Re-creating Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona tactic 2010-2011 tactic

• Thread starter Thread starter awalker14
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 44K
i think the barcelona system is too fluid for the match engine , the cdm will nvr drop to become a 3rd cb no matter what mentality u use. The only way it might be possible is setting busquets as a 3rd cb and run from deep and higher mentality maybe ? I nvr tried that tho so cant give info.

great idea i think that could work maybe ill try it anyway:)

Here are my results so far. I have altered slightly to fit my squad such as the two adv playmakers i have pulled back so they pick the ball up earlier in the play and i have removed all of the swap positions. I have also changed the ST to a Complete Forward to fit in Cavani (he was here when i joined).

View attachment 305384View attachment 305385View attachment 305386

As you can see it is doing very well in the league and the two defeats were harsh on the overall performance. The more games i play with this the more CCC i seem to get. Will keep up the posts after another few months.

Good work, iv also tried this but problem i find is when pulling the wide men more deep is you have less shots in the bit and they dont try beat the offside trap also i think it leads to more crosses which isnt how barca play also with the CF i feel it doesn't all link up aswel in the final 3rd

Soo things That need to be re created which im struggling on:

Play big and small: Basically Spread out and use entire pitch when attacking and defending go very narrow and tight.
(The way iv solved this is to play very narrow and set the Fullbacks wide play to 'Hug the touch line' to create width when going forward)

Counter or standard mentality, control at most. Never attacking. Full backs (set to wing back attack role) hug touch line wideplay

6 second rule: This is where Barcelona go all out to win the ball back within 6 seconds of losing the ball after 6 second they regain there shape and enter the defensive phase of there play.
(Not sure how to re-create this but any idea would be great) p.s iv put high pressuring on and put close down always on opponents as 'always' but this only goes far as re-creating the 6 second rule

Zonal Marking + more aggressive closing down

2 man defense: this just when they leave 2 men at back, dont think i need to explain this.
One ball playing defender - cover, one normal defender stopper

3 man defense: Now this i have no idea how to re-create! for those who dont know what the 3 man defense is then its basically where the full backs are up the pitch and the 2 CBs play wide and the DM gos into a sweeper role.

Balanced philosophy - allows for the greatest difference between mentality splits, pushes your full backs right up the pitch when attacking. Defensive mid defend, must have the comes deep PPM

Movement: Everyone knows that Barcelona movement is legendary and this moment comes from swamping positions constantly soo iv set my all my from the midfield up to all swap positions and rotate and because the fullbacks to get into all the positions without swapping positions for Barcelona simply tick roam from position. Even After you have done this the movement is still abit dead and some people say tick roam from position on all players but that doesn't work as they lose the shape and creates less passing options.

Movement comes from the quality of the players themselves, dont use roaming, only the wide fowards and the treq should have it. Some issues with ME on movment, it will be improved in next patch

3 passing options: Basically every time a man is on the ball there should be 3 passing options for him.
Very hard to create on fm and it makes it hard as for someone reason the games sees passing to the CB as not an option no matter what!

Limited forward runs, therefore your midfield 3 should be DM defend, DLP support, AP attack

Messi Role: Makes all the key passes see alot of the ball scores alot of goals from that position between the defense and midfield
This is surprisingly easy to re-create, change the ST position to trequartista and set him at target man play to feet.

Pretty much nailed it.

Formation changes during phases of play: Basically changing from 4-3-3 to either 2-5-3 or 3-4-3 when attacking during play to 4-3-3 during the defensive phase of play.
(im not sure if this is possible or not on fm)

The roles you give your players define the attacking shape, this is why its very important you consider the runs they are making. The 4-3-3 will become a 2-5-3 in attack with the right roles. The 3-4-3 is a different formational approach entirely, so you would be creating a second tactic if you wanted that

Last edited:

Counter or standard mentality, control at most. Never attacking. Full backs (set to wing back attack role) hug touch line wideplay

Zonal Marking + more aggressive closing down

One ball playing defender - cover, one normal defender stopper

Balanced philosophy - allows for the greatest difference between mentality splits, pushes your full backs right up the pitch when attacking. Defensive mid defend, must have the comes deep PPM

Movement comes from the quality of the players themselves, dont use roaming, only the wide fowards and the treq should have it. Some issues with ME on movment, it will be improved in next patch

Limited forward runs, therefore your midfield 3 should be DM defend, DLP support, AP attack

Pretty much nailed it.

The roles you give your players define the attacking shape, this is why its very important you consider the runs they are making. The 4-3-3 will become a 2-5-3 in attack with the right roles. The 3-4-3 is a different formational approach entirely, so you would be creating a second tactic if you wanted that

Great idea's on how to get these to workm and im sure to implementing some of this into it well ill implement all of it test it and keep whats good:)

I am trying this myself with all the things you said together with things that Mike explained. I enjoy the barça style of play and be capable of implement this on FM is kind of my dream :p, the ball is the one that has to run, not the players... I will post some results asap.

Edit: Here is my friendlies:
Santos; Bornemouth; Carlisle; United; PSG; City; OM; Roma; Tottenham and Bayern... xD

ps: I am playing with barça of course to test this properly...

Last edited:
I am trying this myself with all the things you said together with things that Mike explained. I enjoy the barça style of play and be capable of implement this on FM is kind of my dream :p, the ball is the one that has to run, not the players... I will post some results asap.

Edit: Here is my friendlies:
Santos; Bornemouth; Carlisle; United; PSG; City; OM; Roma; Tottenham and Bayern... xD

ps: I am playing with barça of course to test this properly...

sounds good let me know the results and also what works well and what doesn't thanks:)

Hi,
This looks great ive started a new game in hopes of creating a tactic like Barca and this huge amount of info should really help alot.

Hi,
This looks great ive started a new game in hopes of creating a tactic like Barca and this huge amount of info should really help alot.

there is more info to come:) + good luck and let me know how you get on

sounds good let me know the results and also what works well and what doesn't thanks:)

I am struggling a little bit with defense! Conceding to much space to the opponent pass the ball around...

In the attack, the kind of football that my team is playing is awesome!!! But I should really get more passes...

I will make a post with details of my tactic asap.

I am struggling a little bit with defense! Conceding to much space to the opponent pass the ball around...

In the attack, the kind of football that my team is playing is awesome!!! But I should really get more passes...

I will make a post with details of my tactic asap.

let me know when you make the post and send me the link:)

Hi, I'm french so I don't understand everything but I'm very intererest about your project.

All the specificities of Barcelona tactics are here.
But I dont understand, have you created a tactic to look the much possible to Barcelona 2010-2011? I don't see any links?

Sory for my questions

Hi, I'm french so I don't understand everything but I'm very intererest about your project.

All the specificities of Barcelona tactics are here.
But I dont understand, have you created a tactic to look the much possible to Barcelona 2010-2011? I don't see any links?

Sory for my questions

Im creating a tactic and iv just added the tactics to where im at soo far

Im creating a tactic and iv just added the tactics to where im at soo far

Ok so if I've understand, you explain us how you create your tactic and you will put the tactic when the tactic will be very good.

Ok so if I've understand, you explain us how you create your tactic and you will put the tactic when the tactic will be very good.

something like that yeah:) but more creating a tactic with the help of the fm community

Hi again ,
So I've spent a few hours setting up a tactic with some of the info on the thread here and i am winning and playing sexy passing style but i seem to be having a problem in that i don't dominate possession at all - in all three competitive matches i have played i have had 55% max i am posting some screenshots , any help would be appreciated .

Jack.View attachment 305774View attachment 305776View attachment 305777View attachment 305779

Hi again ,
So I've spent a few hours setting up a tactic with some of the info on the thread here and i am winning and playing sexy passing style but i seem to be having a problem in that i don't dominate possession at all - in all three competitive matches i have played i have had 55% max i am posting some screenshots , any help would be appreciated .

Jack.View attachment 305774View attachment 305776View attachment 305777View attachment 305779

Set song to DM and Xavi to DLP, your strategy should be anything up to control it shouldn't be attacking/overload if your main aim is to maintain possession, and set the IF's to support.

Back