Unlucky mate! Still a great experience for James!

Cheers! Will maybe have the Ajax game up tonight since that's a big one then a lot of updates over the weekend! Get the season finished and see if Imma stay or goooo

I'm really enjoying the south African save! Not fancy trying to turn Santos into a dominant force?

"Nothing more annoying than that, eh bossman?" Monday said, folding his arms after we barrage Bloemfontein Celtic with ten men but couldn't find the 3 points.

"It's a ****** sore one. I mean, I'd have taken the point when Burds was sent off but how didn't we grab 3 or 4 tonight? ****** stupid. Get them in there and settled. I'll be there after the press."

2e7be4372fa89f705f97874489a046aa.png

d7a3476b9e44699919a31eb36551b1e5.png

Incredibly disappointing. Beginning to get a little impatient with a few performances, too many players not performing. Could easy be top 4 right now rather than lingering around the middle of the table.

0b44942b336b2d887c8aa873a2ee69ad.png

"Right lads, decent session today. Some of those set-pieces are looking alright. Get yourselves changed, showered whatever then meet me in meeting room."
I said as they came in from a very light session.

"Talking about recent form, Mr Bossman?" Monday said, as he followed in behind me. Still at a complete loss that he calls me Bossman despite being very good friends.

"Yes, Monday. Hurry up lads."

//

"Right, I mean it doesn't take a genius to see that really our form has dropped recently. With 1 win in our last 7 it isn't good enough. I'm just keen our heads don't drop and we continue to play our football. Let's just play our football yeah?! No worries about what happens outside this stadium and if you have any issues or anything the club and I are here for you. I know it is a rocky time for South Africa."

"Yeah, boss. Football does need improving but like a lot of Cape Town based clubs and players there's some serious problems - It's across the country sure, but there's a real divide here." Arendse piped up, adding to the conversation and it looked like it opened a few others up.

"Yeah, I've flown my folks to France for a month and had to move into a hotel because there's way too many issues near Hendon Park. Fires, riots."
Sibanda spoke out too and before we knew it myself and Monday became very aware of the problems players were going through in the area.

Monday even mentioned to me that it was the worse South Africa had been in a while, it didn't quite match the ANCs riots and acts of terror / or freedom during the Apartheid but there was serious issues. I was away from most the violence, I was in a gated community and relatively safe but the News did detail some of the harsher realities of what was going on, very little was being done my Police and it was getting worrying.

"Hello, James. It's Mr Goolam Allie. Can you come in around 12 today? Lunch time meeting and such."

"Yeah, I sure can. What is it to discuss exactly?"

"Just a couple of things with the players, contracts, the sorts!"

"Right, okay. See you around 12."

I knew the meeting was coming, it was a seasonal thing, where we talk about expiring deals and of course this year with the incredibly scary scenes around South Africa. However, I was one of those contracts and I suspect most the talking today will be about such.

//

"Welcome Mr McKenzie. Come on in, few things to talk about but firstly we would like to enter contract negotiations with yourself."

"Honestly, guys, I don't know if I can sign on. The situation here in South Africa is turbulent but I may become interested come the end of the season if things calm down here."

"What? Really? Why?" The directors bellowed back.

"Because of the situation here in South Africa.."
I repeated.

"African problems like this end very quickly, don't be so silly!" Tshuba shouted across to me.

"Yeah, sure but it's new for me. I don't know as I said, I will renew at the end of the season if things go well over the next 6 months."

"See Goolam, this is why we do not sign unknown stupid managers from somewhere else huh? They can't deal with managerial politics or domestic issues."

"Thank you for your time today, gents. You have my number." And I left. Did I really just get criticised by some director? Wow! Anyway, football to be played I guess.

0d8663642aae62b73a6aab3dba25cd30.png

You've had 2 good years there, time is ripe for a move!

One of the big things that put me off this whole management thing was the pressure. Something I hadn't really experienced in the first season, everything fell for me. We played out of our skin and results forever went in our favour and now things seem to be stacking. There is the now-awkward directors who are lining up new targets after I decided I wasn't sure what my plans were due to the ongoing unrest in South Africa and a couple of our best talents are wanting moves away. It was getting a little hot and the press made noise about my contract - I would maybe be forced to fight for the contract I didn't want if the directors and media had their ways.

0f8998da499d8d66fa4b21818c6360f9.png

def034ff177dd88dbd0f76aa83fb7352.png

Christmas 2015

927f52244594df24b6de9c254f954841.png

It was the great Christmas break of 2015 and I was back off to the United Kingdom for a bit of a break, like aforementioned there wasn't many people to see but I had a few friends and people to meet up with after my time in South Africa through interviews. I'd spend a few days in and around London before spending Christmas Day with Neil Alex, one of the SFA North coaches who I worked with for a few years before he left to work with Celtics Developmental Squad. It was an interesting break as an agent I met in London teased me with a move to England. I had apparently opened a few eyes across the UK - not mainstream media bar a few things here and there but people really took notice. Chesterfield needed a new boss and a few drinks too many and I woke up to Emails asking about my interest. Whoops!

This immediately put me in the running for the post as it was over a few papers around Chesterfield apparently and got a little bit of a mention on the BBC site. Now, Chesterfield is a long way from London and it was weird I ended up getting linked with the post.

I had to deal with calls from a few players then an angry director who was of course angry at me saying I wanted the move when they gave me so much - why would I just leave them like this?

Tyren Arendse, the captain and key player (first season anyway) announced his retirement without any discussion with myself, Monday or other non-playing staff.

Christmas came and went with football in the UK going on and on. Chesterfield remained fighting for League 2 promotion, while Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal were all runners with the Premier League. It was so exciting and for a moment I thought I was having my 2 weeks off before returning to Scottish kids but instead it was 2 days before I returned to South Africa and I had an email from Santos once again, asking me to reconsider terms and a new deal.

I told them I wouldn't want any contract to be discussed until March at least with the current problems in the country.

And honestly, a move to Chesterfield could be decent. Foot in the door in English football? I'd take it. What a huge job for a man with no playing experience?

However, December 30th fell and I was on a plane back to Cape Town. We had the lads back in full training preparing for an away visit to Sundowns. Maybe my move back to the UK wasn't to be and a few of the players didn't seem quite so happy with me while the man Monday was also a little angry!

Colin Lee was announced as Chesterfield manager. What an opportunity that could have been.

Lets go Santos!

Ah that sucks. Chesterfield would have been great!

e6325fc16ec6a2963a310ecc705c0c7a.png

Now I would really like to get over to Europe for my professional hours that would contribute to my Uefa licenses.. Shall see!​

"This is such a joke, Monday. Why can't players play!?" I turned and screamed from the touchline as Amazulu scored their third. We were 2-0 up. We were ****** dreadful at football and I don't know how.

"And people [BEEP]ing cry about me saying I might look elsewhere? Who would want to stay to see these guys try to play football? What a [beep]ing joke!" I continued to rant.

"No one gets changed, Monday. No one. I will be through in a couple"

7bb2b4859e3070ec2badebc105270cce.png

"What is wrong with your ears? How hard is it to stick tight to the Diamini twins? They BOTH had specific instructions and you lads were completely lost. Absolutely LOST. Sachin, Pa what on Earth were you doing for that first goal? Mo, missing that sitter? All of you - sprints NOW!"

178f4147692a405247074e98a073aaf3.png

Most talented? He's on a month to month deal until someone else picks him up?! Good bye!

cbe0305b3b6d0ecb291a9556b990231f.png

No need for big heads or unnecessary wages huh?

Also, Modibo Sidibe wants out. Felt £250,000 was enough as he was desperate to go - personally would have wanted double but clubs were interested..

12a935fb5007a31470d89b1e804cb119.png

Be a busy day trying to find a replacement.