overlap.

hey bud, use the shout "overlap" if using modern tactics

Hi Raikan,

I want to build a new tactics that I didn't see (yet) on the forum. But maybe I didn't look good enough.

It is a 4-1-2-3 system with 4 defenders in line, a DM and 2 CM and 3 CA. One of them is a Targetman and the
others are Fast attackers.

I want to play
passing game football with a lot of goal chances and a lot of players getting in front of the goal.

Can I start with the setup of one of your systems and tweak things or should I start from the scratch?

Didn't read the complete forum ( :) ) but if you have any tips before starting it would be helpfull too.

Hi Raikan,

I want to build a new tactics that I didn't see (yet) on the forum. But maybe I didn't look good enough.

It is a 4-1-2-3 system with 4 defenders in line, a DM and 2 CM and 3 CA. One of them is a Targetman and the
others are Fast attackers.

I want to play
passing game football with a lot of goal chances and a lot of players getting in front of the goal.

Can I start with the setup of one of your systems and tweak things or should I start from the scratch?

Didn't read the complete forum ( :) ) but if you have any tips before starting it would be helpfull too.

its completely up to you mate :) you are more than welcome using one of my tactics as a template!

I would use this one though as template if you like, its similar :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ning/86705-compact-impact%99-raikan007-6.html

hey bud, they are just tips not exact things you need to adopt, its different approaches :) its for you to test with your team and your players as every team is different and different PPM's and settings etc :)yes through balls are, they can open up the defence and gets the ball forward into attacking area'swork on both, dont cross the ball in possession tactics, its waste of possession and if you are lucky, 1/20 crosses will connect as this is FM.... use works ball into box, get the wingers more involved as well as the fullbacks (overlap) etc..
Oh sure ... I know approaches are different and moreover player-dependent. BTW my games immediately improved after adopting your style ;) Now it's time to further adapt it and resolve some issues. I'll try to lower the cross frequency, but what about getting wingers and FB more involved ?? Do you think using the overlapping shout will be enough ?Sometimes I also see my keeper and defenders throwing the ball away blindly like crazy ... with such short passing, no creative freedom settings what else should I do ? :(

Hey Neil, I was just wondering what the best tempo is to play to keep the ball with this tactic? Thanks in advance.

I would play a normal tempo and defualt passing, there is quite a gap between the mid and strikers/wingers, playing too short will not allow for the passing options..

Why dont you drop the wide strikers into the aml and amr positions?

Oh sure ... I know approaches are different and moreover player-dependent. BTW my games immediately improved after adopting your style ;) Now it's time to further adapt it and resolve some issues. I'll try to lower the cross frequency, but what about getting wingers and FB more involved ?? Do you think using the overlapping shout will be enough ?Sometimes I also see my keeper and defenders throwing the ball away blindly like crazy ... with such short passing, no creative freedom settings what else should I do ? :(

thats good to hear bud :) well done!

if you play wider they will :) set your focus passing to mixed

well it also depends on their settings, ask the fb's to run from deep always and run with ball sometimes will also increase width and passing options

increase the defenders freedom a little (like 3 clicks) and increase their through balls and passing slider to short but on the border of mixed... this will ensure they dont aimlessly kick the ball away when under pressure

keeper, distribute ball to your best passing cb :) or even full back

thats good to hear bud :) well done! if you play wider they will :) set your focus passing to mixedwell it also depends on their settings, ask the fb's to run from deep always and run with ball sometimes will also increase width and passing optionsincrease the defenders freedom a little (like 3 clicks) and increase their through balls and passing slider to short but on the border of mixed... this will ensure they dont aimlessly kick the ball away when under pressurekeeper, distribute ball to your best passing cb :) or even full back
Fantastic ! So much work for me :D I'll keep you posted with the progress, thank you mate !Yeah the keeper drives me crazy ... he just doesn't seem to follow my instructions, he never passes to the player I set grrrrr !

good luck Ben, post a few results in time ;)

First away match I won with 2-1. Now it's summer and I have the time to train the new tactics an play a lot of friendly matches for the beginning of the season. I will post screen shots of the first (lets say five) matches of the season and discuss if I can improve things.

Hello mate,

Thanks for the very useful thread.

A few questions:

1) How do you manage to creat CCCs. I seem to get a decent ammount of possession and no CCCs. I don't know if it's to do with the quality if players. Im managing Millwall in the CH.

2) How do you get players to do 1-2s etc?

3) How did you manage to get 100 passes for a couple of players. My top one is 52!

4) What do you mean when you talk about making your tactics in classic mode and the other abbreviations you use in your first post?

Sorry for some noob questions, I hope you can help!

Stu

First of all I MUST say a very big thanks to you! Whenever I have created my own tactics I have failed at getting more than 45% posession. However after reading this thread, I am managing 60-70% and creting a fair amount of CCC's. I am using a 4-2-3-1 system, with the two holding cm's as bwm's. I think your op said about triangles not being needed? I agree with this as long as there is space a player can move into it, however when I have seen my players moving I can see triangles being formed, and quick one-twos being used, I think however I need to tweak it that little bit more to concede less goals (do you have any ideas for this) and converting my CCC's. Again THANK YOU!

Hello mate,

Thanks for the very useful thread.

A few questions:

1) How do you manage to creat CCCs. I seem to get a decent ammount of possession and no CCCs. I don't know if it's to do with the quality if players. Im managing Millwall in the CH.

2) How do you get players to do 1-2s etc?

3) How did you manage to get 100 passes for a couple of players. My top one is 52!

4) What do you mean when you talk about making your tactics in classic mode and the other abbreviations you use in your first post?

Sorry for some noob questions, I hope you can help!

Stu
What is your formation first of all i.e. 44-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

1) IMO (and from my own tactic) It is all from the strikers movement - depending on tactic your cam/cm movement creating the space, try getting your cam/cm's to have through balls set to often, also get your midfielders and striker to have run with ball as rarely OR sometimes (depending on positiong)

2) To get players to do 1-2's go to a players profile, click the 'interaction' drop menu, click a coach you wish to teach this to the players, then select movement then select the conversation for 1-2's (you may also use this for other PPM's such as play simple passing game)

3) I personally have no idea - I guess with extra tweaking and time it will occur

4) The tactics in classic mode is an option for how tactics were made in '08 etc where you could 'right click' and drag to get an arrow of the direcion of movement for a player. To do this go to the tactics screen, then where it says current/first tactic, click options then convert to classic...

Hope this helps :)

What is your formation first of all i.e. 44-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

1) IMO (and from my own tactic) It is all from the strikers movement - depending on tactic your cam/cm movement creating the space, try getting your cam/cm's to have through balls set to often, also get your midfielders and striker to have run with ball as rarely OR sometimes (depending on positiong)

2) To get players to do 1-2's go to a players profile, click the 'interaction' drop menu, click a coach you wish to teach this to the players, then select movement then select the conversation for 1-2's (you may also use this for other PPM's such as play simple passing game)

3) I personally have no idea - I guess with extra tweaking and time it will occur

4) The tactics in classic mode is an option for how tactics were made in '08 etc where you could 'right click' and drag to get an arrow of the direcion of movement for a player. To do this go to the tactics screen, then where it says current/first tactic, click options then convert to classic...

Hope this helps :)

Hello mate, cheers for the reply.

What would you say the best formation to use for this sort of tactic is?

Also I can't find where it says current/first tactic on the tactics screen, if you could direct me a little more that would be great!

Cheers

Stu