Rooney Awaiting News on Punishment

• Thread starter Thread starter fm1063
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 334
  • Views Views 17K

Should Rooney Receive a Punishment?

• Total voters
Now that's a theory that makes slight sense - Though doing it into the camera when the people who were abusing him were in the stands is quite odd. That being said, Footballers get abused through chants and boos EVERY game, if this was the case you don't think Rooney deserves the punishment for not having the mental strength to refrain like most others do and swearing into the camera?

You'd could argure it was just a release after so much of it, and the west ham stuff was particularly vile

Why are you turning it into the world is out to get United? You admitted yourself there's inconsistency, so thanks for winning my argument for me. I never said the world's out to get United, I said multiple times Rooney should have been banned for the elbow for example. I said it's inconsistency and that Rooney has been scapegoated, and since you admit both..

If you're talking about inconsistency in general, I agree with you, it's rare that you see these associations do a good job of punishing people, but that's obviously not what we're talking about. People are claiming that this particular decision is inconsistent, which it's not. There hasn't been a similar incident. The only other one was Drogba running up to the camera and saying "it's a ******* disgrace," something he rightfully was banned for. The other part I was disagreeing with was the argument that the inconsistency is the FA being unfair in general toward Rooney/ManU, which is something I definitely disagree with. Maybe you didn't claim it but a lot of people are claiming that the only reason Rooney is getting a punishment is because the FA is out to get ManU/Rooney. Also, I never said Rooney was a scapegoat, I said they made an example out of him...since no one has ever gone up to the camera and swore at it, they have to punish the first person to do it harshly so as to send a message to the players: don't swear at the camera.

Now that's a theory that makes slight sense - Though doing it into the camera when the people who were abusing him were in the stands is quite odd. That being said, Footballers get abused through chants and boos EVERY game, if this was the case you don't think Rooney deserves the punishment for not having the mental strength to refrain like most others do and swearing into the camera?

Abusing him and Abusing his wife and family are very different. It is not about mental strength. It is about temperament.Not everyone has the same temperament. Why should his wife get abuses for no reason. Pathetic.

Like i said at most fine would have done all parties good. But Ban? It is just non sense and FA always try to make a statement by punishing big club and big players but they will let slip so many other incidents.

One got punished and the other didn't. Inconsistency is what many are talking about here.

Punishable offense manybe, but not Ban worthy.

Yes I noticed that was a general theme of the thread, but I wasn't talking about inconsistency when I said Rooney should've been punished, I was talking about this single case.

Oh, and I think it is ban worthy, Drogba got a ban - Rooney should too. You know, for consistency's sake.

Mike. said:
You'd could argure it was just a release after so much of it, and the west ham stuff was particularly vile

It could've been, everybody has their own theory on who that was aimed at. And perhaps so, but Rooney isn't the only one who suffered some vile insults in a match, but as I said, this is no reason to lose your cool in front of a camera.

If you're talking about inconsistency in general, I agree with you, it's rare that you see these associations do a good job of punishing people, but that's obviously not what we're talking about. People are claiming that this particular decision is inconsistent, which it's not. There hasn't been a similar incident. The only other one was Drogba running up to the camera and saying "it's a ******* disgrace," something he rightfully was banned for. The other part I was disagreeing with was the argument that the inconsistency is the FA being unfair in general toward Rooney/ManU, which is something I definitely disagree with. Maybe you didn't claim it but a lot of people are claiming that the only reason Rooney is getting a punishment is because the FA is out to get ManU/Rooney. Also, I never said Rooney was a scapegoat, I said they made an example out of him...since no one has ever gone up to the camera and swore at it, they have to punish the first person to do it harshly so as to send a message to the players: don't swear at the camera.

he was singled out over being a "not being a role model", virtually brooking's own words, so why not punish all the other players who crowd and abuse the ref in games? why not take action over cole having air rifle and shooting someone?

Not all Liverpool fans are completely bias ;)

Still biased ;)

On topic though, FA are pro United is such a bulllshit even after so many incidents people still believe that. Maybe that makes them feel better.

I hope from now on people don't say that the FA are pro-United.

Such a narrow-minded view, as evidenced by this.

Ridiculous punishment IMO.

Indeed.

I'm disgusted at them. Even a fine would've been ridiculous, let alone a two-match ban.

he was singled out over being a "not being a role model", virtually brooking's own words, so why not punish all the other players who crowd and abuse the ref in games? why not take action over cole having air rifle and shooting someone?

Because that is nothing to do with the FA? It was a club and police matter and the club felt they dealt with it correctly and the kid didn't want to press charges, so the police couldn't do much.

Yes I noticed that was a general theme of the thread, but I wasn't talking about inconsistency when I said Rooney should've been punished, I was talking about this single case.

Oh, and I think it is ban worthy, Drogba got a ban - Rooney should too. You know, for consistency's sake..

Well UEFA and FA are tow different organizations ;)

Drogba's acions towards ref didn't help his case either.

Drogba was banned because he was "found guilty of making insulting comments to the referee by Uefa at the end of the game at Stamford Bridge" not for swearing into a camera.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8043277.stm
Why is swearing into a camera so much worse than any example where referee's are shouted at by players?
Everyone could hear Rooney use "offensive, insulting and / or abusive language." but everyone can see when a referee is clearly subjected to "offensive, insulting and / or abusive language." after a controversial decision. Yet when was the last time anyone was sent off or given a retrospective ban?
It's inconsistent.

Because that is nothing to do with the FA? It was a club and police matter and the club felt they dealt with it correctly and the kid didn't want to press charges, so the police couldn't do much.

actually it is, still part of the game.

Rooney and Scholes were banned by FA when they got red card in a meaningless friendly that happened maybe in Netherlands..It had nothing to do with FA. How often have you seen this happening.

From another thread:

All sadly predictable.

They whipped up a storm over the elbow incident (while totally ignoring an almost carbon copy of it involving Ashley Young and Jamie O'Hara a week later, showing how their 'outrage' is/was entirely selective). When Rooney wasn't banned - like loads of players before him hadn't been for similar behaviour (Gerrard, Huddlestone, Brown, etc), but without a tenth of the hoo-ha - that gave the impression he was 'getting away with it'.

Now they've once again whipped up a storm over this muffled swearword non-incident. And this time around, the F.A. will have felt under huge pressure not to be seen to be letting him 'get away with it' again, with the elbow incident being so fresh in the memory.

So now the sections of the press that seem to take a real pleasure in going after Rooney have got what they wanted. An F.A. charge. More headlines. More 'scandal'. More 'crisis'. More excuses to excoriate him. More reason to put his name on the back page so they can shift a few more units.

If I was Rooney, i'd probably be telling the wider footballing world to 'f*ck off' as well.

Meanwhile:

Micah Richards says '*******' live on BBC telly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KAk7o1gQm4

Was he charged? Was he b*llocks. It was instantly brushed off and forgotten about. Just as Saturday's non-incident would have been if it was almost any other player.

I'm really sick and tired of hearing not only on this thread about Rooney having to be a role model, but on the radio too. Footballers are not meant to be father figures, they are paid to do a job-play football. It's the parents job to inspire the kids. And judging by some of the fans chants against Rooney and his family, they blatantly fail at being parents-they're a shocking example. So, the role model thing is bull. Inspire kids to play football yes, role model no. The parents (should) tell kids whats right and wrong.

Players who crowd and abuse refs in games should be punished, IMO only the captain should be able to speak the ref and maybe the player who received the punishment, but remember, when they swear at refs in the game you can't hear or see them. Also, the reason they are lenient is because this happens so often that it's difficult to punish someone for doing it...because if you punish one player you could point out all of the other incidents were players crowded the ref and no punishment was received. This is a completely different scenario, you have a basically unprecedented act that occurred that's very easy to punish (they can punish Rooney without appearing to be inconsistent because no other players have done this). Rooney deliberately did this right in front of the camera so everyone could read his lips. So two completely different things. As far as Cole goes, that didn't happen on national television or during a game...it was after a Chelsea practice in the locker room, a private area. A completely different matter and one that should have been dealt with internally.

Even if the FA punishment was harsh (I think it was, should have only been a one-game ban), why is everyone so mad at the FA and not the least bit annoyed with Rooney? He made a huge mistake and it cost the team. Maybe the WH fans were insulting him, but the famous players get insulted all of the time, and part of being a professional is keeping your cool. Rooney is old enough to know better and he completely let down his team. If an Independiente player or someone on the USNT did this and received the same punishment, I wouldn't complain and I would be much more ****** off at him than at the disciplinary body.

I'm really sick and tired of hearing not only on this thread about Rooney having to be a role model, but on the radio too. Footballers are not meant to be father figures, they are paid to do a job-play football. It's the parents job to inspire the kids. And judging by some of the fans chants against Rooney and his family, they blatantly fail at being parents-they're a shocking example. So, the role model thing is bull. Inspire kids to play football yes, role model no. The parents (should) tell kids whats right and wrong.

nail hit on head, Paul robinson said close to the same thing on MOTD. Such rank hypocrisy from people, including some on this forum

Back