Re-creating Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona tactic 2010-2011 tactic

• Thread starter Thread starter awalker14
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 117
  • Views Views 44K
Hi again ,
So I've spent a few hours setting up a tactic with some of the info on the thread here and i am winning and playing sexy passing style but i seem to be having a problem in that i don't dominate possession at all - in all three competitive matches i have played i have had 55% max i am posting some screenshots , any help would be appreciated .

Jack.

Try slower tempo: increase time wasting. The tempo is the "tempo" bar together with "time wasting" and the strategy that you use is also important to gain more possession, try change it to control...

And decrease a little bit on width, so the players can be more close to each other...

Hi again ,
So I've spent a few hours setting up a tactic with some of the info on the thread here and i am winning and playing sexy passing style but i seem to be having a problem in that i don't dominate possession at all - in all three competitive matches i have played i have had 55% max i am posting some screenshots , any help would be appreciated .

Jack.View attachment 305774View attachment 305776View attachment 305777View attachment 305779

Change messi role to trequartista
Change time wasting to half way
dont play offside that should help:)
xavi should be a dlp instead of song
song dm or anchor man
change your wingers to AP support
change your strategy to either defensive or control

Ok i have implemented these changes will give it a few games more and report back.just played Galatasaray and won with 55% possession -an improvement so i hope it works.

Ok so i have played with the new tactical modifications for a few matches and the results are promising . i still kept Neymar as an IF as he is awesome like that and did miss a pass for the two games.

looks pretty good your stats! Keep the good work and don´t stop post results!

I tested Gourcuff´s tactic and I decide to go on with my own... His tactic is too asymmetric for me :p (I don´t like the formation but it has a lot of potential to work with). It seems so confused and does not create too much dangerous in crucial areas...

So back to mine... I rewind the save (as I save a different file before Bernabeu´s match for the 2nd leg).
With gourcuff I draw and with mine I lost, but create more danger! Mine needs a few tweaks to gain the ball fast and occupy the space so the opposition does´n have it!

When I have some results I will post...

EDIT: I decide to go with Man Marking instead of zonal... Hope it works!

just a note on playing 3 at the back and pushing your two CB's wide, have you tried hug touch line on them both with no running with the ball or forward runs so they dont follow up the WBR/WBL and just stay in defensive positions, you will still meed to be playing narrow (team instructions).
also your CB should be set as an an anchorman with very defensive instructions... its only a suggestion, i think it should do the trick however i haven't really tried it so i cant say for sure.

ps: any chance of SS of each tactic with the team settings so that we can help you more.. maybe just upload one of each and update it with a newer SS every time its updated or changed? if you can player instructions SS as well if you have used alot of manual instructions..

good luck mate

Last edited:
just a note on playing 3 at the back and pushing your two CB's wide, have you tried hug touch line on them both with no running with the ball or forward runs so they dont follow up the WBR/WBL and just stay in defensive positions, you will still meed to be playing narrow (team instructions).
also your CB should be set as an an anchorman with very defensive instructions... its only a suggestion, i think it should do the trick however i haven't really tried it so i cant say for sure.

ps: any chance of SS of each tactic with the team settings so that we can help you more.. maybe just upload one of each and update it with a newer SS every time its updated or changed? if you can player instructions SS as well if you have used alot of manual instructions..

good luck mate

Iv tried setting the Cbs wide play to hug touch line but it doesnt help also as for the Dm dropping deep to CB it works best to use a Dm and set everything to rarley also set GK to distribute to DM which helps no end and ill upload some screen shots at some point today but ill have to uploads shots of every player due to the individuality of the tactic iv created

Iv tried setting the Cbs wide play to hug touch line but it doesnt help also as for the Dm dropping deep to CB it works best to use a Dm and set everything to rarley also set GK to distribute to DM which helps no end and ill upload some screen shots at some point today but ill have to uploads shots of every player due to the individuality of the tactic iv created

well the 3-4-3 he used which i remember reading a little about (on i think goal.com) was labelled highly controversial in Spain and it had a mix result, and i am pretty sure the reason he came up with it was because Barcelona were short on CBs due to injuries. he knew they would concede goals with both centre halfs injured so hence a more attacking formation but very open at the back... Against Villarreal he dint have one recognized CB so he played from left to right : Abidal - Busquets - Mascherano (Abidal is used to playing wide) mascherano was doing his thing by just closing down so he did cover the right back slot allbit not very well.. my point is if you have used CBs who are not familiar with playing wide then you are not going to get them to go wide... they will just follow their natural position especially when they starting in it... remember that Barcelona conceded and had more draws and losses playing this way than they did playing 4-3-3 .. most goals against them came from right side (which suggests that Macherano didnt cover this as well as Abidal on the left ....

how many games did you play after you made the tweaks mentioned above? and what players did you use in CB positions?

well the 3-4-3 he used which i remember reading a little about (on i think goal.com) was labelled highly controversial in Spain and it had a mix result, and i am pretty sure the reason he came up with it was because Barcelona were short on CBs due to injuries. he knew they would concede goals with both centre halfs injured so hence a more attacking formation but very open at the back... Against Villarreal he dint have one recognized CB so he played from left to right : Abidal - Busquets - Mascherano (Abidal is used to playing wide) mascherano was doing his thing by just closing down so he did cover the right back slot allbit not very well.. my point is if you have used CBs who are not familiar with playing wide then you are not going to get them to go wide... they will just follow their natural position especially when they starting in it... remember that Barcelona conceded and had more draws and losses playing this way than they did playing 4-3-3 .. most goals against them came from right side (which suggests that Macherano didnt cover this as well as Abidal on the left ....

how many games did you play after you made the tweaks mentioned above? and what players did you use in CB positions?

ok... most tactics bacelona played 4-3-3 they just changed shape during the game to 3-4-3/2-1-4-3 during game and the reason you have 3 at the back when playing against 2 strikers and 2 at the back when against 1 striker is soo that you always have the numerical advantage at the back against the opposition strikers

My tactic is based on Pep Guardiola’s perfect 4-3-3

Also with the Cb are you suggesting to play full backs as CB? or somehow train the CBs to play wide? i should also note the CBs only go wide when barcelona are in possession

And with all the tweaks iv made iv played an entire season with my long term derby county save and i won the treble but will be doing testing with derby county first season swansea and liverpool before i release the full tactic

ok... most tactics bacelona played 4-3-3 they just changed shape during the game to 3-4-3/2-1-4-3 during game and the reason you have 3 at the back when playing against 2 strikers and 2 at the back when against 1 striker is soo that you always have the numerical advantage at the back against the opposition strikers

Also with the Cb are you suggesting to play full backs as CB? or somehow train the CBs to play wide? i should also note the CBs only go wide when barcelona are in possession

And with all the tweaks iv made iv played an entire season with my long term derby county save and i won the treble but will be doing testing with derby county first season swansea and liverpool before i release the full tactic
I'm excited of what im hearing from you and im always reading your updates!
waiting for the tactic mate!
Ohh and i almost forgot I tried the beta from the start of this thread..but eventually it wasnt so good..used it half season but i lost a lot and my team doesn't keep so much possession..
Waiting for the full tactic mate!

Hi,

Just an update with a bit of analysis on how I'm getting along trying to create this pep system , tis going well as you can see in screen shots.

After i started playing the two wide guys as AP(support) i saw an increase of possession and passes all together from my team.in the screenshots below is a breakdown of how goals are being scored and created.

Again if anyone has any tips or questions for me please do tell.
View attachment 305941View attachment 305942View attachment 305943View attachment 305944View attachment 305945View attachment 305946View attachment 305947

Hi,

Just an update with a bit of analysis on how I'm getting along trying to create this pep system , tis going well as you can see in screen shots.

After i started playing the two wide guys as AP(support) i saw an increase of possession and passes all together from my team.in the screenshots below is a breakdown of how goals are being scored and created.

View attachment 305941View attachment 305942View attachment 305943View attachment 305944View attachment 305945View attachment 305946View attachment 305947

Can you give the link to this tactic?

I have a 4-3-3 tikka taka tactic sort of based on Barcelona style (still work in progress) that i use with my Newcastle profile and i am getting good results, while its 4-3-3 in shape when i am pinning the opponents back i have seen my DMC in line with my two CB while the Wing back push high up creating the 3-4-3 shape in game play.. I personally just stick to the 4-3-3 tactic as i believe it is the tactic they played and stuck to for a while when they had a fully fit squad, the other tactic were there to confuse the teams that got used to the way they play or to cover up for their injuries as such it was only used for small amount of time...

as for the type of players its difficult to tell as I don't know how you lined up what instructions these players were give and more importantly who these players were. you mention long term Derby profile i am guessing there are a number of regen players in your squad in which case they could be as good pique and Puyol?

my suggestion is to try players similar to Bocchetti who can be used as your left CB, i believe he can play as DL and CB and pacey too which would be important to cover the flanks.. without loading up a profile and looking for players i cant suggest a CB for your right position but like i said before someone like Mascherano could do a job as he can play as DR ...

ps: the three at the back formation i was referring too against Villarreal is completely different to what you trying to achieve here, but yet is another tactic Barcelona used and it basically 3-4-3 diamond.. i think if you end up looking into each different game and reading more about it you will end up with 3 or 4 different tactic and this is because of player movement etc.. i personally think you should concentrate on the 4-3-3 and getting it perfected and you probably start seeing it change in shapes somewhat to what a 3-4-3 looks like...

if you however going to cover up all sub tactics and would like to read more about the 3-4-3 then i recommend this link:

Barcelona 5-0 Villarreal: Guardiola switches to a 3-4-3 (diamond) and Barca run riot | Zonal Marking

Last edited:
Hi,

good amount of passes there but how's your clear cut chances been? looking at the above example I would expect to see 2-3 if you playing Barcelona.. that is the difficult part though; you have to give up some possession to create goals simple as,, the difficulty is getting the balance right....

Back