Raikan007's Teamtalk Guide Fm14: How to get the right reaction!

Raikan007

Reaction score
Raikan007's Teamtalk Guide Fm14 (updated)
"How to get the right reaction!"

Phil-Brown-Hull-City-001.jpg

After many years since Wolfsongs teamtalk guide came out and has since sort of become obsolete, I decided that I would share with you my approach that I have when managing my squads during the all important team talks pre-game/halftime/post game..

A very important thing to remember is that your experience (Sunday League/Semi Professional/International) plays a vital role in the effect your team talks have, especially in your first season in charge, well mostly the first 6 months or so!

If your players are not reacting at all, or worse, negatively to your team talks in your first season with Semi Pro experience when managing Manchester United (which will 95% of the time happen) then I suggest not doing any team talks until you have won a cup or finished the season... The more your squad get to know you the more they will react!

This can be increased by praising players after good performances, making you one of their favoured personnel is a must for as many players as you can in your squad! This is an important part that a lot of people do not even consider!

Important notes so far:

• [*=center]So, do not expect positive reactions in the first season, maybe only closer to the end! So be patient..
    [*=center]If you are getting negative reactions from your players at the start of the game, either get your AM to do the talks or say nothing at all! Sometimes saying nothing at all spurs the team on to do better, especially if you are down at half time!
    [*=center]Keep in mind your manager experience in relation to your team you select at the start! Choosing Man City/Real Madrid and setting your experience as Sunday League is not a good idea
    [*=center]Praise players and hopefully you will become one of their favoured personnel

Ok, so lets get into the actual team talk options...

(please note that these are for 2nd year onwards and for at least Professional experience from the start, these can also be used in the first season with any other experience lower than Pro, but you might struggle to get the correct reactions, just try it, if it works, that is great, if not, do what I mention above)

Pre-Match teamtalks:

If your player had picked up a rating of around 7.4 and over the previous game, maybe he scored a goal or two or defended well, he will now have an option (over the defualt ones) that say's "I want to see more of the same from you" if this is an option I suggest using it 99% of the time!

If the player played really badly the game before, rating below 6.0 you should be able to say that "you expect better" from him today, use that if you have this player starting again!

This however, can only be done once you have selected the "full team's team talk" which brings me to the main part of the thread so far:

Bigger opposition
(when you are not favorites for the match)

Home/Away:
(this is my own little trick I use and have implemented with great success)

(team talk)
Calm/Assertive/Passionate:

"Just go out there and relax and play your natural game, the result will come"

View attachment 316403

this relaxes your players and if you do lose, will not affect their morale that much!

then:

(individual)
Calm/Passionate:

"I have faith in your ability"

View attachment 316402

Now this most of the time adds and motivated to most of your players who are already relaxed making it a double impact team talk which works 100% of the time, well for me as seen in the red box on the right hand side.

I also suggest using the following, especially when away from home:

(calm/reluctant/passionate)

View attachment 316407View attachment 316408

then:

(individual)
Calm/Passionate:

"There is no pressure on you today"

this should take the pressure off your players, especially away from home

Smaller opposition
(when you are favorites for the match)

Home:

(team talk)

"I expect a win"
"Come on lads, we are favorites, lets show them what we can do"
"Let's give them a performance they are expecting from us here"
"A team such as ourselves should be winning this game without any problem at all"

Away:

"Let's do it for the fans
"Let's give the fans something to cheer about"

(see overall team talk box, I selected the assertive a team such as ourselves...)

View attachment 316405

then:

(individual)
Calm/Passionate:

View attachment 316405

(see individual team talk drop down menu's, I used I have faith and got a few more good reactions out of my players)

Last edited:
Half time teamtalks:

Half time teamtalks are the most important to me, this can really change the course of the game for good or bad! I am hoping these suggestions will put you on course for the latter...

When it comes to half time and a player of mine has made a mistake and has a rating of under 6.0, I normally sub the player as I have yet to see in all my years a player that has made a mistake and on say 5.4 turn his game around and improve and end up with a match rating of say 7.9, never!.. Then I also give him a warning after the game (or fine him if it was really bad or happened more than once)

Keep in mind the opposition you are facing, the score line and the player ratings and most importantly, player morale! If its below good then I suggest using options like you have faith and not try and be aggressive and say you are not happy as this will most likely only make it worse!

Team talks are quite unpredictable as well as every player has hidden attributes that can effect the outcome of team talks! keep that in mind!

If your player played well in the game before and did not start the "Pick up where you left from" teamtalk is available for your substitutes coming on at half time, you could consider using t
hat at this point!

When you are not worried about the outcome of the game:

(this usually is when you are not even considered to feature in the game i.e. City vs Bradford/Telford etc)

Away/Home:

(team talk)

View attachment 316409

then:

(individual)
Calm/Passionate:

these options will be used when you are really underdogs and are not too worried about the result at the end of the day..

When your players are playing well and above expectations:

Away/Home:

(team talk)

View attachment 316411View attachment 316410

Using I am "pleased with the way things is going" is most probably the most widely used option and it does work, I suggest sticking with it!

I suggest only using "things are going well.." if you are only say 1:0 up against a weaker team like West Ham..

But, a lot of you probably wonder what would happen if I clicked on "you might be winning but that can all change" or "don't get complacent out there" as you are probably too scared to get a negative result, I was and am still sometimes! BUT I can tell you that it works when you are playing against SMALLER teams, do not use this approach when playing against BIGGER teams otherwise you will end up upsetting most of your players!

then:

(individual)
Calm/Passionate:

When your players are playing badly and below expectations:

Away/Home:

(team talk)
Assertive/Aggressive:

View attachment 316414View attachment 316412

When you are meant to be the favorites and are looking to win the game and your team have not performed well enough in the first half, using aggressive/assertive "I am not happy with your performance" is also probably a very widely used option and it should be used to get your player's fired up as you can see from their reactions (2nd SS) after I had told them I was not happy!

then:

(individual)
Calm/Passionate:

Always seems to then motivate the players as well which is a good combination and can also change a negative reaction from the hair dryer treatment you gave them just before to a positive reaction!

You will also notice that when you talk to players individually, especially when giving the player horns about his performance, a player you crapped out just before that may suddenly get a positive reaction. This is down to the player not feeling like he was being singled out and is a bonus if your team are playing poorly.

Substitutes teamtalks:

If you have a young player or a new player in the squad, using "no pressure" is a good idea to use as young players do not have the experience like older players do

If you are losing bringing on a player that could potentially change the course of the game, saying "expect a performance" or that "you have faith" is a good idea to use

Last edited:
Full time teamtalks:

Very important piece of advice:

You need to remember and keep in mind what you said to your squad from the first whistle.

If you said to them pre-game against Chelsea "Just go out and relax " and at half time you said "I expect to see a much better showing" and at full time you lost 3:0 you cannot go and aggressively say "You were not good enough"
Keep that in mind otherwise you are going to have a tough time!

When you have a good win or good draw (regardless of home or away or opposition)

Away/Home:

(team talk)

View attachment 316417View attachment 316418

"Well done, that was a good win for us"

When your team have played well and won the game convincingly, using passionate/calm and "well done that was a good win for us" is the best option

If you came away with a good draw when you were meant to lose, using calm/passionate and "I'm very happy with the result and the way you played" is a good option.

If you only say won 1:0 against a weaker team like this, I would use assertively "That was a bit of a let off..." I did not highlight it as sometimes your players react badly..

But this depends on what you had said to you players at Half time and Pre match! You need to keep in mind what you said to them to avoid upsetting them.. for eg:

When you have a bad loss or bad draw against
S
maller opposition

Away/Home:

(team talk)
Aggressive/Assertive/Passionate:

View attachment 316423View attachment 316422

When your team have performed badly, make your feelings known! Use aggressive mostly and say "you were not good enough" this usually fires up the players for the next game and motivates them to do better!

When you have a good loss and display against
Bigger
opposition

Away/Home:

(team talk)

View attachment 316424

Calmly saying that "you were unlucky today" or that or that "you were happy with what you saw out there" when you lose narrowly or were in complete control but just could not break down the opposition and end up drawing, these options are good as your team actually played well, despite the result and should be told so! This will 99% of the time get a positive reaction from the players

Last edited:
great threat again ! really nice to have people that bother to take time to help others who are struggling or just lazy ;)

keep on going mate!

I used that of the team but with the individual it is better still thank you =)

Very good thread. Just shows that all parts of management are important, not just the right tactic, but also the ability to motivate your players in any given circumstance.

ok full time updated! all finished for now!

anyone finding this useful?

ok full time updated! all finished for now!

anyone finding this useful?

I think most of us find it useful :)

Can you do a small write-up on the substitutes? I never seem to get any motivation out of them when I talk to them before they go in.

Last edited:
I think most of us find it useful :)

Can you do a small write-up on the substitutes? I never seem to get any motivation out of them when I talk to them before they go in.

thanks mate :)

I have started it on the Half time page! I am about to leave and will finish it up properly tomorrow when I get back :)

What previous experience you use when you start a new save or what is your reputation (is there even such thing) in your save? I never seem to get good reactions from almost everyone although I use similar team talks than you do (common sense gets you quite far).

Raikan, what iam going to say when i a favorite and win the game but play not so good? Great guide!

What previous experience you use when you start a new save or what is your reputation (is there even such thing) in your save? I never seem to get good reactions from almost everyone although I use similar team talks than you do (common sense gets you quite far).

If I manage United (as I always do when the new FM comes out, its Professional)

If I manage other teams its mostly Semi Pro..

Raikan, what iam going to say when i a favorite and win the game but play not so good? Great guide!

When you have a bad loss or bad draw against
S
maller opposition

Away/Home:

(team talk)
Aggressive/Assertive/Passionate:

When your team have performed badly, make your feelings known! Use aggressive mostly and say "you were not good enough" this usually fires up the players for the next game and motivates them to do better!