I do believe he said stop asking whether a certain player can fit the role or not earlier in the thread, just try it out instead and then he might have a chance to get the next tactic done without being distracted.

laffles could you put each tactic in opening post as it would be easier for people to find them. thanks cragswfc

You said you made a new version of the xavi passing tactic with the messi role in it and some changes, will it still make xavi pass 100 passes from a game to another or nothing near it?

You said you made a new version of the xavi passing tactic with the messi role in it and some changes, will it still make xavi pass 100 passes from a game to another or nothing near it?

Not a clue, I literally just changed it to a 4-6-0...

For 3 or so years now the majority of Barcelona's success has been based around a nucleus of key players: Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pique and ofcourse Messi.

Known for his phenominal dribbling skills and vision, Leo Messi is arguably the best contempory footballer the world has seen since the likes of Maradona, Cruyff and the great Pele himself.

In real life Guardiola has found that Messi plays best when not restricted to a single area on the pitch, allowed to roam Messi has become the single most feared weapon in Barcelona's numerous arsenal. He pops up wherever he can cause the most damage to the opposition.

In Football Manager it's ridiculously difficult to get the little genius to do what he does IRL, but I actually think I've managed it.

For the Following Example's Leo is playing as The AM in a 4-6-0, every player around him has been given their respective role but with no tweaks (Xavi-DLP, Alves-Wingback Attack for example) so this is no Barca tactic and no great amount of possession/passes was expected, this was purely to show off my 'Messi Role'.

This is taken from my Barcelona v Espanyol game at the Nou Camp.

So here we have my team in Possession (Abidal to be precise). Messi is highlighted and as you can see has a massive amount of space to move in, with a choice of 3 channels to move into toward goal.

View attachment 173748

The ball inevitably gets to Messi after a pass from Andres Iniesta, and now Leo can do what he does best, run with it. He has a CB coming in to close him down but he has alot of time and space to choose what to do next, he can choose to run inside or outside of the oncoming CB, play it to The Left Winger David Villa or play a through ball to Pedro.

View attachment 173747

Messi Easily beats his man and has a clean run on goal, unfortunately Kameni makes a stunning save to deny him.
View attachment 173749

This is Messi's pass chart post game, as you can see, he was everywhere. I know he only made 24 successful passes but this will increase if put into a 'Barca Style Tactic' where the rest of the team make more passes.

View attachment 173746

Now to the Role.

This role has taken me about a month to get right, thats right. One role, One Month. You should feel priveledged I gave so much time for you ;)

View attachment 173750

I know, looks weird right? Probably the Best Attacker on the Game with a defensive mentality? Blasphemy!

Nah, it's not Actually. It just helps him link with the midfield rather than get isolated up top. It also see's him sit perfectly in the hole and therefore gets the massive space shown above. He's very creative so A high freedom was necessary. Having him close the whole pitch increases general work rate. The rest is pretty self explanatory :)

Oh and for anyone who's interested, I've attached a tactic I modified. Its Retsinabb69's Xavi Passing Tactic, with a few alterations Including my Messi Role at AM ;)

Hi Laffles

Could you recommend which player for Arsenal is suitable for the AMC (Trequartista role). I currently have Van Persie, Arshavin, Nasri and Rosicky. Fabregas will take over the Xavi role and Wilshere plays the Iniesta role.

I also see that you are using the Stopper/Cover system and I wanted to know if that would be the best options with the defenders within the Arsenal Squad. I have not signed any new defenders for my team.

Also would you recommend keeping the counter attack but ticked and does it make a difference to how the teams plays.

Haven't seen anyone mention Beckenbauer. Pretty much invented the sweeper role and nobody has come near him to playing it since.

Would be interesting to see. Going to use your Pele role on my beastly regen. Will let you know how it goes.

I would also like to ask if i could move the messi role to ST, to play a normal 4-5-1? does it make any difference?

I would also like to ask if i could move the messi role to ST, to play a normal 4-5-1? does it make any difference?

Of course it will. If you want your player to play in a similar way to Messi, you should use it exactly how it has been made. Surely that's the point of this thread?

Haven't seen anyone mention Beckenbauer. Pretty much invented the sweeper role and nobody has come near him to playing it since.

Would be interesting to see. Going to use your Pele role on my beastly regen. Will let you know how it goes.

Also want to see beckenbauer role.Never saw a tactic here with a sweeper that worked!

To answer the guy above - I've been using the Messi role for Neymar as a STL, and he's doing great. Tweaked it a bit to make him cross more, though, but he's scored 6 in 8 with it so far

To answer the guy above - I've been using the Messi role for Neymar as a STL, and he's doing great. Tweaked it a bit to make him cross more, though, but he's scored 6 in 8 with it so far

Alright, thanks mate. I think the best way to find out is by trying it myself.

Role 3- Lothar Emmerich, The One Few of you will have heard of before.

Right for my 3rd role I thought I'd do something alot more challenging. I've taken a fairly unknown player in Emmerich and researched him. He was actually a very dangerous German Left Winger/Striker famed for his goalscoring and dribbling ability. Emmerich lacked any great pace and was famous for 1-2 Passes to get into positions and then use a great amount of technical skill to get the job done. He was also famous for moving in from the Left to act as a supporting Striker.

Just as a little bit of info, here are his career stats to show you just how impressive this guy was...

1960–1969Borussia Dortmund 215(126)
1969–1970K Beerschot VAV (Only Played Friendlies)
1971–1972Austria Klagenfurt (""""""")
1972–19761. FC Schweinfurt 05 92(67)
1976–1977Würzburger FV 42(25)
1978Kickers Würzburg 25(19)

He also made 5 national appearances for West Germany, Scoring 2 goals. He was considered one of the major threats in the 1966 World Cup.

Here's my traditional role show-off, again just put into a standard formation (4-5-1) I'm using Hulk of Porto as the Emmerich Substitute.

View attachment 178222

As you can see, Joao Moutinho (Advanced Playmaker, Support) has stolen the ball away from the Benfica player, Hulk is circled in red and is moving to collect the ball on the inevitable Moutinho pass.

View attachment 178219

As predicted Hulk picks the ball up, and begins to Cut inside. Falcao seeing this, moves out toward the wing (There is no Position Swap on). Hulk has lots of Support.

View attachment 178221

Hulk Passes to Guarin, Who Lays it to Moutinho who Plays it Back to Hulk, now definately in the Striker Role, The green indicates Hulks movement between Screenshots.

View attachment 178220

Hulk sends it wide to Falcao and drives into space, knowing of the oncoming through ball.

View attachment 178218

Hulk now has the ball in the box, and drives forwards, like any good striker.

View attachment 178223

Finally! One of my examples ends in a goal! Admittedly Luisao knocked it in from Hulks Shot but I feel that would've gone in anyway.

So Thats Winger- Striker transition, One-Two Passes, Great Movement and a Goal. All from a player I doubt many of you have heard of! Not Bad Eh?

Now to The Role

THE ROLE

View attachment 178228

As You can see it's highly aggressive in its Mentality and Set-Up. Mainly Cause I wanted this Role to take on the Main Goalscoring Role from out Wide. The Lack of Running from Deep allows the player to Stay higher up the pitch and pressure the defence, getting on the end of counter-attacks/long balls. He is set to cut inside and as you can see has no position swap, this allows him to be alot more difficult to pick up by the Opposition Cb's.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your new Role guys, Not sure about who I'm doing next.

Much Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpyjYKNpy2o

Last edited:
Brilliant thread and i'm enjoying trying out the ones you've put out so far.
Hopfully people stop spamming suggestions and dumb questions.

If you want to know if it works for a player just save your game and try it for abit, if it doesn't work reload and don't do it.
Not hard, stop being lazy ;)

Oh and if anyone fancies posting there own 'Legend' Role feel free. Make sure its good though ;) Post evidence, Screenshots and such.

Nice Emmerich role btw, suprised you did him seeing as though not many people would know who he is.
Seem a lot of videos about the 66 world cup and his goal against Spain was pretty **** nice.

Can't wait for your Cruyff role, be interesting to see if it works out on FM I tried doing one myself ages ago and gave up pretty quickly :p

This Emmerich role sounds a bit like a david villa role actually, or is it just me?

This Emmerich role sounds a bit like a david villa role actually, or is it just me?
Considering Emmerich had played past the peak of his career, retired then gone into managment before Villa was even born it would make more sence if you said David Villas role sounds a bit like Emmerichs.

Right for my 3rd role I thought I'd do something alot more challenging. I've taken a fairly unknown player in Emmerich and researched him. He was actually a very dangerous German Left Winger/Striker famed for his goalscoring and dribbling ability. Emmerich lacked any great pace and was famous for 1-2 Passes to get into positions and then use a great amount of technical skill to get the job done. He was also famous for moving in from the Left to act as a supporting Striker.

Just as a little bit of info, here are his career stats to show you just how impressive this guy was...

1960–1969Borussia Dortmund 215(126)
1969–1970K Beerschot VAV (Only Played Friendlies)
1971–1972Austria Klagenfurt (""""""")
1972–19761. FC Schweinfurt 05 92(67)
1976–1977Würzburger FV 42(25)
1978Kickers Würzburg 25(19)

He also made 5 national appearances for West Germany, Scoring 2 goals. He was considered one of the major threats in the 1966 World Cup.

Here's my traditional role show-off, again just put into a standard formation (4-5-1) I'm using Hulk of Porto as the Emmerich Substitute.

View attachment 178222

As you can see, Joao Moutinho (Advanced Playmaker, Support) has stolen the ball away from the Benfica player, Hulk is circled in red and is moving to collect the ball on the inevitable Moutinho pass.

View attachment 178219

As predicted Hulk picks the ball up, and begins to Cut inside. Falcao seeing this, moves out toward the wing (There is no Position Swap on). Hulk has lots of Support.

View attachment 178221

Hulk Passes to Guarin, Who Lays it to Moutinho who Plays it Back to Hulk, now definately in the Striker Role, The green indicates Hulks movement between Screenshots.

View attachment 178220

Hulk sends it wide to Falcao and drives into space, knowing of the oncoming through ball.

View attachment 178218

Hulk now has the ball in the box, and drives forwards, like any good striker.

View attachment 178223

Finally! One of my examples ends in a goal! Admittedly Luisao knocked it in from Hulks Shot but I feel that would've gone in anyway.

So Thats Winger- Striker transition, One-Two Passes, Great Movement and a Goal. All from a player I doubt many of you have heard of! Not Bad Eh?

Now to The Role

THE ROLE

View attachment 178228

As You can see it's highly aggressive in its Mentality and Set-Up. Mainly Cause I wanted this Role to take on the Main Goalscoring Role from out Wide. The Lack of Running from Deep allows the player to Stay higher up the pitch and pressure the defence, getting on the end of counter-attacks/long balls. He is set to cut inside and as you can see has no position swap, this allows him to be alot more difficult to pick up by the Opposition Cb's.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your new Role guys, Not sure about who I'm doing next.

Much Love

YouTube - ‪Lothar Emmerich 1966‬‏

Laffles have you got him set up as a Winger or Inside Forward