Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Ignore that last post, just found it.

It does say that I can't convert back, will this be a problem in the future?

Stu

hey guys, Stu, no you cannot! if you are using a modern tactic and want to convert that, save the modern version somewhere else (copy and paste onto desktop or something) then you can convert to classic but still have the modern one at your disposal!

getting over 100 passes is all down to the instructions, if you like you can go through the player instructions in the tactic below and use whatever you want from there for your own tactics :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/85231-short-sweet%99.html

increasing the tempo and changing (tempo for modern, attacking slider for classic) playing a little quicker will result in getting the ball upfield quicker and creating a few more oppurtunities!

it all boils down to player instructions really! try and set your mids and wingers to play through balls always and see if that works, just remember though, this can give aways possession from bad passess and your possession will drop as a result and the passess will decrease as well :) but it will/should create more oppurtunities for your striker to score

please note, I am on leave until 11th January 2012 and will not be accessing the forums during that time. I wish you all a good festive season and a merry christmas!

I thought I had opened this :) we are live! feel free to ask away!

I thought I had opened this :) we are live! feel free to ask away!
raikan, i have been looking at the opening post and seen the ajax vs partizan match and i was wondering, could i have that tactic if you got it please?

Hey lads.
I'd like to create a 4-1-2-1-2 (tight with 2 cm's) possession based tactic.
Here are the basic ideas I'm working on, and I would really appreciate if you could give me some indications.
Wideness: Normal (right in the middle)
Tempo: Normal (right in the middle)
D-line: 3/4
Marking zonal
Time wasting: normal (one notch ahead of rarely)
Play Offside: Yes.
Def players: CBs and DM
Support players: DRL, CMs
Attack players: AMC and STRL

Roles:
FB-BPL-Stopper-FB
DM
AP-BtB
AM
CF-AF
Mentality:
Right in the middle for Def Players + AP
three Notches Higher for Support + AMC+AF
one notch Higher for CF
Creative freedom:
Few for most a part from AP, AM and AF (one notch less than much)
Closing down: Every one to one notch less than whole pitch AF and AM Whole pitch
Tight mark??? Need ideas

Passing: Short (one notch less than normal) CBs, DM, BtB, CF
Mixed (right in the middle): FBs
Direct: AP, AM, AF

Run with ball: Rarely to everyone, AF and AM sometimes

Run from deep: Often: FBs, BtB, CF. CBs. AP on rarely, Others: sometimes (the idea is that the AP should always be available quite deep and have up to 6 passing solution in front of him and behind him if pressed.

Long shots: no one

Crossing: FB often from mixed target CF, CMs, AM and AF: sometimes from mixed and Def players rarely

Wide play: Move into channels: AM, AF and AP normal to others.

As you can see, I picked up many ideas from that discussion, which is very helpfull, thanks Raikan007 for starting it.
Waiting for your feedbacks :)

Last edited:
The keeper should on sweeper keeper Defend, and distribution set to defender collect with no special target (may be the best passer?

The keeper should on sweeper keeper Defend, and distribution set to defender collect with no special target (may be the best passer?
all sounds good mate, how is it coming along?

set keeper to distribute to your ball playing defender! I would not use a stopper though! your Dm will do the stopping, set him to cover or just normal defend rather to keep the shape of the backline!

Hi Raikan, thanks for the reply.
Well, the first reslts are pretty good. The team is doing well keeping possession 70% against Schalke though it resulted on a heavy 3-1 loss :s
On the good side, many players above 30 passes, some CCCs, many shots most games.
Drawbacks that still need to be fixed:
- Defense against set pieces
- Defense strugling against wingers even with with show onto weak foot OI
- Doing really poor job against 4-2-3-1 (Human player with much better team but I had really no chances on two games loosing one heavily because of set pieces)
- Though decesive (assists and goals) I think my AM is not paticipating enough to the game, may be sould I switch him to support?
- Last but not least, I don't know if I should switch some guys to man marking, and how to use Tight marking and on who.
For information, my team is pretty young and technique so they are small guys.
Any clues?

@Raikan: Your idea of setting closing down at the same level for everyone is simply brilliant! The team moves like a single man, an old Sacchi's dream is becoming true :D

hey bud,

it will take some time to iron out and get the tactic perfectly.

1) take the time and set it up correctly, especially defending (match prep can be used as well)
2) just remember, possession tactics are not always narrow, as I mention, its better playing wider to use more of the pitch, if you are struggling out wide then I suggest placing wingers/playmakers out there (maybe even WM) to help out in defending and attacking!

3) as I said, it will take time mate, just be patient :) tweak and test!
4) that could work, it all comes down to instructions though!

5) try setting all mids/attackers to close down as high as possible with man marking and pressing in team instructions! use shouts like hassle opponents as well! it will tire your players out more but could put them under pressure!

just remember though that good technical teams like City/Arsenal/Bayern etc can exploit that type of marking easily with quick one touch football and you risk getting caught out! I have mentioned all these points already in the OP, but they are important to remember :)

set your defenders to zonal and no tight marking with closing down own area :) I have found that works the best for me to date, its my new Cb settings!

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.
Looks good to me, will try your settings for CBs. Feedback Monday as I will be caught IRL.
Any clues on the AM as well. Sorry if I bother you with so many questions.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.
Looks good to me, will try your settings for CBs. Feedback Monday as I will be caught IRL.
Any clues on the AM as well. Sorry if I bother you with so many questions.

its a pleasure :)

I would rather drop him to the central mid role and make him Ap and attacking! sort of like this:

203776d1321537369-compact-impact%99-raikan007-afc-ajax-team-selection_-overview-.png

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...aining/86705-compact-impact%99-raikan007.html