Replicating Borussia Dortmund's Gegenpressing (Take 2)

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 50K
Major Update - Will Require Testers

So I went away and made further testing regards to my released tactics whilst taking whatever comments I have been given on board to improve this tactic. So I have been told that my 'Attack' tactic works well at Home as well as against weaker teams but does not work as effective against stronger or equivalent teams or if you are playing away. So, after some comments that have been posted and given privately I have come up with new ideas on improvements that have worked well for me and this is what I have come up with.

Tactic A - Home Tactic

View attachment 542655

I have decided to keep my BVB Attack tactic as the Home tactic since it has worked fairly well. So no introduction to that.

Tactic B - Away Tactic/Against Tougher Teams

View attachment 542656

The idea behind this tactic is giving the back 4 a bit more protection in an away match. Compared to the home tactic, my right winger and one of my central midfielder is moved deeper to a right midfield and defensive midfield position respectively. Letting my front 3 do the attacking. I have also moved my Advanced Playmaker more to the left to encourage it working with the Inside Forward a bit more, basically trying to replicate the 'Gotzeus' combination. My AP is set with running wide with the ball which encourages the AP to run round whilst the IF will cut inside and get in the vacated space that the AP will make. Further on, since the front 3 will be more of the main focus for the away tactic, the Right Winger will lurk from outside or out wide, sneaking in to the far post to finish off any crosses aimed at the far post. Kind of reminds me of how Blaszczykowski does for Dortmund in my opinion.
As for the Defensive Midfield, I feel either a DM or an Anchor Man will work for that position depending what type of player you play in the DM position, similar to how Dortmund plays with either Kehl and Bender. Kehl is more of the Anchor Man and Bender is more of the DM or BWM player. DM role for extra closing down or an Anchor Man who intercepts play, shields the Centre Backs and playing short passes to the more creative, attacking players.

Tactic C - Playing Against teams with 2 Defensive Midfielders

View attachment 542672

With this tactic, basically a more narrow 4-2-3-1. I have noticed when I used my Home tactic against teams who play 2 DMs, basically, it didn't really work. I feel that the single Advanced Playmaker was marked by at least one of the opposition Defensive Midfield. Hence why I have created this tactic as a Plan C. Operates similar to my home tactic and it works well away from home too. What I have done here is, I have set the two Advanced Playmakers to run wide with the ball and you must have them man mark opposition full backs/wing backs. Since this tactic is made to counter against teams who play 2 Defensive Mids, by having 3 Attacking Midfielders for them to play against, it would give them a lot more to think about regards to who they will mark.

So overall, in real life, Dortmund are able to play a number of formations whilst maintaining their philosophy of pressing the opposition and this is what I am trying to replicate. I know so far it may be not perfect but I am still working and tweaking and testing this with teams. It would be great if people are willing to give this a try. Give us some feedback, screenshots or anything that you can that may contribute, that would be great.

Results So Far

Man United (New Save)
View attachment 542728View attachment 542731View attachment 542737

View attachment 542738View attachment 542739View attachment 542741
View attachment 542742View attachment 542751View attachment 542752
View attachment 542753View attachment 542755View attachment 542757
View attachment 542760View attachment 542763View attachment 542766
View attachment 542769View attachment 542772View attachment 542776
View attachment 542778View attachment 542779View attachment 542781

Borussia Dortmund (Will Update More Soon)

View attachment 542786

View attachment 542845
View attachment 542846
View attachment 542847

Will test mate need download links

Will test mate need download links

Looks vey good mate. What about training, match prep and opp instructions?

It's all in the first page but

Training and Match Prep:
Pre-season: Tactics & Very High - Tactics Only
In Season: Balanced & Average - Def Positioning or Attacking Movement depending if you want Defending stability or more goals.

Opposition Instructions:

- When playing against a team that mirrors your formation 4-2-3-1

What I do here is not close the Central Midfielders down when setting my OI (I let my assistant handle the OI only if his tactic attribute is 15+) As I feel if the team is also focused on closing the opposition CM down. They may lose focus on the opposition AMC, their creator, to ensure the opposition AMC does not get the space and time to pick out the killer pass.

I would also to add if one of the deep central midfielders have high passing and creativity rate, I advise to close him down too. But only close down one of the deeper central midfielders maximum.

- Exploit the Middle when playing against non narrow tactics.

- When playing against a team who plays Narrow. Such as a narrow 4-4-2 Diamond or a 4-2-3-1 with no Wingers or any narrow formations which focus the play in the middle.

I found that it worked best when I instruct the team to Exploit the Flanks as well as showing the opposition full backs to theirweaker foot. I have found that it absolutely destroys their formation.

- When you have the possession but not the shots/goals

I increase the tempo. It does help and it has helped me the odd times to nick a goal when I need the goals at crucial times.

- As for OIs, I tend to leave it to the Assistant Manager if he has the Tactical Knowledge stat of at least 15. And make sure the central midfield pairing are closed down.

Further enhancing the pressing

- Man mark the best passing central defender of the opposition.

Set your striker to specifically man mark the best passer of the back 4 so the weaker one will do the passing and since this is a 4-2-3-1, the wingers will sort the the opposition full backs out (no specific instructions needed). If both CBs have same passing stat, man mark the most creative of the two.

- Read the scout report

Check which area the opposition gain the most assists.

For example, if the opposition gains the most assists on the right wing. I additionally set my LB to close down more and my left sided central midfield to close down more to shut off the supply from their strongest area.

If checking from my tactic above. The example I just used means my LB and Deep lying playmaker would be set to close down more for this particular match. HOWEVER the partner to my Deep lying playmaker is assigned the Central Midfielder role with the Defend duty, and the CM - D already has Close down more by default and I heavily advise to set the CM - D to Close down less in order to have at least one midfielder to shield the back 4. But of course, only use this for the scenario above.

But just to make this easier..... if the opposition gains the most assists on the left wing. Set the RB - Close down more and since the right sided central midfielder (the CM - D) already has close down more, you're sorted in that area. Just a tip here.

And:
This is what I use for my current Opposition Instructions Set up.

For any formation with these players:

Wingers/Wide Midfielders - Tackle Hard, Weaker Foot
Strikers - Tackle Hard, Weaker Foot

For formations with CM and AMC:

CM - Tackle Hard, Weaker Foot
More Creative CM - Closing Down as well
Less Creative CM - Tight Mark instead
AMC - Close down, Tackle Hard, Weaker Foot

For Formations with CM and DM:

CM: Close down, Tackle Hard and Weaker Foot
DM: Close down (Specifically man mark DM with your AMC)

For Formation with a Flat 4 Midfield.. like 4-4-2:
CM: Close Down, Tackle Hard and Weaker Foot

Lost 2-1 to Standard but their goals were a penalty and Reina deciding that a Standard player actually played for Liverpool and gave it to him, 5 CCCs to their 1, our striker/midfielders thought that after scoring 6 at Newcastle, they didn't need to score in this game. Nothing wrong with the tactic, we dominated and should have won.

View attachment 397572View attachment 397571

Might remove the tackling hard on the strikers and just keep it to closing down; my defenders kept fouling them in good areas and we conceded a penalty after 2 minutes because of a stupid tackle on a striker. I'll see how that goes.

First game played with the away tactic. It was 1-1 at half-time with 7 shots each, second half we blew them away, forcing loads of errors which is just like gegenpressing. Used assistant for OI and played wider due to them using a flat 4-4-2 formation. Next game's away at Standard Liege in the Champions League, I'll post some screens of that.

View attachment 549472View attachment 549475View attachment 549477View attachment 549479

Lost 2-1 to Standard but their goals were a penalty and Reina deciding that a Standard player actually played for Liverpool and gave it to him, 5 CCCs to their 1, our striker/midfielders thought that after scoring 6 at Newcastle, they didn't need to score in this game. Nothing wrong with the tactic, we dominated and should have won.

View attachment 549490View attachment 549492

Might remove the tackling hard on the strikers and just keep it to closing down; my defenders kept fouling them in good areas and we conceded a penalty after 2 minutes because of a stupid tackle on a striker. I'll see how that goes.

Looking good mate. Hope this keeps up. Yeah, I've noticed it sort of lacks a bit when playing a 4-4-2. I guess if playing wide may help playing against 4-4-2 formations. I'll note that down. But keep me updated. Been busy so haven't done too much further testing. Half way through a save with Southampton and managed to get them top of the table by the end of November. Will post some screens soon. Hope it continues mate!

Back