Raikan007's Tactical discussion & help thread

hello.. am playing with Crawley in league 2 in england.. im playing a 4-5-1 and its working very good home.. when playing away its not good.. home i play control as start or standard when to meet top club i league... so can you giva some advice how to play away? my d-line is set to high and with wide play... tempo is slow... so what can i do to play better away from home?? thanks for advice =)

Thanks for the reply. What did you mean by keep cb's to the same closing down? It might be me not reading/understanding it properly.
keeping them on the same closing down sliders (i.e: 6 notches or halfway) will keep them in line! but this also has to do with their decisions stats etc... but thats what I do anyway :)

Ive been trying some different mentalities for the DWs.. Im want them to be quite offensive, but not to far up so they leave their area of defense too unguarded. Do you think I could get away with changing the BWM to something more offensive then?
maybe box to box?

hello.. am playing with Crawley in league 2 in england.. im playing a 4-5-1 and its working very good home.. when playing away its not good.. home i play control as start or standard when to meet top club i league... so can you giva some advice how to play away? my d-line is set to high and with wide play... tempo is slow... so what can i do to play better away from home?? thanks for advice =)
play on the counter, play deeper to allow them to come on to you, play quicker and more direct, clear ball to flanks and get ball foward touchline shouts :)

Thanks for the reply. What did you mean by keep cb's to the same closing down? It might be me not reading/understanding it properly.
hey bud, here is your tactic :) 8 CCC's away from home as underdogs was quite surprising if I can say so myself :) I suggest bringing in Tshabalala, Macheda (as cover) a new Cm like Noble/Diarra (free) Tiote etc, someone with a good work rate and also a new Dm Anchor man that has a bit of pace to clean up and intercept attacking moves :)

View attachment 199997View attachment 199998View attachment 199999

tactic:

View attachment 200000

Raikan, just wanted to say, your Pure Perfection works great. It works even better with the wingers changed to Inside Forwards if they're inverted-ly footed on their wing.

:D 13 straight wins!

Hi, Raikan I was wondering if I could get some advice on any improvements i could make to my tactic to make it much more solid and also an away variant of the tactic would be nice.

View attachment 200264

I haven't touched player instructions and kept player roles pretty basic, Team instructions i left on default only changing passing to direct. I always keep a balanced control approach.

it's mainly about putting 5 to 6 men behind the ball at a time with the 2 cm's coming back to harry also. Most goals come from direct balls up to advance forwards who run at opponent defence if they are short at the back but when they got numbers back the fb's and 2 cm's are there for support.
This tactic helped me get Gillingham promoted from BSP after I took over them, 11 games into League 2 season I am unbeaten in the league only losing in the cup to a **** PRM team.
My main concerns are:

1) Should I be using just 1 ADV Forward if so which other role would help best (probly a DLF?)
2) Should I switch my FB's to attack or maybe change to attacking Wing backs
3) How best to approach an away game with this shape i get great results at home but away it's more difficult.
4) Any way to improve my DM's and CM's Roles (i am worried changing here will upset balance I got atm)
5) What advice and changes would you make to improve the tactic overall

Thanks in advance

Hi Raikan,

I require some amendments to be made to this tactic that I am using during my Arsenal save that I am using from FM2011. It is a tactic titled Ill Devasto 4-2-2-2 [classic] (I didn't create it) and it is very very attacking and I have had much success in both the 2011 and 2012 versions of FM.

However, I leak a lot of goals! Fortunately, I have the ability to pile on the points but I am winning games 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-4 and even a 7-3 against Manchester United in the league cup semi final.

I don't know what I can do to improve my defence. I don't believe the players are too blame. As Vermaelen/Metresacker/Djourou are competent enough to gain success. Szsceny isn't a bad choice in goal either.

716yh0.jpg

I also experimented with your Short and Sweet Tactic (TM) with mixed results. I often found while maintaining a lot of possession, I rarely created chances - especially in comparison to the Ill Devasto 4-2-2-2 (classic). I drew/lost a few games when I was clearly the dominate team. It was really frustrating which lead me to my current formation.

Is there anyway I can improve on the Ill Devasto 4-2-2-2 (classic) tactic to tighten up those goals? Or perhaps is there a way where I can incorporate both the tactics together to maintain more possession and reduce the amount of goals conceded?

I have a lot of depth with a great amount of technically gifted players (I went a little over board on transfers - as I didn't know I would get this addicted).

GK: Sczcheny
DL: Andre Santos / Gibbs
DC: Metresacker
DC: Vermaelen
DR: Sagna / Vrsaljko
MC: Song / M'Vila / Thiago
MC: Arteta / Ramsey / Wilkshere
AMR: Gervinho / Arshavin
AML: Gotze
SC: Walcott / Cavani
SC: Van Persie / Pack Chu-Young / Chamberlain

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sup Raikan :)

Just want to say cheers for recommending ter Stegen to me. Whilst he is still a young player, he is doing absolutely amazing in goal, and i really feel confident when it comes to one on ones against him. Also, vrsaljko is doing geat a well, and has made a huge impact replacing corluka. I feel your two recommendations really complete my side. I told you i was putting together a young tottenham team who in 3 years would be the best in the world and i am well on my way to doing so.

If i ever need player recommendations in the future, i will be sure to come STRAIGHT to you :)

Hey Raikan, I'm playing as Aberdeen (I'm from Aberdeen) but I'm needing help with the tactic...
I thought a 4-4-2 would be best:

View attachment 200434
As you can see Aberdeen have no left mid, but I am on the verge of signing a good left mid from Heats so it's all good.
We posess a very young squad and the formation is not a problem as all the players fit into it very well (a few of the strikers are good target men while the other are poachers, and we have good ball winning midfielders and creative ones as well)
We are a team who are tipped to come in the top half of the table (media prediction is 4th and board objectives are Europa Qualification), so we should be beating the lower teams but struggling against Celtic and rangers.
But I don't know what tactics I should deploy, the strategy, philosophy, passing style, creative freedom etc, could you help me please?
Also could you help me with a back up tactic for playing the old firm teams please? :)

Hi mate,

Just wondered how you would personally set up a control strategy. I've set it up as the following:-

Rigid
Control
Shorter
More Cautious
Zonal Marking

I've always assumed that you should play wide with a slow tempo using this strategy and have little or no time wasting.

The main question I have is how high or low should the defensive line be in relation to the individual players closing down?

Hi Raikan.

I wanted to put a sweeper in my formation because I had pre-season friendlies against Real Madrid and A.C. Milan and thought I needed to toughen up the defence. Would it just be better to play 3 CB instead of 2 Cb and a SW?

Hi, Raikan I was wondering if I could get some advice on any improvements i could make to my tactic to make it much more solid and also an away variant of the tactic would be nice.

View attachment 200264

I haven't touched player instructions and kept player roles pretty basic, Team instructions i left on default only changing passing to direct. I always keep a balanced control approach.

it's mainly about putting 5 to 6 men behind the ball at a time with the 2 cm's coming back to harry also. Most goals come from direct balls up to advance forwards who run at opponent defence if they are short at the back but when they got numbers back the fb's and 2 cm's are there for support.
This tactic helped me get Gillingham promoted from BSP after I took over them, 11 games into League 2 season I am unbeaten in the league only losing in the cup to a **** PRM team.
My main concerns are:

1) Should I be using just 1 ADV Forward if so which other role would help best (probly a DLF?)
2) Should I switch my FB's to attack or maybe change to attacking Wing backs
3) How best to approach an away game with this shape i get great results at home but away it's more difficult.
4) Any way to improve my DM's and CM's Roles (i am worried changing here will upset balance I got atm)
5) What advice and changes would you make to improve the tactic overall

Thanks in advance

hey mate :) I take it you are planning for the next level up which is good as tactics that get you promoted will not do the same the next year (most of the time) so changing is a must! well done!

1) keep it as is! it is quite defensive already, I suggest using the 1 striker as a Dlf who looks to drop into the pocket to link up with the Cm's and assist in either providing the killer ball for the Adv forward to latch onto or taking the game to the opposition himself!

2) if you want extra attacking options (only at home or vs teams that play narrowly) then yes you can set them to run from deep often and run with ball sometimes, crossing and through balls sometimes too) but you must ensure then that they tight mark/man with high closing down to track back quickly

3) away games are a lot more difficult this year! I have changed one of my tactics M&M to completely counter attacking and only use it away from home no matter who I play! set d-line to deeper, play quicker, on the counter and use shouts like run at defence and clear ball to flanks. I would also change the formation to a 4-3-3 which includes 1 Dm, 2 Cm's and 2 Am's (wingers) and the Adv forward upfront setting the wide players to inside forwards

4) if it aint broke dont try and fix it

5) I would need to see the tactic really (but I am no longer making/editing tactics for members as I have like 10 requests per day and I have done all that have asked, just cant anymore) It is quite a Brazillian tactic, thats how most of the Brazillian teams line up :) if its working well dont change it! :)

hope that helps mate :)

Hi Raikan,

I require some amendments to be made to this tactic that I am using during my Arsenal save that I am using from FM2011. It is a tactic titled Ill Devasto 4-2-2-2 [classic] (I didn't create it) and it is very very attacking and I have had much success in both the 2011 and 2012 versions of FM.

However, I leak a lot of goals! Fortunately, I have the ability to pile on the points but I am winning games 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, 5-4 and even a 7-3 against Manchester United in the league cup semi final.

I don't know what I can do to improve my defence. I don't believe the players are too blame. As Vermaelen/Metresacker/Djourou are competent enough to gain success. Szsceny isn't a bad choice in goal either.

716yh0.jpg

I also experimented with your Short and Sweet Tactic (TM) with mixed results. I often found while maintaining a lot of possession, I rarely created chances - especially in comparison to the Ill Devasto 4-2-2-2 (classic). I drew/lost a few games when I was clearly the dominate team. It was really frustrating which lead me to my current formation.

Is there anyway I can improve on the Ill Devasto 4-2-2-2 (classic) tactic to tighten up those goals? Or perhaps is there a way where I can incorporate both the tactics together to maintain more possession and reduce the amount of goals conceded?

I have a lot of depth with a great amount of technically gifted players (I went a little over board on transfers - as I didn't know I would get this addicted).

GK: Sczcheny
DL: Andre Santos / Gibbs
DC: Metresacker
DC: Vermaelen
DR: Sagna / Vrsaljko
MC: Song / M'Vila / Thiago
MC: Arteta / Ramsey / Wilkshere
AMR: Gervinho / Arshavin
AML: Gotze
SC: Walcott / Cavani
SC: Van Persie / Pack Chu-Young / Chamberlain

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
hey bud, Devasto's tactics are great attacking and fluid but is not sound defensively! some people like or dont mind winning 5:4 or 3:2, I for one dont! I love my clean sheets! I dont know the tactic so I cannot comment on making changes, I suggest asking the creator :)

as for the Short and sweet, it has been updated/completed and is awesome :) I suggest taking a look at the OP I updated and check out some of the results and donwload the latest complete version :)

Sup Raikan :)

Just want to say cheers for recommending ter Stegen to me. Whilst he is still a young player, he is doing absolutely amazing in goal, and i really feel confident when it comes to one on ones against him. Also, vrsaljko is doing geat a well, and has made a huge impact replacing corluka. I feel your two recommendations really complete my side. I told you i was putting together a young tottenham team who in 3 years would be the best in the world and i am well on my way to doing so.

If i ever need player recommendations in the future, i will be sure to come STRAIGHT to you :)

sup dude :)

cheers mate :) its a pleasure :) I suggest downloading my shortlist and taking a gander throught it too :) also making a youngsters all in one thread as we speak :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ids/83895-raikan007s-wonderkid-shortlist.html

Hey Raikan, I'm playing as Aberdeen (I'm from Aberdeen) but I'm needing help with the tactic...
I thought a 4-4-2 would be best:

View attachment 200434
As you can see Aberdeen have no left mid, but I am on the verge of signing a good left mid from Heats so it's all good.
We posess a very young squad and the formation is not a problem as all the players fit into it very well (a few of the strikers are good target men while the other are poachers, and we have good ball winning midfielders and creative ones as well)
We are a team who are tipped to come in the top half of the table (media prediction is 4th and board objectives are Europa Qualification), so we should be beating the lower teams but struggling against Celtic and rangers.
But I don't know what tactics I should deploy, the strategy, philosophy, passing style, creative freedom etc, could you help me please?
Also could you help me with a back up tactic for playing the old firm teams please? :)
hey bud :) may I suggest looking at the away/counter tatic below (donwload) and see the team instructions I give and the shouts I use :) this tactic would work really well when playing vs the Rangers and Celtics!

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-might-magic%99-raikan007-13.html#post1352596

the home version can be a bit more controlled! play shorter, slower, higher, pressing/zonal, float crosses for your TM which your poacher can feed off! play normal width, leaning on the side of wide :)

Hi mate,

Just wondered how you would personally set up a control strategy. I've set it up as the following:-

Rigid
Control
Shorter
More Cautious
Zonal Marking

I've always assumed that you should play wide with a slow tempo using this strategy and have little or no time wasting.

The main question I have is how high or low should the defensive line be in relation to the individual players closing down?

short, narrow, pressing, zonal, drill crosses, highest d-line, little to no time wasting, tackling can be anything, I use cautious!

Fluid/control/attack are the best to use! Fluid will ensure that the different area's will merge together in certain plays, rigid lets then only do 1 or 2 things at most! you should start on rigid then move to balanced then to fluid once your team have gotten used to it :)

the higher the closing down the higher the d-line :)

Hi Raikan.

I wanted to put a sweeper in my formation because I had pre-season friendlies against Real Madrid and A.C. Milan and thought I needed to toughen up the defence. Would it just be better to play 3 CB instead of 2 Cb and a SW?

I would advise not playing a sw.. for one there are barely like 5 natural sweepers in the game! and two if you set your Cb's up correctly you dont need one! What I suggest is rather makin your keeper a sweeper keeper (if he does not match all the right stats then I suggest buying in one rather)

Playing Middlesbrough, 3rd season, not expecting to win the premeirship, but I get totally outclassed when playing against the big sides.

I play 4-5-1 home at home and 4-5-1 counter against big sides and away.

View attachment 200568View attachment 200569View attachment 200570View attachment 200571View attachment 200572

Any help much appreciated
hey bud, just switch over to counter, take off offside trap, drop the d-line to deep, play quicker and more direct even change to balanced philosphy and use shouts like: Clear ball to flanks, run at defence, pass into space :) change the AP role to a more defensive Cm (eg: playing Carrick/Lucas instead of Scholes/Gerrard)

hey bud, just switch over to counter, take off offside trap, drop the d-line to deep, play quicker and more direct even change to balanced philosphy and use shouts like: Clear ball to flanks, run at defence, pass into space :) change the AP role to a more defensive Cm (eg: playing Carrick/Lucas instead of Scholes/Gerrard)

I'm already playing counter and deep line but I'll change over to more direct and balanced etc.. See how it goes. Thanks for the tips. :-D

Last edited:
Hey Raikan,
Well I changed fluid to balanced, more direct and more disciplined and my AP to an CM Supp. Four games using this and it's an improvment but still getting played of the park by the big six.

View attachment 200856View attachment 200858View attachment 200859View attachment 200860

Fulham and Brum were good performances, Man City was 'how did we get apoint there ?' and Liverpool was full match speed after 35 mins when they went 3-0 up.

I am a tactical idiot and therefore have no clue where I'm going wrong. Or is it just the players aren't that good ?