Thankfully the loan market exists so I can bring some talent into Ireland without any costs. I am used to a 4-2-3-1 but getting that to suitably work here might be tough. I might revert to the old 4-4-2 and have an old Target Man and Poacher combination up top with this monster being a key part.

2293f39f0526d2d4642ceb6e326e2561.png

We have players at the club who can be seen as poachers, but Tottenham hot prospect Agus will join us on loan also.

81760985b53ad2ea40a1fd79333a2687.png

Great physicals, can easily be the legs up top while Uche receives, holds it and releases. Easy!​

Experimenting

ee0d4d8c0488bfc679a82bc27a73ead0.png

Pre-season is the prime time to sort fitness, cohesion and tactics out and after months of waiting I finally had my players available to work with and we set up a few friendlies, some against smaller sides from around Ireland but we still put on bigger ties for family fun days - no Manchester United's because it is the middle of January but Ludogorets are right up there with them, right?

As aforementioned, the 4-4-2 was the plan for this year. It had been played with as well as a very narrow 4-3-3 but I ultimately need to use wide men due to the number of them at the club.

a88f6cf7d0635a617b3178988f57fb0b.png

I am very confident this can work out for us, the wide winger and a more narrow third man for the strikers has always worked for me. With the almost 4 men up top I have Mr Brennan playing a little deeper in the middle of the park while experienced Keith Fahey will be expected to work.

It was hard picking a side because it is quite large; full of very similar talent but I've changed up my tactical thoughts from my Santos days. New to the managerial game and have no real philosophy in mind.

And our results pre-season would suggest we were doing something right - I won't let this completely decide it is a great tactic, but players worked as I wanted them to.

29925765d1a057d6db5a6cfad4e96cc9.png

We were dealt a blow though as finances went a whole £1,000,000 in the red. Not great for a club in a league of such a size.

But for now we prepare for our All-Irish Cup affair with Portadown, quite a big cup competition by all accounts here in Ireland, it's the fourth oldest cup competition in the world so holds a lot of tradition. Eyes will be on me to see how a Scotsman can fare in Ireland.

FourFourTwo wanted to follow me and the club in the lead up to my first game in charge against Portadown, it would have a small feature on their YouTube site and a 2 page exclusive in their next issue, which would be a picture of me and interview questions surrounding it. I wasn't sure how I felt about the attention but The Hoops' PR made it certain that I couldn't say no.

87c3eed4c688520b9277ffc2a0110c39.png

"How's life in Ireland differing from your South African experiences?"

"It's certainly different, there's not the whole issues with xenophobia and poverty wars like they began to experience a little more heavily over there. I've had a good opportunity to chill and relax."

"Your last competitive game was way back in May, it is now January. What's it like preparing for a competitive tie again? Especially with such pressure from fans?"

"Well, I was hired in November and our first fixture is coming now. I had a tough summer getting into a job and honestly just happy to be here. I had pre-season to remove any of the preparation nerves and rustiness so I am really ready to go."

"And you replace Pat Fenlon, he had a poor season - where do you stand? Are you here to better his results?"

"Of course, I mean all respect to Pat. I remember he came to Scotland with Hibs and got to the Scottish Cup final twice and ultimately did alright but his time back here was very poor and any manager coming in here would want to bring Shamrock Rovers back into the light."

"And Santos FC, do you miss them?"

"No, not really. I appreciate that they got me into management but no. I don't miss being there. I enjoyed my time there, but missing it is a no. As far as I know this season half my star players have been dropped and they are fighting to stay up as well so yeah, happy in Ireland."

_580924_portadown-300.jpg

We were supposedly clear favourites for our tie against Portadown, we play away first and ultimately I'd be desperate for an away goal or 2. They finished 4th last season in Northern Ireland so really I am confident. We are missing some of my bigger players but have quality able to step in.

We would be playing at Shamrock Park, in Portadown. Funny one.

We arrived after our 120km bus journey and I was excited. Desperate to get going. This is where we would show people what we meant this season. It was going to be a freezing night with a bit of wind and rain so wasn't really a glamorous tie and the FourFourTwo journo was also in a grump for such a reason.

"Right lads, you know how I want you to play. Gary Twigg will be desperate to score coming against the club that love him, shut him down. Don't give him space. But we have been over all that. Tonight is your night. Go show everyone what Shamrock Rovers is about!"

It was a nervy first few. Very scrappy, like the tie would always have been. However, a long diagonal followed by a cross bounced off a few players before Loanee Glenn Agus grabbed his first goal in his first game for the club. Massive away goal after only ten minutes. We were clearly struggling with the midfield, they played 5 while we had 4 - with 2 playing a lot more advanced.

However, that was no problem as McCabe converted from the spot after 25! 2-0! and then 3 right before half time. I was honestly almost nervous ahead of this tie. No bother!

327f6da6a53536e5bbfa29a5fa78f832.png

Another player in on loan as we continue to build despite financial ruin at the club. Had been a very good feature in Palace's Under 21 side, with around 15 assists and 4 goals in 17 starts. Also featured in 1 premier league tie this season.

b5a159761566a3f23bbe7def07a6c724.png

Final Preparation

Final deals done as we approach the start of the league season. I feel I have everything in place for a strong season, consistency will be key and hopefully we can challenge for the title. The chairman has made it abundantly clear that I must focus on a title challenge, cup competition - all 3 of them - do not matter despite fans wanting me to do well in the All-Ireland Cup and the Senior Challenge Cup.

f2574dfd39f7d8427d4d06f51860f290.png

Ended up breaking the bank with the £2,700 deal to bring Flatt into the club as a keeper. He's 22 and my new assistant manager reckons we can turn him into a legend of the Irish Premier Division and he might even make moves back to England for good money.

a273a50928f0d9c6ca4b41902bcba11f.png

Has a few things to work on, one on ones and Handling being the main ones. Others will come with age and experience and I plan on having him playing the majority of games this year. Previous #1 Brian Murphy won't be happy but will give him the cup competitions.

With the league looming, the media expect us to mount a challenge again.

e7b77a9e5a9a1536bbdb1755d1a1760a.png

Dundalk, Sligo Rovers and St Pats are all strong sides though, and it is vitally important that we look very strong and do not drop points against any of the minnows of the league, particularly newly-promoted Cobh Ramblers and the likes of Shelbourne, Longford and UCD. Funny to see Bohemians so low in the medias opinion as I came here thinking they were one of the big challengers. It is a close league though and I am desperate for silverware this year. 3 Cups and a top 2 would be nice but why not aim for the Quadruple?!

The All-Ireland Cup will see us have to face off against Cliftonville, though. They have won the Northern Irish Premiership 3x in a row now and do look strong despite recently getting smashed by Maribor 7-0 on aggregate in the Champions League. A win here could really set us up for a strong season. Definitely excited and really think this could be a good year of silverware for me.

I woke up to an email from the board reiterating what was expected of me this season and as stated in my contract I could be sacked if we don't meet expectations bladey blaa blaa.

699a79cf6c453326bba010aeafbcf31a.png

It pretty much stated "FIX OUR LEAGUE MESS" after a very poor season last time around. I personally want to win the cups, desperately. Silverware can only add to my CV and can make teams take me seriously. I'd also love a league win under my belt and doing it in Ireland would be very fun. It may be a one season stop - financial situation and crazy off-season / winter break is very off-putting.

a811005467bf00ccc9ca0f36853d097f.png

I felt we had a very solid pre-season, 3 popular days with the fans against Ludogorets, Bayern's second side and AaB. It let me get closer to the fans who were very skeptical of my move. We now have the season ahead of us, with Cliftonville coming only days before our home fixture against Derry City. Exciting, really!

My aims for this year were detailed in the FourFourTwo Special. I wanted to bring The Hoops back to prominence after Fenlon's short spell, mainly with a strong league finish and title challenge. I'd love to set Ireland alight with big wins in the All-Ireland Cup while showing people who I was in the Senior Challenge Cup. I wanted to do something with the club. Bring a few eyes to Ireland and show people what Shamrock Rovers could do - and what I could do. Drawing Cliftonville in the All-Ireland Cup makes the whole big win thing a little harder - also almost got dumped out in a home scare against Portadown but that doesn't get talked about anymore.

Just caught up, Cracking story and congrats on the move, Should be interesting in Ireland, Hopefully qualify for CL qualifiers to help boost the finances!! Im going to miss Monday though haha! Monday for Shamrock!!!

Just caught up, Cracking story and congrats on the move, Should be interesting in Ireland, Hopefully qualify for CL qualifiers to help boost the finances!! Im going to miss Monday though haha! Monday for Shamrock!!!

Monday was the man! Dunno how he'd cope with Ireland, hoping we can push for first and ultimately Champions League qualifiers. The winter / post-season break is a killer here though, or so it feels.

Thanks for the reading and the comments! :D

Getting Going

7991202d6deefb8b5740d8cd55c5596e.png

Now, I am not going to sit here and say the football played in Ireland is top quality because it isn't.. it really isn't. However, there is some moments of magic.. and madness and I am enjoying myself at Shamrock Rovers.

552d6f9ede25acfd1291789ca0efc99c.png

I am a master of the mind over here too, but ultimately just playing my game and sending the lads out with the same mindset.

I felt Portadown would be a real test but it wasn't and then we were matched with Cliftonville in the next round of the All-Ireland Cup and then I really felt the Northern Irish Champions would put me under a bit of strain but we had no real issues there.

5c749f7dbda23b02aca3b77fe12a7169.png

This means we are in the semi finals to face fellow Southerners St Pats Athletics. Which will be a proper challenge as they look strong in the league and are among the favourites for the title. As for the league, we have started okay, and as expected.

5d6a7859d1c01e3318c4963d6946d9bd.png

The Cork City game was a disappointment. Byrne gave away an early penalty before picking up a second yellow within minutes - sending him off before we got to half time. Wasn't a tough game but was hard to play our style on our wide pitch with only 10 men. Happy not to have lost.

6c1e9289fe8fd10aea4b3a961ce5cb14.png

Early days but things have started fine. Sligo Rovers are looking scary though, crazy firepower while Dundalk haven't conceded in 3.

Loanees Uche Ikpeazu and Glen Agus have both been solid but picked up injuries, making central defender Madden my best player thus far.

fe7bed104031cf7ae5b4ba9444d38c84.png

f7e8413d8fb9cfd4030f351f8c4e6b61.png

We prepare for the All-Ireland Cup Semi Final ties - it also sets up for a very large Irish crowd - hopefully we can shh them and grab some important away goals. It's a different tie now though, not a Northern Irish side but instead one of our main competitors on our side of the border.

I'd change my tactics up a fair bit, instead of a direct style I'd drop a striker and then ask Agus to play deeper too, being more involved. Risky but we shall see how this new tactic fairs.

Early on it looked like it wouldn't work, I changed a couple of roles but half time came at us being a goal down. Fahey, the key man and head in the middle of the park was having an absolute mare.

A few tweaks and words of advice changed things and a route one ball was brought down by Glenn Agus and he turned the defender just to smash it in from 20 yards. He grabbed another with his pace after a poor attempt at a header from their centre back as we broke from a corner. Consistent Hanrahan managed to grab us a huge third, allowing us a 2 goal margin and 3 away goals to bring home.

71a3a2b732fd9dd4cebc39f60e851400.png

Northern Ireland's last hope Linfield grabbed 2 away goals at Dundalk but they'd need to repeat their Quarter Final Comeback to have any chance of a final meeting against either St Pats or ourselves.

ea3f0f17a4bb6171bcc3c33d6d6889cb.png

Glenn Agus humiliated you, mate! Gonna be getting pretty close the the legend that is Richard Dunne apparently too.

4d5e0d3ed7393aa3ce3100436c382dae.png

6f69f04d871ed81c81b812d2098d96e8.png

Magic with the mind and words these days!

71de99442c20a62f7023d27d06ed831f.png

Decent little youngster too, playing him a fair bit as he is not only a very solid little left back he's 17 and could provide cash for the club.. or become a legend!

"Almost a capacity crowd for once today boys, we have a lead and it is simple do your jobs, you're paid decent enough money to do it. Just do your jobs."

I had made a couple of changes with the congestion of fixtures with you know, all the continental fixtures..

3d6755d85668356767e7d578b57643b5.png

But the side was still strong, Glenn Agus started but Ikpeazu had to remain on the bench - I've not been able to start with my duo up top in quite some time but hopefully they'll get minutes together tonight.

d87d4b1c625f97a752b97f42af4a3d5a.png

Linfield were removed from the competition after a well-structured bus parking tactic from Dundalk that saw them take a barrage of shots throughout after Linfield's early goal.

6927b8baf9c28cc66dab224ce4344ef2.png

However, we scored early and unlike Linfield we managed to score more despite Craig Fagan's efforts at keeping us quiet. Emphatic 8-3 win on aggregate. Would have liked to have faced Linfield but will happily take Dundalk as I seek out my first piece of silverware.

Also very pleased with how Ikpeazu and Agus linked when he came on at half time - grabbing an assist for Agus' 47th minute strike.

062cf3adfa463ff599e6dec49f82b45e.png

ef2bc6fcec677c006e01d7c48ad21996.png

Excited to face off against Southern buddies, Dundalk. Will not be easy but I am desperate for my first winners medal and to give the Hoops fans a taste of it too as they failed to pick up any wins last season.

First proper loss experienced after a run where we drop many points. Meaning we are five points off the top, still very early of course but disappointing results.

8ad30093344a64e5a251b4e4ddc7e034.png

We got complacent after smashing St Pats and we were just poor in front of goal against Longford. Dundalk - had it been on grass and not an astro - could have made a difference too. I was the only one to really experience astro at a regular level after time in Scotland, these players were totally used to playing regularly on grass bar Dundalk visits. It didn't help the way we tried to play and couldn't get anything going.

92f0c4de690f1d0ec446e3431a274366.png

Galway United have come out of no where and perform very well, Dundalk look very good at the back too - and unsurprisingly haven't lost at home. Their synthetic turf definitely has an impact.

The fixture congestion is also crazy, I know most have to deal with it but it hurts us.

ee056271dc8a7c6ff42afb89f2eb1c14.png

"Happy birthday, gaffe" said a few as they entered for their morning meeting prior to our huge Sligo Rovers tie.

"Thanks lads, but this Sligo game is huge. Bus is here in an hour so I want to go over some of the important aspects to this tie. We can't afford to give them any points, we like wide pitches but unfortunately the Showgrounds isn't quite that but we can still play wide.." I continued talking and talking.

We were getting on the bus when a call came through.

"Hello, James talking?" I didn't recognise the number and rarely answer but it was my birthday so could have been anyway.

"Yes, hello Bossman? It's Monday! Don't think I forget about you my friend!" The ecstatic voice bellowed back to me. The man Monday was up nice and early and remembered to give me a call. How about it.

"Still calling me bossman, are you?" I laughed back

"Of course, boss man. You are the true boss. Shaun Bartlett has changed team about so much - no Burds in starting team for heavens sake, no!?" Monday got angry all of a sudden before I calmed him down again.

"Not enjoying life at Santos anymore then? Why didn't you go to Bloemfontein Celtic then?"

"I had small hope that boss man would stay, but no Ireland for you. Everything is calm here now you know." he spoke so assertively. But he was right, South Africa was in a very safe position now. Agreements were made, legislation introduced.

"Yeah, well I mean - if you want we need a 19's manager? We are low on funds but you could build your own team up and play in the lea.."

"No boss man, I am not coming to Ireland. Ever!" and he hung up. He didn't actually even ever say Happy Birthday! I climbed on the bus and we were off to Sligo.

3cfa3034b50e6db1f4329b3980b620d9.png

Sligo was a nice looking place and it was a nice day so I was generally happy spending my birthday in Sligo - with the leagues workings we'd finally have a whole 6 days to prepare for the next tie, which turns out to be league leaders Galway - but that doesn't matter. Focus is still on Sligo Rovers and we were generally hopeful of 3 points. It'd be a big 3 points too, not only would we gain 3 points but they would gain 0 on a big Friday night of football.

"Boys, you know EXACTLY what is required of you to do today. It's the same every week, earn your money and lets win today!"

Things got off pretty well as a corner came in from us, headed poorly to the edge of the box and McCabe was there to drill it into the far left corner. 1-0!

"It's a goal for the gaffer, goal for the gaffer!" rang out from the travelling Hoops fans who found their voices early and most of the focus was on me and my birthday.

And then after 20 minutes, loanee Kaikai grabbed a very nice goal from the edge of the box! It was his first and he was ecstatic. As was I!

Billy Mehmet grabbed one back for the Red side after poor defendi.. offside! The chants focusing on me from the Hoops Support continued and I was really feeling quite chilled especially since it began to frustrate the home support and players on the field.

However, captain and key man Simon Madden let us down early in the second half as he fouled Mehmet with his back to goal and out wide - penalty kick. Converted. 2-1.

But straight from the restart, my South African ploy was introduced here that would regularly guarantee me a quick goal from the kick off! 3-1.

"He's our Jose Mourinhoooo, Jose Mourinhooo. It's James McKenzie, our Jose Mourinho!"

Okay, maybe that one was a figment of my imagination - but the Shamrock Rovers fans were really beginning to warm to me!

And Memery missed a big header, allowing Beattie through. 3-2. ****. We had a very short back four and it was only a matter of time we began to get punished for it. Real shame, here. Annoying.

A midfield mis-communication allowed Sligo room to maneuver and Mehmet found the net. 3-3. The fans went quiet.

And then our youngsters up top played the stupidest of passes, he was one on one and Agus was clearly ahead of him. No clue why he passed it, easy goal as the keeper was poorly positioned anyway.

Time was running out and we were wanting a 4th and the 3 points, another draw just would not do!

Agus was beginning to struggle to get going in the league so we brought in dark horse Maguire. His first touch brought the long ball down impeccably before he played a ball through for Ben, a poor first touch meant a driven ball back across goal was necessary and Maguire was there! 4-3!

"That's it lads. Now heads on the game, CONCENTRATE!"

And before I knew it they had a corner and we had 0 men on the 2 men on the front posts. 4-4.

We pressed, they countered and nothing really happened. The game drew to a close. What a game for my birthday! Needed those three points.

Mate good start at Shamrock. Hope you can takeout the All Ireland Cup!!