Sidibe's replacement welcomed! £5,000 as his contract runs out in 5 months.

887ef37c50d8b502c1fd14db03b7ecd1.png

Banda Inspires on his Debut!

832e6775c412534304ad64fc5fdbc4ce.png

494803e2e53a49ffb6ac9cf5e0bc27d8.png

Absolute chief of a debut!

Ultimately, though I am just grinding out this season now. Not a whole lot to look forward to as I aim for a move back to Europe. Can only be good for my career. Especially with the prospect of a top half finish here despite being touted for a relegation dog fight.

"James, bad news. A home near yours got hit and there's a few real problems around there that the police are trying to handle the situation" Shan said getting to her feet at the reception.

"Alex is coming to put you towards a hotel for the time being." She added.

"What? This is stupid man." Looks like the violence of South Africa had slowly but surely reached my home. Meaning that I really wasn't officially safe in South Africa. The riots and issues had calmed but sparked again after the police were caught on camera refusing to help a Mozambican man and since then everyone has bared the brunt of the most angry of the country. Peaceful protests over the mans treatment were met by violence and ever since then there's been crazy unrest.

Funny thing is, I am supposed to be meeting with the directors again over my expiring contract. But I can't even get to my own home.

69a77ab47b3ef75a9edcc057bc72b2ec.png

"Bossman, you have stopped caring and look what has happened, huh? The form, upset players, fans everything"

"Sorry, Monday man. It's not just me, players also feel safe in the league and have slacked off. We need a real will, going 2-0 up and losing 3-2 happens too often and going THREE up at Kaizer Chiefs to lose 4-3 is nothing to do with me. I got us in that lead early with our intensity and players slacked off. Don't ever say I stop caring, I do plan on leaving sure - but look around at the violence in this country. It's not something I am used to nor plan on getting used to." I ended up getting angry with the man who I once saw as my best friend. He ended up just getting angry with me and taking shots at me.

"Whatever, boss man. Whatever." he stormed off.

May I add though, the board are still desperate for my signature? Players look up to me and I am a constant highlight in the press for what I am doing seeing as I have no experience? Who the **** is Monday Magadla?

dae42a636a8cb294ab285e5278744b75.png

Still a good first year up in the Premiership and Banda looks like he was an inspired pickup!! Whats the plan now?

Still a good first year up in the Premiership and Banda looks like he was an inspired pickup!! Whats the plan now?

Secure safety and look at European opportunities, would leave Santos in a strong position and can leave looking good with safety.

89cda4cd22b2993d6ba47d81f052d4f0.png

"How much? huh? Free home and £1200 p/w?"

"No, not all the money in the world is keeping me here, just look at the news and you will see why!" I responded, I felt it was clear I had plans to leave since it was now May and I didn't want to stay in this country.

"That's pretty much £2000 per week! More, this is silly Mr McKenzie. Disappointing, we shall look at discussing a new deal again shortly."

"Okay, Goolam but I mean unless South Africa is peaceful and lovely again in 3 weeks then you may need to look elsewhere. Monday, the assistant manager, or Peter Mondela are too great candidates from the club.."

"Monday? You suggesting him is a joke! He has less experience than you. Get out my office. Good bye Mr Scotland!"

a56c5962369b9be7cf03926271972860.png

We had slumped and were close to slipping into a edgy final couple of games but the 3 points 100% mean Santos FC are safe. We won't manage a top half but still a very acceptable first season that was made harder due to the ongoing problems in South Africa.

"Well done on saving the club, I guess. Any changes to plans?" Monday asked as I tidied up a few bits and bobs.

"No Monday, nothing, I don't plan on renewing my contra.."

"You are a stupid, stupid man. I have a family and you will throw that away for me. This is my job!"

"What are you talking about? Me leaving has no bother to you - YOU. WERE. HERE. BEFORE. ME!" What on Earth was wrong with Monday now? Kids got issues!

Looking Ahead

I was back to the United Kingdom, and my home in Scotland after the season came to a conclusion. I was under contract for another 3 or 4 weeks officially and had to deal with daily emails from Santos asking if I had reconsidered, no real emails or anything of note was happening. Manchester City contacted myself and the club secretary about Santos FC joining Levante, Lazio and themselves in the Etihad Invitational which would take place early August live on BT Sport. Nice opportunity for the club and it would mean being able to spend time with City boss Mr Guardiola!

But that was it. My newly appointed agent, who contacted me after my Chesterfield link and my drunken night in London, had me now linked with La Berrichonne in France. The club was based in Châteauroux which wasn't too far away from Nantes, where I spent 6 months of my childhood.

It would have been huge, they had just been relegated from Ligue 1 but Daniel Sanchez was brought in instead.

I mean, what was a shame is that after our Santos side felt safe last season form was non-existent. We were a free three points to anyone and anyone checking this would see that and potentially be put off bringing me in.

bcfab7821378367c9e83f95f81420029.png

I still had a relatively decent record, 1 promotion then safety while being favourites for the drop - this all coming while in a foreign country and no past experience.

224e476807e4551323a4d85a3e5e689e.png

e35798b5212c7d270036ff93e68f161d.png

Either way, we still did our job and secured safety so really Barcelona should be giving me a call.

"Hey, Jeff? Yeah, I don't really know my standing in the game but I did alright over in South Africa. What's the chances of landing a job in the Scottish Premiership? I mean, I am Scottish - surely that helps?"

The Queen of the South post came available, they had been promoted and managed a 7th place finish. I'd love a job in Scotland. It's my home and if I landed a job in the top tier somehow then.

"You're having a laugh, James. Championship maybe, you won't get a post in the top tier. Too many top names in the hat."

Oh.

The wait continued then, as I sit back, watch the European Championship and wait for the correct offer to come through.. You never know I may stay at Santos FC, violence had calmed down a bit.

"Hello Bossman. It's Monday."

"I know it is you, no one else in this world calls me Bossman!" I joked back.

"And if you are calling about the Santos situation, don't." I added a little more seriously.

"Haha, of course boss man. I understand that deals now. But I have some news, you know Bloem Celtic, yes?"

"Aye, what about them?"

"They want me as assistant manager.. Muhsin Ertugral wants me as his assistant manager! And since you are leaving, boss man. I might do too."

384d8cd9818e4f84d06d21bfa2319bc6.png

"Congratulations. It will be a great opportunity for you, Santos is still a nice club though. Don't rush into anything. Keep in touch"
I added and hung up. When I arrived he had just been a coach who had a couple of qualifications, no experience and a lack of football knowledge but he still managed to work things out. His people skills were something else and by now he does speak some tactical sense. A real asset despite his eccentric ways and lack of experience. Going to miss that man!

The Summer of 2016

So, things were still happening as I came down to my final days on a deal with Santos FC. I'd check the news often to see what was new and Mr Monday turned down his move to Bloem Celtic! Crazy.

0cde643e952ea22bf90211f6c1c944a2.png

Would have been a huge opportunity for him but apparently my words about Santos put him off. This same day I was actually called by Goolam, the clubs chairman. The fans were getting on his back to either find a new boss or offer me a deal I'd want. I asked for time to think about it.

I was so set on leaving but maybe it isn't what is best for me? I mean career wise I could stay for another year, strengthen and push for a strong finish and maybe a cup but at the same time I wasn't safe.

Then my agent called.

"James, you have French links and all that aye? And a relegated Ligue 1. LIGUE UN, side was almost interested in you? LEMANS FC need a boss, National, promotion favourites. It'd be tough but could happen."

"Sure, say I am interested and hopefully an interview comes my way at least!"

"Yes, we can hope. But Santos may sack you before you can run your deal out and that never looks good for a boss. May as well officially announce your intentions to leave?"

And with 1 day left on my deal.

221534c698de3fbad3865359f6343b02.png

Unfortunately LEMANS FC had plans to bring in someone else anyway, therefore I missed out on anything there. Maybe I am punching above my weight, all I know right now is I want to manage in big games. The Champions League, even things like the French Cup - so many teams from all over compete. The FA Cup. Anything of note. I want to be a top manager and if it means taking over at a semi-pro French side or 6th tier English side. I'd do it.

"James, I tried pushing you into a Burton interview - league one and all that now - but it didn't come off. Lincoln however, in the Conference, have invited you to an interview. The media has them pushing play offs. Could be an opportunity worth taking?"

//

"Welcome to the Sincil Bank, Mr McKenzie. I am Roger Morrison, club chairman, and here's a few directors who'll be watching over the interview. Take a seat."

I was nervous, I don't know why and then the questions began to come and they were a little difficult to answer but I did what I could.

RM: Firstly, our previous manager left much sooner than anticipated can we trust you'd see out your deal with us?

JM: Of course, contracts are there for a reason aren't they? Spent my 2 years in South Africa and left due to the political and xenophobic problems.

-

RM: And we'd maybe see the South African Premiership as a better league than the conference, what made think about the drop to the Conference?

JM: I wouldn't have called it a drop really. A lot more talented managers about in England and the Conference is a league that has something special about it. It would be a great experience.

-

RM: And can you talk me through your lack of managerial experience? It is something that worries us.

JM: Well, I'm 32 now and spent 12 years working full time in football. I spent a lot of time in Scotland with youth development and then the South Africa venture was my first as manager but it went well with a promotion and then strong finish the second season around.

-

RM: Our expectations would be that you would challenge for the title and ultimately hopefully gain promotion. Thoughts?

WIN THE TITLE? WHAT?

JM: Sure, squad looks very strong and I feel I could challenge for the Conference Crown. For sure.

Win the title? Predicted to finish 8th! Roger then discussed the fact I'd have a small non-playing team and a lack of real resources. I said I could work with it.

We shall hope they get back to me. Could be fun.

It wasn't.

2b1eb1b3bf970b3a240be6eb4901b1fa.png

Actually gutted. Was looking forward to a shot at promotion to League 2. [writing this as I watch the Conference Play-Off Final was a lot of motivation].

May be time to sign on to be honest with you.

2635bc572cae8b9d633af288c701aaab.png

"Hi James, it's Jeff. Gillingham have unfortunately gone with Steve Lomas, however Shamrock Rovers are interested in bringing you in and have offered you a contract. Similar money to what you earned in South Africa and are paying for a hotel for you. We either take it or wait it out and hope for another job in England? Brighton is available?"

"Can we delay the decision making process? Let Brighton know I would be interested but I mean if it is gonna be an interview then a 'sorry but' then I'll pack my bags and leave for Ireland!"

"Why don't you just go with Rovers maybe? Good opportunity to make another stamp on another league, do alright there and Scottish Premiership clubs will be interested. Like you wanted."

"You know what, yeah. I'll fly out tomorrow. Let's go to Ireland!"

4f7d1de03b2d5dee43e292bb6b7a2b52.png

Irish Football Venture

1f6c76f9240357fa23e2893acc24faa9.png

I mean, Shamrock Rovers is a club I've always known about. It's a good opportunity despite their poor year last time around I really feel I could have a strong season when it rolls around and compete.. maybe even for the title?

6df84a2d567da71af28884463384f096.png

Their standings this past year, 20 points off the top but a 20 points I feel I could work back, that's only really 6 more wins. Everyone who finished above us + Bohemians are well known clubs and it is important we do much better with me at the helm. I have a 1 year deal and the aim would really be to finish in a European spot, but I want to fight for the title.

Upon arrival in Ireland, I was welcomed and put to my hotel before being brought to the Tallaght Stadium to talk to everyone.

87a4be45c3597f6abacb0b82b45e4cda.png

I was at first spoken to with the chairman, nothing really of note but he through information, leaflets, the lot at me. 17x Irish Premier Division winners, 24 Irish Senior Challenge Cup winners. Impressive.

There's no Gary Twigg at the club which is very sad indeed.

And to be honest, the assistants report and tapes from last year suggest there is a few problems at the club. The team are missing some real talent. Keith Fahey is key and we need to build around his experience.

My Santos FC side definitely looked stronger but I can work on things here.

The finances here are also not looking too healthy but we can work with it. I had a bit of work to do then would officially have holiday time since I have joined at the end of their season.

Some key players from the past season

b9d44ff3d83e12db866f7f2359ad7504.png

628d343b294d2bb81c17f43e1ff86ddb.png

71dd1bde49be545b6e549d6e275246c6.png

One thing about Irish football is this crazy Winter break between seasons and that has meant a very boring time sitting around in Ireland. I mean, I just sit here looking at our financial situation, fixing our staff up and wishing I had some cash to spend on talent that could bring us back into real contention.

572bd5b62b3c8077c6680fc8309d150b.png

Coaches have their jobs! I have also identified the left wing role as our weakest and with our little finances have sorted the move for Billy Dennehy on a free as his contract comes to an end. Very solid out wide and can really get a good ball into the box. I tried to move Broderick Burds over from South Africa but funds and his disinterest in Ireland.

One special thing about Ireland is the All Ireland Cup, where Northern Irish sides come against those from the South! We are set to meet Portadown in the first round.. Still almost 3 months away till the season starts though.

cbc7c8b927903ed575f0bcf439def16a.png

Always great, financial figures are still in a bad way apparently..

d11b5d4374a3583de539152206caf667.png

Not to pleasant but I am getting paid to make sure we turn things around on the field - which cannot be done when I don't see the players for another month!